Cech-in or Petr-out

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Cech-in or Petr-out

Post by Nos89 »

Been a lot of discussion about cech's inability to play confidently from the back. I feel sorry for the guy as he does still make the saves 19 so far this season, 4th most of all PL keepers so far, yet has conceded 8 goals and he is clearly unsettled and uncomfortable with receiving the ball in tight situations. At 36 is it too much to ask him to totally change his way of playing or should he be replaced by Leno?

Re: Cech-in or Petr-out

Post by 1989 »

He's way passed it. Needs replacing asap.

About time Leno got his chance. Would even play Martinez over current Cech.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Cech should of been bounced out of the side a long time ago,

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Borderline repeat thread Nos mate! :D :wink:

Personally I thought he was very good in his first season with us - and was a golden gloves winner too.

But he has been in steady decline since and that decline has gone into overdrive over the last 12 to 18 months.

He is being exposed for his limitations in the current system too as he is very obviously not comfortable or competent with the ball at his feet.

It is now 100% deffo only a matter of time before we lose a tight game by a 1-0 Cech own goal or gifted goal straight from his feet to an oppo striker. :|

Drop him and let's see what a big chunk of our pathetic "warchest" actually purchased is my vote.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:16 am
Been a lot of discussion about cech's inability to play confidently from the back. I feel sorry for the guy as he does still make the saves 19 so far this season, 4th most of all PL keepers so far, yet has conceded 8 goals and he is clearly unsettled and uncomfortable with receiving the ball in tight situations. At 36 is it too much to ask him to totally change his way of playing or should he be replaced by Leno?

Personally I think that people are using his age as a cop out excuse for the absolute shitiness of his passing performances :roll:

I argued when we bought him that we paid way too much for him (wasnt a popular statement at that time), and I think that his performances since have backed that up - yes he has had good games and made some excellent saves, but as the old saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day :roll: There is much to agree with when it comes to dick's idea's/gameplan, and I dont agree when some fans say that he should scrap this playing out from the back for now - what I do agree 100% with is the absolute necessity to play the players that suit his gameplan the most, and there is no doubt that Leno is far, far more suited to that strategy than cech is. Time will tell if he is the goalkeeper that we need him to be as regards saves and dominating his area, but cech is killing the confidence of his defenders and you can see that he is giving the whole team the shits everytime the ball is at his feet :oops: As a guy that was prepared to largely write off this season, I think that we and emery and the players need to see sooner or later whether Leno is the long term answer for this position, and I am apalled that this change doesnt seem to be imminent - playing Leno in the cup games with a largely back-up team is not a fair stage for Leno to show his quality (or lack thereof), and a cup performance every few weeks will not allow him to get into any type of rythem/form, and will not allow him to build up a working relationship with our first choice defenders.

Putting Leno in the team NOW is absolutely the right thing to do imo, and I suspect that if this was a poll, it would be the greatest landslide result in this forum's history (except maybe 2smooth's should I stay or go thread :wink: :lol: :lol: )

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

I don't think changing the keeper at this stage will make a blind bit of difference at the moment, the defence is poor (and Unai knows it) and Leno will not fare much better than his predecessor, let's see a tactical change with "Play the way yer facing" quite simply less of the tippy tappy round the 18 yard area!
Anyone would think we play like Brazil..... :D

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 am
I don't think changing the keeper at this stage will make a blind bit of difference at the moment, the defence is poor (and Unai knows it) and Leno will not fare much better than his predecessor, let's see a tactical change with "Play the way yer facing" quite simply less of the tippy tappy round the 18 yard area!

Agreed, an experienced keeper is what we need at the moment when we have such a shit "defence". Putting a young keeper, new to the PL and England, in goal behind that back 4 would destroy him before he's even started.
Yes Cechs kicking is poor but he has saved us from a hiding against City and kept us in the games against WH and Chelsea, so while he's not the best around, he is far from the worst and should be our NO. 1 this season with a view to Leno taking over next year.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPARKSY wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:18 pm
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Agreed, an experienced keeper is what we need at the moment when we have such a shit "defence". Putting a young keeper, new to the PL and England, in goal behind that back 4 would destroy him before he's even started.
Yes Cechs kicking is poor but he has saved us from a hiding against City and kept us in the games against WH and Chelsea, so while he's not the best around, he is far from the worst and should be our NO. 1 this season with a view to Leno taking over next year.
I am of the feeling that augie and a few others here will revisit these comments pretty soon - just after Cech has lost us a game by scuffing the ball into his own net.... :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:39 pm
SPARKSY wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

I am of the feeling that augie and a few others here will revisit these comments pretty soon - just after Cech has lost us a game by scuffing the ball into his own net.... :lol: :wink:

Even allowing for that, he is talking about Leno like he is some wet behind the ears kid - he is 26 years old, has over 300 appearances in the bundesliga, and has played international football for germany ffs. He may not have experience of playing in the premier league but he has experience aplenty 8)
I should also point out that "an experienced keeper" is not what we need at the moment ............ what we need is a keeper of the required quality and we know that cech isnt that guy, so why not put leno in ?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

As a goalkeeper he is past it and has been for two two seasons now. Concedes a few goals a season that a good PL keeper would save because he can’t get down. Obviously nowhere near the same league as the best keepers. Complete lacks command over what is admittedly a fairly shambolic defence and it’s got to the point where you can see defenders are nervous about him which is the death knell.

Being a complete liability with the ball at his feet just makes his position even more untenable, particularly with the way we are trying to play. He has already nearly given away a few goals already in four games.

To be honest it feels a bit like Lehmann in his last season with us. Minus the eccentricity and arrogance.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SPARKSY wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Naughty DB!.... :box: :wink:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

He's shite and should've been punted long ago,end of.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

augie wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
SPARKSY wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Even allowing for that, he is talking about Leno like he is some wet behind the ears kid - he is 26 years old, has over 300 appearances in the bundesliga, and has played international football for germany ffs. He may not have experience of playing in the premier league but he has experience aplenty 8)
I should also point out that "an experienced keeper" is not what we need at the moment ............ what we need is a keeper of the required quality and we know that cech isnt that guy, so why not put leno in ?

We are asking Emery to come in and change the way we play and are willing to give him time to change things yet, you are asking Cech to play a different style and aren't willing to give him the same. You can't have it both ways.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

SPARKSY wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

Who's worse then?? If he's not the worst, he's certainly not far off.

augie

Post by augie »

SPARKSY wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
SPARKSY wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:

We are asking Emery to come in and change the way we play and are willing to give him time to change things yet, you are asking Cech to play a different style and aren't willing to give him the same. You can't have it both ways.

I dont see the point, at 36 years of age, asking cech to change - no player no matter how good or bad he is, can completely change his game overnight, so you tell me what is the point in playing cech when you know that he might be 37 by the time he masters it :roll: You have a keeper who RIGHT NOW is compatible to emery's system, so player a geriatric in a bicycle cap makes zero sense :roll: