Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: Unai Emery

Post by rodders999 »

We are sleep walking towards the summer where a massive squad restructuring project is needed and we still don’t have a head of recruitment after Sven got binned off. Fucking joke club.

Absolutely terrified of what Emery and Raul might concoct if it’s left up to them to bring in players after their shit show in January when they spent the whole month running around after Denis Suarez who fucking surpasses Kim Kallstrom as the most banter transfer of all time.

What a fucking farce that was. Just read his season is over through injury after playing a whopping 94 minutes for the club :roll:

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 am
This time last year I was facing an Arsenal future with confidence and a smile on my face again, but that euphoria has well disappeared at this stage :cry: The reasons for that change are multiple, but I will list a few of them for now -

1. It has dawned on me now that no manager will be given time to turn this shitfest around - dick has made (and continues to make) too many mistakes for my liking, and I will agree 100% with people when they say that. However the flip side of that is that I honestly don't know where the fans are setting the bar for acceptable performance in a first year manager, and how realistic our expectations are. I agree that we are entitled to see improvements at this stage under dick, and I agree that there are area's that haven't improved and he has to take a large portion of the blame for that, but likewise I think that there are areas that have improved and that is some small encouragement for me.

2. If I am wrong any the dick critics are right, and we sack dick as a result, then where does that leave us ? We signed 3 players last summer that are/will be core members of dick's team for the next couple of years, but will they suit the next manager ? Dick is trying to rid the players of years of wengers tactics/mentality and that wont be done overnight, but now we would be bringing in a different manager and hitting the reset button all over again and expecting players to pick up new tactics/instructions immediately and that aint happening.

3. Whether people choose to accept it or not, our lack of quality players is a key component in our ongoing struggles, and will continue to be a huge roadblock for any manager coming in. That issue is made a million times worse by the fact that we are giving our manager (whoever that manager will be) a transfer budget which is far, far exceeded by even most of the smallest clubs in the division, but nowadays quality costs money and we wont spend that money. Any manager coming in will have to buy cheap and fill the squad with overpaid players that nobody will buy/can afford cos of the inflated wages le cock has them on, and players who don't want to leave because of the aforementioned wages gravy train they are on, and the long long term contracts there are on. The only funds a new manager will be able to raise is for sales of players like jenks who will bring in chump change, and wont have much impact on our transfer kitty.

4. A lot of fans keep banging the LA rams stadium drum as a reason why the wiggy c.unt has no interest in us, but for me they are way wrong on this - I follow the nfl big time and I know the timeline involved, so I can tell you with absolute certainty that Kroenke's indifference to the performance of our club pre-dates his new stadium by a distance. All we have to do is look at the performances of his other "sports franchises" to know where the man stands on ambitions for success, and we should also look at his total non appearance at our games for confirmation of how he couldn't give two fcuks. Manure fans slate the glazers constantly, but they attend games frequently, and have always supported their managers with huge transfer budgets. This problem will cause 2 further problems for us going forward cos (a) no top manager will sign on for a club of our size being run like 2 bob rovers and (b) without the necessary transfer funds no manager will be able to ensure enough progress to keep the fans on board.

At this stage I don't give a fcuk if we sack dick or who we have as manager, cos we are now mission impossible - we are a former great club with no ambitions from the owners to return to that status, but have a fanbase who expect to return to that level regardless. We are going to become one of those clubs who will sack managers on a regular basis and I honestly don't give a fcuk anymore
Tl/dr so like king j you are really just saying you like dick?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

It seems to me Emery is trying to give some players a final chance to earn a place in the squad for next season. Might be poor timing because we did have a marvellous opportunity to sneak third. I'm still with the manager and I think he's planning for next season league campaign and aiming to win the Europa League. I believe the manager has the players on his side and he will move players out who cannot do what he wants them to do. Despite Lacazette's brilliant form this season, wouldn't be surprised to see him sold.
If Emery was to walk away this season which I don't think he will, I'd be on the phone to Daniel Farke of Norwich who has done a fantastic job getting them promoted.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am
It seems to me Emery is trying to give some players a final chance to earn a place in the squad for next season. Might be poor timing because we did have a marvellous opportunity to sneak third. I'm still with the manager and I think he's planning for next season league campaign and aiming to win the Europa League. I believe the manager has the players on his side and he will move players out who cannot do what he wants them to do. Despite Lacazette's brilliant form this season, wouldn't be surprised to see him sold.
If Emery was to walk away this season which I don't think he will, I'd be on the phone to Daniel Farke of Norwich who has done a fantastic job getting them promoted.

That is the one concern I have for emery going forward cos I am not as convinced that they are playing for him, plus there has been a few instances where players are clearly sulking and that isn't good for morale imo
Personally I would sell auba cos (a) the market might be better so he might fetch more money (b) laca works harder and is a better team player (c) I will NEVER forget that penalty and Wembley and his arrogant attitude ever since - pull your socks up and work harder for the team, cos you are far from world class you arrogant cock :evil:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 pm
We are sleep walking towards the summer where a massive squad restructuring project is needed and we still don’t have a head of recruitment after Sven got binned off. Fucking joke club.

Absolutely terrified of what Emery and Raul might concoct if it’s left up to them to bring in players after their shit show in January when they spent the whole month running around after Denis Suarez who fucking surpasses Kim Kallstrom as the most banter transfer of all time.

What a fucking farce that was. Just read his season is over through injury after playing a whopping 94 minutes for the club :roll:
:lol: Kim Kallstrom, great deal, oops just done me back in laughing :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Who said Kallstrom was a great deal? Not me.

He did manage a goal in the cup semi final shoot out against Wigan mind whereas Denis Suarez couldn't control a 5 yard pass, so yeah, banter.
Last edited by rodders999 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Up until Everton, Dick was doing pretty well for a first season. Some of the football wasn't great and some of the defending was highly suspect but given the shitfest he inherited he was holding it together pretty well.

So wtf has happenend in the last few weeks....fatigue, shit team seletion, lack of squad quality, eye on the ropey cup, lack of desire, NOT playing for the manager...surely this is where he has to show he can handle the situation and inspire the team :rubchin:

Can't see us selling either of the front two, rather we need an intelligent winger to try and help get the best out of them....no, not you Iwobi.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

You can say he overachieved by getting us into pole position for a CL spot after playing all the games against the big guns and having a kind fixture list for the run in but that doesn't mean he shouldn't escape criticism for the complete botch job that's occurred losing 4 out of the last 5 with the game we did manage to win at Watford being an absolute shit stain of a performance.

Five horrific performances on the bounce with no sign of him being able to remedy the situation is a massive concern, especially given the quality of the opposition we faced, and I've no idea where the next decent performance is coming from. If we don't see it in a big way Thursday night then it's season over,

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:45 am
Nos89 wrote:

That is the one concern I have for emery going forward cos I am not as convinced that they are playing for him, plus there has been a few instances where players are clearly sulking and that isn't good for morale imo
Personally I would sell auba cos (a) the market might be better so he might fetch more money (b) laca works harder and is a better team player (c) I will NEVER forget that penalty and Wembley and his arrogant attitude ever since - pull your socks up and work harder for the team, cos you are far from world class you arrogant cock :evil:
Nailed it there Augie......I also feel Lacazette works harder....and, I know they all count but he scores "better" goals. Aubamayang has a lot of tap ins and he also misses some absolute sitters. I think he is way too casual in front of goal and that penalty miss will burn for a long, long time. He hasn't learnt anything from it either, the one against Utd was as bad and could easily have been saved. We need such a massive clearout in the summer but no team can adapt to 10 or so changes overnight, anyway we cannot afford it.

Three top qualiteee players this window, 3 in the next and 3 after that...??? Maybe, hopefully :? :? :?

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

The reaction to recent results and performances comes with any club of our size going through a rough patch but the bigger picture is that at the start of the season I actually thought things might get even worse than last season before they started to get better. So I stick by the fact that by being in the position whereby we are still in the mix for top 4, have a better points haul than last season and are in Europa semi is actually not a bad season compared to expectations.

Am I worries by some of what is going on in the squad, the managers decisions etc. of course, but am trying to not react to each and every instance.

We have by far the weakest squad in the top 6. If someone was picking an XI of the four teams fighting for top 4 you'd probably get one of our strikers in and that's about it (you can make arguments for a few others but none are certainties even with our pro AFC stance).

