other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 am
So sid what you are saying is that it is better to start shit and have a good run of form near the end, than to put together a brilliant unbeaten run at the start and fall away at the end, regardless of who finishes higher in the table ??
Thats not what Im saying Augie, but what I am saying is he has improved and looks like hes coming to terms with the plge, and im judging that rather than simply finishing position, given they have a far weaker squad than us, ie judging him on progress!
To call our unbeaten run “brilliant” come on Augie, we could have lost half of those games due to first half “no shows” and were it not for our opponents being unprecedently wasteful, good fortune which has deserted us in the second half of the season whilst the first half “no shows “ prevailed thus showing Emery for the poor motivator and tactician he really is.
We aint going to agree on this Augie, but I have no confidence in him whatsoever.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 pm
augie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:36 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:34 pm
was just reading about that African billionaire who pledged to go after arsenal in 2020.

hopefully he sticks to his word

Link ??
It's a report from last July.

clutching at straws I know but you got to hope

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp

I have nothing to add about the travesty that happened last night although I can say that if the worst was to happen I will not be attending a NLD again for a long long time. It's embarrasing enough having to to put up with the chavs giving it the old champions of europe number but no way I'm taking that from the shit up the road.

Just to cheer up anybody who read the earlier post about our 2020 Nigerian saviour, I saw he came out with this more recently - the clues in the link if you can't be bothered to click on it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... won-t-sell

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:12 am
augie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 am
So sid what you are saying is that it is better to start shit and have a good run of form near the end, than to put together a brilliant unbeaten run at the start and fall away at the end, regardless of who finishes higher in the table ??
Thats not what Im saying Augie, but what I am saying is he has improved and looks like hes coming to terms with the plge, and im judging that rather than simply finishing position, given they have a far weaker squad than us, ie judging him on progress!
To call our unbeaten run “brilliant” come on Augie, we could have lost half of those games due to first half “no shows” and were it not for our opponents being unprecedently wasteful, good fortune which has deserted us in the second half of the season whilst the first half “no shows “ prevailed thus showing Emery for the poor motivator and tactician he really is.
We aint going to agree on this Augie, but I have no confidence in him whatsoever.

Sid, just to clarify my position so that there is no misunderstanding, I am not sure that dick is the answer either - what I am saying with 100% conviction, is that our problems (and the focus of our anger) should almost totally placed at the feet of our overpaid superstar w..ankers :roll: Dick inherited a diabolical shambolic squad, a squad devoid of guts and heart, and a less than unified squad and club - he has improved us in some ways (for example we were excellent at wembley v the scum, and played well at manure), but in other ways we have not improved at all. Defensively we are still a shambles, and the lack of heart and guts in the last month has been shocking - I know that it is too simplified to suggest that holding and bellend's return will cure our defensive woes, but it should certainly make some improvement.
My issue is what will happen going forward - if you do get your wish for another change of manager, under the same ownership and the same lack of spending power, I honestly dont see things improving. I go along 100% with the suggestion someone made lately where dick should be given a proper transfer budget this summer, then if we dont improve it can be laid at his door. In the meantime expecting him to succeed with a load of wenger's shit players who have spent years without proper coaching, is futile imo

I would allow him the second year to prove himself

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:53 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:22 am
Fuck. Me. :censored:

It's real. It actually happened twice in 24 hours. Is it the fucking end times or something? I hope so.

My throat hurts from screaming "blow your fucking whistle you fucking cùnt" at the telly last night.

Despite what modern football fan Bob says I will continue to fucking hate the classless filth that are Liverpool FC. And yes I will be cheering them on like a lunatic when they face the scum in the final. I'll dislike and hate Stupid Teeth until the day I die but I hope he destroys the vermin. Not sure why that is so difficult for the "enlightened" hipster modern fan to understand but really don't give a fuck either. These are the same people that think the CL is a great competition. Despite the fact that it is overblown bloated and mostly boring. Despite the fact that two teams that have never won the alleged qualifying comps in their own country are now in the final of the "champions" league. Two teams that last won any kind of league title 28 years and 57 years ago ffs. It's devalued as a competition and a complete joke.

Football is tribal - despite what some modern fans with middle class aspirations think. I hate the scum more than any other club so as one properly enlightened and genuine football fan said above "my enemy's enemy is my friend". At least for those 90 minutes. 8)

My fear though is this final is now for all intents and purposes a PL match between two teams that can be good on their day but equally be ropey as fuck at the drop of a hat. Both are capable of beating the other or losing to the other.

