Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: Unai Emery

Post by herbert »

Could not agree more steveO :shock: thats a first :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Dick out, just saying.

He's fuckin well out of his depth in the PL.

Most of the people on here could of won those trophies with psg and all those europa cup wins, well meh.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

If he doesn't win the Europa League now then I would be somewhat surprised if he lasts till Christmas. He's done enough for me to get the entirety of next season to turn things around regardless of what happens in the EL but I can see it becoming really toxic amongst our fan base if some of our early results are shit at the beginning of next season.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm
If he doesn't win the Europa League now then I would be somewhat surprised if he lasts till Christmas. He's done enough for me to get the entirety of next season to turn things around regardless of what happens in the EL but I can see it becoming really toxic amongst our fan base if some of our early results are shit at the beginning of next season.
He really needs big things to happen the next transfer window. The problem is that we are still in Europe (problem??! :D), but we don't have the squad to fight on two fronts. He has to put up with players who aren't cutting the mustard as well. I think that I can count very few players who have had good seasons. Auba (despite his misses), Laca, Leno and really, that is about it. Sokratis has been better more times than not and Koscielny has been decent despite his injury and age. Probably Torreira as well. However - I really don't think that he has a squad which he trusts, so he has no choice, but to rely on substandard players because he has to rotate and other players are probably quite knackered with the schedule they have played recently.

That being said, he has made some errors in his squad selection in some games, but has also tried to rectifiy. Given our sh*te state of affairs, I'd like to see him given another season.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:06 pm
. Whilst I'm not holding Bellerin or Holding up to be the world's greatest defenders there's no doubt that they were in pretty decent form and we looked more stable with them available. Maitland Niles is not a right back and when he lobbed Jenkinson in there he looked awful. As for Mustafi, words fail me.

I don't think Dick has helped himself in recent weeks with such a heavy rotation of the squad, particularly chopping and changing the backline and the two holding midfielders - we've looked far more vulnerable as a result.
This squad never had enough quality or depth to challenge for the top four and the europa too.

Then we lost bellerin, holding and wellbeck for the whole season, and as expected torreira and guendozi ran out of gas and lost a yard of pace.

We would have done better to go out of europe in january like we usually do, if we wanted fourth.

Im disappointed, but not as much as i have been the last two seasons.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm
you don't really get it do you.
there is no way that Emery is going to get sacked because that would mean Kroenke paying him off.
that isn't ever going to happen!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:06 pm
I still maintain that the fella has done a decent job this year despite the away performances of late being very disappointing. Whilst I'm not holding Bellerin or Holding up to be the world's greatest defenders there's no doubt that they were in pretty decent form and we looked more stable with them available. Maitland Niles is not a right back and when he lobbed Jenkinson in there he looked awful. As for Mustafi, words fail me.

I don't think Dick has helped himself in recent weeks with such a heavy rotation of the squad, particularly chopping and changing the backline and the two holding midfielders - we've looked far more vulnerable as a result.

I think he is still trying to work out his best team which isn't surprising in his first season. Klopp, Poch and Pep all suffered some shocking defeats in their first season and two of them still haven't won anything yet.

Emery deserves the whole of next season and the 2 transfer windows to put his stamp on the team. Of course, if he is still fucking about with the backline every week deep into next season and there is no improvement in away performances, then clearly he will come in for criticism and rightly so.

If we went back to the start of the season and said we'd still have a shout of the CL places heading into the final week of the season, and a potential Europa League final, most reasonable fans would have taken that
a voice of sanity amongst the expected kneejerk reactions.

the big picture as Steveo rightly points out is that we are on the brink of our first European final in 13 years.
that is something to really celebrate if it happens.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Either we win the Europea League and the season is a success or we fail to win it and the season is a failure. This run of league results has been shocking.

