Valencia (H) Europa League 02/05 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: Valencia (H) Europa League 02/05 @ 20:00

Post by rodders999 »

Champions league front line, Europa league midfield, non league defence.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:02 pm
STAY AND SUPPORT THE TEAM OR GIVE YOUR TICKET TO SOMEONE WHO WILL FFS.
The club wanted this sort of fan in the Emirates, so they will have to put up with them.
The club/Kroenke doesn't care. They've spent all the money they're going to spend on the night. The club wouldn't care if they left mid way through the second half. The modern day Arsenals primary concern is income, getting to the next round or winning a trophy is the best way to do that.

As far as the football goes, I don't think this Valencia side is anything to be terrified by, we heard the same scare stories about Napoli and they posed us few problems over the 2 legs. Valencia are 6th in La Liga......30 odd points off the league leaders. Score first over there and we'll coast it. Dick seems to know what he's doing in Europe......as the commentator said "They should put him in charge of Brexit"

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

xisstential wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:13 am
sk-gtfo wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The club wanted this sort of fan in the Emirates, so they will have to put up with them.
The club/Kroenke doesn't care. They've spent all the money they're going to spend on the night. The club wouldn't care if they left mid way through the second half. The modern day Arsenals primary concern is income, getting to the next round or winning a trophy is the best way to do that.

As far as the football goes, I don't think this Valencia side is anything to be terrified by, we heard the same scare stories about Napoli and they posed us few problems over the 2 legs. Valencia are 6th in La Liga......30 odd points off the league leaders. Score first over there and we'll coast it. Dick seems to know what he's doing in Europe......as the commentator said "They should put him in charge of Brexit"
They do bloody care when it affects their bottom line $$$. They sacked old man Wenger because of too many empty stadium seats, boycotting fans and non-renewed subscriptions. If you want change, dont renew your season ticket and boycott the stadium. Simple.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Wengerballs wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 am
xisstential wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:13 am
sk-gtfo wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

They do bloody care when it affects their bottom line $$$. They sacked old man Wenger because of too many empty stadium seats, boycotting fans and non-renewed subscriptions. If you want change, dont renew your season ticket and boycott the stadium. Simple.
You missed my point...they don't care if you pay to get in, piss away a whole lot of money, then leave mid way through the 2nd half.......they have all the money you intend to spend, they don't give a rats arse if you don't stay to watch the entire game.

augie

Post by augie »

Truth be told they would probably prefer if you didn't watch the game at all and stayed inside drinking and buying food :rubchin:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

atmosphere at the ground is improving though.

last night was my first in the Clock End for a while and it is amazing to see what is being done there.
the club haven't quite got used to it I don't think yet though. they refused to sell alcohol due to "supporters being too excited" :lol:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

augie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:03 am
Truth be told they would probably prefer if you didn't watch the game at all and stayed inside drinking and buying food :rubchin:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:12 am

last night was my first in the Clock End for a while and it is amazing to see what is being done there.
the club haven't quite got used to it I don't think yet though. they refused to sell alcohol due to "supporters being too excited" :lol:
The problem with Clock End (and is not a bad thing by all means) is that it has more parent + child + uncle/auntie than your average North Bank supporter. The atmosphere is stale when we play anything below category B and it doesn't have a vibe football vibe; chants get either used too often or not done when other areas are singing. Tottenham hate chant is preferred over and over again although we are playing Qarabag.

I love that section because it enabled me to follow the team since when I was a teen throughout my childhood and get my Silver. I was offered and accepted Club Level this year, just above Clock End and I can personally say the atmosphere is really improving; last night it was close to (or was probably) as loud as when we were 4 up against the Sucm. Even Club Level myths were broken yesterday and in many games this year.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Really good result last night. Valencia defended like we do on our 3rd goal. Quite what Gaya was doing is anyones guess. Perhaps he thought that he was the doing the keeper a favour. What he did is block off the keeper from doing his job. Thank you very much, Sr. Gaya.

Overall, after the initial sh*t the bed defending, we marshalled them very well. If we stay compact and hit on the break in Valencia, we should keep them under wraps. We created enough chances with them playing relatively conservative to worry them in Valencia.