Then you add on the Stupid Teeth factor. A man whose only world record set in football is losing 6 of 7 finals. We cannot overstate this goofy cùnt's ability to bottle the big occasion. I have a terrible terrible feeling the Orthodontic Allergic fucktard is going to set a new world record..... 7 losses in 8 finals.... and that thought is fucking simply unbearable.

:puke:

One thing though. With cheating diving cùnts like Stupid Eyebrows, Son, Rose, Salah, etc on the pitch it's going to be an embarrassing advert for the beautiful game. :roll: :censored:
This "modern football fan" saw his first Arsenal match in March 1966. As a kid of 10 went to every home match the first, great Arsenal double side played, standing on the clock end (and saw most of the away games in that FA cup run). Very rarely missed a home game for 50 years until 2009, when I stopped going, partly because of Wenger but mainly because I couldn't recognise my club. Part of the reason is that it had been socially engineered. Regularly attended away games in my 20s and early 30s, when I could afford to. Helped lead the campaign against David Dein's Bond scheme, and the abolition of terraces in the early 90s. You don't need to give me lectures about football being tribal. But I repeat that anyone who slags off this impressive Liverpool side, suggests they are not worth a place in the final and then 24 hours later starts wanting them to win simply because of who they are playing is a hypocrite, end of.

Perhaps I've grown up, perhaps I just see the world differently. I accept I may have changed my outlook. But I also know I don't regret the years I devoted to following Arsenal as it was. But unless you are King Canute (no clever puns needed) you can't turn back the tide. My advice would be to just chill and find something else to focus on over the next three weeks. Even the EU elections.
Sorry Bob. Was not questioning your loyalty or time served - it was a facetious comment.

I don't accept it is hypocritical to slate a team and then hope they beat the team you hate the most of all teams. For me it is the lesser of two evils. But tbh if people think it is hypocritical they are demonstrating a real lack of knowledge of how the average football fan thinks. :wink:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:53 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:22 am
Fuck. Me. :censored:

It's real. It actually happened twice in 24 hours. Is it the fucking end times or something? I hope so.

My throat hurts from screaming "blow your fucking whistle you fucking cùnt" at the telly last night.

Despite what modern football fan Bob says I will continue to fucking hate the classless filth that are Liverpool FC. And yes I will be cheering them on like a lunatic when they face the scum in the final. I'll dislike and hate Stupid Teeth until the day I die but I hope he destroys the vermin. Not sure why that is so difficult for the "enlightened" hipster modern fan to understand but really don't give a fuck either. These are the same people that think the CL is a great competition. Despite the fact that it is overblown bloated and mostly boring. Despite the fact that two teams that have never won the alleged qualifying comps in their own country are now in the final of the "champions" league. Two teams that last won any kind of league title 28 years and 57 years ago ffs. It's devalued as a competition and a complete joke.

Football is tribal - despite what some modern fans with middle class aspirations think. I hate the scum more than any other club so as one properly enlightened and genuine football fan said above "my enemy's enemy is my friend". At least for those 90 minutes. 8)

My fear though is this final is now for all intents and purposes a PL match between two teams that can be good on their day but equally be ropey as fuck at the drop of a hat. Both are capable of beating the other or losing to the other.

Then you add on the Stupid Teeth factor. A man whose only world record set in football is losing 6 of 7 finals. We cannot overstate this goofy cùnt's ability to bottle the big occasion. I have a terrible terrible feeling the Orthodontic Allergic fucktard is going to set a new world record..... 7 losses in 8 finals.... and that thought is fucking simply unbearable.

:puke:

One thing though. With cheating diving cùnts like Stupid Eyebrows, Son, Rose, Salah, etc on the pitch it's going to be an embarrassing advert for the beautiful game. :roll: :censored:
This "modern football fan" saw his first Arsenal match in March 1966. As a kid of 10 went to every home match the first, great Arsenal double side played, standing on the clock end (and saw most of the away games in that FA cup run). Very rarely missed a home game for 50 years until 2009, when I stopped going, partly because of Wenger but mainly because I couldn't recognise my club. Part of the reason is that it had been socially engineered. Regularly attended away games in my 20s and early 30s, when I could afford to. Helped lead the campaign against David Dein's Bond scheme, and the abolition of terraces in the early 90s. You don't need to give me lectures about football being tribal. But I repeat that anyone who slags off this impressive Liverpool side, suggests they are not worth a place in the final and then 24 hours later starts wanting them to win simply because of who they are playing is a hypocrite, end of.

