Watford (A) PL 15/04 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Watford (A) PL 15/04 @ 20:00

Post by Clash »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Don't care about how we won at Watford, we won 3 points and back up in the top 4. Finishing as high up the table we possibly can is the aim, third really isn't a distant dream.
Remember when Arsenal were criticised for not winning ugly but were losing beautifully? Well we won bang ugly tonight and that's what was needed.

The negativity after a positive result is undermining the manager. Look at Ipswich, wanted McCarthy out after poor but positives results got relegated. Under the previous manager we would have lost that but played better football.
exactly. this was a proper old school Arsenal performance and result. 1-0 to the Arsenal. Brilliant. Would much rather have that than a 3-3 draw we would probably have got under Wenger.

good to see the defence improving now too - 5 clean sheets in the past 6 matches. Champions League here we come! :barscarf:
Proper old school Arsenal performance!!?? It was one of the worst performances I've seen and God knows there have been plenty in the last decade. Against 11 it would have been thankful relief, but a frantic, frightened, cowardly, error stricken performance against 10 men was embarrassing and pitiful.

Xhaka is one of the worst players ever to pull on the jersey....he offers absolutely nothing except to give away the odd dangerously positioned free kick with ill judged, ill timed, reckless challenges, that's when he's not bottling out of them completely. The rest of the time he hangs around in the midfield too lazy to get forward on attack or back on defence.

Mykhatarian is just plain shite with no idea where the goal is, Iwobi is...who knows, is there a word for him?? And Mustafi, an ever present danger to the team, a mistake waiting to happen. These aforementioned players are just 4 of the worst, there are others Imo who aren't good enough to play for us either.These are not proper old school Arsenal material, they are dreadful players and Emery's committment to Xhaka and Iwobi makes me seriously question his judgement.

You feel relieved after the final whistle as it's 3 points in the bag but the thought of Leicester and Wolves away overshadows almost everything. Also Palace will be another examination of this team....thankfully it's at home, although I still expect us to be a "leeeetle beet jaded and lacking sharpness in the final third".
Pretty much agree with every word of this mate.

No way was that proper old school Arsenal. Only the scoreline was, the performance was truly shocking and there were absolutely no signs that our away form is getting any better. There was a real lack of desire and aggression too. Too many half hearted tackles. Somehow we got away with that one last night.

Some awful individual performances too. Mikhatarian (sp?) is up there with the worst players I have seen at the club. One good game (Spurs away) in his entire time in England, including his time at Man United suggests he isnt going to improve any time soon. He has ability but how long do you wait for him to start producing something?

Ands bad as our defence is, its the lack of chances being created away from home that worries me most. At Everton there was absolutely nothing and last night against 10 men there wasn't much more. And even if we do create something it is usually wasted.

The contrast between our home and away form is incredible. Dont think Ive ever seen such a difference.

Clash

Post by Clash »

As for Watford. I hope City get double figures against them in the cup final and Deeney gets stretchered off.

I've never like Watford. Horrible kit, crappy stadium, nauseating family atmosphere type fans, that cheating hypocrite Graham Taylor, shithole part of the country and even Elton John.

Last night their players and fans were pathetic. Small time losers. Hope they're relegated next season and back in obscurity where they belong!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Clash wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:29 am
As for Watford. I hope City get double figures against them in the cup final and Deeney gets stretchered off.

I've never like Watford. Horrible kit, crappy stadium, nauseating family atmosphere type fans, that cheating hypocrite Graham Taylor, shithole part of the country and even Elton John.

Last night their players and fans were pathetic. Small time losers. Hope they're relegated next season and back in obscurity where they belong!
they are the new Stoke City :D

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 am
Clash wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:29 am

they are the new Stoke City :D
They actually are.. I know geographically they are just north of London but mentally they seem a lot further north. ..Small time bitter fuckers.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Hello chaps, haven’t been on here since just after we got shot of the French clown. Like many on here, I wasn’t sure if the old desire would ever truly return and while the fire has sparked to a degree, I know that our Club will never be what it was, or should be, while the Kroenkes are around. Their presence keeps the spirits suitably dampened, but that’s a different discussion.

