Reiss Nelson

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Reiss Nelson

Post by SydneyGooner »

phpBB [video]

As we all probably know by now he's tearing it up at the moment in Germany and is now averaging a goal or an assist every 54 minutes in the Bundesliga after his goal yesterday. Considering he's still only 18 we've got a kid here that's easily worth £50 million+ in today's market.

With Welbeck out for rest of the season pretty much does anybody think we recalling him back from loan in January or should he see the season out with Hoffenheim?

northbank123

Re: Reiss Nelson

Post by northbank123 »

Brilliant move to loan him out to a decent side with in a really competitive league at a good standard and with a manager progressive enough to play a youngster. Will be great for him to get some quality experience without being crowned future England captain by Match of the Day pundits if he has a few decent games.

Feel like Gnabry might have benefited from something like this rather than shipping him off to let Pulis stick him in the reserves behind a bunch of cloggers and publicly slag him off.

Who knows, if we hadn’t fucked him around maybe he could be at a massive club like Bayern and a full German international.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

And to answer the question, given that he is flying over there I would be minded to let him have the full season there and if needs be loan a utility forward. We are thin in that area with Welbeck out.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:33 pm
And to answer the question, given that he is flying over there I would be minded to let him have the full season there and if needs be loan a utility forward. We are thin in that area with Welbeck out.

Agree 100% - chances are he will get more game time with them (and develop better and quicker as a result) than if he came back to us early

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

augie wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:38 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Agree 100% - chances are he will get more game time with them (and develop better and quicker as a result) than if he came back to us early
Far better to leave the lad where he is and give him a full season with Hoffenheim. He'll get more game time there than with us if recalled in January. Nketiah deserves a chance as official backup as he's a more natural replacement for Welbeck.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:32 pm
Brilliant move to loan him out to a decent side with in a really competitive league at a good standard and with a manager progressive enough to play a youngster. Will be great for him to get some quality experience without being crowned future England captain by Match of the Day pundits if he has a few decent games.

Feel like Gnabry might have benefited from something like this rather than shipping him off to let Pulis stick him in the reserves behind a bunch of cloggers and publicly slag him off.

Who knows, if we hadn’t fucked him around maybe he could be at a massive club like Bayern and a full German international.
I think loaning forward players out to German and Spanish teams is a good idea, the owners of the smaller teams in the PL are way too scared of relegation, which means come the second half of the season, the managers are all on borrowed time, and in turn too scared to give them time to make mistakes, when you loan out a young player it's often because he is not 100% ready so they need to expect the good and the bad.

You end up with them perma-benched or Injured in the PL. :twisted:

augie

Post by augie »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:39 pm
northbank123 wrote:

I think loaning forward players out to German and Spanish teams is a good idea, the owners of the smaller teams in the PL are way too scared of relegation, which means come the second half of the season, the managers are all on borrowed time, and in turn too scared to give them time to make mistakes, when you loan out a young player it's often because he is not 100% ready so they need to expect the good and the bad.

For me the biggest thing is that you are sending them out to learn how to be proper pro's - in england kids are blinded by the money and fame, and are quickly (prematurely) put up on pedestals by the english media, and they can often lose sight of what they need to do to have a LONG successful career as a pro footballer. In germany nobody is bigger than the game itself, and money and greed doesnt dictate

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:32 pm
AkneyGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:39 pm
northbank123 wrote:

For me the biggest thing is that you are sending them out to learn how to be proper pro's - in england kids are blinded by the money and fame, and are quickly (prematurely) put up on pedestals by the english media, and they can often lose sight of what they need to do to have a LONG successful career as a pro footballer. In germany nobody is bigger than the game itself, and money and greed doesnt dictate
True and it might also get them away from the mates for a while who may encourage them to go out drinking and whatever else just so they can share in thier fame / money they must get "hanger on" types .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The knee jerk reaction is to want to bring him home based on his current run of form but for me that would be a mistake.

Having a run of form in Germany does not mean a young player is ready for the PL. The Bundesliga is a good tough league but it is nowhere near as fast, competitive, or technical as the PL.

Better to leave him there for the season to continue getting game time and thus invaluable competitive playing experience and confidence.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Of mins of pure Joy and not a babe or a tissue in sight ,great vid !

Post by 1989 »

He's absolute quality.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:16 pm
He's absolute quality.
Well it's not like you've said that on here about every single Arsenal youth team prospect over the last decade or so - oh hang on.....

Ha only kidding mate. :D :wink:

Nelson looks the real deal alright but then the jaded cynical old bastard that I am can't help but remember all those "top class" youth prospects that ultimately failed at the very top level.....

JET
Hoyte (s) plural
Lansbury
Randall
Merida
Barazite
Gilbert
Frimpong :oops:
Miquel
Aneke
Eisfeld
Akpom
Etc etc etc..... :wink:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 am
1989 wrote:
He's absolute quality.
Well it's not like you've said that on here about every single Arsenal youth team prospect over the last decade or so - oh hang on.....

Nelson looks the real deal alright but then the jaded cynical old bastard that I am can't help but remember all those "top class" youth prospects that ultimately failed at the very top level.....

JET
Hoyte (s) plural
Lansbury
Randall
Merida
Barazite
Gilbert
Miquel
Aneke
Eisfeld
Akpom
I honestly never thought any of them would make it at a top club, the only youth plsyers I've got excited by were iwobi (first few games), Cole, Wilshire, Bentley, the German fella we sold and pennant.

The boy Nelson does look good though.

Most on that list looked average when I saw them, I thought Larrson looked good but could see he had zero pace.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

difference is this fella nelson is actually doing it for the first team in a top european league, arguably a tougher league than the PL, and at a struggling club too. he obviously needs all the experience he can get there but looking at our wide options right now there is no-one better than him in his position right now.

iwobi has his moments, micky is to be quite honest, a dud and welbeck out for possibly the rest of the season so if we can get him back in january and give him regular starts then that would benefit everyone :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 am
1989 wrote:
He's absolute quality.

JET
Hoyte (s) plural
Lansbury
Randall
Merida
Barazite
Gilbert
Miquel
Aneke
Eisfeld
Akpom
None of those players you've listed come close to Nelson either in terms of talent or mentality. The boy is 18 and destroying the Bundesliga, how many of those lads can say they have achieved that in their careers thus far, let alone when they were 18?

I also said Guendouzi will become world class right after watching him make his debut for us in pre-season and I was laughed out of the forum. :wink: