Leicester City|Away|PL|Sunday 28th April|12pm KO

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: Leicester City|Away|PL|Sunday 28th April|12pm KO

Post by Midz »

Ernie71 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 pm
This is Jurgen Klopp's first squad at Liverpool . 3 and a half years ago away to Spurs .They finished 8th behind West Ham in his first season. Only Milner and Lallana are still there. Klopp was given time and money to rebuild. Rebuilding the mess Wenger left us in will take a lot of money and time.The Liverpool board and fans backed Klopp. I remember most Arsenal fans said when Emery took over that it was never going to be a quick fix now some of those same fans are calling for Emery's head.If thats the case we will have a new manager every year

Liverpool’s starting XI v Spurs: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi
Subs: Toure, Allen, Ibe, Bogdan, Sinclair, Vilaca Teixeira, Randall
That's very interesting and well done to Liverpool. Their board has backed Klopp and spent the money to buy a half decent squad.

the Arsenal board and owner are unfortunately a very different animal and will in no way give Emery the funds to buy quality players like Allison and van Dyke. Kroenke is just a plain money grabbing *word censored*, and the rest of the board are complete tossers.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Midz wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 pm

That's very interesting and well done to Liverpool. Their board has backed Klopp and spent the money to buy a half decent squad.

the Arsenal board and owner are unfortunately a very different animal and will in no way give Emery the funds to buy quality players like Allison and van Dyke. Kroenke is just a plain money grabbing *word censored*, and the rest of the board are complete tossers.
Exactly, time is only relevant if Emery is backed financially, we have no valueable assets to sell from the squad, our equivalent to Coutinho is Ozil who is the wrong side of 30 and on silly wages.

Kroenke backed Wenger with time (not money) to run the club into the ground, blaming Wenger as I have said a thousand times is just stupid, until we get the parasite owner out of the club it is f*cked, changing manager will have little effect when whoever they are wont be top level and wont have a pot to p!ss in.

Herd

Post by Herd »

what got me today was how wenger like the performance was and not for the first time either !

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

On the Emery situation, I have maintained all season that the "he deserves huge credit" brigade were looking to pretend he had worked a miracle when in reality he had simply maintained the same performance as under Wenger. We are more than likely going to finish the season 6th, which is exactly the same as last season. Emery clearly hasn't a clue of his best team - and the season is almost over. He is continually making mistakes tactically and personnel wise, and what is worse, the squad aren't exactly giving it their all for him - even Lacazette wasn't arsed today. Anyone on here that wants to give him time to build his own side(free of Wenger signings) I understand, but giving him credit for standing still is embarrassing. I will also add that as Augie pointed out, our points total has improved this season, but this should mean fuck all(as league position is all that matters) unless you want to find a way to defend Emery. Anyone that uses points totals as an indicator, well L'pool will presumably finish the season with 97 points, while the Invincibles won the league with 90 points, so by that logic, L'pool are a better team - when in reality, they aren't in the same universe as the Invincibles.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

G88ner has made a number of posts over the last 2 or 3 pages, which nail everything imo. I also have sympathy with Sid's opinion. I said recently that while we all knew that Dick was inheriting a squad full of deadbeats, he's had a full season with these blokes, plus the two or 3 additions that most of us were pleased with, notably Leno and Torreira (although he's not performing as he was). That should be time enough to make a noticeable difference, even if it's not huge.

Organisation, discipline, application and spirit can all be improved by managerial change, even if the inherent quality of the players can't. It's ultimately about producing a team that's greater than the sum of its part....something Wenger wasn't doing and, I'm afraid, neither is Emery. I have some sympathy for Augie's position, but while improving on last season's points total ought to point to something, I really don't think it does, when pitched against performances and especially the latest disasters. At the business end of the season, when it was in our hands to qualify for top 4 and those around us were dropping points, that's when a manager earns his money. I don't care who's in the squad, there's no excuse for the abject last four league performances (we deserved to lose to the 10 men of Watford).