However, what would be poetic justice would be Chelsea pipping us to top 4 and then us winning in the final against Frankfurt (come on Frankfurt!).

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:

yeah one of them nearly spilled his latte :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:32 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

yeah one of them nearly spilled his latte :D
probably did after the smoke bomb went off :D

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

xisstential wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:19 pm
Valencia aren't nearly as good as we feared. We shat ourselves regarding Napoli and we dealt with them comfortably, home & away. This lot aren't much better........Commentators going on & on & on about the terrors of "next week"....they said the same about Napoli and we soon shut that lot up.
This is spot on. Their early chances were because we can't defend not because they are any good. If we had a team that was half capable of going after a team then there were easily four goals to be had - exactly the same as the Napoli home game. The thing is as you realise that's the case you remember that we are incapable of doing that.

We're clock end and the atmosphere last night was pretty good, however when you watch the game back it's often the case that it doesn't come across on the telly for some reason. Mind you there were plenty of empty seats kicking around last night so you all missed a chance to go if you didn't jump onto the ticket exchange to grab a ticket.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

I've sat all around the ground over the last 10 years, and whilst it did appear more noisy than usual in the clock end last night from the north bank you probably only caught one or two songs that where audible. The problem with the clock end as others have said, is unlike back in the day when the hardcore support used to stand next to the away fans, it is now a mixture of very young fans and families.

In the north bank, which in my opinion is easily the noisiest part of the ground the songs bounce off from all quarters, lower and upper tier. That doesn't really happen in the clock end, especially the upper tier.

On the subject of the final, who honestly decided that Baku would be an appropriate destination. With the potential for possibly 2 London clubs in the final, there is not one direct flight as we speak. It's 10 hours with one transfer and prices start at around £500. We would comfortably take more fans than chelski, but I should imagine there wouldnt be more than 10,000 that bother.

Edit, if this is true its shocking. 7,000 tickets for each finalist and 37,500 through a ballot to any Tom, Dick or Harry

https://www.theticketingbusiness.com/20 ... locations/

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm
I've sat all around the ground over the last 10 years, and whilst it did appear more noisy than usual in the clock end last night from the north bank you probably only caught one or two songs that where audible. The problem with the clock end as others have said, is unlike back in the day when the hardcore support used to stand next to the away fans, it is now a mixture of very young fans and families.

In the north bank, which in my opinion is easily the noisiest part of the ground the songs bounce off from all quarters, lower and upper tier. That doesn't really happen in the clock end, especially the upper tier.

On the subject of the final, who honestly decided that Baku would be an appropriate destination. With the potential for possibly 2 London clubs in the final, there is not one direct flight as we speak. It's 10 hours with one transfer and prices start at around £500. We would comfortably take more fans than chelski, but I should imagine there wouldnt be more than 10,000 that bother.

Edit, if this is true its shocking. 7,000 tickets for each finalist and 37,500 through a ballot to any Tom, Dick or Harry

Yes absolutely sure it does not involve any backhanders, being Baku is an extremely wealthy place (for some)
Ridiculous location...

Long flight and expensive i bet, thought Baku is more like Asia than Europe

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm

Can't agree more on both topics.

If you are putting CL Final in Madrid, you have about another 30 countries within Europe that you can host the EL Final. Baku is wealthy and all good but anyone NOT flying from Istanbul, Moscow or somewhere like Doha is making life a living hell getting there. How can you put a EUROPA LEAGUE Final in a country with less than 2 flights or some days no flights direct from within the EU countries. It's a complete joke.

I booked my tickets last night when we went 3-1 up with Turkish and have to be in IST for something like 4hrs and total time I am spending 'traveling' is roughly 11hrs. Qatar suggested I go Doha (8hrs) + 5hrs layover and 4hrs to Baku...

Put it somewhere sensible like Porto, Berlin, Warsaw, Brussels or Amsterdam and the list goes on. Doesn't have to be category A stadium either.

Now we have a potential problem of having 20k English supporters or so going to Baku in 3 weeks time.