The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Gunner Rob

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Gunner Rob »

oh well the good news is that Brexit appears to be finally dying a slow death.

only chance is that Theresa May's deal gets passed next week, however it looks like the majority of MPs will vote against it, and therefore go against the so called "will of the people".

I never saw it that way from the outset as it was always only an "advisory referendum"
anyone who saw the channel 4 film this week can surely now see how the public were manipulated into voting leave.

looks like the only two other options are either to have another vote or to just delay/cancel article 50 and let it all fizzle out.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

We had a whole lovely 48 hours with no one posting on this fucking Kardashian of a thread and then Rob fucking ruined it.... :lol: :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:12 pm
Herd wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 am
I didn't say UK banks I said European ,and they have done it and continue to make the odd effort ,its no co-incidence there were two sharp downward lurches on the pound just as Britons went on their annual Holidays in August 2017 and 2018 ,it's no conspiracy theory it's what happened
Its a high stakes game and involves billions of dollars ,you think people play fair ??
Sorry Herd thats just another one of your conspiracy theories. The pound is weaker because more people want to sell it and hold currencies in countries whose economies are much stronger than ours eg the US . Weak economy equals weak currency. Its quite a simple concept really.

Just to put this to bed, here is an explanation put in a much better way than I ever could and saves me the effort.

https://www.compareremit.com/money-tran ... nge-rates/

Point 6 clarifies what I am trying to get across.
I loved your latest cut and paste wheeze which I guess sums it all up if you are studying for your O level in commerce but again your trying to move goalposts as you do every time you are routed .
All the points made in it are relevant but forget one crucial thing and that is people only need to click a button and start a massive sell off or buy which will make a currency go up and down ,that doesn't take into concern anything but pure trading .
What I said was very specific Nut please try and concentrate for a moment ,it wasnt a "conpiracy theory" it was a market fact and happened in both August of 2017 and 2018..... and that is , European banks forced the pound down precisely at the time British Tourists go on holiday in order to threaten and punish us ,if you actually knew any money traders you would know this but as usual you dont know because you cant find it in a google search .

At the moment this country is bieng sold down the tubes by May and her cohorts and the worse is yet to come , a hard Brexit is the only way out of this mess but now there will be a lot of pain that goes with it and I'm sad as it didnt need to happen !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Herd wrote:
I didn't say UK banks I said European ,and they have done it and continue to make the odd effort ,its no co-incidence there were two sharp downward lurches on the pound just as Britons went on their annual Holidays in August 2017 and 2018 ,it's no conspiracy theory it's what happened
Its a high stakes game and involves billions of dollars ,you think people play fair ??
Sorry Herd thats just another one of your conspiracy theories. The pound is weaker because more people want to sell it and hold currencies in countries whose economies are much stronger than ours eg the US . Weak economy equals weak currency. Its quite a simple concept really.

Just to put this to bed, here is an explanation put in a much better way than I ever could and saves me the effort.

I loved your latest cut and paste wheeze which I guess sums it all up if you are studying for your O level in commerce but again your trying to move goalposts as you do every time you are routed .
All the points made in it are relevant but forget one crucial thing and that is people only need to click a button and start a massive sell off or buy which will make a currency go up and down ,that doesn't take into concern anything but pure trading .
What I said was very specific Nut please try and concentrate for a moment ,it wasnt a "conpiracy theory" it was a market fact and happened in both August of 2017 and 2018..... and that is , European banks forced the pound down precisely at the time British Tourists go on holiday in order to threaten and punish us ,if you actually knew any money traders you would know this but as usual you dont know because you cant find it in a google search .

At the moment this country is bieng sold down the tubes by May and her cohorts and the worse is yet to come , a hard Brexit is the only way out of this mess but now there will be a lot of pain that goes with it and I'm sad as it didnt need to happen !
the only way out of this mess is to just revoke article 50 and keep things as they are.

what you have to remember is that if May's Brexit deal does not go through Parliament next week then Brexit is finished.
no government would be stupid enough to allow the UK to leave the EU with no deal. if they are then good luck to them!

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Herd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Herd wrote:

I referred to a standard explanation of why currencies fluctuate because your argument is flakey to say the least and really doesnt deserve any attention. Lets just get this straight, the pound has been sub $1.40 since the referendum and for large amounts of time sub $1.30. Do you honestly think European bankers go to work and think we’ll teach british holidaymakers a lesson by hammering the pound against the euro or the dollar. Please!!!!

Do Brits not go abroad any other time other than August? Theres millions that go skiing, or look for winter sun in places like Asia, Florida or the Carribean. I have given you the benefit of the doubt about your qualifications, but now come to the conclusion that whatever you studied it isnt economics, you may indeed go for a beer with some city traders but really come on herd there is no substance to what you say.

Im not going to bother mentioning Land Rover, but it looks like brexit consequences are starting to come home to roost closer to the brexit heartlands that voted for it.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Lets not mention Land Rover , following the success of £ 80 million from the E.U to move Ford Southamton to Turkey.Our friends in Brussels have stumped up £ 110 million to open a plant to move L.R to Slovakia.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 pm
Lets not mention Land Rover , following the success of £ 80 million from the E.U to move Ford Southamton to Turkey.Our friends in Brussels have stumped up £ 110 million to open a plant to move L.R to Slovakia.
Yes and thats all as a consequence of brexit. The owners of Land Rover need a viable tarrif free route into Europe so it makes perfect sense to have a plant in another EU member nation. Given the mess we are in, you cant blame them really.