We all know that any team can have an off day, but we're looking at a trend, at the wrong time of the season. Also, as Sid says, that unbeaten run in the Autumn was hardly convincing. It was seat of the pants stuff and in half of those games, we could have been 3 down before we scored. You can't keep relying on luck to mask poor performances and that luck has recently run out. When a new manager comes in, it's not always about results, points and league position, it's about seeing some onfield progress, some indication that things are improving and that there's room for optimism. Unfortunately. it just seems, more and more, as though Wenger never left.

As g88ner says, Dick's team selections, formations and substitutions are now all over the gaff and indicate a manager that has no idea, after a full season, of what his settled side should look like. Added to this, as I've said before, his faith in Xhaka as his key centre mid, kills any faith I might have in his judgement. Xhaka is the worst central midfielder I think I've seen at the Arsenal (I certainly can't think of any worse) and believe me, I've seen my fair share of crap.

I fear that Dick is not an elite club manager and yeah I know, before some smart Alec says it, we're no longer an elite club. Still, I said it last week, before the last two defeats and I'll stand by it....I'll give, Dick until Christmas. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not optimistic that I'll be feeling any better about him come then. Those of us who so desperately wanted Wenger gone, for so many years, must not fall into the trap of lauding somebody, just because he's not Wenger. That makes us no better than the blind faith akb. Questioning Emery does not mean we were wrong about Wenger, it just means we might not have the right replacement.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

There is no question that Emery inherited an inadequate (to put it mildly) squad full of craven pussies but he really should be doing better. If one watched the last 4 games not knowing, you would think Wenger was still in charge. I wanted Emery to do well but his faith in some players raises serious concerns. Mustafi, because of there being nobody else, has to play certain games, but his faith in Xhaka & Iwobi is frightening. Xhaka is one of the worst players we have ever had and Iwobi runs around like a headless chicken with no end product. All hat & no cattle. I heard Emery explaining, like he was talking to a child, to a reporter all the wonderful things Iwobi brings and how much the other players value him.

That alone, and then you factor in Xhaka, makes me think Emery might be the wrong guy. How can a managers judgement be so poor??

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

There is no question that Emery inherited an inadequate (to put it mildly) squad full of craven pussies but he really should be doing better. If one watched the last 4 games not knowing, you would think Wenger was still in charge. I wanted Emery to do well but his faith in some players raises serious concerns. Mustafi, because of there being nobody else, has to play certain games, but his faith in Xhaka & Iwobi is frightening. Xhaka is one of the worst players we have ever had and Iwobi runs around like a headless chicken with no end product. All hat & no cattle. I heard Emery explaining, like he was talking to a child, to a reporter all the wonderful things Iwobi brings and how much the other players value him.

That alone, and then you factor in Xhaka, makes me think Emery might be the wrong guy. How can a managers judgement be so poor??

augie

Post by augie »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:48 am

Maybe I am hoping against all odds, but I am hoping that the xhaka story is being forced on him due to injuries and a lack of options - earlier in the season I firmly stated my preference for a torreira - guendozi-maitland niles midfield trio, but one of them has been forced into right back due to injuries, and the other has hit the inevitable mid-season wall for a young player in a physically demanding league (and his performances have gone to shit as a result). Again maybe I am dreaming when I say this, but I am hoping that the return of maitland niles to midfield, and the return of smith rowe to the club, will see a big reduction in appearances for the pedestrian xhaka.

The lard arse iwobi situation is a whole lot more scarier imo - again maybe a sparsity of options might be a factor (the Armenian pussy is no great upgrade :roll: ), but I do wonder if he does actually rate the fat c.unt. I dont really pay much heed to anything dick says publicly on the two of these guys cos he defended mustafi and then promptly dropped him anyway ( :lol: ), but I have this nagging fear that his praise/defence of lard arse is genuine.

Really and truly, if people are honest with themselves, we have a really small squad - yes if you look at the club website you would think that we have a decent size squad, but the reality is that we are very low on players that you could actually use (I have just had a quick look at it and you would be seriously alarmed at the lack of options). Dick (or whoever the manager for next season is) has a real conundrum on his hands in the next transfer window - does he concentrate his meagre funds on all areas of the pitch, or does he concentrate on the weakest area (defence) like pep did in his second season ? My preference would be the latter cos (I want a new centre back and left full) defence should always be the platform for a winning team, and clearly that is a big part of our struggles. The problem with doing that is it greatly reduces the chances of upgrading on the 2 players you have mentioned, simply cos he would have sufficent funds to do so. This will then result in using the c.unts again next season and emery will be absolutely slated by many for his judgement/loyalty to sub-standard shite -

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Disaster

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:48 am

Yes share the same concerns, but would he come out and slate Iwobi or Xaha knowing he needs to move them on?
I hate those 2, plus at least 10 others including the Chav who came to top up his pension, that fucker Mikitarian being an absolute disgrace
Also Xaha in that midfield role, who will he play instead? Guendouzi or the fucking useless Elneny?
He cant be so blind as to not see these players for what they are.....surely??

