ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am
While Kroenke may be the only owner in this league not to invest a single penny in his club that's not the case stateside.

The LA Rams new stadium will reportedly cost upwards of $5 billion before it's finished and that should scare the absolute shit out of all Arsenal fans. Kroenke has already forked out $1.6 billion of his own cash (as well as over $2 billion of a loan) to cover the construction and that's before costs started spiralling out of control so who's to say he won't have to fire even more money at it.

The Rams have also gone from relative obscurity to one of the favourites for the super bowl, how much that is down to investment by Kroenke I'm not sure - Augie knows more about the guts of the NFL than I do so maybe he can throw some light on it?

He's not so silent over there that's for sure and it's terrifying to think what the consequences for us might be as a result.

The nfl is a different system rodders - from my understanding all sponsorship deals, tv money etc go into a central pool and the nfl splits profits equally amongst all the teams. The nfl also has a salary cap which is the same for all franchises - this means that there is a set amount that clubs can spend on player wages, and no club has more financial power than the rest (as opposed to the wealth and power clubs like citeeh and manure have in football). Of course clubs still make a massive amount of money "profits", but cos there is a salary cap, there is no pressure on the likes of kroenke to invest cos to do so would break league rules

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Cheers Augie.

Saw this on twitter from the mighty gambon last night, fucking grim reading when it’s laid bare like this -

Whatever about Kroenke not investing, the abysmal hemorrhaging of money under Wanker and Ivan is the biggest crime ever committed against the club.

Fucking C.UNTS :banghead:

John F

Post by John F »

Yes read this , it makes me wonder if the real reason for Wenger and the snake oil salesman departure is because they had to jump before Wiggy jnr sacked them after he came over and realised how the club was being run.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am
While Kroenke may be the only owner in this league not to invest a single penny in his club that's not the case stateside.

The LA Rams new stadium will reportedly cost upwards of $5 billion before it's finished and that should scare the absolute shit out of all Arsenal fans. Kroenke has already forked out $1.6 billion of his own cash (as well as over $2 billion of a loan) to cover the construction and that's before costs started spiralling out of control so who's to say he won't have to fire even more money at it.

The Rams have also gone from relative obscurity to one of the favourites for the super bowl, how much that is down to investment by Kroenke I'm not sure - Augie knows more about the guts of the NFL than I do so maybe he can throw some light on it?

He's not so silent over there that's for sure and it's terrifying to think what the consequences for us might be as a result.
The only bright spot might be that he decides to cash in on us ? Unlikely given that he has only recently got full ownership .....wasn’t there a Nigerian with loads of dosh looking to potentially buy us ( or am I remembering the wrong email) Dangote or wait for Flamini to become the richest man in the world ?

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am
Cheers Augie.

Saw this on twitter from the mighty gambon last night, fucking grim reading when it’s laid bare like this -

Whatever about Kroenke not investing, the abysmal hemorrhaging of money under Wanker and Ivan is the biggest crime ever committed against the club.

“We” in all of those cases quoted were Wenker, who as we all know has always acted in the best interest of Arsenal F.C. 25 hours a day, 8 Days a week, 53 weeks of the year.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Did you know an anagram of "Stan Arsene Ivan" is....

Satan Vain Sneer

:shock:

:censored:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

puts it all pretty well, from Suburban Gooner....Absent owner, pathetic former chairman, and a rich club with no money to spend: The Arsenal

Eventually the truth will out. And thankfully with the help of Unai Emery seemingly incapable of the levels of spin that we were used to under Arsène “only if we find super super top top quality players Wenger, he admitted that there is no money for permanent signings this January and that the club are looking only at short term loan deals.

Of course we’re all disappointed. We know that Arsenal probably need a decent centre half, a wide forward and possibly another full back, but I think the reality of Unai’s words are just the veil being lifted from the tragic mismanagement of a club that is supposedly the sixth richest in world football.

