One Day in May

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

One Day in May

Post by Bradywasking »

Had originally posted this in Spuds or Victims thread but in hindsight that wasn't appropriate as tragedies shouldn't be compared and it could have been easily construed as a cheap shot at Liverpool fans. Mods merge or delete if you think appropriate.

Watched ' One Day in May ' last night, hadn't seen it before but it was a harrowing insight into the human tragedy that was the Bradford fire. It was a story of bravery and suffering but yet at the end presenter Gabby Logan, then Gabby Yorath who was in the stand that day, said it was the forgotten tragedy. No one should go to a football game and never go home.

xisstential

Re: One Day in May

Post by xisstential »

Strange, I was thinking about this over the weekend and how it has just seemingly been forgotten. I'll never forget the image of the bloke walking across the field with his hair on fire. Heysel is another one that seems to have been swept away as there is blame to be laid, people directly responsible and England does not want to be reminded.

And then there is Hillsborough, England is virtually forced to come to a halt every year.....Jamie Carragher even wants it taught in schools?? Funny how one set of fans involved in both sets of tragedies choose so casually to forget the one.

I don't really understand why Bradford do not keep the memory alive, no one would decry them that. They seemed to handle the whole thing with so much dignity.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 am
Strange, I was thinking about this over the weekend and how it has just seemingly been forgotten. I'll never forget the image of the bloke walking across the field with his hair on fire. Heysel is another one that seems to have been swept away as there is blame to be laid, people directly responsible and England does not want to be reminded.

And then there is Hillsborough, England is virtually forced to come to a halt every year.....Jamie Carragher even wants it taught in schools?? Funny how one set of fans involved in both sets of tragedies choose so casually to forget the one.

I don't really understand why Bradford do not keep the memory alive, no one would decry them that. They seemed to handle the whole thing with so much dignity.
1902 Ibrox , Glasgow - 25 dead FORGOTTEN
1946 Burnden Park, Bolton - 33 dead FORGOTTEN
1971 Ibrox again - 66 dead FORGOTTEN
1985 Bradford City - 56 dead FORGOTTEN
1985 Heysel, Brussels - 39 dead FORGOTTEN
1989 Hillsborough, Sheffield - 96 dead YOU MUST NEVER FORGET

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

The Bradford fire was a terrible, terrible tragedy which brought about a number of changes to how football was watched in England. The fact that it's not a media hobby horse is down to the quiet,dignified way the families affected by it have conducted themselves. No screaming about a conspiracy, no calls for blood or heads to roll, no chips on shoulders like the bindippers and Hillsborough.
The fact that Heysel is never mentioned disgusts me quite frankly. It's all down to the media love-in of the murderers by that old Granada TV sports department who went on to work for ITV Sport and Sky. The murderers constant, shameless and blinkered bleating about Hillsborough is all part of a guilt complex they have over Heysel and a way to deflect attention from that. They've gone on about it so relentlessly for so long that I think most people have had enough and have now started pointing out their lack of respect for the people they killed at Heysel more and more.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am
xisstential wrote:

1985 Heysel, Brussels - 39 dead FORGOTTEN
I didn't actually realise that Heysel & Bradford were in the same year (I was living abroad at the time) You think there would be some kind of joint remembrance for 2 huge football related disasters, and all those deaths to be to be mourned & remembered?

But no.....there can be only one :?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

xisstential wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head - dignity. Some have it and some don't :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am
xisstential wrote:

1985 Heysel, Brussels - 39 murdered FORGOTTEN

Slight amendment

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

to be honest the Bradford City response has been the best - how many years do you have to keep commemorating these disasters ?

I listed the earlier tragedies because lets face it you NEVER ever hear them mentioned.
Hillsborough will be 30 years ago next month. I think after that they really should stop going on about it.

The 80s were a different era though - if anything like Heysel happened today then there is no way that a match would be played on the same night - thats what happened in 1985 though!!
Here is an interesting article about Heysel. It is not just Liverpool that have forgotten about it, Juventus appear to almost airbrushed it out of their history.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/05/ ... or-heysel/

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:41 pm
to be honest the Bradford City response has been the best - how many years do you have to keep commemorating these disasters ?

I listed the earlier tragedies because lets face it you NEVER ever hear them mentioned.
Hillsborough will be 30 years ago next month. I think after that they really should stop going on about it.

The 80s were a different era though - if anything like Heysel happened today then there is no way that a match would be played on the same night - thats what happened in 1985 though!!
Here is an interesting article about Heysel. It is not just Liverpool that have forgotten about it, Juventus appear to almost airbrushed it out of their history.

It is absolutely staggering that the game was played. The feedback/ defence from the authorities was that they were terrified if they called it off the Liverpool fans would go on the rampage and even more people would be killed.

The mind boggles really......carrying the dead out while fans are singing and cheering on a football match in the background :shock: :shock: :shock:

If it happened today there would be a baton charge on horseback if necessary. They don't take any shit anymore. I don't blame them either.

Brilliantly written article btw. I think the Italian authorities don't want it remembered as their negligence had a part to play, Liverpool don't want to remember it because it ruins the narrative.

And still nobody DARES to mention the fact that Liverpool, ticketless fans had played a huge role in what happened at Hillsborough. I think if you mentioned that you might just find yourself facing some kind of criminal charge.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:31 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

It is absolutely staggering that the game was played. The feedback/ defence from the authorities was that they were terrified if they called it off the Liverpool fans would go on the rampage and even more people would be killed.

The mind boggles really......carrying the dead out while fans are singing and cheering on a football match in the background :shock: :shock: :shock:

If it happened today there would be a baton charge on horseback if necessary. They don't take any shit anymore. I don't blame them either.

Brilliantly written article btw. I think the Italian authorities don't want it remembered as their negligence had a part to play, Liverpool don't want to remember it because it ruins the narrative.

And still nobody DARES to mention the fact that Liverpool, ticketless fans had played a huge role in what happened at Hillsborough. I think if you mentioned that you might just find yourself facing some kind of criminal charge.
I have argued the last point countless times with Liverpool fans , yes the Police Chief on duty made a horrendously wrong call but I haven't read or heard the next logical question which is WHY did he make that call.? What prompted him to open a gate and allow ticketless fans in ? There is a saying that you can have your own opinion but not your own facts..It seems you can have your own truth though..As suggested above the obvious questions don't always suit the narrative and the legacy of that has protected the supporters of one club from condemnation regardless . How forceful was the condemnation by the media of the attack on the Man City team bus last year ? No where near strong enough because the meda are terrified to break from script and call it for what it was , intimidation and drunken thuggery, terrified by the outrage it would cause on Merseyside to tell a few home truths.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:57 am
xisstential wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:31 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

I have argued the last point countless times with Liverpool fans , yes the Police Chief on duty made a horrendously wrong call but I haven't read or heard the next logical question which is WHY did he make that call.? What prompted him to open a gate and allow ticketless fans in ? There is a saying that you can have your own opinion but not your own facts..It seems you can have your own truth though..As suggested above the obvious questions don't always suit the narrative and the legacy of that has protected the supporters of one club from condemnation regardless . How forceful was the condemnation by the media of the attack on the Man City team bus last year ? No where near strong enough because the meda are terrified to break from script and call it for what it was , intimidation and drunken thuggery, terrified by the outrage it would cause on Merseyside to tell a few home truths.
this was always my initial reaction regarding Hillsborough.
however arguing that with Liverpool supporters is always difficult because it is such a sensitive subject.

you could easily argue though that Liverpool supporters were more to blame at Hillsborough than at Heysel. At Heysel there were many contributing factors such as the neutral zone. stadium literally falling down etc. At Hillsborough there was a clear Liverpol end and too many of them tried to get into it. that is the brutal truth.

I wonder how those supporters who didnt have tickets, but yet got into Hillsborough felt after what happened ?

augie

Post by augie »

At the weekend there was a terrible tragedy over here in County Tyrone which seen 3 teenagers die (two 17 year old's and one 16 year old) in a crush queuing outside a teenagers disco - last night on one of our current affairs programmes they discussed the tragedy and they had a professor from a Belfast university discussing it, but of course the professor was a scouse c.unt who assisted the familes in the Hillsborough tragedy :roll: Naturally he blamed the organisers instead of asking questions about the behavior of the one's at the back who created the crush. He questioned the number of stewards on duty outside, but of course didn't say how many should be on duty (is there ever an acceptable amount/ratio ?) cos to do so would either highlight the unrealistic expectations (ie a ratio of 1 steward to every 5 kids for example), or would then turn the responsibility on the customers/supporters if there was an acceptable number of stewards on duty. Of course the irony here is that the owner/organisers are being absolutely slated for NOT OPENING the gate to let people in thus preventing the outside crush - I seem to remember a police force doing that in Sheffield and now facing criminal actions for doing so

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

What really grinds my shit with the mouser and media agenda and myths about Hillsborough is that if you try to state the fact that some of the Liverpool fans themselves were partly responsible for the tragedy you are viewed as akin to blaming the fans that died - as if you are saying THEY turned up late, drunk, without tickets when that is not the case and not what anyone is saying. :roll:

Most of the fans that died appear to have been down the front and had turned up early or on time with tickets. The ones that were to blame (and were never held responsible and have been protected and excused by the media) are the ones that turned up late, pissed, and ticketless and caused a crush that forced an inexperienced, badly trained (in crowd control) police force to open the gates in panic.

If they had not opened the gates the deaths would have occurred at the gates rather than on the terrace. Opening the gates did not cause the tragedy - it only dictated the location of an inevitable tragedy.

The fact that mousers still ram this tragedy down everyone's throats while never accepting any responsibility for the actions of some of their own fans, and while completely ignoring their murder of 39 innocent Italian fans, and still to this day try and rush turnstiles and sneak in ticketless in big numbers and mug their own fellow fans for tickets, is why they are some of the most despised and despicable fans in the world. :censored:

After the CL Final in Athens the spokesman for UEFA said the mouser fans were the worst animals he'd ever seen at a major final.

herbert

Post by herbert »

I was at a game at Bradford on the anniversary of the fire and they remember the tragedy with a lot of dignity and class

Their opponents on the night of the fire Lincoln also lost two supporters that night so they are also involved in the anniversary remembrance
and the first game vs each other after the tragedy was in a benefit match for the Hillsborough fund