Europa League final Baku travel thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Europa League final Baku travel thread.

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Hoping the mods can let us have this thread kept for travel advice & arrangements for Gooners hoping to go to the final. Finding advice in amongst the other threads would be too awkward! :barscarf:

Any advice welcome for independent travellers plus ticket advice & hotels & accommodation. :barscarf: :barscarf:

So far my quick searches suggest via Kiev or Instanbul flights seems to the be cheapest if you book separate or single tickets. Maybe stay a night in Kiev or Instanbul. You could also fly straight to Georgia & get the high speed train to Baku. Any of these options needs planning & you might have to get hotels overnight. You might even be able to get flights to NE Turkey, Kars region get a bus to the border with Georgia & get the High speed train from there?

seat61.com https://www.seat61.com/Caucasus.htmtrain travel via Turkey & Georgia
skyscanner.net European flights

Almunia is a clown

Re: Europa League final Baku travel thread.

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Arsenal travel update https://www.arsenal.com/news/europa-lea ... orter-info

Visa cost for Europa League Final is $23.00 :cussing:

6000 tickets per club. :banghead:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

15 away credits minimum requirement to apply. Flights starting from around £600 with 1 or 2 stops. No direct flights.

Looks like 12 pins in Finsbury Park then, this will be a big ask for many fans. 6000 tickets in a 68000 stadium, I am sure Arsenal have held back some tickets. The original allocation for finalists was 7500.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Good idea for a thread mate. I'll sticky it. But please let's keep this for travel advice only and not player / team comments. We have a match thread for that and I really am not modding the same stuff in two locations.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

https://www.sportoptions.com/Arsenal-UEL-Baku-2019

Fair play to anyone who makes the trip. A European final involving two teams from London and kicking off at 23:00 in central Asia. Utter madness.

I'm sure the venue will be decent but I remember after the 2008 champions league final, UEFA said they would look into the issue of teams from the same country travelling thousands of miles to play a game which could have been staged a lot closer. It seems they haven't done that.
It's simple, wait until the quarter-finalists are known and then announce a venue. This year, it was clear it was going to involve English, Spanish or German teams, so perhaps think about Holland or Belgium or Germany.

nut flush gooner

I've used Sport options before, and have to say I am disappointed with those prices. Especially as Miles the owner is a Gooner. I used them for the UEFA cup final in Copenhagen, and the plane was delayed for 3 hours.

I am not saying that he shouldn't treat this trip like any other in his business, but £1150 for an economy class flight direct is steep. At least with Madrid, you have a multitude of connections that can make travel much cheaper. With Baku, its a flight either via Istanbul or somewhere like Tiblisi, and it will take well over 10 hours.

As we speak the cheapest flight is £600 ish with 2 stops and takes 15+ hours. You also need a visa.

nut flush gooner

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:09 am
https://www.sportoptions.com/Arsenal-UEL-Baku-2019

Fair play to anyone who makes the trip. A European final involving two teams from London and kicking off at 23:00 in central Asia. Utter madness.

I'm sure the venue will be decent but I remember after the 2008 champions league final, UEFA said they would look into the issue of teams from the same country travelling thousands of miles to play a game which could have been staged a lot closer. It seems they haven't done that.
It's simple, wait until the quarter-finalists are known and then announce a venue. This year, it was clear it was going to involve English, Spanish or German teams, so perhaps think about Holland or Belgium or Germany.
23:00 in Baku is 8pm here. So it's purely for TV etc. I guess if you are going for a few days you won't feel the time difference for the match.

Goose

Post by Goose »

Day trip by club / Thomas Cook is £979.00.....
Need to have been allocated a ticket by the club otherwise booking will be cancelled when it is cross checked.......

Paid less than that for a week in Las Vegas for the boxing last week :banghead:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I know he is shit but even so this is ridiculous

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... final.html

if he is unable to get a visa then Arsenal should refuse to play the final in Baku.

Herd

Post by Herd »

If they refuse him a visa then the final should be taken from Baku and switch it to Wembley . It is totally unacceptable for Azerbaijan to refuse him a visa.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Herd wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 am
If they refuse him a visa then the final should be taken from Baku and switch it to Wembley . It is totally unacceptable for Azerbaijan to refuse him a visa.
Agreed, was saying this last night! UEFA cannot (but still will :roll: ) give a final to a country like that.

I really dont see why a venue for a final has to be chosen before a competiton starts! Why cant they do what the FA used to do with FA Cup semi finals and wait to see who's playing before picking the most suitable venue.

There is still some serious corruption going on with organistations like FIFA and UEFA. The only thing they probably get better at is how they cover it up.

Clash

Post by Clash »

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I know it wont happen, but wouldnt it be great if the 4 english clubs boycotted the finals in protest at uefa over the ridiculous scheduling of venues?
If they got support from other top European clubs then the idiots who run uefa would have to back down.
It’s this sort of treatment of clubs and fans that will eventually (along with money of course) lead to a Euro super league run by the top clubs themselves

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:49 am
Good idea for a thread mate. I'll sticky it. But please let's keep this for travel advice only and not player / team comments. We have a match thread for that and I really am not modding the same stuff in two locations.

Lazy bastard.

:lol: :wink:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 am

I am not saying that he shouldn't treat this trip like any other in his business, but £1150 for an economy class flight direct is steep.
to be fair to Mile's, it is a five and a half hour flight into Asia where the charter operator likely has no infrastructure on the ground, unlike flying to to Europe, so they have to pay for all the fueling crews, maintenance inspections, whatever you can think of on top. plus the planes will sit there until the flight back,

for gooners going, i would look to go via Moscow.