Despite all this. Emery still gets another go. Any talk of sacking him is madness.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

To be honest, as much as I obviously would like us to win the Europa League, I think another year out of the CL isn't a bad thing for Emery's rebuilding process. If we do win the Europa and qualify for the CL, then this squad will be even more exposed than it currently is and we will get our arses whipped in that competition. The Europa is pub standard - honestly we could afford to play stiffs and lose to the likes of BATE and Rennes, safe in the knowledge that even a half decent attacking performance at home would see them off. We wouldn't get that luxury in the CL and it would place additional pressure on the manager

I can't see what sacking him would achieve right now. We'd go back to the start, trying to seek another 'new identity' and the new guy would only face what anyone does with the wig wearing c.unt as the owner.

I'll say what I said to Sid a few months back - if anyone knows of a manager out there who can reverse a decade of failure, spend 40-50m and run City close to the PL title and compete for the CL, then step forward and name them. This manager inherited zero world class players and an inflated wage bill owing to a decade of mismanagement from the previous goon. We blew the chance to cash in on 60m for Sanchez, lost 13m on Perez, spent 35m on Mustafi, 16m on Chambers.......we could go on forever.

Time will tell of course, but I seriously think that offloading Dick now would set us back even further.....and we're already miles behind the best

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I still like the bloke on balance. He is a bit unpredictable, isn’t scared to make substitutions and drop players. We have put in some excellent performances this year against bigger sides at home - Spurs, United, Liverpool and Chelsea in the league, Napoli in EL which most of here were declaring we would lose comfortably.

The defence is as bad as under Wenger and whilst we have been hampered with constant injuries and no money to spend that just isn’t good enough. The recent run in the league has been awful and without excuse. His compulsion with playing Xhaka and Mustafi is unjustifiable.

Everybody on here was declaring how shit we were and how awful our squad was under Wenger, and how long it would take to even think about rebuilding. Yet less than one season in (after a WC summer and meagre budget) then despite us looking at Europa final and 4-7 points better off people are demanding he goes? Short memories. This isn’t a 75 point squad, nothing like it. Who could we have appointed who would have done radically better?

Ultimately how much patience i have with him is going to depend on who lines up on the first day of next season. If Xhaka and Mustafi are on that pitch, I’ve got a problem with the bloke.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 am
To be honest, as much as I obviously would like us to win the Europa League, I think another year out of the CL isn't a bad thing for Emery's rebuilding process. If we do win the Europa and qualify for the CL, then this squad will be even more exposed than it currently is and we will get our arses whipped in that competition. The Europa is pub standard - honestly we could afford to play stiffs and lose to the likes of BATE and Rennes, safe in the knowledge that even a half decent attacking performance at home would see them off. We wouldn't get that luxury in the CL and it would place additional pressure on the manager

I can't see what sacking him would achieve right now. We'd go back to the start, trying to seek another 'new identity' and the new guy would only face what anyone does with the wig wearing c.unt as the owner.

I'll say what I said to Sid a few months back - if anyone knows of a manager out there who can reverse a decade of failure, spend 40-50m and run City close to the PL title and compete for the CL, then step forward and name them. This manager inherited zero world class players and an inflated wage bill owing to a decade of mismanagement from the previous goon. We blew the chance to cash in on 60m for Sanchez, lost 13m on Perez, spent 35m on Mustafi, 16m on Chambers.......we could go on forever.

Time will tell of course, but I seriously think that offloading Dick now would set us back even further.....and we're already miles behind the best

Nail on the head for me steve o

I have to be honest and say that I really cannot get my head around the calls for dick's sacking/removal :shock: I suspect there are a few calling for his sacking as a way of biting back at those that spent years calling for the senile c.unts removal, but others like sid really surprise me. No doubt we have some issues that dick does not seem to have improved at all, and the team selection against palace is going to fcuk me off for a long time, but I will balance it when a recognition of the shite he has to work with, and the transfer budget of a league 2 team :oops: :oops:

I spent years calling for wengers sacking/shooting /hanging, and during that time I had many people (Gooners and non gooners) responding with crap asking who could do better - look at the squad he had available to him, and then compare it to the shite he left dick to work with, and tell me if the situations are the same. A league 1 manager could have performed better (or at least as good) as the senile old c.unt that we were paying a kings ransom to, but I honestly dont believe pep or any manager in the world could do fcuk all with this shit, and if we do sack dick in the morning, would there be any decent manager queuing up to grab the job ? Wenger not alone sold almost all of our quality players, and destroyed all the young potentially quality prospects, but he also left fcuk all money in the kitty for any incoming manager to fix his mess.