The poor decisions made by the trio of Stan Kroenke, Ivan Gazidis and Arsène Wenger have left us in this mess we currently find ourselves in.

For Stan it is an owner that probably turns white at the prospect of ‘speculate to accumulate’. He doesn’t want to spend a buck to get two back. He’d rather take half of that buck and put it in his piggy bank, whilst hoping the other 50 cents sprouts green shoots and magically makes him more money.

The sad thing is that’s exactly what has happened due to the money swirling around the Premier League and Champions League trough.

And the likes of Ivan Gazidis lapped it up whilst he could. He saw that we could basically be a profitable entity by simply treading water and has used that to his advantage. From a personal point of view he probably thinks he’s played a blinder; mismanagement with a bit of fortune that the Premier League money spiralled, whilst feeding spin and then when it looked like it was all going to go Pete Tong he jumped ship.

And he has jumped ship. Consider this: one year ago we signed the Mesut Özil mega deal, whilst also picking up Aubameyang. Great PR for Ivan and he made sure he was snapped with Sven in Dortmund doing the deal. Fast forward to the summer and there’s rumours of his exit. Seven or eight months later. Chief Executives don’t just go on Indeed.com and search for roles. They plan waaaay in advance and Ivan will I’m sure have been putting the feelers out at least a year ago.

But to really show you’re a top draw CEO you need to make sure you have a few gems to show your potential new employers. The Özil deal said to those Ivan wanted to “hey, I’m overseeing this guy and his renewal. I can keep our best players” and the Auba deal said to the same people “hey, no Champions League, no problem! I can sign the big players and get the deal done”.

Make no mistake about it folks, Ivan Gazidis has a massive role to play in the shoddy situation we find ourselves in.

But so does Arsène Wenger. Arsène spent years procrastinating on players. He spent years turning his nose away from deals to tell us that we could have signed that player years later. He kept his network and didn’t think to freshen it up. When he needed a cabinet reshuffle to get new voices he buried his head in the sand.

And now we find ourselves with plenty of overpaid and underperforming players. I say underperforming because for the transfer fees and wages we paid we really should be looking at being an established club. Yet the top four looks a little bit beyond us this season and finally, ahead of an away game to West Ham, we get the current coach admitting that it’s all a bit of a mess.

But what if we’re saving all of our cash for the summer?

That would be lovely and if we could all trust that the club truly did have a “war chest” in May, June and July then perhaps it’s something that we could stomach, but we all know where this is going. We all know what happens in the summer and it involves Arsenal hoping that those young players we have step up, because Arsenal spending £100million to dine at the top table just isn’t us.

And it never will be under Kroenke. I don’t know very much about the accounting side of football but I do know that until Arsenal file accounts with companies house at the end of February we have no idea what the situation is with the finances. And by then the window will be well shut and we’ll probably know our fate with regards to the Champions League too. If we miss it, well, I suspect it’ll be another summer of praying for a few untapped gems.

Sven and his diamond eye will have never had to work as hard.

We should be talking about the game tomorrow. We should be looking at a bright future at The Arsenal. But right now it just feels like the failures of the past are etched a little too clearly in our minds eyes to get us thinking about the stuff we actually love.

Perhaps things can change and let’s all be pleased that two of the three protagonists are gone from our club. If we could just get the final millstone from around our collective necks in the shape of Stan Kroenke and KSE then that would be great. Sadly, however, it feels like that particular turd will not be flushing itself for some time.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm
puts it all pretty well, from Suburban Gooner....Absent owner, pathetic former chairman, and a rich club with no money to spend: The Arsenal

Eventually the truth will out. And thankfully with the help of Unai Emery seemingly incapable of the levels of spin that we were used to under Arsène “only if we find super super top top quality players Wenger, he admitted that there is no money for permanent signings this January and that the club are looking only at short term loan deals.

Of course we’re all disappointed. We know that Arsenal probably need a decent centre half, a wide forward and possibly another full back, but I think the reality of Unai’s words are just the veil being lifted from the tragic mismanagement of a club that is supposedly the sixth richest in world football.

The poor decisions made by the trio of Stan Kroenke, Ivan Gazidis and Arsène Wenger have left us in this mess we currently find ourselves in.

For Stan it is an owner that probably turns white at the prospect of ‘speculate to accumulate’. He doesn’t want to spend a buck to get two back. He’d rather take half of that buck and put it in his piggy bank, whilst hoping the other 50 cents sprouts green shoots and magically makes him more money.

The sad thing is that’s exactly what has happened due to the money swirling around the Premier League and Champions League trough.

And the likes of Ivan Gazidis lapped it up whilst he could. He saw that we could basically be a profitable entity by simply treading water and has used that to his advantage. From a personal point of view he probably thinks he’s played a blinder; mismanagement with a bit of fortune that the Premier League money spiralled, whilst feeding spin and then when it looked like it was all going to go Pete Tong he jumped ship.

And he has jumped ship. Consider this: one year ago we signed the Mesut Özil mega deal, whilst also picking up Aubameyang. Great PR for Ivan and he made sure he was snapped with Sven in Dortmund doing the deal. Fast forward to the summer and there’s rumours of his exit. Seven or eight months later. Chief Executives don’t just go on Indeed.com and search for roles. They plan waaaay in advance and Ivan will I’m sure have been putting the feelers out at least a year ago.

But to really show you’re a top draw CEO you need to make sure you have a few gems to show your potential new employers. The Özil deal said to those Ivan wanted to “hey, I’m overseeing this guy and his renewal. I can keep our best players” and the Auba deal said to the same people “hey, no Champions League, no problem! I can sign the big players and get the deal done”.

Make no mistake about it folks, Ivan Gazidis has a massive role to play in the shoddy situation we find ourselves in.

But so does Arsène Wenger. Arsène spent years procrastinating on players. He spent years turning his nose away from deals to tell us that we could have signed that player years later. He kept his network and didn’t think to freshen it up. When he needed a cabinet reshuffle to get new voices he buried his head in the sand.

And now we find ourselves with plenty of overpaid and underperforming players. I say underperforming because for the transfer fees and wages we paid we really should be looking at being an established club. Yet the top four looks a little bit beyond us this season and finally, ahead of an away game to West Ham, we get the current coach admitting that it’s all a bit of a mess.

But what if we’re saving all of our cash for the summer?

That would be lovely and if we could all trust that the club truly did have a “war chest” in May, June and July then perhaps it’s something that we could stomach, but we all know where this is going. We all know what happens in the summer and it involves Arsenal hoping that those young players we have step up, because Arsenal spending £100million to dine at the top table just isn’t us.

And it never will be under Kroenke. I don’t know very much about the accounting side of football but I do know that until Arsenal file accounts with companies house at the end of February we have no idea what the situation is with the finances. And by then the window will be well shut and we’ll probably know our fate with regards to the Champions League too. If we miss it, well, I suspect it’ll be another summer of praying for a few untapped gems.

Sven and his diamond eye will have never had to work as hard.

We should be talking about the game tomorrow. We should be looking at a bright future at The Arsenal. But right now it just feels like the failures of the past are etched a little too clearly in our minds eyes to get us thinking about the stuff we actually love.

Perhaps things can change and let’s all be pleased that two of the three protagonists are gone from our club. If we could just get the final millstone from around our collective necks in the shape of Stan Kroenke and KSE then that would be great. Sadly, however, it feels like that particular turd will not be flushing itself for some time.
Very well written piece redarmy, I am hopeful for the summer - on the basis that Ramsey, Welbeck, Cech will be gone and with them the £100k that they each pick up per week - on top of that we get the new Adidas kit deal, which is double the current one ( about £60m v £30m ) and I think the renewed Emirates shirt / stadium sponsorship.
Yes if one or two youngsters are deemed ready (Smith Rowe and Nelson seem most likely at the moment) that will help as would getting shot of one or two fringe players for a fee that hardly ever play - Eleneny, maybe Ozil, Kos, too.

If we get champions league Dick will have performed miracles, either way he will know what parts of the team he wants to upgrade ( I think we all know where it is required)
Maybe the unbeaten run heightened expectations, we dared to dream that we were back, but the truth is we are still a 4th to 6th place team at the moment - I’m accepting of that at the start of the season and we have seen glimpses of getting there as well as lapses back to the bad old days.
What looks better is the team spirit, if we go behind we have the ability to dig in (Liverpool apart) and we have won matches that last season we wouldn’t have.

augie

Post by augie »

'The standout part of that article is the bit that backs up my suggestion that these financial rules are judged on a rolling 3 year assessment, therefore talking about our wage bill being maxed out for this season, is just a diversion to excuse/defend the lack of spending

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I dont think losing shit players off the wage bill will make all that much difference come the summer, we'll still be limited by the wage balancing and the prices will continue to go up. Losing £300K off the wage bill is good but if you lose 3 players and gain 2 at £150k a week they'll have to be very good, that puts you into the realm of £50M price tags.....

Prospects are dim at the moment but lets see where we are in May, you never know a Europa league win or 4th place might just be what UE needs to get the purse strings loosened a little :rubchin:

Added to that a hopefully improved and properly bedded in negotiating team and it might not be so bad.......nah, who am i kidding things are going to get messy and Herd may be right i'm not sure UE would want to stick around too long if he is severely limited by the owners lack of ambition, unlike Mr 30 Years.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Cheers Augie.

I got into a heated debate with a couple of Wengerites the other day and took dog's abuse for saying "that man has done more damage in the past 10 years than he did good in the first 12". I only wish I'd had that little check list to hand, as I remembered about half of them but fuck me Perez, Debuchy, Hakuna Matata.......Wenger's worst laid bare

Poor old Dick coming in on the back of that :cry: :cry: :cry:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Ozil has to go - his wage is a massive problem that goes well beyond the 16-18m a year which it costs us.

Us paying anybody 300-350k a week is going to be very difficult to justify for even an absolutely stellar performer.

For what we are currently getting from Ozil it’s a travesty and is just going to cause no end of problems come trying to negotiate any other contract.

Doesn’t really matter whose fault it is but it needs to be rectified pretty quickly. Obviously we can more or less write off a decent transfer fee unless he is willing to fuck off to China.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:16 am
rodders999 wrote:
Cheers Augie.

I got into a heated debate with a couple of Wengerites the other day and took dog's abuse for saying "that man has done more damage in the past 10 years than he did good in the first 12". I only wish I'd had that little check list to hand, as I remembered about half of them but fuck me Perez, Debuchy, Hakuna Matata.......Wenger's worst laid bare

Poor old Dick coming in on the back of that :cry: :cry: :cry:
That's a difficult one - I fully agree that the damage TOF has done in the last 10 years is nigh on criminal but we still point to additional League titles where the scum have to be 65+ to be able to remember winning one (or if they are 75+ then they might just remember the other one as well). I'm not sure I would forego those three titles to have been shot of him earlier - that's too much for my brain to evaluate :lol:

What I am waiting for is one of our esteemed media journos to write the obvious piece that lays bare the debacle that is TOF's transfer and contract dealings that have now hamstrung Dick for this season and several to come. We know how long it took the tools in football and the media to realise that TOF was fucked so it might be a little while before one of these tits realises that wiggy + wenger + sustainable business model = The Arsenal are fucked. Don't hold your breath for that one.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:51 pm
Did you know an anagram of "Stan Arsene Ivan" is....

Satan Vain Sneer

:shock:

:censored:
Kroenke in Welsh = Smelly Sphincter Stain :D