ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by SydneyGooner »

I'd spend £100 million on the defence.

Ibrahima Konaté (£50m)
Djené (£20m)
Kieran Tierney (£30m)

Probably the entire summer budget gone but those three would set our defence up for the next ten years.

Whatever money is generated from player sales goes towards getting a winger and possibly a midfielder. Ryan Fraser for £20 million would do. I would also consider getting Rabiot on a free transfer. Maitland-Niles should be played in his preferred midfield position and the likes of Nelson, Smith-Rowe and Bennacer should be brought back and given a chance.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

You want a young striker, we already have Nketiah.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

begeegs wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm

I'd like to see some of the young talent at Arsenal given a crack next year. To be honest, I wish that Nelson and Smith-Rowe were here for this run in because they certainly couldn't have been worse than Iwobi, Miki and Ozil over the past 5 games.
Absolutely, both will be back and part of the rotation i hope, though ESR might benefit from another year in Germany to build up his strength.

Nkiteh i am not convinced by. Not mobile enough as a finisher, and not good enough first touch on lay offs.

Ironically we did have one of each in Giroud and Gnabry. Giroud is the ideal squad player with always a goal in him.

To fit into our system, the striker has to be comfortable swinging out wide and being on the ball .

augie

Post by augie »

I think only the most unrealistic will accept that there is no quick fix to our situation, and therefore we should be patient and integrate the younger players into the team even though we will probably slide further backwards as a result. Again this will give some a reason to demand dick and any subsequent manager be removed for not being good enough ( :roll: ), but we havent got the finances to compete so we need to start using our academy again whether we like it or not, and personally I would rather fail with the likes of smith-rowe and nelson, than to lose with the likes of ozil, xhaka and mikki

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am
but we havent got the finances to compete so we need to start using our academy again whether we like it or not, and personally I would rather fail with the likes of smith-rowe and nelson, than to lose with the likes of ozil, xhaka and mikki
zactly mate. we have to face it - this is Liverpool and City's time to battle for the top spot. both teams have great managers, deep squads that have taken years to build and now deep pockets.

our recovery is going to be gradual - FSG did not let Klopp splash the cash until he proved himself in the League. Our board is going to be the same. And in fact, Klopp had to sell arguably their best two players in Suarez (bitey, not Dennis) and Coutinho, to redevelop the squad by buying Salah from the chavs, along with picking up unkowns like Mane, Otip,Keita etc and pushing up kids like Robertson and TAA.

Dick needs to combine the core we have, get who ever we can for free - Rabiot, Moreno etc , scour South America, Africa, Spain etc and give the kids a chance.

I see David Luiz is free - I've never been confident in him. i'd not be sure he'd be worth the wages tbh.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

If the rumours about Lacazette come to fruition, Callum Wilson is an ideal replacement for him. Almost identical goals and assists, works hard for the team and has pace. Vitally, he's British and given the depleting number of British players we have in the squad we need to fulfil our quota.
I'd take David Luiz on a free, experienced, knows his way around the Premier League and still a top quality ball player, ideal for Emery's style. Next to Holding would be a good partnership.
Etheridge of Cardiff would boost the strength in goal keeping department. Kept more clean sheets than Leno and saved the most pens in the division.
Snatching Tielemans from Monaco, away from Leicester would be a very good move, he's been brilliant in his loan spell and adapted to the league really quickly. Tierney from Celtic seems an obvious choice for LB.
If Sane and Alderweirald are available we should be at the head of the queue for those two.
Still, wouldn't be surprised to Sanchez returns from United. Perfect for Emery's style of play. If Koscielny doesn't like it he should move on.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Still, wouldn't be surprised to Sanchez returns from United. Perfect for Emery's style of play. If Koscielny doesn't like it he should move on.
Alexis would have to take at least a 50% pay cut. people forget how unplayable he was the first season and much of the second - he was also our hardest working player by a mile. sadly tho he realized he was surrounded by a bunch of duffers and an even worse one in charge.

if United would pay half his wages, i'd take him back for a season long loan.

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Alexis would have to take at least a 50% pay cut. people forget how unplayable he was the first season and much of the second - he was also our hardest working player by a mile. sadly tho he realized he was surrounded by a bunch of duffers and an even worse one in charge.

