The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Gunner Rob

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 - I have no idea what you are waffling on about, but I can appreciate why you might be confused by the current situation.
I will agree with you that it is one big mess!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I was trying to illustrate how despite the countries gain in the financial sector the demise of industry in the rest of the country has put us at a great disadvantage.
I don't know the age of you people but I am happy to give you a clue of mine . My first trip to Highbury was in 1954 to see a football combination match with my mother it was only two years later that my father allowed me to go for a first team match.
Throughout my working career I have watched British industry collapse and rise again and then during our period of E.U membership decline again . We have sold off the family silver on the altar financial benefit , we have taken money from any Tom , Dick or Harry that has promised investment without looking at the long term consequences of our actions and the whole Brexit experience has woken the population to the realisation that whether you want to go or not the political system is rotten.
I and those of my mind set want to build the country back up from within I would like the investment to come from British entrepeneurs rather than disparate sources only interesting in making a quick buck.
It's a salutary lesson but you only have to look at the rich and famous who whilst they are at the top of their popularity have friends surrounding their every move however as they slip down the charts their friends disappear . That's life and it's the same with investors , as soon as they see a better deal they are gone.
It's time to look out for ourselves and tying ourselves in to a political union is not the way to go.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 am
Herd wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm
Whatever we say now it's irrelevant, the stitch up is now reaching the end game and although there might be some twists and turns still it's almost decided we won't be leaving the EU or we tie ourselves to the treaty May was handed down which as I've said is worse than staying .

There's far worse coming soon including the end of free speech reduction in your human rights ,and after the Lisbon treaty kicks in you can get used to the euro and the end of your freedom as a country forever !

I used to think we were the 51st state ,but seems we will be the EU's poodle instead !
just think about what you have just written.
you are quite happy to dismiss all the "Project Fear" based on facts from the Remainers, BUT quite happy to believe all the rubbish from the eurosceptics! if we stay in the EU we will NOT be forced into the euro anytime soon!
Fella just read the Lisbon treaty and ALL it entails ,it requires everyone to join the euro we currently have an opt out but this will be rescinded toute suite ,it removes any rebates and increases our contributions , it removes the power of veto ,and requires only a majority to pass any new laws it wants on all of us ,it effectively reduces parliament to a parish council ,since Germany and France run the Eu we will as always be asked to bear more than our fare share and when the economies of the Spanish and others collapse again (and they will) we will be there footing the bill . Our stock market will be moved to Frankfurt losing thousands of jobs however the City have moves that will counter it's effect on it's powers and its why they are pushing May for the soft Brexit which will keep the status quo ,NEVER underestimate the power of the City of London .I'm no Billy Britain but I know the future and as Leonard Cohen said IT IS MURDER !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 am
I was trying to illustrate how despite the countries gain in the financial sector the demise of industry in the rest of the country has put us at a great disadvantage.
I don't know the age of you people but I am happy to give you a clue of mine . My first trip to Highbury was in 1954 to see a football combination match with my mother it was only two years later that my father allowed me to go for a first team match.
Throughout my working career I have watched British industry collapse and rise again and then during our period of E.U membership decline again . We have sold off the family silver on the altar financial benefit , we have taken money from any Tom , Dick or Harry that has promised investment without looking at the long term consequences of our actions and the whole Brexit experience has woken the population to the realisation that whether you want to go or not the political system is rotten.
I and those of my mind set want to build the country back up from within I would like the investment to come from British entrepeneurs rather than disparate sources only interesting in making a quick buck.
It's a salutary lesson but you only have to look at the rich and famous who whilst they are at the top of their popularity have friends surrounding their every move however as they slip down the charts their friends disappear . That's life and it's the same with investors , as soon as they see a better deal they are gone.
It's time to look out for ourselves and tying ourselves in to a political union is not the way to go.
ok fair enough, this makes more sense now, although I don't agree with the direction that you think the country should take.
as you say the demise of industry has made the country less powerful. Therefore it is essential surely that we are part of an organisation like the EU?

the former Brexiteer, Peter Oborne in the article that i posted yesterday makes the point that "Easy access to Europe was the most important reason why so many important foreign companies chose to invest in this country over the past three or four decades. Investment has come in the shape of both manufacturing and services"

he argues that in the last 2 years we have seen the rise of 2 great protectionist blocs in China and the US. He says "In this new and dangerous environment, it is folly to rely on the World Trade Organization (WTO). Yet the WTO is fundamental to the Brexiteer economic model".I don’t think any country that is small relative to these blocs can rely on the WTO alone. We would be adrift and at the mercy of larger powers as we try to go it alone. The EU has just signed a huge, ground-breaking free-trade deal with Japan. If we leave, we must begin complex negotiations to get something as good. Does anyone seriously think we could get something better?

this is why when people of your generation say that we were ok in the past outside the EU you are wrong. we wouldnt be going back to those days. the world is much more different now, far more connected. Cutting ourselves off from the world today is stupidity beyond belief. The world is now laughing at us, time to get some pride back and be Great Britain, a powerful nation WITHIN the EU.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Sorry Im just playing loads of Leonard Cohen now and getting drunk and sentimental !and remembering telling the Pet Shop Boys they should cover "first we take Manhattan"' at one of the bears birthday does !

Herd

Post by Herd »

Hello are we still in the Eu ????
Just wondering like ????
For the crap written on here including my own we still appear to be in the Eu ???

https://www.facebook.com/raheemkassam/v ... 346364294/

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 am
Hello are we still in the Eu ????
Just wondering like ????
For the crap written on here including my own we still appear to be in the Eu ???

https://www.facebook.com/raheemkassam/v ... 346364294/
Yes we are still in the EU! :unionjack:

nice edited video but you have to remember that Brexit was all based on lies https://brexitlies.com/

and David Davis did say "If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy."

but maybe with a look to the future there is Jacob Rees Mogg who years ago said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3rX4nJ0snc

anyway looks like Leavers will have to get used to losing for a change. at least its a win for the country though :unionjack:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Herd wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:00 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 am
Herd wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm
Whatever we say now it's irrelevant, the stitch up is now reaching the end game and although there might be some twists and turns still it's almost decided we won't be leaving the EU or we tie ourselves to the treaty May was handed down which as I've said is worse than staying .

There's far worse coming soon including the end of free speech reduction in your human rights ,and after the Lisbon treaty kicks in you can get used to the euro and the end of your freedom as a country forever !

I used to think we were the 51st state ,but seems we will be the EU's poodle instead !
just think about what you have just written.
you are quite happy to dismiss all the "Project Fear" based on facts from the Remainers, BUT quite happy to believe all the rubbish from the eurosceptics! if we stay in the EU we will NOT be forced into the euro anytime soon!
Fella just read the Lisbon treaty and ALL it entails ,it requires everyone to join the euro we currently have an opt out but this will be rescinded toute suite ,it removes any rebates and increases our contributions , it removes the power of veto ,and requires only a majority to pass any new laws it wants on all of us ,it effectively reduces parliament to a parish council ,since Germany and France run the Eu we will as always be asked to bear more than our fare share and when the economies of the Spanish and others collapse again (and they will) we will be there footing the bill . Our stock market will be moved to Frankfurt losing thousands of jobs however the City have moves that will counter it's effect on it's powers and its why they are pushing May for the soft Brexit which will keep the status quo ,NEVER underestimate the power of the City of London .I'm no Billy Britain but I know the future and as Leonard Cohen said IT IS MURDER !
Who says there is no opt out for the euro? Only you perhaps. The Lisbon treaty confirms we have an opt out beyond 2020. Two of the strongest economies in the EU have their own Sovereign currency and there is no sign of them being asked to adopt the Euro. That in its own right would be adequate reason to leave the EU for me, but brexiteers like Esther Mcvey just pedal lies to justify their stance.

Would you honestly trust a scouser as far as you could throw them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47523168

Our stock market will not be moved to Frankfurt. God knows where you get this from Herd. The FTSE 100 for example is an index of 100 companies that happen to be the largest and decide to list in London. Many of them are international companies that operate beyond the boundaries of the UK even Europe. EU membership will not determine which city they choose to list their shares. They could easily list in New York, Singapore or Tokyo. The issue with city based financial services and other professional services is the passporting rights into the EU which go on leaving the EU (unless possibly if we remain in the single market/customs union).

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

hopefully now Brexit might just fade away.
there doesn't appear to be much appetite for it anymore.

maybe time to lock the thread :barscarf:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

there doesn't appear to be much appetite for it anymore.

maybe time to lock the thread .

I think you under estimate the people that you can't be bothered to listen to.

No doubt you ae hoping for a quick royal wedding or another regal birth to take away the public focus so that the whole subject can be forgotten and pass away quietly.

Not going to happen .

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Thread is now locked

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

no doubt until something happens which at the moment inertia seems to be the order of the day.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I loved the fact that May got an extension and then promptly went on Holiday !
Watch the space for the final stich up !
I can honestly say I have never hated politicians more than I do today !

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:59 am
Thread is now locked

Nice try - give it a week or so and have another go :lol:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

With all the elections coming up , it should just start getting interesting.