I suppose it says something about a stirring of the passions, that I’m compelled to post, following that horror show last night. What a fucking pile of crap !
It was impossible to tell in any way, that Watford played for 80 mins with 10 men. They more than matched us all over the park and I dread to think what would have happened had they had 11 players out there.

It’s all been said already on this thread, but what I’d add, is that far too often this season....and especially away from home, it’s as though Wenger never left and I can think of no greater indictment than that.

A few specifics :

Xhaka : 😱😱 Far and away the worst player at the Club. Brings absolutely nothing to the party. Looks uncomfortable and awkward on the ball and never fully in control. In fact, it’s clear that he doesn’t want the ball (always a sign of a poor player) and usually moves it 5 yards sideways or backwards, often playing the other guy into trouble. Gives the ball away constantly and very often in very dangerous positions. Underhits, overhits, misdirects passes. Can’t tackle and generally doesn’t even bother trying to. Piss poor positional sense and zero pace, lumbering around like an ancient, lame cart horse. Still, must have bought a season ticket, because he’s usually standing watching the game ! Nothing positive at all about the bloke, a complete liability.

Ramsey : we won’t miss him. Flatters to deceive, still gives the ball away all too often and dreadful positional sense defensively, for a centre mid. Better played as an advanced midfielder, where he can’t cause us defensive problems, but simply not good enough to make much impact attacking-wise. Trust me, after 3 months he’ll be warming the bench at Juve. The fans will be on his back and the coaches will see what they’ve really bought. British media love him....says it all I suppose.

Iwobi and Mikhitaryan : :banghead: Seriously, what’s the point of these two ?! Iwobi prances up the wing but NEVER takes his man on. Always the same thing...wiggle, step over, looks like he might try something, then turns and lays it back to nacho, or whoever. Mikhi is a poor man’s Ozil (and I’m coming to him !), has talent, but not interested and makes no real effort. Goes through the motions...actually, doesn’t even do that....and picks up the money.

Ozil : it’s all been said before on here. A quality footballer, but sadly lacking some vital ingredients. It won’t ever be any different....one good game, then five where he doesn’t show. Equally as frustrating is how, for a guy with undoubted technical talent, he often plays lax, half hearted passes which surrender possession. Frustrating player in the extreme and a luxury we can’t afford.

Mustafi : :lol: :lol: but actually :banghead: and :cry: I don’t really have to say anything, you all know already ! Ffs.

Aubameyang : Hmmm....he’ll score the fox in the box type goals and his goal return is very good, but I can’t help feeling underwhelmed. His all round game is well short for me and contributes little other than his goals. His decision making and execution when passing is below average. Nowhere near as impressed as I’d like to be and for an all round game, I prefer Laca.

Emery : Like so many fervently anti Wenger blokes on here, I want him to do well, simply on the basis that he isn’t Il Duce. He inherited a pony squad, full of bums and misfits and he’s made a reasonable fist of things. However, the very real concern I have about Dick, is his player judgement. It seems as though Xhaka is his first choice centre mid, when for me, he’s undoubtedly the last on the list and I’m including Elneny !! He also seems very convinced by Iwobi. Then there’s the inexplicable decisions in team selection for certain games....take last night, why the fuck play mavrapanos :shock: and stick mustafi at right back, when AMN was on the
bench ? The whole selection at Everton was a disaster before a ball was kicked. Then there’s some of his substitutions, which often weaken the team and someone earlier on this thread made that very point about last night. Why does he frequently hook Torreira, who is head and shoulders above any other centre mid we’ve got and leave Xhaka etc on the pitch ? Doesn’t inspire me with confidence in his judgement I’m afraid.

It’s early days and we won’t really be able to judge Dick until we’ll into next season (assuming he’s given money to spend, which is far from certain), but the jury is very much out for me. As I said above, all too often I still think I’m watching a team set up and coached (hah !) by Wenger.

Apologies for the novel, but it’s been a while. :D :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Clash wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:23 am
xisstential wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Don't care about how we won at Watford, we won 3 points and back up in the top 4. Finishing as high up the table we possibly can is the aim, third really isn't a distant dream.
Remember when Arsenal were criticised for not winning ugly but were losing beautifully? Well we won bang ugly tonight and that's what was needed.

The negativity after a positive result is undermining the manager. Look at Ipswich, wanted McCarthy out after poor but positives results got relegated. Under the previous manager we would have lost that but played better football.
exactly. this was a proper old school Arsenal performance and result. 1-0 to the Arsenal. Brilliant. Would much rather have that than a 3-3 draw we would probably have got under Wenger.

good to see the defence improving now too - 5 clean sheets in the past 6 matches. Champions League here we come! :barscarf:
Proper old school Arsenal performance!!?? It was one of the worst performances I've seen and God knows there have been plenty in the last decade. Against 11 it would have been thankful relief, but a frantic, frightened, cowardly, error stricken performance against 10 men was embarrassing and pitiful.

Xhaka is one of the worst players ever to pull on the jersey....he offers absolutely nothing except to give away the odd dangerously positioned free kick with ill judged, ill timed, reckless challenges, that's when he's not bottling out of them completely. The rest of the time he hangs around in the midfield too lazy to get forward on attack or back on defence.

Mykhatarian is just plain shite with no idea where the goal is, Iwobi is...who knows, is there a word for him?? And Mustafi, an ever present danger to the team, a mistake waiting to happen. These aforementioned players are just 4 of the worst, there are others Imo who aren't good enough to play for us either.These are not proper old school Arsenal material, they are dreadful players and Emery's committment to Xhaka and Iwobi makes me seriously question his judgement.

You feel relieved after the final whistle as it's 3 points in the bag but the thought of Leicester and Wolves away overshadows almost everything. Also Palace will be another examination of this team....thankfully it's at home, although I still expect us to be a "leeeetle beet jaded and lacking sharpness in the final third".
Pretty much agree with every word of this mate.

No way was that proper old school Arsenal. Only the scoreline was, the performance was truly shocking and there were absolutely no signs that our away form is getting any better. There was a real lack of desire and aggression too. Too many half hearted tackles. Somehow we got away with that one last night.

Some awful individual performances too. Mikhatarian (sp?) is up there with the worst players I have seen at the club. One good game (Spurs away) in his entire time in England, including his time at Man United suggests he isnt going to improve any time soon. He has ability but how long do you wait for him to start producing something?

Ands bad as our defence is, its the lack of chances being created away from home that worries me most. At Everton there was absolutely nothing and last night against 10 men there wasn't much more. And even if we do create something it is usually wasted.

The contrast between our home and away form is incredible. Dont think Ive ever seen such a difference.
"Old school Arsenal" those gritty away performances were built on a sound defence all working as one and superbly drilled
As above not sure we won any 50/50 tackles in midfield and it was an absolutely cowardly performance

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

sorry but I don't understand the criticism.

yes I accept that it was a bad performance but look at the context in which this match was played.

it was a Monday night in the same week as arguably the biggest match of the season in Naples - which is crazy scheduling by the way.
we started by resting our main striker, highest earner and best defender.
we WON the match albeit against 10 men
we kept a clean sheet

and don't forget we were away from home against one of the form teams in the country - FA Cup finalists, Watford.

sometimes you just have to grind a result out. the team did it last night. that 3 points might just have got us a top 4 finish, and more spending money for Emery in the summer to get rid of the rubbish that is still there from the Wenger era. I am feeling very positive today! :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 pm

yes I accept that it was a bad performance but look at the context in which this match was played.

it was a Monday night in the same week as arguably the biggest match of the season in Naples - which is crazy scheduling by the way.
we kept a clean sheet

and don't forget we were away from home against one of the form teams in the country - FA Cup finalists, Watford.

sometimes you just have to grind a result out. the team did it last night. that 3 points might just have got us a top 4 finish, and more spending money for Emery in the summer to get rid of the rubbish that is still there from the Wenger era. I am feeling very positive today! :barscarf:

I understand the criticism, and I even understand the severity of the criticism if you are judging this game on it's own, but I am trying to look at this game as part of the bigger picture in a week where we have a massive game on Thursday night - that isn't me claiming that I am enlightened or that I am right and you lot are wrong, but I am HOPING that some of the ineptitude can be explained by the players having one eye on the Napoli game, and that they will now turn in a massive performance to gloss over the shitiness of last nights game. I am as big a critic of these players as anyone, but sometimes sub-conscious thoughts creep in to your mind and can have an effect - when dick names his team last night and leaves out laca, ozil, maitland-niles and kolasniac, in my opinion it tells the players that the Napoli game is more important, and that absolutely has to affect the mentality of the players.
As I said previously, we were very poor but we did get the 3pts, and at this stage of the season that is THE most important thing for me, cos to instigate the serious squad overhaul that I want this summer, dick is gonna need every penny that he can gather, and champs league football is crucial as a result

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:52 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

we kept a clean sheet

I understand the criticism, and I even understand the severity of the criticism if you are judging this game on it's own, but I am trying to look at this game as part of the bigger picture in a week where we have a massive game on Thursday night - that isn't me claiming that I am enlightened or that I am right and you lot are wrong, but I am HOPING that some of the ineptitude can be explained by the players having one eye on the Napoli game, and that they will now turn in a massive performance to gloss over the shitiness of last nights game. I am as big a critic of these players as anyone, but sometimes sub-conscious thoughts creep in to your mind and can have an effect - when dick names his team last night and leaves out laca, ozil, maitland-niles and kolasniac, in my opinion it tells the players that the Napoli game is more important, and that absolutely has to affect the mentality of the players.
As I said previously, we were very poor but we did get the 3pts, and at this stage of the season that is THE most important thing for me, cos to instigate the serious squad overhaul that I want this summer, dick is gonna need every penny that he can gather, and champs league football is crucial as a result
Problem is our owners.....Kroenke wants to be in the CL for the revenue, not necessarily to win it. If Dick can get us in with this shower of shit, why would Kroenke need to spend any money?? To put up any kind of show in the CL we probably need to spend around 150m. Where is that going to come from? We cannot go into the CL with this team, within a couple of months we'll be back in the Europa.

augie

Post by augie »

But we need the money from champs league football to give dick a chance to get rid of useless c.unts he has filling up his squad, cos without it he will never be able to afford to upgrade our squad - if qualifying gives dick a decent amount to buy some quality players this summer then I would grab that even if it means we get our pants pulled down a few times in champs league while we wait for them to bed in 8)

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:52 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

we kept a clean sheet

Spot on for me. I don't care about CL the CL is a monument to everything wrong with football, but we have a cheap owner and so need that extra cash so he will let our new manager buy new players.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 pm
Hello chaps, haven’t been on here since just after we got shot of the French clown. Like many on here, I wasn’t sure if the old desire would ever truly return and while the fire has sparked to a degree, I know that our Club will never be what it was, or should be, while the Kroenkes are around. Their presence keeps the spirits suitably dampened, but that’s a different discussion.

I suppose it says something about a stirring of the passions, that I’m compelled to post, following that horror show last night. What a fucking pile of crap !
It was impossible to tell in any way, that Watford played for 80 mins with 10 men. They more than matched us all over the park and I dread to think what would have happened had they had 11 players out there.

It’s all been said already on this thread, but what I’d add, is that far too often this season....and especially away from home, it’s as though Wenger never left and I can think of no greater indictment than that.

A few specifics :

Xhaka : 😱😱 Far and away the worst player at the Club. Brings absolutely nothing to the party. Looks uncomfortable and awkward on the ball and never fully in control. In fact, it’s clear that he doesn’t want the ball (always a sign of a poor player) and usually moves it 5 yards sideways or backwards, often playing the other guy into trouble. Gives the ball away constantly and very often in very dangerous positions. Underhits, overhits, misdirects passes. Can’t tackle and generally doesn’t even bother trying to. Piss poor positional sense and zero pace, lumbering around like an ancient, lame cart horse. Still, must have bought a season ticket, because he’s usually standing watching the game ! Nothing positive at all about the bloke, a complete liability.

Ramsey : we won’t miss him. Flatters to deceive, still gives the ball away all too often and dreadful positional sense defensively, for a centre mid. Better played as an advanced midfielder, where he can’t cause us defensive problems, but simply not good enough to make much impact attacking-wise. Trust me, after 3 months he’ll be warming the bench at Juve. The fans will be on his back and the coaches will see what they’ve really bought. British media love him....says it all I suppose.

Iwobi and Mikhitaryan : :banghead: Seriously, what’s the point of these two ?! Iwobi prances up the wing but NEVER takes his man on. Always the same thing...wiggle, step over, looks like he might try something, then turns and lays it back to nacho, or whoever. Mikhi is a poor man’s Ozil (and I’m coming to him !), has talent, but not interested and makes no real effort. Goes through the motions...actually, doesn’t even do that....and picks up the money.

Ozil : it’s all been said before on here. A quality footballer, but sadly lacking some vital ingredients. It won’t ever be any different....one good game, then five where he doesn’t show. Equally as frustrating is how, for a guy with undoubted technical talent, he often plays lax, half hearted passes which surrender possession. Frustrating player in the extreme and a luxury we can’t afford.

Mustafi : :lol: :lol: but actually :banghead: and :cry: I don’t really have to say anything, you all know already ! Ffs.

Aubameyang : Hmmm....he’ll score the fox in the box type goals and his goal return is very good, but I can’t help feeling underwhelmed. His all round game is well short for me and contributes little other than his goals. His decision making and execution when passing is below average. Nowhere near as impressed as I’d like to be and for an all round game, I prefer Laca.

Emery : Like so many fervently anti Wenger blokes on here, I want him to do well, simply on the basis that he isn’t Il Duce. He inherited a pony squad, full of bums and misfits and he’s made a reasonable fist of things. However, the very real concern I have about Dick, is his player judgement. It seems as though Xhaka is his first choice centre mid, when for me, he’s undoubtedly the last on the list and I’m including Elneny !! He also seems very convinced by Iwobi. Then there’s the inexplicable decisions in team selection for certain games....take last night, why the fuck play mavrapanos :shock: and stick mustafi at right back, when AMN was on the
bench ? The whole selection at Everton was a disaster before a ball was kicked. Then there’s some of his substitutions, which often weaken the team and someone earlier on this thread made that very point about last night. Why does he frequently hook Torreira, who is head and shoulders above any other centre mid we’ve got and leave Xhaka etc on the pitch ? Doesn’t inspire me with confidence in his judgement I’m afraid.

It’s early days and we won’t really be able to judge Dick until we’ll into next season (assuming he’s given money to spend, which is far from certain), but the jury is very much out for me. As I said above, all too often I still think I’m watching a team set up and coached (hah !) by Wenger.

Apologies for the novel, but it’s been a while. :D :wink:
Nice to see you again Retro :barscarf: but a simple “hello again chaps” would have been sufficient you know :wink:

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:00 pm
But we need the money from champs league football to give dick a chance to get rid of useless c.unts he has filling up his squad, cos without it he will never be able to afford to upgrade our squad - if qualifying gives dick a decent amount to buy some quality players this summer then I would grab that even if it means we get our pants pulled down a few times in champs league while we wait for them in bed 8)
:shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:18 pm
Hello chaps, haven’t been on here since just after we got shot of the French clown. Like many on here, I wasn’t sure if blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah......
:lol: :wink: :wink:

Hi mate. Welcome back! 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Shit game. Good win. Fuck you fat elephant man. Watford fans sound desperate to be disliked or something. Pathetic losers. Comedy Two Arses is gash.