Perhaps I've grown up, perhaps I just see the world differently. I accept I may have changed my outlook. But I also know I don't regret the years I devoted to following Arsenal as it was. But, like King Canute, (no clever puns needed) you can't turn back the tide. My advice would be to just chill and find something else to focus on over the next three weeks. Even the EU elections.
Cricket world cup and England's preparations will be my distraction. But knowing how sport is going for me at the moment, no doubt the Aussies will do the double on English soil (world cup and Ashes) this summer

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm
Just to cheer up anybody who read the earlier post about our 2020 Nigerian saviour, I saw he came out with this more recently - the clues in the link if you can't be bothered to click on it.

I think he's limited for choice now when he says he might buy another PL club, I mean pretty much all the 'top' clubs are taken by mega-rich owners already, unless he wants to pour money into a smaller club (with biggish support) like Newcastle?, can't really see that happening though.

Anyway I can't see wiggy selling, he's a stubborn c*nt and will want to suck as much life out of Arsenal as possible to be used for his US sports investments, this is truly end of days stuff for Arsenal as a 'serious' football club, I have been saying it for a while, fans need to wake up and start boycotting the club because this c*nt is going nowhere without a concerted effort to force him out.

The one thing that might work in our favour is timing, we may be better falling outside the CL (losing in the EL semi/final) because we're already on course for a £60M loss in the next set of accounts, even with his austerity measures (cutting the wage bill) we will struggle for profit outside the CL.

Also our profile will drop, we have a good deal coming in from Addidas but I think a lot of that will be dependent on CL football, the next deal might not be as good as our profile falls and we are not considered a 'big club', stadium is half empty etc. If Dangote comes in with a good offer at the right time Kroenke might be tempted to cash in before we become a depreciating asset, our value is still high but if we continue our current course I think it will begin to drop before long as we join the midtable 'alsorans'.

You can only live off past glories for so long, teams like Spurs, City and Liverpool will now be eating in to our worldwide fan base, especially potential for new fans must be at an all time low, got to hope things fall into place because if we're stuck with him then we might as well just turn off all the lights and hang a sign around the Emirates saying 'for demolition', unless you can be bothered to watch midtable football for the next 100 years?.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:30 am

So there we have it, weeks of Spuds this and Spuds that shit. I for one will have no problem supporting Liverpool. It can’t happen. Life will be totally and utterly unbearable if this nightmare comes true.
WE HAVE TO.

no other choice but to hope they get humiliated.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:41 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm

I think he's limited for choice now when he says he might buy another PL club, I mean pretty much all the 'top' clubs are taken by mega-rich owners already, unless he wants to pour money into a smaller club (with biggish support) like Newcastle?, can't really see that happening though.

Anyway I can't see wiggy selling, he's a stubborn c*nt and will want to suck as much life out of Arsenal as possible to be used for his US sports investments, this is truly end of days stuff for Arsenal as a 'serious' football club, I have been saying it for a while, fans need to wake up and start boycotting the club because this c*nt is going nowhere without a concerted effort to force him out.

The one thing that might work in our favour is timing, we may be better falling outside the CL (losing in the EL semi/final) because we're already on course for a £60M loss in the next set of accounts, even with his austerity measures (cutting the wage bill) we will struggle for profit outside the CL.

Also our profile will drop, we have a good deal coming in from Addidas but I think a lot of that will be dependent on CL football, the next deal might not be as good as our profile falls and we are not considered a 'big club', stadium is half empty etc. If Dangote comes in with a good offer at the right time Kroenke might be tempted to cash in before we become a depreciating asset, our value is still high but if we continue our current course I think it will begin to drop before long as we join the midtable 'alsorans'.

You can only live off past glories for so long, teams like Spurs, City and Liverpool will now be eating in to our worldwide fan base, especially potential for new fans must be at an all time low, got to hope things fall into place because if we're stuck with him then we might as well just turn off all the lights and hang a sign around the Emirates saying 'for demolition', unless you can be bothered to watch midtable football for the next 100 years?.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Hope, optimism and blind loyalty means I want us to win the ropey cup to qualify for the CL next year but as you say that is counter productive in the long run when it comes to wiggy's wallet. As we know, this years loss wipes out the income from the adidas deal leaving us the emirates £40M to spend in the summer (before the sale of players - we are down to bellend, Laca and the doozer who would command a fee of any worth).

Another year without CL surely means we are likely to repeat another similar trading loss next year (?) which means that one sponsorship deal's income continually has to cover losses rather than buy players. That surely starts a slow downward spiral as the tourists go elsewhere for their entertainment and the losses slowly increase as people lose interest with wiggy's set up. It's one thing to watch mid table football for a few quid on a terrace at Highbury but doing that at the bowl while paying top dollar is perhaps a diifferent proposition. And wiggy can't drop the prices or the losses increase. So short to medium term pain for long time gain then.........come on Valencia :? :lol:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:38 pm

Hope, optimism and blind loyalty means I want us to win the ropey cup to qualify for the CL next year but as you say that is counter productive in the long run when it comes to wiggy's wallet. As we know, this years loss wipes out the income from the adidas deal leaving us the emirates £40M to spend in the summer (before the sale of players - we are down to bellend, Laca and the doozer who would command a fee of any worth).

Another year without CL surely means we are likely to repeat another similar trading loss next year (?) which means that one sponsorship deal's income continually has to cover losses rather than buy players. That surely starts a slow downward spiral as the tourists go elsewhere for their entertainment and the losses slowly increase as people lose interest with wiggy's set up. It's one thing to watch mid table football for a few quid on a terrace at Highbury but doing that at the bowl while paying top dollar is perhaps a diifferent proposition. And wiggy can't drop the prices or the losses increase. So short to medium term pain for long time gain then.........come on Valencia :? :lol:
Exactly, I've had enough of the days of '4th is a trophy' which the club tried to instill in a zombie fan base, where did that get us?, the promised land of Thursday night football in eastern Europe, £60M losses and an owner who doesn't give a sh1t, all in a dumbed down, atmosphereless corporate bowl at silly prices.

Yes lets get 4th again so wiggy is happy because we might scrape a profit again and his 'asset' will retain value, because lets be honest, that is all that he cares about and that is all that it will achieve, unless by some miracle we get the perfect manager who is missed by everybody else, seen by the corporate muppets who run the sh1t show and happens to want to work on a cash converters budget.

Sorry but this has gone beyond 'winning the next match' or 'next season will be better because we're in the CL', bigger picture at play and all that... :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nothing to do with matches this weekend but for anyone who watches anything TA then he was on SoccerAM last week and was pretty good value. He seems to have calmed down a bit and came across really well, was funny and avoided being the mad as a box of frogs TA :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

City to get the result they need to win the league at Brighton, will hopefully give Liverpool that extra desire to actually win a trophy in what has been their best season in recent history.

Watford for the FA Cup so city don't get a clean sweep of all domestic trophies.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

City to win on Sunday and next Saturday. We in on the 28th and Liverpool to win on the 1st.

Not sure why so many are on the City agenda. They've played excellent this season and would be on quadruple if KDB was not injured. Albeit, they spend money what's the hate? - we cuss Sterling more than we do Walker who's played for the Scums.

The way they've played the treble is well deserved. A worse thing is Liverpool to complete a double. Holy fuck, from the drought to two major trophies in one single year. Fuck that.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Rian1 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 pm
City to win on Sunday and next Saturday. We in on the 28th and Liverpool to win on the 1st.

Not sure why so many are on the City agenda. They've played excellent this season and would be on quadruple if KDB was not injured. Albeit, they spend money what's the hate? - we cuss Sterling more than we do Walker who's played for the Scums.

The way they've played the treble is well deserved. A worse thing is Liverpool to complete a double. Holy fuck, from the drought to two major trophies in one single year. Fuck that.
City are the lesser of two evils at the moment.

For me city deserve it too with all the added pressure from the media. Yes they have spent big bucks but thats modern football.

see sky's coverage of liverpool is on main event and half an hout rearlier than city coverage.

is this blantant favortism or clearly knowing there are more liverpool viewers out there?

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:16 am

is this blantant favortism or clearly knowing there are more liverpool viewers out there?
Either but you can be sure all those closet Liverpool fans who've been in hiding since 2005 are all going to come out again if they win the league and/or CL. Glory hunters just like when I was at junior school (they went on to become United in secondary :roll: ).

*showing my age here :oops:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

The wankfest is in full flow at Anfield already. :roll: :roll: :roll:

City in sleepwalking mode at Brighton. Brighton who have been in freefall since about Feb have decided to turn up. No doubt got some confidence from our limp dicked display last week.