The 'Irish love a bandwagon' thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
goonersid

Re: The 'Irish love a bandwagon' thread

Post by goonersid »

There isn’t a country in the world that doesn’t love a “bandwagon “ and so what?
It’s called having a bit of national pride! As long as you don’t suddenly consider yourself an expert on a sport you haven’t got a clue about, then imo it’s fine to indulge yourself and celebrate any success your fellow countrymen achieve!
Whether it’s pub games like darts or sports like football, rugby, cricket or even fucking golf!! Surely you’d back someone from your own soil ahead of a Johnny Foreigner !

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Oh Sweet Jesus this little country is knee deep in cliches this morning. I need refuge somewhere, anywhere. Of course our elevation to being the best rugby team in the history of the world and beyond coincides with "that soccer team" and "them soccer lads " being muck. And aren't the bandwagon cliche merchants loving it. I don't like International Football so Ireland's current plight doesn't really bother me, I hate Rugby so Ireland's recent win doesn't interest me.
I have broken so many laws in good old Oierland in recent times..I don't like rugby, I don't like Ed Sheeran and I don't go on Social Media to solve homelessness by clicking like and blaming Government for everything.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 am
Oh Sweet Jesus this little country is knee deep in cliches this morning. I need refuge somewhere, anywhere. Of course our elevation to being the best rugby team in the history of the world and beyond coincides with "that soccer team" and "them soccer lads " being muck. And aren't the bandwagon cliche merchants loving it. I don't like International Football so Ireland's current plight doesn't really bother me, I hate Rugby so Ireland's recent win doesn't interest me.
I have broken so many laws in good old Oierland in recent times..I don't like rugby, I don't like Ed Sheeran and I don't go on Social Media to solve homelessness by clicking like and blaming Government for everything.
We are kindred spirits my friend. Apparently I'm a "killjoy" because I refused to go to my tosser brother in law's "Rugby party". I said to my wife if I want my arsehole fingered I'd ask her to do it.

augie

Post by augie »

I am 100% in agreement with my compatriots there - all weekend I have endured absolute bollox talk about rugby from c.unts who have never been to a game in their life :roll: Two of my footie buddies were posting crap about "top class rugby" performance, but when I asked them how many scores from play there was in the game, or how much quality attacking play either backline's produced, neither of the w.ankers had a response. These prize d.ickheads have 3 local rugby teams within a 10 mile radius of their houses, but neither has attended a game at any of the grounds. One of the d.ickheads decided his best response to me was bringing up my support of the nfl even though I dont go to their games - that argument lost traction as soon as I pointed out that I travelled over to London for 2 games and with to new York for 1 game, whilst these c.unts wont go down the road to look at a game but feel connected enough to try to ram rugby down my throat :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:

Don't get me wrong cos it was a really tough game and beating the all blacks is no small feat, but the reality is that it was a friendly ffs and they will tear us a new arsehole in next years world cup 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:56 pm
There isn’t a country in the world that doesn’t love a “bandwagon “ and so what?
It’s called having a bit of national pride! As long as you don’t suddenly consider yourself an expert on a sport you haven’t got a clue about, then imo it’s fine to indulge yourself and celebrate any success your fellow countrymen achieve!
Whether it’s pub games like darts or sports like football, rugby, cricket or even fucking golf!! Surely you’d back someone from your own soil ahead of a Johnny Foreigner !
Have you read this thread, sid....? :lol:

Personally I couldn't give a fuck if they're from my "own soil" tbh... :x

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I get that people like Rugby even if I don't see the attraction myself, it's the force fed saturation from the media and the self righteous tone that goes with it that gets to me. It's the bandwagon hopping that our nation has mastered that pissed me off. People who two and a half years ago were mouthing about there being no reason why Ireland wouldn't do well in Euro 16 are now using every opportunity to compare the football and rugby sides in a derogatory manner.
My brother in law is an avid bandwagoners, he will talk up any sport when it is the flavour of the month..Be it football, rugby ,Dublin GAA and whatever..On Saturday he tweeted that the football team should play their games at halftime in the rugby just so they could play in front of a crowd. That kind of bollix gets to me big time.
Heard a presenter and a caller on the radio this morning talking about the game on Saturday , both laughingly admitted they knew nothing about the game, the rules or my of the players but regardless they both spouted about this being the best day ever..if I was a rugby fan that would get to me , just as it did in 1988/90 when the whole country jumped on the Big Jack bandwagon.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

I was disgusted when our T 20 Ladies cricket team got knocked out of the World Cup last week.
I was even prepared to go to Dublin and join the thousands welcoming them home IF they won
Thank God our ladies hockey team won silver in this years world cup, the celebrations were mighty :barscarf: :barscarf: :D

Maith an Calini

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

corkbarry wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:45 pm
I was disgusted when our T 20 Ladies cricket team got knocked out of the World Cup last week.
I was even prepared to go to Dublin and join the thousands welcoming them home IF they won
Thank God our ladies hockey team won silver in this years world cup, the celebrations were mighty :barscarf: :barscarf: :D

Maith an Calini
Has that restraining order expired Barry? :shock:

:D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Oh Jesus cycling Christ I've just found out this "legendary" Rugby game where Oireland's closet jobs out-fondled New Zealand's close jobs, this epoch-defining sporting event, this generation-defining victory was a.... fucking wait for it.... it was a fucking friendly. :shock:

Fuck me the way the meejia and every bandwagon jumping watercooler quarterback has been carrying on I actually thought the Oirish towel flickers had won their world cup or something. It was a friendly. A fucking kick about. :oops: :lol:

So I take it we have at least enough self awareness and dignity left as a nation to NOT call a national holiday to celebrate this "milestone" in shit that doesn't matter?

