Ramsey's emotional farewell

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Ramsey's emotional farewell

Post by Clash »

Good player but not a great player. And not a legend.

And for me, not a legend. A player who came back from an horrific injury, scored winning goals in two different FA Cup finals and who was at the club for 11 years should probably be able to enjoy legend status ... but there is just something missing with Ramsey and the era that he played in that doesn't do it for me. Everyone has their own view of what makes a legend but personally I don't think there will be anymore true Arsenal legends. I hope I'm wrong but I think those days are gone.

Maybe if he had played under a more disciplined manager (or played 10 years earlier with more disciplined teammates), then he would have been a much better player. But in truth he isn't in the same class as the generation that played before him and so probably wouldn't have got into those teams too often.

I hope Ramsey does well at Juventus though. And one more cup final winner against the Chavs would be the perfect way to sign off if he can get himself fit for a possible final.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:55 am
Duck me mate I thought it would be a while till we heard from you now that my lord and master has gone but I see you have doubts about Emery all ready

Get the engines started the banners ready and some bulbs for the light show :lol:
:lol: :lol:
That genuinely made me laugh. Yep, I do have doubts about Emery and I think justifiably so, but I also realise that he deserves time. He needs the whole of next season, although I’m sure that we’ll all be able to make a proper judgement by Christmas. Despite a fucking nightmare owner and an abysmal squad, Dick has to take responsibility, after a full season, for decisions made and not made.

Regarding Ramsey, it’s ultimately about opinions. All the reasons why I’ve never rated him have been listed by me and others in this thread. Had he been leaving the Club 15 years ago, the reaction on here would have been “Aaron who ?”......that many believe that we’re losing a world beater is more a reflection of our current state, than it is on a very average footballer. As I’ve said before, let’s see how he gets on at Juve, where it’s all in his favour.

Augie is bang on about the contract situation. He played hard ball and lost. For once the Club showed some balls and sent a message that a player can’t dictate to them, as they had done under Wenger and his endless contract cock ups.

Others have used the word “legend” :roll: Here’s a few names from my lifetime of supporting the Club : Frank McLintock, George Armstrong, Charlie George, Liam Brady, David O’Leary, Tony Adams (probably all of GG’s back four in fact), Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry.
Think about those names and then think about Aaron Ramsey.

I’m sure that Augie, DB and myself wish the bloke well and good luck in Turin, but I’m crying no tears over his leaving and let’s keep a sense of proportion about his ability. Some won’t agree and as I’ve said, it’s all about opinions and his fans are welcome to theirs.

NB. Augie’s, DB’s and my opinion is the right one. :lol: :wink:

herbert

Post by herbert »

augie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:00 am
herbert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am
Modern sawker fans :lol: I would say that there is nothing modern about wishing a player who has been at the club for 11yrs all the best

that is old skool and goes back to a time before social media when supporters errr supported and didnt fhave the platforms to enlighten us with there punditry and opinions over and over again :banghead: :lol:

I think that was aimed at the suggestion by gp543 (an American) that ramsey is "a legend" - everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but in no sensible world does ramsey come anywhere close to legend status.

I think most of us (me included) wish Rambo the best of luck in the future (we'll see how those feelings stand up when he signs for manure in 2 or 3 years time :roll: ), but many of us feel that the waterworks he showed on sunday is a leeetle bit staged
I heard the contract was withdrawn and he was willing to take half of what he gets at Juve to stay? so maybe he did want to stay? hence the emotion

Go back to the cup winning team of 79 Augie and there all players we remember fondly some are legends despite being average in the league they won the fa cup once :barscarf:

Aaron has been with us since the age of 17 scored 2 cup final winners and won it 3 times and if he had done it in the 70s 80s even early 90s he would have been seen by most if not all of our fan base back then as a legend

Modern football and modern expectations might have changed that but I dont see a problem with anyone who wants to support the players manager and judge them by the same values that they always have

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:18 am
Good player but not a great player. And not a legend.

And for me, not a legend. A player who came back from an horrific injury, scored winning goals in two different FA Cup finals and who was at the club for 11 years should probably be able to enjoy legend status ... but there is just something missing with Ramsey and the era that he played in that doesn't do it for me. Everyone has their own view of what makes a legend but personally I don't think there will be anymore true Arsenal legends. I hope I'm wrong but I think those days are gone.

Maybe if he had played under a more disciplined manager (or played 10 years earlier with more disciplined teammates), then he would have been a much better player. But in truth he isn't in the same class as the generation that played before him and so probably wouldn't have got into those teams too often.

I hope Ramsey does well at Juventus though. And one more cup final winner against the Chavs would be the perfect way to sign off if he can get himself fit for a possible final.

That's a fair assessment I'd say. Under TOF in the years Ramsey was here we were never going to find out what he is capable of because there was no discipline by that time. He is a decent player and he has won silverware so he has done alright but legend......nope.

As for the contract side of things I was of the understanding that the deal was in the region of £200k per week which is too much money for Ramsey given our current wages bill. But when you look at the usual suspects' wages including Mhiki on £180k per week :shock: you can understand why the guy was expecting 200k. Ffs we're paying Kolasinac £120k per week and imo we got badly ripped off with his transfer fee as he's not worth a penny of what we paid for him :wink: the guy is a shit defender.

For Dick to be abe to move on from the Ramsey deal we need to see some changes in midfield next season. The Doozer (20) is getting there and is a real prospect but we need to see Nelson (turns 20 this year) and ESR (19 in the summer) making good progress too. Chuck AMN back into the midfield mix and you can see why Dick let Ramsey go given the future possibilities. I'm all for giving the kids a bit of a go and while Torreira would provide some cover for them unless you have a solid back line that sort of a decision turns into quite a big gamble. Let's face it Dick spent the whole xmas transfer window running around after Denis Suarez and got that wrong. He also thought it ok to play Elniny alongside the doozer at Everton and got that wrong. He persists with Mustafi and Xhaka......just saying.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:42 am
herbert wrote:
Duck me mate I thought it would be a while till we heard from you now that my lord and master has gone but I see you have doubts about Emery all ready

Get the engines started the banners ready and some bulbs for the light show :lol:
That genuinely made me laugh. Yep, I do have doubts about Emery and I think justifiably so, but I also realise that he deserves time. He needs the whole of next season, although I’m sure that we’ll all be able to make a proper judgement by Christmas. Despite a fucking nightmare owner and an abysmal squad, Dick has to take responsibility, after a full season, for decisions made and not made.

Regarding Ramsey, it’s ultimately about opinions. All the reasons why I’ve never rated him have been listed by me and others in this thread. Had he been leaving the Club 15 years ago, the reaction on here would have been “Aaron who ?”......that many believe that we’re losing a world beater is more a reflection of our current state, than it is on a very average footballer. As I’ve said before, let’s see how he gets on at Juve, where it’s all in his favour.

Augie is bang on about the contract situation. He played hard ball and lost. For once the Club showed some balls and sent a message that a player can’t dictate to them, as they had done under Wenger and his endless contract cock ups.

Others have used the word “legend” :roll: Here’s a few names from my lifetime of supporting the Club : Frank McLintock, George Armstrong, Charlie George, Liam Brady, David O’Leary, Tony Adams (probably all of GG’s back four in fact), Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp, Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry.

I’m sure that Augie, DB and myself wish the bloke well and good luck in Turin, but I’m crying no tears over his leaving and let’s keep a sense of proportion about his ability. Some won’t agree and as I’ve said, it’s all about opinions and his fans are welcome to theirs.

Christmas :shock: Lets give him until may next year and if there is no signs of improvement I will donate the money for the bulbs :lol:

Hopefully he can grab the ropey cup before we chase him out of town :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:25 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
herbert wrote:

Christmas :shock: Lets give him until may next year and if there is no signs of improvement I will donate the money for the bulbs :lol:

:lol:
I did actually say that he needs the whole of next season, but my point was that, come Christmas, we'll have a firm idea of his capabilities.

I sincerely hope, like all of us on here do, that Dick goes on to do great things for us, but there's a few things that make me feel uneasy....nothing more than his faith in Granit Xhaka. For that alone, I have severe doubts about his judgement. Mustafi is a different issue, because injuries to defenders have left Dick with no choice but to play him, but Xhaka should be nowhere near the team while there's even a one legged squad member available.

Add to that his team selections, his apparent confusion over his best eleven and his best formation ( I do understand that it's a hell of a job given the pony quality of the squad, but I'd expect him to have reached a decision after a full season) and his questionable decision making....eg. the 3 substitutions on Sunday was a grave error that killed momentum.....and I can't help having reservations.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong, I hope we win the EL and I hope that, come Christmas, I'll be saying that he's moving us in the right direction.

Thanks for the generous offer for the bulbs....will you be able to help with a propeller too ?? :D :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 pm
herbert wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
herbert wrote:

I did actually say that he needs the whole of next season, but my point was that, come Christmas, we'll have a firm idea of his capabilities.

I sincerely hope, like all of us on here do, that Dick goes on to do great things for us, but there's a few things that make me feel uneasy....nothing more than his faith in Granit Xhaka. For that alone, I have severe doubts about his judgement. Mustafi is a different issue, because injuries to defenders have left Dick with no choice but to play him, but Xhaka should be nowhere near the team while there's even a one legged squad member available.

Add to that his team selections, his apparent confusion over his best eleven and his best formation ( I do understand that it's a hell of a job given the pony quality of the squad, but I'd expect him to have reached a decision after a full season) and his questionable decision making....eg. the 3 substitutions on Sunday was a grave error that killed momentum.....and I can't help having reservations.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong, I hope we win the EL and I hope that, come Christmas, I'll be saying that he's moving us in the right direction.

Thanks for the generous offer for the bulbs....will you be able to help with a propeller too ?? :D :wink:

Lets look at things practically here -

1. Bellend gets injured early in the season. His back up (lichsteiner) also gets injured and is out for a while, but is also shown up to be too slow for the tempo of the English game. The next back-ups is jenks who may not be good enough anyway, but his confidence has been torn apart in the last few years and I worry about his future. That leaves dick with zero option other than taking maitland-niles out of the midfield options, and moving him to right full.

2. Our remaining centre midfield options then are ramsey, torreira, guendozi, elninny and xhaka - ramsey has had another season where he has had some injury issues, torreira has hit a post world cup wall and has looked knackered for a while now, the dozi too looks spent since Christmas, and the only other option to xhaka is elninny, and that is a much, much worse selection. I don't like xhaka either and desperately want him sold in the summer (I would happily accept anything around the £15m mark), but I think and hope that his continued selection in the team is more down to necessity than any belief dick has in him.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
herbert wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
herbert wrote:

Lets look at things practically here -

1. Bellend gets injured early in the season. His back up (lichsteiner) also gets injured and is out for a while, but is also shown up to be too slow for the tempo of the English game. The next back-ups is jenks who may not be good enough anyway, but his confidence has been torn apart in the last few years and I worry about his future. That leaves dick with zero option other than taking maitland-niles out of the midfield options, and moving him to right full.

2. Our remaining centre midfield options then are ramsey, torreira, guendozi, elninny and xhaka - ramsey has had another season where he has had some injury issues, torreira has hit a post world cup wall and has looked knackered for a while now, the dozi too looks spent since Christmas, and the only other option to xhaka is elninny, and that is a much, much worse selection. I don't like xhaka either and desperately want him sold in the summer (I would happily accept anything around the £15m mark), but I think and hope that his continued selection in the team is more down to necessity than any belief dick has in him.

Can’t buy this Augie. It seems pretty clear that if Xhaka is fit and available, he’s Dick’s first choice centre mid. That was the case before Torreira and Guendouzi had a dip in form and when they, Ramsey and Elneny (yep, I prefer even him to the catastrophic Xhaka) were all available. Take a look back over the season and you’ll see that it’s always Xhaka and one other and especially in the “big” games. Anyway, even with dips in form, they’re light years ahead of the idiot.

Honestly, Xhaka is that bad, that ANYONE would be preferable in the side....not only does he offer nothing, but he’s a dangerous liability. I can’t believe the bloke plays top level football and I’m serious when I say that he’d struggle badly in the Championship.

He’s Emery’s go to centre mid, rather than being included out of necessity and that’s inexcusable in my book. Let’s see if he plays on Thursday, because he shouldn’t even be allowed to carry the fucking kit bag.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Retro Gunner wrote:
herbert wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
herbert wrote:

:lol: Im looking for a cheap propeller to get to dukin Baku :banghead: if we get there? I will let you know if I have any luck

I cant disagree with any of that and understand your concerns the last 4 games especially were poor and like you said previously a good manager should have been able to have got more points with that run in at the business end of the season than he squeezed out of our lot , one Napoli type away performance and top 4 would have been alive until the last game of the season

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

herbert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:20 am
augie wrote:
herbert wrote:
Modern sawker fans :lol: I would say that there is nothing modern about wishing a player who has been at the club for 11yrs all the best

that is old skool and goes back to a time before social media when supporters errr supported and didnt fhave the platforms to enlighten us with there punditry and opinions over and over again :banghead: :lol:

I think that was aimed at the suggestion by gp543 (an American) that ramsey is "a legend" - everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but in no sensible world does ramsey come anywhere close to legend status.

I think most of us (me included) wish Rambo the best of luck in the future (we'll see how those feelings stand up when he signs for manure in 2 or 3 years time :roll: ), but many of us feel that the waterworks he showed on sunday is a leeetle bit staged
I heard the contract was withdrawn and he was willing to take half of what he gets at Juve to stay? so maybe he did want to stay? hence the emotion

Go back to the cup winning team of 79 Augie and there all players we remember fondly some are legends despite being average in the league they won the fa cup once :barscarf:

Aaron has been with us since the age of 17 scored 2 cup final winners and won it 3 times and if he had done it in the 70s 80s even early 90s he would have been seen by most if not all of our fan base back then as a legend

Modern football and modern expectations might have changed that but I dont see a problem with anyone who wants to support the players manager and judge them by the same values that they always have
Steve Morrow, Andy Linighan, Charlie Nicholas and Alan Sunderland aren't legends, or even greats. They scored Cup Winners. Brady is a legend despite missing a penalty in a European final and never scored a winning goal in a cup final. Funny how it works.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm
herbert wrote:
augie wrote:
herbert wrote:

Steve Morrow, Andy Linighan, Charlie Nicholas and Alan Sunderland aren't legends, or even greats. They scored Cup Winners. Brady is a legend despite missing a penalty in a European final and never scored a winning goal in a cup final. Funny how it works.
Good point 89
Brady become a Legend when he dropped his shoulder and everyone on the terracing went the other way :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

herbert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:33 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm
herbert wrote:
augie wrote:
herbert wrote:

Good point 89
Brady become a Legend when he dropped his shoulder and everyone on the terracing went the other way :lol:
:D :barscarf: :barscarf:

GTG

Post by GTG »

Retro Gunner wrote:
herbert wrote:

Please don't credit the club with showing balls...... one of our more saleable assets is walking away for shit all. Regardless of anyones opinions on him hes worth at least £40m in todays market. As already said he played hardball because the bar was already set with the ridiculous contract handed to Ozil.

As someone else has mentioned if he'd scored those cup final goals in a different era he'd be remembered much more fondly than he is by some. I just think he deserved a bit of respect thats all.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Herd wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:12 am
IL agree with Augie on most things but he was forced out of the club . We gave him an offer and then withdrew it. If that's not forced I don't know what is. After that he just sat back and waited for JJuve
If he had signed the offer on the table, instead of leaving it unsigned, then the club couldn’t withdraw it could they ?

Negotiations are all well and good if you are willing to gamble the other side not ending them short of your expectations.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:58 pm
Herd wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:12 am
IL agree with Augie on most things but he was forced out of the club . We gave him an offer and then withdrew it. If that's not forced I don't know what is. After that he just sat back and waited for JJuve
If he had signed the offer on the table, instead of leaving it unsigned, then the club couldn’t withdraw it could they ?

Negotiations are all well and good if you are willing to gamble the other side not ending them short of your expectations.

Very true - but then again it's not exactly going to be the end of the world for him :lol: