Saints (A) 16/12 @ 13:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
JerseyGooner

Re: Saints (A) 16/12 @ 13:30

Post by JerseyGooner »

yeah lots of understandable over reactions. Prob same on other end with win against scum. You can't fix this team in one 1/2 season. We prob were a long shot to finish top 4 anyways. I will be happy with 5th above Manure. Let's give him time to make adjustments, bring in new players.

I almost think, some bad results is a good thing, as it doesn't mask the issues and increases chances we actually fix this sh*t.
Last edited by JerseyGooner on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:45 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:42 pm
just re reading what i wrote, and am massively overreacting. im just so disappointed about this result, against an awful side.

i guess its a good sign as under AW i didnt give a shit. emery has given expectation and hope back from a crap situation left him.

i need to be more patient.
Exactly. The man is trying to repair 10 years of rot that Wenger left behind. We have to give him 2 full seasons to see what he can do.
Fair enough DB , but he must also be able to identify and address his own mistakes and I worry about his ability or willingness to do this

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:50 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:45 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:42 pm
just re reading what i wrote, and am massively overreacting. im just so disappointed about this result, against an awful side.

i guess its a good sign as under AW i didnt give a shit. emery has given expectation and hope back from a crap situation left him.

i need to be more patient.
Exactly. The man is trying to repair 10 years of rot that Wenger left behind. We have to give him 2 full seasons to see what he can do.
Fair enough DB , but he must also be able to identify and address his own mistakes and I worry about his ability or willingness to do this
So do I tbh mate..... :|

markyp

Post by markyp »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:46 pm
markyp wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:39 pm
I think today showed up our massive deficiencies in defence,there is no other team in that top 4 that would struggle to keep out a front line of Austen,Long and ings,its a joke!! this defeat has been coming for ages,the arrogance of some here to think we would just turn up and win is not unlike that of the spurs supporters!! Aubameyang was way to casual in front of goal,Guendouzi for all his possession did nothing and at times was sunday league level with his thrashing at the ball,and Lenos had a stinker,lets hope this is the massive kick up the arse the team and Emery needs,we lucked out today after riding it for months!
Why the need to insult fellow Gooners?
why not?we slag off spurs fans for giving It large then falling flat on their arses instantly.i get a slating for being pesssimstic im actually a realist,its like some people here only look at the results in the newspapers and don't actually watch the games,weve been average all season with the exception of the spurs and maybe Fulham and Liverpool matches,to just think we would waltz this on one of our least favourite away grounds in staggering,feet on ground fellas otherwise its egg on faces :shock:

Midz

Post by Midz »

we knew our defence was a problem at the start of the season and even when we have all our players fit it's still a shit defence.
We've lost players over the past couple weeks to suspension and injury so the back line was always going to be poor.
We've had a very good run even with the 'average or turgid' players we have so I'm not going to get upset by a loss that was on the cards for a while now.
It's probably better to have lost to the Saints rather than have one of the bigger teams end the run and have their fans gloating for the next month.
Sure I'm as disappointed as everyone else here (and know work will be a nightmare for me tomorrow) but look on the bright side - we have at least one of our shitty defenders back for the Spurs game.

I hope or rather I'm sure Mr Emery and his accomplices can see the problems as plainly as us and look forward to seeing what they do in Jan.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Emery keeps saying that we have a lot of improving to do so not sure where this idea that "he's as stubbon as the ex manager" (who would have been spouting endless bollocks about the unbeaten run being his "greatest achievement" or some shite had be been around) has come from. Apart from dropping comedy Iwobi and Tarrogan I don't think there's much he can do currently without major acquisitions.

Guendouzi is 19 ffs and done pretty well. Yet one disappointing game and he's "the next Denilson" :roll:

Lot of knee jerk shite at both ends of the spectrum recently tbh. If he same shit is regularly happening this time next season then is the time to debate Emery's credentials imo.
Last edited by Leyton Gooner on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Come on lads, we had FIVE defenders out today.

Sokrates, mustafi, kolasinsac, holding - our entire back four out. Plus mavropanos and 2nd half bellerin...

Let’s not overreact - it was a make shift defence and one Leno fuck up apart we almost got away with it.

Yes there is still much work to do and new faces need to come in, but let’s not lose heart yet eh !

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I didn't blame Leno on their 3rd as much as I did Koscielny. Leno only started coming out in the 1st half when he felt that Koscielny or Xhaka wouldn't deal with the crosses, which neither did. I was surprised that Austin didn't start as he would have pummeled both into submission.

I think that if we didn't have to rush back Koscielny to begin with, we would probably have won that game. That being said, Leno is really poor on crosses. Great shot stopper, poor command of the box.

Altogether, this has been coming. We really have poor options on the wing and its probably why Iwobi starts every week despite being pretty awful. Ozil also just doesn't fit in this system. I really hope that he is sold.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

begeegs wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:43 pm
I didn't blame Leno on their 3rd as much as I did Koscielny. Leno only started coming out in the 1st half when he felt that Koscielny or Xhaka wouldn't deal with the crosses, which neither did. I was surprised that Austin didn't start as he would have pummeled both into submission.

I think that if we didn't have to rush back Koscielny to begin with, we would probably have won that game. That being said, Leno is really poor on crosses. Great shot stopper, poor command of the box.

Altogether, this has been coming. We really have poor options on the wing and its probably why Iwobi starts every week despite being pretty awful. Ozil also just doesn't fit in this system. I really hope that he is sold.
To who exactly....even if we could offload him I can guarantee you we will be subsidising his wages. Nobody in their right mind would pay him £350k per week. Oddly enough the 42m we paid for him is chump change in the current market but I still don't think we'll even get that for him. He was angling for a move last season but nobody came in for him, then that moron Wenger panicked and now look where we are.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:10 pm

To who exactly....even if we could offload him I can guarantee you we will be subsidising his wages. Nobody in their right mind would pay him £350k per week. Oddly enough the 42m we paid for him is chump change in the current market but I still don't think we'll even get that for him.
I would straight swap him with Alexis. Ozil played under Maureen at Madrid and people forget but Alexis was the hardest working player for us and was exceptional the first 18 months, until he realized that wenger was a dud.

He would fit in perfectly for us on the left wing and hes not happy at united either.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

That sort of result has been coming. We’ve ridden our luck in a lot of away matches over the past few months.

Special word for Koscielny who was a fucking disaster today. At fault for all three goals, all of which he should have cut out fairly easily (notwithstanding Bellerin on the first and Monreal and Leno on the third being poor). Austin, Ings and Long are the sort of good championship strikers who have terrorised Koscielny his whole career and you have to imagine he is finished now. I know he’s been out for a long time and it seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water, but let’s be honest he was a liability last season before his injury. Even Xhaka out of position looked at ease today by comparison.

The frustrating thing with Emery is that he seems to be picking his side on the assumption that we will be shit for 45 minutes rather than trying to combat it. I think he is leaving Lacazette on the bench because he is an effective sub whereas Iwobi and Mkhitaryan will be ineffective. The fact that the two games we’ve flown out the block this year are Liverpool and spurs where we would have been 2 down in 15 minutes if we played like we normally do points towards it being a mental thing.

Ultimately I think he is still doing a very good job with a very patchy squad with an inherently weak mentality and decimated by injuries at the back. We were poor today going forward but scoring twice should be enough to win you games against these sides. Look at title contenders down the years and you won’t see many coming to really poor sides and shipping more than one goal. We are tired and our lack of depth will show over the busy period.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:14 pm
Well augie this is not a cheap shot but Leno is fucking dog shit
Would not go that far Lefty but he is certainly error prone and not much more reliable than helmet head tbh.
He’s a liabilty, that was fucking shocking! I’d drop him and tbh we need to be in the market fot a keeper every bit as much as a cb

Anyone remember de gea when he joined manure first ?? Error prone, poor on crosses and couldnt deal with the physicality of the english game, and now he is without doubt THE best keeper in the world. Am I saying that Leno could be the best keeper in the world ? No I am not, but judging leno after NINE LEAGUE STARTS is bullshit imo. Without doubt he was poor on the 3rd goal, but they scored 3 identical goals with our centre backs nowhere for any of them :roll: Anyway the point I am making is that players should be hammered for the mistakes they make, but writing a guy off after just 9 league starts is ridiculous imo

I know I am beating an old drum here, but does anyone know what the fcuk iwobi is meant to be bringing to the team ?? Without question he is fcuking useless and he is lazy and fat into the bargain :evil: :censored: After the last game I heard comments about how the team need iwobi and mikki to provide a bit of width for the team, but the only width iwobi knows is that fat wide arse of his :oops: Mikki scored today but in reality offered nothing else, and in reality neither him nor lard arse should be still in the squad

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:35 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:14 pm
Well augie this is not a cheap shot but Leno is fucking dog shit
Would not go that far Lefty but he is certainly error prone and not much more reliable than helmet head tbh.
He’s a liabilty, that was fucking shocking! I’d drop him and tbh we need to be in the market fot a keeper every bit as much as a cb

Anyone remember de gea when he joined manure first ?? Error prone, poor on crosses and couldnt deal with the physicality of the english game, and now he is without doubt THE best keeper in the world. Am I saying that Leno could be the best keeper in the world ? No I am not, but judging leno after NINE LEAGUE STARTS is bullshit imo. Without doubt he was poor on the 3rd goal, but they scored 3 identical goals with our centre backs nowhere for any of them :roll: Anyway the point I am making is that players should be hammered for the mistakes they make, but writing a guy off after just 9 league starts is ridiculous imo

I know I am beating an old drum here, but does anyone know what the fcuk iwobi is meant to be bringing to the team ?? Without question he is fcuking useless and he is lazy and fat into the bargain :evil: :censored: After the last game I heard comments about how the team need iwobi and mikki to provide a bit of width for the team, but the only width iwobi knows is that fat wide arse of his :oops: Mikki scored today but in reality offered nothing else, and in reality neither him nor lard arse should be still in the squad
Tbf I only read down to the "struggling with the physicality" bit.

What was physical about the 3rd goal :roll:

Kos had a shocker but hasn't played in pl for an age but any centre half would expect that cross to be gobbled up by the keeper, it was a floated cross that hung in the air for an age.

He's shit

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Alex Iwobi....that’s all I’ve got to say.....oh and Mezut Ozil.......and Henrik Mikhitaryan....

Sam.Harrison

Post by Sam.Harrison »