Fucking hilarious shit. :oops: :lol: :censored:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:57 am

Oh Jesus cycling Christ I've just found out this "legendary" Rugby game where Oireland's closet jobs out-fondled New Zealand's close jobs, this epoch-defining sporting event, this generation-defining victory was a.... fucking wait for it.... it was a fucking friendly. :shock:

Fuck me the way the meejia and every bandwagon jumping watercooler quarterback has been carrying on I actually thought the Oirish towel flickers had won their world cup or something. It was a friendly. A fucking kick about. :oops: :lol:

So I take it we have at least enough self awareness and dignity left as a nation to NOT call a national holiday to celebrate this "milestone" in shit that doesn't matter?

The whole professional club scene in Ireland is manufactured to such a degree that the four professional "clubs " are actually four franchises that use the ancient province's names.
Pre professional rugby the four provincial teams were representative sides mafe up from the small clubs In the four provinces of Leinster, Munster, Connacht and Ulster.
When professionalism came into effect the big English and French clubs changed but Ireland hadn't the money or population to do that. So the four province's names were used to create four clubs. They have the same names and wear the same colours as the old provincial sides but that is where the comparisons should end.
The players are signed and paid under centralised contracts that the IRFU have an input in. Players who leave any of the four franchises are no longer eligible to play for Ireland. Players from the southern hemisphere who sign for any of the franchises can play foir Ireland even if they have played for other countries prior to that.
It is NFL style dropping of a franchise into an area and counting on the locals to support it.The four franchises were clever in using the names and colours of the provinces in order to exploit the local support and tradition. The traditional clubs still play as amateurs in The All Ireland League in front of small crowds. Their finals are played at the Aviva Stadium in front of crowds that would be dwarfed by some County (local) GAA finals.
The four franchises play in the Pro 12 league and the European Cup, not sure what sponsor's name is on that currently. They play in stadiums with capacities of no greater than 28,000 ( Munster) and they are not always full. For some games Leinster move across the road from their RDS home to the Aviva.
There is a myth that all home games for the franchises are full houses but that certainly isn't true.
The whole thing is just a manufactured commercial exercise designed to get people on board by force feeding them manufactured loyalties. And the people buy into it,yet the Irish football clubs are slagged off for having small fan bases.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

The whole professional club scene in Ireland is manufactured to such a degree that the four professional "clubs " are actually four franchises that use the ancient province's names.
Pre professional rugby the four provincial teams were representative sides mafe up from the small clubs In the four provinces of Leinster, Munster, Connacht and Ulster.
When professionalism came into effect the big English and French clubs changed but Ireland hadn't the money or population to do that. So the four province's names were used to create four clubs. They have the same names and wear the same colours as the old provincial sides but that is where the comparisons should end.
The players are signed and paid under centralised contracts that the IRFU have an input in. Players who leave any of the four franchises are no longer eligible to play for Ireland. Players from the southern hemisphere who sign for any of the franchises can play foir Ireland even if they have played for other countries prior to that.
It is NFL style dropping of a franchise into an area and counting on the locals to support it.The four franchises were clever in using the names and colours of the provinces in order to exploit the local support and tradition. The traditional clubs still play as amateurs in The All Ireland League in front of small crowds. Their finals are played at the Aviva Stadium in front of crowds that would be dwarfed by some County (local) GAA finals.
The four franchises play in the Pro 12 league and the European Cup, not sure what sponsor's name is on that currently. They play in stadiums with capacities of no greater than 28,000 ( Munster) and they are not always full. For some games Leinster move across the road from their RDS home to the Aviva.
There is a myth that all home games for the franchises are full houses but that certainly isn't true.
The whole thing is just a manufactured commercial exercise designed to get people on board by force feeding them manufactured loyalties. And the people buy into it,yet the Irish football clubs are slagged off for having small fan bases.
To quote Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction "you know I respect you right, but...."

...that's a fucking long winded way to say "it's a fucking tedious nonsense of a game played by moronic closet jobs and supported by a handful of closet jobs and a chunk of brain dead social media addicted arseholes".

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:13 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

To quote Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction "you know I respect you right, but...."

...that's a fucking long winded way to say "it's a fucking tedious nonsense of a game played by moronic closet jobs and supported by a handful of closet jobs and a chunk of brain dead social media addicted arseholes".

Yes it's all that as well. As a "sport " in Ireland it has long being associated with exorbitant fee paying schools, old boys networks and corporate business. The newbie support may be welcome to join In but will never be welcome at the top table.
During my twenty plus years in Dublin's grabbing industry , which masquerades as hospitality industry , the nights we hated most was the fee paying schools reunions. If anyone tells me there isn't a class divide in this country i refer to those long evenings of affluence and arrogance.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Woman on Virgin Media news speaking about Martin O Neill's departure. " I love rugby ..we need to get soccer back to the Ole "

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 pm
Woman on Virgin Media news speaking about Martin O Neill's departure. " I love rugby ..we need to get soccer back to the Ole "
:suicide:

When you say "woman" do you mean "brain dead cùnt"?

My retarded brother in law (he of the "rugby parties") often parps that one out of his limited intelect-fed mouth....

"Why can't soccer be more like rugby?"

My stock response is "surely having one boring tedious nonsense of a game populated by fat closet jobs is enough?".

Ooh he don't like that. :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

" Swing Low Sweet Bandwagon "...