Watford (A) PL 15/04 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: Watford (A) PL 15/04 @ 20:00

Post by Nos89 »

Don't care about how we won at Watford, we won 3 points and back up in the top 4. Finishing as high up the table we possibly can is the aim, third really isn't a distant dream.
Remember when Arsenal were criticised for not winning ugly but were losing beautifully? Well we won bang ugly tonight and that's what was needed.

The negativity after a positive result is undermining the manager. Look at Ipswich, wanted McCarthy out after poor but positives results got relegated. Under the previous manager we would have lost that but played better football.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Christ what are we going to be like on Sunday for Palace after Napoli away this week.

If that's all we could muster up tonight we are going to be fucked by Sunday.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Don't care about how we won at Watford, we won 3 points and back up in the top 4. Finishing as high up the table we possibly can is the aim, third really isn't a distant dream.
Remember when Arsenal were criticised for not winning ugly but were losing beautifully? Well we won bang ugly tonight and that's what was needed.

The negativity after a positive result is undermining the manager. Look at Ipswich, wanted McCarthy out after poor but positives results got relegated. Under the previous manager we would have lost that but played better football.
Good points. In my mind, it makes no fucking difference how you win, you just need to win. You get the same 3 points for winning 1-0 against 10 men as you for winning 8-0 against 11. Right now, it's about points on the board and finishing in the top 4. If Emery achieves that with this squad and after the shit of the previous years, he will have done very well. We need to be more positive about where we are right now.

Herd

Post by Herd »

It would be amusing if the student basher
Deeney gets a lengthy ban that kept him out of the Cup final for his shirt stripping abuse of the ref.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Herd wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:05 am
Deeney gets a lengthy ban that kept him out of the Cup final for his shirt stripping abuse of the ref.
After the semi finals I thought it would be a nice story if Watford won the Cup. Now I hope City destroy them. Watching them and listening to their fans last night it was like a reincarnation of Big Sam's or Tony Pullis ' days against Arsenal.
Spiteful fouling and stereotypical songs. Deeney likes to put himself about as the hard man. His previous comments about Arsenal and Arsenal players crossed a line . He tried the Tiny Taylor , Dan Smith approach but the idiot flagged it with his mouthing. Watford will probably moan about it in a Bolton " small clubs get nothing " way but if they look at it rationally they will tell him he has let the club down.
As much as I moan about Carragher and Neville at least they did see it for what it was, ten or twenty years ago the pundits would be rejoicing in thuggary against Arsenal.
On the game itself , it was pure torture to watch. Leno and Kos kept us alive and Maitland Niles, despite being on for a short time, deserves credit.
Is there any point in Iwobi ? Zero end product. Hopefully the players had Thursday on their minds, nothing else excuses that dross.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Aww how sweet. Another pathetic small club trying to create a "rivalry" with us :roll:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I see on social media, AFTV twats like DT and lee Gunner defending Xhaka and Iwobi constantly. Both players are shit, particularly Iwobi. Funny how having pace but no end product means a player is quality but never did when Walcott was around :roll:

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

It was like watching a 11 v 10 keep ball rondo for 90 mins. Tedious.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 am
Herd wrote:
After the semi finals I thought it would be a nice story if Watford won the Cup. Now I hope City destroy them. Watching them and listening to their fans last night it was like a reincarnation of Big Sam's or Tony Pullis ' days against Arsenal.
Spiteful fouling and stereotypical songs. Deeney likes to put himself about as the hard man. His previous comments about Arsenal and Arsenal players crossed a line . He tried the Tiny Taylor , Dan Smith approach but the idiot flagged it with his mouthing. Watford will probably moan about it in a Bolton " small clubs get nothing " way but if they look at it rationally they will tell him he has let the club down.
As much as I moan about Carragher and Neville at least they did see it for what it was, ten or twenty years ago the pundits would be rejoicing in thuggary against Arsenal.
On the game itself , it was pure torture to watch. Leno and Kos kept us alive and Maitland Niles, despite being on for a short time, deserves credit.
Is there any point in Iwobi ? Zero end product. Hopefully the players had Thursday on their minds, nothing else excuses that dross.
Yeah hard man Deeny trying it on the smallest guy on the pitch :roll:

:barscarf:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
Herd wrote:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
Herd wrote:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:

exactly. this was a proper old school Arsenal performance and result. 1-0 to the Arsenal. Brilliant. Would much rather have that than a 3-3 draw we would probably have got under Wenger.

good to see the defence improving now too - 5 clean sheets in the past 6 matches. Champions League here we come! :barscarf:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 pm
So called hardman xhaka wimped out of three shocking 50/50 tackles - if either of my sons chickened out of tackles like that, I would fcuk their boots into the fire and would never let them play again :evil: :evil: Cowardly b.astard :censored: :censored:
This is one of the big reasons that I think that we suffer away - we have far too many pussies in the team who are afraid of getting whacked or kicked. Last night, I saw loads of 50/50s being shied away from different players. Also, our players are also knocked off the ball too easily without a fight and then throw their arms up looking for a free kick.

I see that the opposition sense this and get stuck in and most of our players wilt.

Also, the midfield jog back to offer token protection to the defenders, if they get there at all.

I put it down to personnel more than anything (or a lack of it). There is probably a minor tactical issue with committing so many men forward, which includes the deep lying midfielders, which doesn't help either. However, if he had two Torreiras out there, it wouldn't be an issue because you know that he will get back and make opponents think twice about trying to dribble past.

I hope that if we make top 4, that he is backed and purchases a tricky dribbling winger that can beat a man, another up and coming centreback and another tackling midfielder who can play.

I could be wrong, but didn't Maitland-Niles play left back for a bit last year? I would experiment with him there once Bellerin is fit again. I am not a fan of Kolasinac.

GTG

Post by GTG »

At the end of the day its a fucking lack of effort and commitment from some of them away from home. The same happened against Everton. They just don't fancy getting stuck in and working hard and that is fucking outrageous given the position we find ourselves in.

There is no way there should be such a disparity between home and away..... I find it impossible to lay much blame at Dicks door other than he keeps picking certain players because our home form has been fantastic.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am
Nos89 wrote:

exactly. this was a proper old school Arsenal performance and result. 1-0 to the Arsenal. Brilliant. Would much rather have that than a 3-3 draw we would probably have got under Wenger.

good to see the defence improving now too - 5 clean sheets in the past 6 matches. Champions League here we come! :barscarf:
Proper old school Arsenal performance!!?? It was one of the worst performances I've seen and God knows there have been plenty in the last decade. Against 11 it would have been thankful relief, but a frantic, frightened, cowardly, error stricken performance against 10 men was embarrassing and pitiful.

Xhaka is one of the worst players ever to pull on the jersey....he offers absolutely nothing except to give away the odd dangerously positioned free kick with ill judged, ill timed, reckless challenges, that's when he's not bottling out of them completely. The rest of the time he hangs around in the midfield too lazy to get forward on attack or back on defence.

Mykhatarian is just plain shite with no idea where the goal is, Iwobi is...who knows, is there a word for him?? And Mustafi, an ever present danger to the team, a mistake waiting to happen. These aforementioned players are just 4 of the worst, there are others Imo who aren't good enough to play for us either.These are not proper old school Arsenal material, they are dreadful players and Emery's committment to Xhaka and Iwobi makes me seriously question his judgement.

You feel relieved after the final whistle as it's 3 points in the bag but the thought of Leicester and Wolves away overshadows almost everything. Also Palace will be another examination of this team....thankfully it's at home, although I still expect us to be a "leeeetle beet jaded and lacking sharpness in the final third".