Brighton (H) PL 05/05 @ 16:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: Brighton (H) PL 05/05 @ 16:30

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:16 pm
augie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 am
Btw I am sorry but all this bollox about ramsey tearing up and getting all emotional...….. please fcuking fcuk off :roll:

I commended his attitude and work-rate over the last few months even though his "transfer" was announced, and there is no doubt that we missed him in recent games, but lets be honest here and acknowledge that he is not being forced out the door and is leaving the club by choice, so fcuk off with this tears b.ullshit. Unlike some, I don't just focus on the past 5 months and I recognise the years of woefully inconsistent play and frequent injuries, and yet you still believed that you were worthy of demanding a contract that far exceeded your contribution to that point. If I was a cynic I would suggest that your play in the past few months was a bid to impress your new employers and fans, but obviously I am not a cynic :wink:

I wish you luck and success in the future rambo, but please spare me the false emotion crap

Agree with this. I’ll admit to being biased, because I’ve never rated the bloke. He had a good 3 months a few years back and has managed to look preferable to most of the dross we currently have posing as footballers in our midfield. The parlous state of the Club dulls the senses and makes too many people look back on Ramsey’s career with heavily rose tinted glasses.

His distribution was always piss poor, he rarely tackled and his positional sense defensively was non existent. Everyone runs away with the idea that he was a goal threat....wrong. Just looked at his record. In the last 8 seasons (I discounted the first three out of fairness, because he was a kid and then had the leg break), he’s scored 36 league goals. That’s an average of 4.5 league goals per season and that’s a poor return for a centre mid that doesn’t defend and is best used as a virtual number 10 (which Dick has done).

Someone said he’s been unlucky to be in a poor side....well, he’s a big part of that poor side and take it from me, in a good side (Arsenal ‘98-‘04), he would have been lucky to make the bench.

Let’s see how he gets on at Juve, where it’s all in his favour. Far and away the best side in a very weak league, so he should shine like a star. I suspect that the crowd will be on to him inside 3 months and that he’ll be dropped to the bench. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.

I do admire his attitude this season and that says a lot about his sense of honour. However, don’t delude yourselves that we’re losing a gem, simply because the team is full of deadbeats. He’s bang average at best. Compared to Xhaka, he’s Messi, but compared to Messi, he’s Xhaka.
100%

We have some fickle bastards on here lamenting Rambo leaving as a big deal just because we are currently shit.

Yes he’s had good attitude this year but the said same folks crying crocodile tears were probably posting how shit and I’ll disciplined and wasteful Rambo was over the past umpteen seasons.

He had a good half a season years back and has had his moments this year but ultimately he’s not been good enough and part of our crappiness. He may well shine at juve for a dominant club in a shit league with 0 competitors. But this re writing of history just because we are in a state generally needs to stop.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:44 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:41 pm
it's a hard ask to give up on ST/CL tickets but if a lot more Silver and Red do the empty seats thing, he'll quickly notice.
in the end, it was the empty seats that did for the ex-manager.

i was always opposed to leaving Highbury and remain convinced that in my lifetime we will see crowds of under 30,000 ( back to pre Euro 96 levels) even though the bubble has never burst and TV rights continue to inflate salaries - to the point where Mustafi earns five million a year.

if that does happen, wiggy will be long gone.
I think that fans of most of the top teams are going to get increasingly disillusioned over the next few years if City continue their dominance.
that is when the bubble may well burst.

Clash

Post by Clash »

It really defies belief what an absolute fucking moron Granit Xhaka is!

He just never learns. Quite possibly the thickest football I have ever seen. He must be the oppositions most dangerous player in a lot of our games. Wolves have score at least 2 goals against us this season that were down to him. And there are countless other examples where he has given away goals or chances.

And if it isnt Xhaka then its some other idiot like Mustafi. I can accept the odd mistake but not with this regularity and not when they're just so unnecessary :banghead:

wirsindeinvolk

Post by wirsindeinvolk »

Hello all - long time lurker, first time poster.

I had a lot of stuff to get off my chest yesterday but as a mod had to approve my account I've a) calmed down and b) forgotten most of what I was going to write.

I had one point though which I don't know if anyone can clarify for me... should Chelski win the Europa League and also qualify in 3rd position in the PL... does that not mean that the team in 5th would then be automatically enrolled in the CL qualification play off?

Am I missing something or is my trail of thought correct? Thanks!

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

wirsindeinvolk wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 pm

I had a lot of stuff to get off my chest yesterday but as a mod had to approve my account I've a) calmed down and b) forgotten most of what I was going to write.

I had one point though which I don't know if anyone can clarify for me... should Chelski win the Europa League and also qualify in 3rd position in the PL... does that not mean that the team in 5th would then be automatically enrolled in the CL qualification play off?

Welcome to the forum you lurker you :barscarf:

Unfortunately, the only way we qualify for the Champions League now is for us to earn it ourselves by winning the Europa cup ( I still call it the UEFA cup quite regularly )

However, if we win it the 4th placed team have to go into the very early CL qualifying rounds at the end of July - either Chelsea or tiny totts, so win / win

( just the hard bit of actually winning it to do )

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

StuartL wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 pm
wirsindeinvolk wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Welcome to the forum you lurker you :barscarf:

Unfortunately, the only way we qualify for the Champions League now is for us to earn it ourselves by winning the Europa cup ( I still call it the UEFA cup quite regularly )

However, if we win it the 4th placed team have to go into the very early CL qualifying rounds at the end of July - either Chelsea or tiny totts, so win / win

( just the hard bit of actually winning it to do )
All 5 English teams would automatically qualify for the group stages in this scenario; no one in top 4 qualifies nowadays since UEFA closed up shop for the big boys