The EU dont care about UK interests post brexit, business is business as they say. This has also been happening in the financial services sector.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 pm
what exactly is your point here ?
to show how strong the EU is ?

I thought that it was supposed to crumble after Brexit :rubchin:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I agree that they don't care about the U.K's manufacturing , farming and fishing industries but that's not just a post Brexit phenomenon , they never have. Which is why despite all the bluster written and scare stories about the rise of the far right being bandied about is why the 68% of voting areas said out.
Land Rover is just the end of a long line of businesses to go elsewhere to the emerging European countries and many of these financial assists happened long before Brexit was even mooted.
As I have said before the whole conversation has been hijacked by the financial aspect of the immediate effect . A lot of people voted to leave in the hope that it would improve job prospects as we grew into independance again . They want a decent return for the hours they work and they want their peers to be working and contributing to the exchequer . It's simple really.
If you guys get your ""peoples vote "" and overturn the result they know that as we join the Euro , as we get our rebates removed , as it gets more expensive to be in the E.U and their taxes both direct and indirect go up to pay off the debts their jobs will continue to disappear. plus a few more assorted detriments all due to happen in 2020
( After 2020, all EU members will have to adopt the euro . Political union in the eurozone is an economic existential necessity, not a re-negotiable ambition. Daily Telegraph ).
Votes on tax issues will in the future only require a qualified majority, opening up the possibility that Brussels – partnering with high-tax advocates in France and Germany among others, could finally pursue its dream of complete tax harmonisation . You think that's a good thing for you.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:14 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:10 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:06 am
The UK in 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46775722

a global embarrassment :oops:

Nope......
Just another scarey from you and the tabloid press robbie
no the UK is a laughing stock across the world - you just refuse to believe it.

take this article for example.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opin ... union.html

funny though how you don't believe these stories, yet swallowed all the lies from the Leave campaign.
aah........Rob......Robbie........Bobbie.......
Trust you to determine which gobbledegook I was swallowing, huh?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I thought that it was supposed to crumble after Brexit .

We might find out if and when it ever happens .

Incidently :- Ford will be cutting thousands of jobs across the whole of Europe.These cuts in Bordeaux and Saarland are also due to Brexit as well?

augie

Post by augie »

If I was a uk resident that wasnt sure whether I supported brexit or not, seeing a dinosaur c.unt like warnock come out in support of brexit would straight away swing me to the remain camp

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... rexit-rant

He is and always has been, an ignorant pric.k who continues to spout shite stemming from nothing but his own self serving bluster- stemming the flow of top managers and players coming in from outside the uk would certainly open up my chances for british players and managers, but on what basis is he claiming that it will make football better ?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:17 pm
I thought that it was supposed to crumble after Brexit .

We might find out if and when it ever happens .

Incidently :- Ford will be cutting thousands of jobs across the whole of Europe.These cuts in Bordeaux and Saarland are also due to Brexit as well?
too many Brexiteers it seems don't want the Brexit that is on offer. They seem to have forgotten that this is the ONLY Brexit option.
as I said last week Brexit appears to be fizzling out. It appears that the people would prefer to remain in the EU rather than having the Brexit deal negotiated by the PM. in theory we should see riots if the MPs don't vote for "the will of the people" but I very much doubt that will happen.

as for Ford cutting jobs - yes the car industry worldwide is struggling - the losses will be far greater in the UK should Brexit happen though as firms such as Nissan will move to the continent.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Quite right Rob , many brexit voters do not see this as a true split from the Union . In fact it ties us in to the pervasive mob ad infinitum. Most of us voted to leave and this really does not do that.
I too doubt that there will be riots over a brexit failure because most Brexit people are fairly level headed and not extremists that show their resentment when things don't go their way.

And yes the car industry is failing worldwide but that's not because of Brexit , the clue is worldwide. Mainly it's because of the deceitful practices of the German automotive industry which highlighted the emmisions problem and particulate levels of diesel engines.
Companies are cutting down on purchasing or leasing new cars and subsequently the market has slowed . Whether Nissan stays or goes is moot , Iwould expect them to reduce the British capacity but I doubt that they will leave completely unless Brussels comes up with an incentive to do so.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 am
Quite right Rob , many brexit voters do not see this as a true split from the Union . In fact it ties us in to the pervasive mob ad infinitum. Most of us voted to leave and this really does not do that.
I too doubt that there will be riots over a brexit failure because most Brexit people are fairly level headed and not extremists that show their resentment when things don't go their way.

And yes the car industry is failing worldwide but that's not because of Brexit , the clue is worldwide. Mainly it's because of the deceitful practices of the German automotive industry which highlighted the emmisions problem and particulate levels of diesel engines.
Companies are cutting down on purchasing or leasing new cars and subsequently the market has slowed . Whether Nissan stays or goes is moot , Iwould expect them to reduce the British capacity but I doubt that they will leave completely unless Brussels comes up with an incentive to do so.
what a lot of you voted for is not going to happen - the past 2 and a half years have showed that it is impossible to implement.
the problem with Brexit is that there was never a plan - the win was just based on lies and bluster. It is all crumbling down now, as people can see it for what it is - a giant con