Europa League |Arsenal vs Sporting Lisbon|Thursday 08/11/18 - 20:00|

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Europa League |Arsenal vs Sporting Lisbon|Thursday 08/11/18 - 20:00|

Post by SydneyGooner »

I'd be happy with a point.

falkirk goon

Re: Europa League |Arsenal vs Sporting Lisbon|Thursday 08/11/18 - 20:00|

Post by falkirk goon »

They are shite...we are picking up results whether we play shite or not....game will be a pile of shite..... :barscarf:

clockender1

HRe: Europa League |Arsenal vs Sporting Lisbon|Thursday 08/11/18 - 20:00|

Post by clockender1 »

We need to win, to make sure we finish top. Dick is aiming to win this cup.

A great chance for Danny, smith Rowe and iwobi to shine. Holding too, and the Spanish kid.

2-0. Danny and Ramsay.

Post by 1989 »

Save Iwobi for the league games.

Play the useless Mkhitaryan and a bunch of kids in this one. Oh, and Ramsey.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

I'd play this line-up.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:56 am
I'd play this line-up.

Happy with this line up but I'd like to see 'kid with the hair' get in their box a bit more. That could leave us a bit short in defence I know, but Ramsey will have to do a bit more in our half to cover. 1-0 to the Arsenal. :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SydneyGooner wrote:
I'd play this line-up.

Comedy Iwobi, Mickey Tarragon and the Welsh Messi-Lite in the same midfield?! :shock: No way. That puts way too much work and responsibility on The Dozer and to a lesser extent the inexperienced Smith-Rowe. We would simply get over run in the middle.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
I'd play this line-up.

Comedy Iwobi, Mickey Tarragon and the Welsh Messi-Lite in the same midfield?! :shock: No way. That puts way too much work and responsibility on The Dozer and to a lesser extent the inexperienced Smith-Rowe. We would simply get over run in the middle.
If it weren't for the left back crisis we have atm ideally I would have had Maitland-Niles partner Doozy in midfield or even El-Neny if he wasn't injured but regardless that midfield I've listed should be more than good enough to get the job done fairly comfortably.

Sporting are currently a shambles having just sacked their manager and have three first team players out.
But they will have to plot their way past Unai Emery’s in form side without a manager after previous boss Jose Peseiro was sacked at the end of last week.

It is reported that former Ajax manager Marcel Keizer will replace him, but not until after the game in north London.

That means that Tiago Fernandes, who currently works within Sporting’s academy, will take charge of the senior side against Arsenal on Thursday evening.

And in a further blow Sporting’s hopes, key midfielder Rodrigo Battaglia suffered a knee injury at the weekend that looks set to keep him out for the rest of the season.

It’s being reported in Portugal that defender Stefan Ristovski and winger Rafinha will also miss the Arsenal game and that the squad is stretched so thin that Fernandes is having to call up academy players just to make up the numbers in training.
Source

augie

Post by augie »

SydneyGooner wrote:
I'd play this line-up.

Personally I would prioritise starting smith rowe and guendouzi above all else, and if possible I would play maitland-niles alongside the dozy 8)

I would like to play ramsey as well just to remind him that he is now just a squad player that will be wheeled out with the back-ups for games like this 8)

augie

Post by augie »

Does anyone know what the story with sokritas is ? I hate seeing a line-up without him in it, although I wouldn't play him in this game anyway

wibble

Post by wibble »

Also what’s happened with our other Greek defender (movrapranos?). Featured in a few games at end of last season but not seen him since, has he even been on the bench for europa games?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:27 pm
Does anyone know what the story with sokritas is ? I hate seeing a line-up without him in it, although I wouldn't play him in this game anyway
He has a fitness test before the game - nacho too.

We will be much stronger with a Sokratis, holding, , lichtsteiner and kolasinac back line in coming games.

I really hope Dick sticks with holding and drops mustafi until he improves.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
I'd play this line-up.

If it weren't for the left back crisis we have atm ideally I would have had Maitland-Niles partner Doozy in midfield or even El-Neny if he wasn't injured but regardless that midfield I've listed should be more than good enough to get the job done fairly comfortably.

Sporting are currently a shambles having just sacked their manager and have three first team players out.
But they will have to plot their way past Unai Emery’s in form side without a manager after previous boss Jose Peseiro was sacked at the end of last week.

It is reported that former Ajax manager Marcel Keizer will replace him, but not until after the game in north London.

That means that Tiago Fernandes, who currently works within Sporting’s academy, will take charge of the senior side against Arsenal on Thursday evening.

And in a further blow Sporting’s hopes, key midfielder Rodrigo Battaglia suffered a knee injury at the weekend that looks set to keep him out for the rest of the season.

It’s being reported in Portugal that defender Stefan Ristovski and winger Rafinha will also miss the Arsenal game and that the squad is stretched so thin that Fernandes is having to call up academy players just to make up the numbers in training.
Source
I've named three players there that simply cannot retain possession and give it away cheaply continuously. Sporting going through a rough season doesn't preclude them from taking advantage of a seriously piss weak and open midfield.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Does nobody else think we are missing a young striker? if the boy Eddie is soon meant to be the 3rd choice (as i dont think dick is renewing welbeck contract) then we should play him, or find a young striker to take a punt on.

how many decades since we had a first team/squad striker from the youth team?

its not a key area for us to fill as we have two decent strikers, but its good have a young player behind them for when we rest them.

Post by 1989 »

wibble wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:06 pm
Also what’s happened with our other Greek defender (movrapranos?). Featured in a few games at end of last season but not seen him since, has he even been on the bench for europa games?
Mavro is injured.