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I dunno, both of you make interesting points?? The thing is, if Xhaka is fit, he plays, simple as that.....and he very seldom gets subbed. Why is Emery not making full use of Ramsey (before the injury) especially as he is leaving and there is no need to shield or protect him. Hell we aren't even getting money for him. Xhaka always gets the nod before any other midfielder.

Hand on heart, I have no idea what Xhaka is?? Is he meant to be a defensive or attacking midfielder....I think he is "meant" to be the former but I don't really know. I very much doubt if he does either.

And I do think that Dick honestly rates Iwobi....AND... was it not Emery who extended Xhaka's contract???

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Interesting for me was the choice to go and get Suarez in January when we desperately needed to bolster our defence due to injuries, but beyond that he has very rarely played Suarez, so either he doesn't rate him enough to play him ahead of Mhiki/Iwobi, the guy is not fit enough, or there are restricting clauses in the loan contract.

Any of these would make it a really strange loan option and if it were Wenger he'd have been getting the same sort of slating he got for 'old Broken back'.

I agree with Augie though, the priority this summer on such a restricted budget has to be to strengthen the defence with all funds available, we've actually scored a decent amount of goals this season but in comparison to the Chavs and Spuds we've conceded a lot more too so i personally feel we need resolve conceding before we concentrate on scoring more. I'd rather win 1-0 than draw 3-3 or whatever, yes its boring but scoring doesn't mean a great deal if you concede far too many as well.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Forget for one minute the players Emery inherited and even those he may or may not have had a hand in signing!
Instead focus solely on Emery’s performance as a manager, what has he changed for the better? Is there a strategy going forward and has there been any evidence of this in either our playing style or his tactics in games?
The answers to these basic questions are negative!
People comparing Emery to Klopp are missing the point completely, because from day 1 you could see what Klopp was trying to do, ie turn the Victims into an attacking if somewhat cavalier team.
I have no idea what Emery’s plan is and I doubt he has either!
I said very early in his tenure that he looked way out of his depth in the week in week out competitive nature of the plge.
So blame everyone but the man in charge but if you honestly believe that, then this cliwn could still be here in 3 or 4 seasons, making the same blunders week after week.
We got this appointment wrong and should cut our losses asap!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:28 pm
Forget for one minute the players Emery inherited and even those he may or may not have had a hand in signing!
Instead focus solely on Emery’s performance as a manager, what has he changed for the better? Is there a strategy going forward and has there been any evidence of this in either our playing style or his tactics in games?
People comparing Emery to Klopp are missing the point completely, because from day 1 you could see what Klopp was trying to do, ie turn the Victims into an attacking if somewhat cavalier team.
I said very early in his tenure that he looked way out of his depth in the week in week out competitive nature of the plge.
So blame everyone but the man in charge but if you honestly believe that, then this cliwn could still be here in 3 or 4 seasons, making the same blunders week after week.
even if the club have got the appointment wrong (still too early to say I think) then there is no chance of Kroenke getting rid of him, as he would have to give him a pay off. Not going to happen. And of course that is another reason why the really big problem is Kroenke and not the manager. Because there is also zero chance of us appointing anyone better.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:28 pm
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be that easy. Any decent manager would immediately want to rebuild....surely he would enquire as to what his "war chest" would be before he signed up?? Nobody half decent is going to come to us if he has to try mold this rag tag outfit into a competitive unit.......especially if he knows he is not getting any money.

Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Solksjaer, ......... all of them were given or will be given transfer funds. Not us though....Emery, or that level of manager is all Kroenke/ AFC, with it's current tight fistedness, will attract :( :( :(