Leicester City|Away|PL|Sunday 28th April|12pm KO

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g88ner

Re: Leicester City|Away|PL|Sunday 28th April|12pm KO

Post by g88ner »

it's a sobering thought that we're over 40 games into the emery era yet show no sign of improvement whatsoever.

- defensively we're atrocious (and that's being kind)
- we struggle to pass (or think) under pressure.
- we look impotent up front
- we bottle every opportunity that comes our way

it's like wenger never left. I knew it would take time but has there been any progress at all???

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I've always said that Emery needed to be given 2/3 years to turn things round. I'd go so far as to say that the only Wenger player who has a future as a first-team regular is Lacazette (I don't count Aubameyang as he was signed over Wenger's head). Most of the players Emery has had the chance to bring in so far have been improvements.

But that isn't to say I'm convinced we have the right manager. I am concerned that Emery's cv does not provide evidence of know-how defensively. And I'm not sure Bouldy adds much even assuming he's allowed to do more than put cones out these days.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:10 pm
I've always said that Emery needed to be given 2/3 years to turn things round. I'd go so far as to say that the only Wenger player who has a future as a first-team regular is Lacazette (I don't count Aubameyang as he was signed over Wenger's head). Most of the players Emery has had the chance to bring in so far have been improvements.

But that isn't to say I'm convinced we have the right manager. I am concerned that Emery's cv does not provide evidence of know-how defensively. And I'm not sure Bouldy adds much even assuming he's allowed to do more than put cones out these days.
You're right, Bob. I think he needs 18 months with his own players to see what he can do. The squad is wafer thin with some decent players. He's over-achieved with this lot and to be fifth in his first year in England isn't too bad considering where we were a year ago. Give him a chance to build his own team and then we'll see what he can do. This squad isn't good enough to finish 3rd or 4th to still be in with a chance of 4th isn't bad going. Things have improved but from what he must have seen when he walked on the training ground last summer, I think he's done a decent job.
In terms of Bouldy, my feeling is that he will go this summer. Emery wants his own blokes around him and Bould doesn't seem to be adding any value or even really be involved. I read somewhere that he was told last June/July that his role would be reduced and offered a pay-off and the chance to give but he chose to stay for one more year. I think he was seen as the familiar face on the coaching staff to ease the transition before making a diplomatic exit this summer.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:10 pm
I've always said that Emery needed to be given 2/3 years to turn things round.
you're right to say a manager needs 2 or 3 years to turn things around but a season is enough to make progress and I'm not convinced we have.

we're a season into the emery era and losing away from home against anyone is now expected. even a Watford team with 10 men for 80 minutes deserved to beat us.

I expected coaching to improve our defensive numbers but he's had no positive impact whatsoever.

also, we look like a side with no plan. no identity and no cohesion... but is that a surprise when you make wholesale changes every game? - making that many changes each week is surely contributing to our God awful season.

I'm not saying sack him now or in the summer but if there's no improvement by Christmas he should be sacked for definite.

markyp

Post by markyp »

It's a worry for next season,I don't see how a manager can turn capitulation after capitulation against shit teams into something that can even remotely challenge by this time next year.klopp had his wobbles in his early days with Liverpool but it wasn't a dicking week in week out,it's a concern

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

markyp wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:44 pm
It's a worry for next season,I don't see how a manager can turn capitulation after capitulation against shit teams into something that can even remotely challenge by this time next year.klopp had his wobbles in his early days with Liverpool but it wasn't a dicking week in week out,it's a concern
totally agree.

what is clear is that he's more of a tinkerman that Ranieri ever was. every week he makes wholesale changes and the amount of shite team selections he has to rectify with half time subs is a joke.

I really can't be arsed with more tinkerman shite next season. ffs let's get a system and an identity and work on perfecting it like city and Liverpool. fuck off with different teams and formations every week. too clever for his own good! :roll:

wibble

Post by wibble »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:53 pm
it's a sobering thought that we're over 40 games into the emery era yet show no sign of improvement whatsoever.

- defensively we're atrocious (and that's being kind)
- we struggle to pass (or think) under pressure.
- we look impotent up front
- we bottle every opportunity that comes our way

it's like wenger never left. I knew it would take time but has there been any progress at all???
Agree, it’s very debatable as to whether there’s been any improvement at all.

Defending-still atrocious
Away form-still atrocious

3 points from our last 5 games is pathetic, particularly given the opposition.
To be fair to emery I doubt many managers could have done much more with these players but the lack of improvement is still worrying
Only way he can prove he is beginning to improve our mentality is to win the europa

ETA, that’s now 10 league defeats this season (so far). Pathetic

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Maybe Emery should play this eleven instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48086079

shu

Post by shu »

There appears to be no outlet , what happened to the winger who came in , in jan ?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Just seen the second yellow card, fucking ridiculous...

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:25 pm
yeah looked harsh but still a daft challenge when on a yellow.

to be fair, I think I saw we had a measly 19% possession before the sending off. yes it changed the game but we were shite and getting dicked on even when 11 v 11....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:37 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:25 pm
yeah looked harsh but still a daft challenge when on a yellow.

to be fair, I think I saw we had a measly 19% possession before the sending off. yes it changed the game but we were shite and getting dicked on even when 11 v 11....
oh yeah still think we would have lost, but down to 10 did not help

Leno was only decent player

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:30 pm
As shit as most of them are us there a more hateful player than miki. Does absolutely fuck all. Trots around putting 0 effort in. And a utter coward too. Hate him. Surely a kid could do no worse?

Xhaka comes a close 2nd for simple casual attitude and general shittiness messing 99% of things up.

We have so many players who need to be bombed out of the club.
And yet both of them are a million times better than Comedy Fucking Two Arses. :roll:
At least his arses fill up some space. Miki Plas like someone who has ME

It's scandalous

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Emery will be given 2 to 3 years but not because he needs it, may he does maybe he doesn't, he will be given 2 to 3 years because our owner is a total c*nt with no ambition and wont make a 'rash' decision because he is more interested in the LA Rams project, Arsenal will tick over and make a profit once we've cut our wage bill down, that is all that he cares about.

Pathetic excuse for a club and have absolutely no pride at all in calling myself a gooner. Roll on the summer and no football.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:29 pm
What a week that was. 7 days, 3 losses and pissed in 9 goals for good measure.

Fuck the lot of em, useless c.unts. The sooner the season is over the better because I can’t stomach another second of those spineless loser pricks.

Manager doesn’t seem to have a fucking scooby either, conceding from a straight punt up the field?

We’ve got our Wenger back :banghead:

Rodders I agree with the vast majority of what you say, but I simply cannot agree with that - surely the players on the pitch are the one's expected to deal with a route one punt up the field ? Is dick supposed to trot out to defend it ? I'm not saying this as a blind defence of dick cos I totally believe that his shocking team selection v palace was THE turning point and ended our top 4 hopes, but some of the things he is getting blamed for is comical -

1. Emery tinkers with the team selection too much according to some, but then he is also being blamed for picking the same players game after game by others - which is it cos it cant be both.

2. We have shown no improvements under emery - for starters we are 9pts better off, but don't let that fact get in the way.

3. Defensively we are no better - for most of this season dick has had to do without his first choice right full and holding (one of our best centre backs), so it's very hard to compare and especially when it means that he has to use the worst centre back since silvestre (mustafi).

For me the main problems we have is (a) too many of the players are simply not good enough (b) FAR too many of the players are gutless and devoid of any type of passion and commitment - I honestly do not know what any manager can do to fix them mid-season. If dick gets funds to spend and still see's mustafi, lard arse and mikki as worthy AFC players, then that for me is a sacking offence and I would absolutely get rid.

Is it possible to get the likes of mikki, lard arse and ozil to work harder and show some commitment to the cause ? No chance imo.
Is it possible to turn a useless german c.unt into a good defender ? No fcuking chance imo.
Is it possible to get auba to work harder and look like you actually give a fcuk in games like today ? Doubtful imo
Is it possible to instill a team first ethos in kolasniac, xhaka and monreal ? The amount of times these c.unts make fcuk all effort to get back into position when the opposition is attacking is absolutely disgraceful, but they feel no responsibility to their team-mates at all.

I really don't think that dick or any manager has a prayer with this club - it is a club over-run with sub-standard shite and zero ambition, and where apathy is rife