In my opinion demanding a change in the manager is pointless until the club has a better set up behind the scenes and more money to spend in bringing in quality players - we can continue a cycle of changing managers every season (or two), and observe the continual turnover of players as each manager brings in his own, but how that is supposed to help us improve is beyond me :? The club has an option to cut dick at the end of next season, and personally I would prefer if we sit tight and tried to be patient before judging/writing him off until then, but obviously that aint gonna happen

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Nail on the head for me steve o

I have to be honest and say that I really cannot get my head around the calls for dick's sacking/removal :shock: I suspect there are a few calling for his sacking as a way of biting back at those that spent years calling for the senile c.unts removal, but others like sid really surprise me. No doubt we have some issues that dick does not seem to have improved at all, and the team selection against palace is going to fcuk me off for a long time, but I will balance it when a recognition of the shite he has to work with, and the transfer budget of a league 2 team :oops: :oops:

I spent years calling for wengers sacking/shooting /hanging, and during that time I had many people (Gooners and non gooners) responding with crap asking who could do better - look at the squad he had available to him, and then compare it to the shite he left dick to work with, and tell me if the situations are the same. A league 1 manager could have performed better (or at least as good) as the senile old c.unt that we were paying a kings ransom to, but I honestly dont believe pep or any manager in the world could do fcuk all with this shit, and if we do sack dick in the morning, would there be any decent manager queuing up to grab the job ? Wenger not alone sold almost all of our quality players, and destroyed all the young potentially quality prospects, but he also left fcuk all money in the kitty for any incoming manager to fix his mess.

In my opinion demanding a change in the manager is pointless until the club has a better set up behind the scenes and more money to spend in bringing in quality players - we can continue a cycle of changing managers every season (or two), and observe the continual turnover of players as each manager brings in his own, but how that is supposed to help us improve is beyond me :? The club has an option to cut dick at the end of next season, and personally I would prefer if we sit tight and tried to be patient before judging/writing him off until then, but obviously that aint gonna happen
Agreed mate - people seem to forget that in Pep's first season City scraped into 3rd place, and finished 15 points off the champions. They also got knocked out in the round of 16 in the CL and won nothing......and that was with a squad that is 100x better than the wankers Dick has at his disposal

That Summer the City owners allowed him to clear out the entire back line who clearly weren't good enough - Zabaleta, Sagna, Clichy, Kolarov and the keepers all gone. Then he spends an absolute fortune on Ederson, Walker, Mendy, Danilo, Bernardo Silva and the rest is history.

Imagine if Pep came here and was told he had to stick with the current back line and midfield. Reckon he'd be getting 100 points?

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Another reason why they don't want the job. They could've give two shits about the salary when they know they are restricted in more ways than one. IMO, unless the club is doing the best to provide funds, the biggest restriction a manager can have is on transfer window. Even worse, told to sell players and use that fund to buy world class players. Why in the fuck would anyone with a brain cell think the shit players income would get us a world class player. If anything, our entire back line (Albeit Sok) would amount to nothing what a world-class CB is priced at.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

SteveO 35 wrote:

that Manager would be Klopp - we should of binned the ex-manager four years ago and taken him. or Simeone. we never had a chance at Pep - he would always go for the biggest war chest -Barca, Bayern, City etc.

Klopp will be at Liverpool until they win the league again and the CL, then he'll either take the Germany job - which in Germany is the highest achievement or go to RM/Barca.

the spuds are hamstring by the stadium, united are 3-4 years away from challenging and the chavs are up for sale, the law of averages says that the victims will win a title or two in the next 3-4 years so we better get used to it.

at least we are a year ahead of united and the chavs.

success next year for me is a 4th place, another EL win, and a better away form - which as shite as it was, was still better than under the ex-manager.

we are not good enough for the CL full stop. it would be out in January again to Donetsk or someone.