Napoli (A) Europa League 18/04 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Napoli (A) Europa League 18/04 @ 20:00

Post by Clash »

The scenario I feared didn't even come close to happening. Very nice to be proved so wrong :barscarf:

Same result as at Watford but a completely different kind of performance. Very controlled and professional tonight and pretty much the perfect way to play a 2 leg tie.

Loved the free-kick. The strike and trajectory of the ball was beautiful. Far more pleasing on the eye than those weird Ronaldo top of the foot efforts where the ball does that wobbly thing in the air.

Pity we are at home again in the 1st leg in the semi's though. I remember going out to Valencia on away goals in 2001 after we won the 1st leg at Highbury so would be nice to take a good lead to Spain without conceding at home.

Shame about Ramsey too. Time for Ozil to show us what we all know he can do.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 pm
Elneny on for Insigne.
Underated Post, Elneny is almost worst than having 10 men.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Fantastic result!! :barscarf:

Btw, so much for the "Napoli cauldron" all I saw was loads of empty seats, and the stand quite far away from the pitch :D

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I criticise Emery when he makes mistakes but tactically he was spot on last night. They rarely troubled us, and to have kept a clean sheet over two legs against the supposed 'best team in the competition' was fantastic. Lacazette's free kick was brilliant and he has to be in line for player of the season. The perfect scenario now would be to finish in the top 4, while Chelsea finish 5th/6th and they would be shitting themselves ahead of the final while we could go in relaxed.
On a side-note, i seen it mentioned about VAR being in the final, what aload of bollocks. It isn't seen for the entire competition, yet in the final, if we score we will have to sit there twiddling our thumbs while the ref checks a TV screen to see if he should disallow it , fuck that.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

CloakedGooner wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:48 am
Fantastic result!! :barscarf:

Btw, so much for the "Napoli cauldron" all I saw was loads of empty seats, and the stand quite far away from the pitch :D
Did John Hartson once make reference to the atmosphere and packed house ? Pretty sure he said something on those lines.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I thought that was an excellent performance. Very brave team selection. Setting up with a lone striker and a negative line-up would have played into their hands.

To be honest I thought we were quite comfortable, even when sitting back in the second half. Don’t forget that most people on here predicted that we would get hammered by Napoli and torn to shreds. The reality is that we absolutely hammered them in the first leg and they barely laid a glove on us away from home.

Bring on Valencia. Would rather be playing at this stage in the CL but this is proper European knockout stuff.

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 pm
The commentator on Virgin is a dickhead. Has now started slagging off the Europa League because we are winning comfortably

It was shameful how that c.unt commentated that game last night - I can usually accept some former pro being biased towards his old club, but this c.unts hatred of us shown to the point that he totally disrespected us, and that is unacceptable :censored: :censored: