Valencia (A) 09/05 20:00 KO

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: Valencia (A) 09/05 20:00 KO

Post by sk-gtfo »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:14 pm
Surely this deal Dick has with Cech can’t apply to the Final ????

He’s going to risk a trophy and the money from a CL campaign on his 2nd choice keeper ! - that beggars belief.

The difference tonight was that mustafi was not on to give an early goal away, just captain flappy.
As I said, Cech will ensure his team wins, just a shame that's them not us.. :banghead:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Whenever we play other English clubs in Europe we lose. Dippers and Manc filth some time late 2000s, Chavscum during the invincibles season (which still pisses me off to this day, could have won it long before the Chavscum and the filth) Am I missing any?

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 pm
The guy who hit the penalty straight down the middle has completely shit the bed :roll:
That penalty kick probably fucked our season up there and then :roll: :?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Doesn't this count as a home tie for Chavski FC as Azerbaijan was part of the USSR, unfair advantage if you ask me :rubchin:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 pm
ffs the doom and gloom is fucking ridiculous here sometimes.

Chelsea are nothing special. Frankfurt had speedy forwards that would of given our defence nightmares.
Agree with all the above. I only saw extra-time (obvs), but Frankfurt looked a really decent side. Confident, fast paced attacking football, and I could easily see them beating us in the final.

Only concern is, as others have mentioned, is that we don't seem to beat English teams in Europe. Chelsea (2004), Liverpool (2008) and Man Utd (2009) instantly spring to mind.

That said, it's nice to finally get one over on Valencia. Those CL eliminations in 2001 and 2003 left a really bad taste. It may have taken 16 years, but we finally got our own back.

Also, this is Emery's fourth Europa final in six years, so I think he has to be a factor in the final. It's not by luck, and he seems to know what he's doing in the comp. I'm keeping the faith :barscarf:

Also, love how Wenger got us to 2 European finals in 22 years, and Emery has got us to 1 European final in 1 year :D

"Be careful what you wish for"

gp543

Post by gp543 »

What a performance. The front two were really unstoppable all night. What a comeback for Koscielny after last year's semi where we were thinking his career might be over.

We've beaten far better Chelsea sides in the last two finals we've played them in. Should be in with a very good chance in Baku.

Here's the side I'd play Sunday:

Cech

Jenko, Lichsteiner Mavropanos Bola

Gilmour Willock Sheaf

Amaechi Nketiah John-Jules

Elneny can come off the bench if required. :lol: :lol:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Finally revenge for 1980, we never forgot those bastards! :barscarf: It was a long time coming, yes I'm a bitter old git! :mrgreen:

Slaughtered them on their own patch, quality performance! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

29 goals for the seaosn for PEA. One more for 30 goals. Only Sanchez, RVP, Adebayor and Henry have done that in the past 20 years.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :barscarf: :barscarf:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

gp543 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:49 pm
What a performance. The front two were really unstoppable all night. What a comeback for Koscielny after last year's semi where we were thinking his career might be over.

We've beaten far better Chelsea sides in the last two finals we've played them in. Should be in with a very good chance in Baku.

Here's the side I'd play Sunday:

Cech

Jenko, Lichsteiner Mavropanos Bola

Gilmour Willock Sheaf

Amaechi Nketiah John-Jules

Elneny can come off the bench if required. :lol: :lol:
He's gotta wrap up the front 2 in cotton wool,I know PEA is kinda still on for the golden boot but we only have that final to go for now,I'd throw the game too,it does actually make you wonder how many of the players had their eyes on the semi (oooer misses) over the last few games because we have been utter dogshit

I'd play Cech in this game too,make it his last game,not the final,how many serious managers would not play their first choice keeper in a final?

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 pm
ffs the doom and gloom is fucking ridiculous here sometimes.

Chelsea are nothing special
. Frankfurt had speedy forwards that would of given our defence nightmares.

My sentiments exactly - we played the chavs early in the season and they were extremely lucky to beat us in their shithole, and we comfortably beat them in the soulless bowl since. They have one world class player (more than we have I agree), but they are a club that is constantly on the verge of imploding - they have a fanbase that hates their current manager, a squad that seem divided and don't support him either, and a team that struggles for goals if hazard is not carrying the team on his back.

Will it be a tough game for us ? Of course it will, but my point is that we have nothing to be afraid of either. Fcuk this bu.llshit about disappointment at playing another English team - it is a European final that carries a huge prize for us should we win, so I don't care who we play or where it is and am only focusing on winning it

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Brilliant performance from their first goal onwards. Thought AMN was exposed and also a bit rash in the early stages. I have recently questioned Aubamayang's work rate but thought last night he eas excellent..We scored four quality goals, but as usual coughed up a few unnecessary chances to them. Delighted with the win and delighted to have a final to look forward to. Takes away from the abject misery of the previous two nights.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

Agreed, cannot understand the negativity. They are very beatable and whilst of course there is a nightmare scenario of losing and then the scum winning, the opposite sees us win a European trophy in the same week they lose a final.

Their defence is dreadful and we've got an excellent strike force. I fancy us to win it.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Great result and performance, and well done PEA for a well deserved hat trick :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Well that was unexpectedly straightforward after a shaky start! Nice to have the game and tie won without any of the drama of the previous two nights horror shows!

A comprehensive aggregate win, none of this away goals shite! Thought we played really well at times and what a great hattrick!

Its great to be in another final and I am looking forward to it. This tortuous season could still have a happy ending if we end up with a trophy and the SCUM end up with nothing!

:barscarf: