The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

A11M11

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by A11M11 »

It's a shame that he will be there .
Even Farage left UKIP because of their links to him but he should have been kept at arms legnth from this. The remain protest went off peacefully as no opposition factions went to upset the applecart. Divisive people like Robinson will always attract the wrong people and probably ones that have little or nothing to do with wanting to leave the E.U .
I would imagine that there will be scuffles including with the Police who will have all sorts of problems differentiating between peaceful and not so much protesters and of course those that dragged in due their proximity.
Momentum and Antifa are bound to send their representatives and the police will be tasked to keep them apart. Most leavers are capable of allowing , despite disagreeing , people to make their march peacefully . I am afraid this courtesy will not be afforded to this rally today .
I hope that I am wrong.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am
It's a shame that he will be there .
Even Farage left UKIP because of their links to him but he should have been kept at arms legnth from this. The remain protest went off peacefully as no opposition factions went to upset the applecart. Divisive people like Robinson will always attract the wrong people and probably ones that have little or nothing to do with wanting to leave the E.U .
I would imagine that there will be scuffles including with the Police who will have all sorts of problems differentiating between peaceful and not so much protesters and of course those that dragged in due their proximity.
Momentum and Antifa are bound to send their representatives and the police will be tasked to keep them apart. Most leavers are capable of allowing , despite disagreeing , people to make their march peacefully . I am afraid this courtesy will not be afforded to this rally today .
I hope that I am wrong.
Amen to those sentiments, I have no time for people who want to use division in the country to cause trouble,

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

so here we are - Brexit Day :D

but of course it doesn't look as though we are leving today.
I think Donald Tusk summed it up best when he said that the Brexiteers did not have a "sketch of a plan"

this has been the problem all along. Remain meant remain, yet Leave meant different things to different people and for the last 3 years nothing has been agreed.

if it had been clear on 23rd June 2016 what Leave actually meant then today would have been Brexit Day.
Brexiteers only have themselves to blame for it not happening today.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am

I think Donald Tusk summed it up best when he said that the Brexiteers did not have a "sketch of a plan"

this has been the problem all along. Remain meant remain, yet Leave meant different things to different people and for the last 3 years nothing has been agreed.

if it had been clear on 23rd June 2016 what Leave actually meant then today would have been Brexit Day.
Sure it took ye 800 Years to leave Ireland, at least part of it :D

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:

Don't count the chickens Rob, if the Europeans don't grant an extension to negotiations we are out on 12th April. No deal. And as I write this the Europeans are now indicating this.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

Don't count the chickens Rob, if the Europeans don't grant an extension to negotiations we are out on 12th April. No deal. And as I write this the Europeans are now indicating this.
well I was only referring to today in my post but yes a No Deal could indeed still happen.

however the EU have already offered us one extension, there is every likelihood they will now offer another, although this time you would be looking at a much longer extension....long enough for the issue to fade away.

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

well I was only referring to today in my post but yes a No Deal could indeed still happen.

however the EU have already offered us one extension, there is every likelihood they will now offer another, although this time you would be looking at a much longer extension....long enough for the issue to fade away.
I repeat the Europeans have said no deal is likely, but dont take my word for it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1RA1SC

Herd

Post by Herd »

Brexit has been a shameless elaborate con trick with the EU ,the British government the Labour party all in on the scam . How people even believe that there's been an attempt to leave is quite beyond me,there clearly hasn't.
Now all that's left is the revoking of article 50 and a second referendum and Brexit vanishes in the way I've described.
If I can have seen this coming I cannot understand how others didn't.
It just goes to show how programmed we are .
Leaving the EU was simple out out of the customs Union and out of the single market . That's what people voted for no matter how much remoamers say otherwise .
I said it wouldn't happen and it hasn't and it won't . We would have been better off if May had declared we won't leave and then got on with ignoring the people which they do anyway.
I hope both parties get swept away,they disgust me to a man.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Corbyn has with the SNP played a tactic of obstruction to force a general election. He has used the split in their ranks to drive a wedge between both halves of the Tories and May in her desire to leave the EU without actually leaving has Made things so much easier for him . Whilst the numbers in the house remain there is no chance of getting a decision. I cannot see a referendum repeat being the answer because a narrow reversal would be just as divisive and would lead to a play off and we don’t want a third go .If leave won again apart from Parliament going into an apoplectic fit there are still too many MPs scared of their shadows to do what’s wanted so it does look like a long delay an election and a new voice to renegotiate.If Brussels refuses then we would just have to walk and start to stand up for ourselves again.

nut flush gooner

Herd wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:40 am
Brexit has been a shameless elaborate con trick with the EU ,the British government the Labour party all in on the scam . How people even believe that there's been an attempt to leave is quite beyond me,there clearly hasn't.
Now all that's left is the revoking of article 50 and a second referendum and Brexit vanishes in the way I've described.
If I can have seen this coming I cannot understand how others didn't.
It just goes to show how programmed we are .
Leaving the EU was simple out out of the customs Union and out of the single market . That's what people voted for no matter how much remoamers say otherwise .
I said it wouldn't happen and it hasn't and it won't . We would have been better off if May had declared we won't leave and then got on with ignoring the people which they do anyway.
I hope both parties get swept away,they disgust me to a man.
When you are in a club herd and there are 27 other members, you tell them you wan't to leave. Who dictates the terms of membership termination, is it the 1 or the 27?

Stop looking at this as a British problem. The Europeans are just as pissed off about this as we are, and they are so fed up they are about to kick us out unless we buck our ideas up fast. Then you will get your Brexit.

The embarrassing thing is 27 countries including Ireland have all been united on their Brexit stance, all we have done is fight with each other.

You talk about lies, the Brexiteers are the worst culprits by a mile. Another example, Liam Fox the former trade secretary talked about having 40 trade deals in place by last Friday. We achieved 8 by last week, one with the mighty Palestinians. The only major trading nation we have done a deal with being Switzerland.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLMEW2 ... ture=share just a comment on the united Ireland stance.
The E.U 27 appear to be totally united at a political level , It's underneath that the anti E.U sentiment is bubbling away there are factions everywhere protesting with apparent D notices on reporting their actions.
May's problem is that her so called deal / treaty is so bad that it's opposed from both sides. This morning Margaret Beckett's motion (Confirmatory public vote) is being touted but really it's two way vote of May's deal which no-one wants or remain. Not an exactly level playing field.

nut flush gooner

A11M11 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLMEW2 ... ture=share just a comment on the united Ireland stance.
The E.U 27 appear to be totally united at a political level , It's underneath that the anti E.U sentiment is bubbling away there are factions everywhere protesting with apparent D notices on reporting their actions.
May's problem is that her so called deal / treaty is so bad that it's opposed from both sides. This morning Margaret Beckett's motion (Confirmatory public vote) is being touted but really it's two way vote of May's deal which no-one wants or remain. Not an exactly level playing field.
Is a retired journalist/bureaucrat reflective of the overall sentiment of Ireland towards the EU. That's a hard thing to say.

Ireland remember where bailed out by the EU. They benefit from having low Corporation tax rates in that they attract US tech companies, who do business within the EU. I get the feeling Ireland as a nation (but I could be wrong) are much more pro EU than we are.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Is a retired journalist/bureaucrat reflective of the overall sentiment of Ireland towards the EU

I doubt that it is the mainstream but it's there . People are waking up to the fact that the E.U is nothing like the trading agreement that we joined all those years ago and as the information of it's intentions creeps out see the Frexit marchers and the recent Diane James MEP's report on the future of Europe as it sets out it's vision.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:56 am
Is a retired journalist/bureaucrat reflective of the overall sentiment of Ireland towards the EU

I doubt that it is the mainstream but it's there . People are waking up to the fact that the E.U is nothing like the trading agreement that we joined all those years ago and as the information of it's intentions creeps out see the Frexit marchers and the recent Diane James MEP's report on the future of Europe as it sets out it's vision.
every country has its fringe elements.
the majority of French people approve of the EU however.

the latest survey showed that if there was a referendum similar to the UK then the split would be 60:40 in favour of remain