Valencia (H) Europa League 02/05 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: Valencia (H) Europa League 02/05 @ 20:00

Post by Gunner Rob »

if the final is between Chelsea and Arsenal then the obvious thing will be to scrap Baku and move the final to Wembley.
won't happen of course, but it should.

in years to come though and as the Climate Change protests increase this kind of thing will happen.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Fans are the last thing on officials minds ,money and whores first . More money second and whores and even more money are all ueafa
Care about .

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:16 pm
Fans are the last thing on officials minds ,money and whores first . More money second and whores and even more money are all ueafa
Care about .
what happened to Sepp Blatter, did he get jail?

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:42 pm
Herd wrote:
Care about .
I heard he escaped across the Atlantic in a U-boat to South America......

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm
I've sat all around the ground over the last 10 years, and whilst it did appear more noisy than usual in the clock end last night from the north bank you probably only caught one or two songs that where audible. The problem with the clock end as others have said, is unlike back in the day when the hardcore support used to stand next to the away fans, it is now a mixture of very young fans and families.

In the north bank, which in my opinion is easily the noisiest part of the ground the songs bounce off from all quarters, lower and upper tier. That doesn't really happen in the clock end, especially the upper tier.

On the subject of the final, who honestly decided that Baku would be an appropriate destination. With the potential for possibly 2 London clubs in the final, there is not one direct flight as we speak. It's 10 hours with one transfer and prices start at around £500. We would comfortably take more fans than chelski, but I should imagine there wouldnt be more than 10,000 that bother.

Edit, if this is true its shocking. 7,000 tickets for each finalist and 37,500 through a ballot to any Tom, Dick or Harry

https://www.theticketingbusiness.com/20 ... locations/
Can't agree more on both topics.

If you are putting CL Final in Madrid, you have about another 30 countries within Europe that you can host the EL Final. Baku is wealthy and all good but anyone NOT flying from Istanbul, Moscow or somewhere like Doha is making life a living hell getting there. How can you put a EUROPA LEAGUE Final in a country with less than 2 flights or some days no flights direct from within the EU countries. It's a complete joke.

I booked my tickets last night when we went 3-1 up with Turkish and have to be in IST for something like 4hrs and total time I am spending 'traveling' is roughly 11hrs. Qatar suggested I go Doha (8hrs) + 5hrs layover and 4hrs to Baku...

Put it somewhere sensible like Porto, Berlin, Warsaw, Brussels or Amsterdam and the list goes on. Doesn't have to be category A stadium either.

Now we have a potential problem of having 20k English supporters or so going to Baku in 3 weeks time.
They could easily wait until the quarter final stage before choosing an appropriate venue from a country with no participants.

Having the final in Baku makes as much sense as having a World Cup in Qatar 💰🤲🏻💰

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm
I've sat all around the ground over the last 10 years, and whilst it did appear more noisy than usual in the clock end last night from the north bank you probably only caught one or two songs that where audible. The problem with the clock end as others have said, is unlike back in the day when the hardcore support used to stand next to the away fans, it is now a mixture of very young fans and families.

In the north bank, which in my opinion is easily the noisiest part of the ground the songs bounce off from all quarters, lower and upper tier. That doesn't really happen in the clock end, especially the upper tier.

On the subject of the final, who honestly decided that Baku would be an appropriate destination. With the potential for possibly 2 London clubs in the final, there is not one direct flight as we speak. It's 10 hours with one transfer and prices start at around £500. We would comfortably take more fans than chelski, but I should imagine there wouldnt be more than 10,000 that bother.

Edit, if this is true its shocking. 7,000 tickets for each finalist and 37,500 through a ballot to any Tom, Dick or Harry

https://www.theticketingbusiness.com/20 ... locations/
Can't agree more on both topics.

If you are putting CL Final in Madrid, you have about another 30 countries within Europe that you can host the EL Final. Baku is wealthy and all good but anyone NOT flying from Istanbul, Moscow or somewhere like Doha is making life a living hell getting there. How can you put a EUROPA LEAGUE Final in a country with less than 2 flights or some days no flights direct from within the EU countries. It's a complete joke.

I booked my tickets last night when we went 3-1 up with Turkish and have to be in IST for something like 4hrs and total time I am spending 'traveling' is roughly 11hrs. Qatar suggested I go Doha (8hrs) + 5hrs layover and 4hrs to Baku...

Put it somewhere sensible like Porto, Berlin, Warsaw, Brussels or Amsterdam and the list goes on. Doesn't have to be category A stadium either.

Now we have a potential problem of having 20k English supporters or so going to Baku in 3 weeks time.
Not sure if you are aware of this, but Sport Options whose owner is a Gooner are planning on offering direct flights to Baku, with accommodation in certain packages. This is if either London club get there. Otherwise as you say the most direct route is via Istanbul. BA, fly there several times a day and the connection could be quite long if you take a cheaper flight.

No doubt the flights will be £1k if we make it. More if Chelski do.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I remember 18 years ago these cúnts were booing and monkey chanting Henry and Vieira and looks like nothing's changed. Total vile scum. Spanish football and society is toxic with racism and it's about time they actually decided to tackle it. Someone should have nicked the *word censored* and lobbed him in a cell overnight or hit him in the face with a bottle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tmorrissyswa ... 2053388290

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... l/48148347

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

robbo10 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:27 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:42 pm
Herd wrote:
Care about .
I heard he escaped across the Atlantic in a U-boat to South America......
:D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:12 am
atmosphere at the ground is improving though.

last night was my first in the Clock End for a while and it is amazing to see what is being done there.
the club haven't quite got used to it I don't think yet though. they refused to sell alcohol due to "supporters being too excited" :lol:
The problem with Clock End (and is not a bad thing by all means) is that it has more parent + child + uncle/auntie than your average North Bank supporter. The atmosphere is stale when we play anything below category B and it doesn't have a vibe football vibe; chants get either used too often or not done when other areas are singing. Tottenham hate chant is preferred over and over again although we are playing Qarabag.

I love that section because it enabled me to follow the team since when I was a teen throughout my childhood and get my Silver. I was offered and accepted Club Level this year, just above Clock End and I can personally say the atmosphere is really improving; last night it was close to (or was probably) as loud as when we were 4 up against the Sucm. Even Club Level myths were broken yesterday and in many games this year.
Always thought the Emirates was badly designed with that huge split between lower and upper tiers, should have had a solid bank of supporters like the old Northbank

Herd

Post by Herd »

Nearly all Spanish clubs are racist Barca,real Madrid . The only ones I've found who weren't were from the Basque region . I do think that the race thing is getting blown up out of all proportion. Danny Rose sounding off the other day was typical. Having never mentioned it before he has a non specific rant about how much he spends on a night out and how he can't wait to retire.
The problem is that groups like kick it out need racism to exist to justify their funding and existence so it's no surprise that they find some under every rock especially since they have been criticized for sitting on their hands for 20 year's. Racism isn't much of a problem in English football certainly fanwise but if events of the last few months are to go by you would think are stuck in a apartheid time warp.The real racism in English football as in English society comes more from the media and the Police.

John F

Post by John F »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 pm
I remember 18 years ago these cúnts were booing and monkey chanting Henry and Vieira and looks like nothing's changed. Total vile scum. Spanish football and society is toxic with racism and it's about time they actually decided to tackle it. Someone should have nicked the *word censored* and lobbed him in a cell overnight or hit him in the face with a bottle.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tmorrissyswa ... 2053388290

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... l/48148347
Interesting comments put on after the Twitter link referring to the stewards doing nothing.If it had been Arsenal fans they would of been chucked out.The Valencia fans posting were ashamed of them as well.

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:27 am
Nearly all Spanish clubs are racist Barca,real Madrid . The only ones I've found who weren't were from the Basque region . I do think that the race thing is getting blown up out of all proportion. Danny Rose sounding off the other day was typical. Having never mentioned it before he has a non specific rant about how much he spends on a night out and how he can't wait to retire.
The problem is that groups like kick it out need racism to exist to justify their funding and existence so it's no surprise that they find some under every rock especially since they have been criticized for sitting on their hands for 20 year's. Racism isn't much of a problem in English football certainly fanwise but if events of the last few months are to go by you would think are stuck in a apartheid time warp.The real racism in English football as in English society comes more from the media and the Police.

Personally I think that they more hype the racism issue has got recently, the more it has encouraged the racists/braindead to act in this unacceptable manner - I'm not black so I don't claim to know how it feels to be racially abused, and maybe it has been going on a lot more than I realised, but I feel right now that the media and black footballers are giving these morons a platform by giving them the attention they seek.
Without wishing to open up a can of worms here, I also think that the politics in the world today has encouraged racists to step out of the shadows and behave as they see fit - regardless of the original well intentioned ideas of the Brexit crowd, the reality is that it is now portrayed as a anti-foreigners movement that every red neck in the uk is getting behind. Likewise in America, every red neck w.nker has crawled out from under their stones and are preparing themselves for a war against any non 100% yank, and trump is happy to fuel their agenda. France has been a racist hotbed for years due to the massive influx of people coming in from Africa without documentation, and the behaviour of the vast majority of those people has made certain parts of france an everyday war zone.

I don't know a quick answer to racism. I don't feel giving the issue as much attention as it is getting in the media is working, and I actually believe that it is having the opposite effect. I know that I would go ballistic if my club was going to be punished with a points deduction or ground closure because of some knob throwing racist abuse at a match, but I don't know whether it would be possible (or advisable) to expect fans to police each other

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Absolutely, whole industry built around it....just bring out another set of badges and a new slogan...there you go job done :D

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:24 am
Herd wrote:

Personally I think that they more hype the racism issue has got recently, the more it has encouraged the racists/braindead to act in this unacceptable manner - I'm not black so I don't claim to know how it feels to be racially abused, and maybe it has been going on a lot more than I realised, but I feel right now that the media and black footballers are giving these morons a platform by giving them the attention they seek.
Without wishing to open up a can of worms here, I also think that the politics in the world today has encouraged racists to step out of the shadows and behave as they see fit - regardless of the original well intentioned ideas of the Brexit crowd, the reality is that it is now portrayed as a anti-foreigners movement that every red neck in the uk is getting behind. Likewise in America, every red neck w.nker has crawled out from under their stones and are preparing themselves for a war against any non 100% yank, and trump is happy to fuel their agenda. France has been a racist hotbed for years due to the massive influx of people coming in from Africa without documentation, and the behaviour of the vast majority of those people has made certain parts of france an everyday war zone.

I don't know a quick answer to racism. I don't feel giving the issue as much attention as it is getting in the media is working, and I actually believe that it is having the opposite effect. I know that I would go ballistic if my club was going to be punished with a points deduction or ground closure because of some knob throwing racist abuse at a match, but I don't know whether it would be possible (or advisable) to expect fans to police each other
John Barnes hit the nail on the head, in his reference to racism in this country following the Montenegro away game for England. It's all very well saying it's disgusting that other countries people behave in this way, but you have to sort out your own back yard first. And that stems from education.

It used to be a huge problem in the 70/80s, with many teams fans openly abusing black players. The scousers were amongst the worst culprits until Barnes signed for them. Things have improved immeasurably since then, but to say racism isn't a problem in society anymore let alone in football is wrong.

There have been umpteen occasions over the last few years where Chelsea fans have been pulled up for either abusing black people, or anti-semitic chanting. The last incident in Prague was followed up inside the ground where a Black Chelsea fan was abused because of his colour by his fellow fans. Considering our rivalry with the spuds, I certainly haven't heard a lot of these sorts of chants inside Arsenal for a long time, but they go on in certain pubs for sure. The last time was in the twelve pins a few years ago, when I was with a Jewish mate whose a Gooner. It's frankly embarrassing to hear this sort of shit these days.

The Valencia fans were bang out of order, and I am not surprised any stewards felt the inclination to deal with the incidents themselves. That's what the police are in football grounds for.

nut flush gooner

Redarmy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:05 am
Herd wrote:
Absolutely, whole industry built around it....just bring out another set of badges and a new slogan...there you go job done :D
An industry built around people making racist comments in football grounds? Blimey.