By far the biggest worry for me is we are going to really struggle to shift the players we want out and have a very small net transfer budget. Even if we decide to bring through a number of youngsters, the likes of Mhiki, Iwobi, Mustafi are still likely to be around the club collecting their wages which will not be good for squad morale.

I've no idea if Emery is a quality manager or not, it would a hugely difficult job for anyone right now and unlike with the last manager he is no where near the biggest issue at the club right now.

augie

Post by augie »

Skooner wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:03 pm
The reaction to recent results and performances comes with any club of our size going through a rough patch but the bigger picture is that at the start of the season I actually thought things might get even worse than last season before they started to get better. So I stick by the fact that by being in the position whereby we are still in the mix for top 4, have a better points haul than last season and are in Europa semi is actually not a bad season compared to expectations.

Am I worries by some of what is going on in the squad, the managers decisions etc. of course, but am trying to not react to each and every instance.

We have by far the weakest squad in the top 6. If someone was picking an XI of the four teams fighting for top 4 you'd probably get one of our strikers in and that's about it (you can make arguments for a few others but none are certainties even with our pro AFC stance).

By far the biggest worry for me is we are going to really struggle to shift the players we want out and have a very small net transfer budget. Even if we decide to bring through a number of youngsters, the likes of Mhiki, Iwobi, Mustafi are still likely to be around the club collecting their wages which will not be good for squad morale.

I've no idea if Emery is a quality manager or not, it would a hugely difficult job for anyone right now and unlike with the last manager he is no where near the biggest issue at the club right now.

A point that most of us agreed on and accepted last season, but seems to be unacceptable right now

The rest of your post is bang on the money imo

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:39 am
You can say he overachieved by getting us into pole position for a CL spot after playing all the games against the big guns and having a kind fixture list for the run in but that doesn't mean he shouldn't escape criticism for the complete botch job that's occurred losing 4 out of the last 5 with the game we did manage to win at Watford being an absolute shit stain of a performance.

Five horrific performances on the bounce with no sign of him being able to remedy the situation is a massive concern, especially given the quality of the opposition we faced, and I've no idea where the next decent performance is coming from. If we don't see it in a big way Thursday night then it's season over,

I said the same thing on a different thread. We could accept one, maybe even two of those performances as “one of those thing”, but this run of abject displays is a serious trend. What’s more, it’s at the sharp end of the season, with our rivals dropping points and a lot at stake....that’s when a top quality manager shows his mettle. Rather than the team stepping up, they’ve fallen apart.

As much as we want to give Dick a fair chance, he’s accountable for these piss poor displays and doesn’t appear to have a clue how to correct it. Yep, the squad quality is crap, but I expect a manager to organise, coach, instil discipline, demand 100% effort and not to repeat the same old mistakes.....sound familiar ??

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

If he wins the Europea League then this season has been a raging success. Its better than the FA Cup and comes with it direct entry into the CL.

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:06 am
If he wins the Europea League then this season has been a raging success. Its better than the FA Cup and comes with it direct entry into the CL.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves buddy - with our defence and our away form, we are far from assured to get to the final yet.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I still maintain that the fella has done a decent job this year despite the away performances of late being very disappointing. Whilst I'm not holding Bellerin or Holding up to be the world's greatest defenders there's no doubt that they were in pretty decent form and we looked more stable with them available. Maitland Niles is not a right back and when he lobbed Jenkinson in there he looked awful. As for Mustafi, words fail me.

I don't think Dick has helped himself in recent weeks with such a heavy rotation of the squad, particularly chopping and changing the backline and the two holding midfielders - we've looked far more vulnerable as a result.

I think he is still trying to work out his best team which isn't surprising in his first season. Klopp, Poch and Pep all suffered some shocking defeats in their first season and two of them still haven't won anything yet.

Emery deserves the whole of next season and the 2 transfer windows to put his stamp on the team. Of course, if he is still fucking about with the backline every week deep into next season and there is no improvement in away performances, then clearly he will come in for criticism and rightly so.

If we went back to the start of the season and said we'd still have a shout of the CL places heading into the final week of the season, and a potential Europa League final, most reasonable fans would have taken that