Society, and especially football, is ridiculously selective when it comes to memories - sanchez has been a woeful signing for manure and has been labelled a woeful waste of money/worst transfer ever, but as Gooners we should know better cos we had a few years of his sometimes infuriating displays, but always 100% committed performances for our club, and he was a touch of class in a dire time for us. I'm not saying that we should sign him again or anything, but the man deserves more respect from Arsenal fans regardless of what the rest of the English football world thinks of him. I wouldn't be against taking him back, but I do worry how much damage mentally his time at manure will have done to him

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:19 pm
clockender1 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Society, and especially football, is ridiculously selective when it comes to memories - sanchez has been a woeful signing for manure and has been labelled a woeful waste of money/worst transfer ever, but as Gooners we should know better cos we had a few years of his sometimes infuriating displays, but always 100% committed performances for our club, and he was a touch of class in a dire time for us. I'm not saying that we should sign him again or anything, but the man deserves more respect from Arsenal fans regardless of what the rest of the English football world thinks of him. I wouldn't be against taking him back, but I do worry how much damage mentally his time at manure will have done to him
Mentally he'l either up like Mhiki has done for us, or be like a number of other south american players who possess a strong mental capacity to prove people wrong. I'd say it was the latter. Wenger recently pointed out that the reason he's not been great is that he hasn't got Ozil with him. It'S also distinctly noticeable how ozil's form dropped away when sanchez left, they seemed to operate on the same level. I don't see emery breaking up the most effective part of the team i.e.the front 2 and Ozil. It's who he surrounds them with that will be vital going forward.

SydneyGooner

The Definitive Deadwood List (2019-20)

Post by SydneyGooner »

Thought it would be interesting to see what everybody's opinions are on this. Is there anybody else I've missed?

Already Gone
Aaron Ramsey
Petr Cech
Danny Welbeck
Stephan Lichtsteiner

Must Go
Shkodran Mustafi
Henrikh Mkhitryan
Mesut Ozil
Mohammed El-Neny
Carl Jenkinson

Should Go
Granit Xhaka
Nacho Monreal
Laurent Koscielny
Alex Iwobi
Sead Kolasinac
Calum Chambers
David Ospina

That's 12 players in our squad we have to get rid of on top of the four that are already gone. Surely, as much as we'd like it to happen, it would be impossible to get rid of that many players over one window. Would take at least 3 windows for such a massive clear out.

Out of that lot I'd only keep Koscielny, Kolasinac, Iwobi, Xhaka and possibly Chambers for next season otherwise Emery will have nothing but academy players left.

Jock Gooner

Re: The Definitive Deadwood List (2019-20)

Post by Jock Gooner »

Send your list off to Edu then and we'll see if he really does fancy TD at our place.

augie

Post by augie »

Must Go

Shkodran Mustafi MIGHT happen if we are prepared to sell for peanuts
Henrikh Mkhitryan on £180k per week so no chance
Mesut Ozil on ridiculous wages so no chance
Mohammed El-Neny Probably will go
Carl Jenkinson certain to go, and sadly probably to league 1 or championship :(

Should Go

Granit Xhaka no chance sadly
Nacho Monreal out of contract so real possibility (hopefully)
Laurent Koscielny will probably go back to france at this stage of his career
Alex Iwobi no fcuking chance - fat useless b..astard will be here for years :evil: :evil:
Sead Kolasinac unlikely to go, especially if monreal goes
Calum Chambers possible, but I would keep him as squad player
David Ospina certain to go

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

chambers ??? - that's a bit harsh. he was mustard at Southampton and then played out of position or not at all by the ex-manager. at 24 he should be given another year.

Kolasinac should be given another year too i feel.

augie

Post by augie »

The list of players leaving will be greatly influenced by how many of the younger players are ready to step up and play this season - have to be honest and say that I haven't been following our players on loan in germany, but before he left smith rowe looked good, and nelson's start in germany was very encouraging

Nketieh for me is a different story - I know a lot of people rate him, and tbf they have probably seen a lot more of him than I have, but I have to be honest and say that I don't see a player good enough to play at this level NOW. Maybe if he goes away on loan and gets a bit of experience that might change, but at the mo he isn't good enough imo

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i think they should keep both Kos and Nacho.

both understand The Arsenal Way, both work hard and keep off social media. even as bit part players, they have a role in the dressing room and in the cups.

we have to remember that Dick needs to build a squad competing on two fronts - something we couldn't do this year, and neither could united or the chavs.

we are going to need bit part players and back ups.