Europa League final Baku travel thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: Europa League final Baku travel thread.

Post by nut flush gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:55 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 am

I am not saying that he shouldn't treat this trip like any other in his business, but £1150 for an economy class flight direct is steep.
to be fair to Mile's, it is a five and a half hour flight into Asia where the charter operator likely has no infrastructure on the ground, unlike flying to to Europe, so they have to pay for all the fueling crews, maintenance inspections, whatever you can think of on top. plus the planes will sit there until the flight back,

for gooners going, i would look to go via Moscow.
I kind of think he's just milking it tbh. Look at the business class option, you are paying £1,900 for no lounge access a meal that is the same as you would get in economy class and a flat bed which to be honest isn't any big deal during the day. Same applies with first class.

Then hotels £650pp for two nights in a shared room. Look at airbnb and you can get two nights accomodation in a large apartment near the sea for under £100 per night.

If I could get there for £500, I would go over and take my chances with a ticket if I can't get one through normal channels. But it isn't happening, so 12 pins it is then.

Add onto that, I nearly missed the UEFA cup final in 2000 because of his chartered plane being delayed, it kind of doesn't make me want to part with my dosh.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i don't know how legit it is but viagogo has cat 3 and 4 tickets for $200 or so. about 160 quid.

another way to get to Baku is through Doha - Qatar Airlines hub. my sister is a geophysicist with BP Expo and travels to Baku every other month or so.

or fly to Tehran for three hundred quid, rent a jeep and drive the ten hours to Baku. Tbilisi is seven hours.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

goonersid wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:07 pm
I know it wont happen, but wouldnt it be great if the 4 english clubs boycotted the finals in protest at uefa over the ridiculous scheduling of venues?
If they got support from other top European clubs then the idiots who run uefa would have to back down.
It’s this sort of treatment of clubs and fans that will eventually (along with money of course) lead to a Euro super league run by the top clubs themselves
I am quite prepared for us to boycott the ropey if the scum and victims give up the CL :lol: :lol:

I'm sure the European sides would support us.....right up to the point when UEFA offer the losing semi finalists a final spot - ooh yes please fuck solidarity with the finalists :lol:

I've moved heaven and earth to get to finals in the past but genuinely feel no desire to attend this one which is just a fuck up by UEFA. Best of luck to those who feel the need though.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 am
I know he is shit but even so this is ridiculous

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... final.html

if he is unable to get a visa then Arsenal should refuse to play the final in Baku.
It's a fucking disgrace. The inclusive game huh? My bollocks. Baku should be told to fuck off and the final shifted to Wemberlee.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

if he is unable to get a visa then Arsenal should refuse to play the final in Baku.
It's a fucking disgrace. The inclusive game huh? My bollocks. Baku should be told to fuck off and the final shifted to Wemberlee.
Shame Cech aint Armenian

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Shame Cech aint Armenian
:lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:49 am
Good idea for a thread mate. I'll sticky it. But please let's keep this for travel advice only and not player / team comments. We have a match thread for that and I really am not modding the same stuff in two locations.

Lazy bastard.

:lol: :wink:
:shock:

:banghead:

:box:

But yeah. :lol: :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:08 pm
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Shame Cech aint Armenian
This is bollox in this day and age but it's football so the political classes won't lift a finger to put any pressure on. It just goes to show how 'European' this mickey mouse country really is :rubchin:

Now if Mhiki was a 16 year old climate change activist who wanted to visit Baku to stage a sit down protest in the middle of Baku High Road then there would be a host of the usual suspects screaming and shouting about human rights and being terribly offended.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Hopefully Germany, Switzerland (fat chance of that neutral bastards) and the Czechs will do something to piss Azerbaijan off in the next few weeks :lol:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:24 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Shame Cech aint Armenian
This is bollox in this day and age but it's football so the political classes won't lift a finger to put any pressure on. It just goes to show how 'European' this mickey mouse country really is :rubchin:

Now if Mhiki was a 16 year old climate change activist who wanted to visit Baku to stage a sit down protest in the middle of Baku High Road then there would be a host of the usual suspects screaming and shouting about human rights and being terribly offended.
Excuse my ignorance but what would have happened if,and I imagine it's a fucking big If,an Armenian side had got to the final? Would Baku lose the final then or would UEFA have had refs making shocking decisions to get them knocked out,or would UEFA then step in to avoid a political hoo haa and certain embarrassment,or would Azerbajian relent and allow them in..........

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

robbo10 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Shame Cech aint Armenian

Excuse my ignorance but what would have happened if,and I imagine it's a fucking big If,an Armenian side had got to the final? Would Baku lose the final then or would UEFA have had refs making shocking decisions to get them knocked out,or would UEFA then step in to avoid a political hoo haa and certain embarrassment,or would Azerbajian relent and allow them in..........
You make a very good point but an Armenian side reaching the final :rubchin: As you say a very big if and one that the shite at UEFA probably were prepared to take their chances with. Would be interesting to know what they would do though - probably some small print in the agreement that in the event of that happening the Azerbanjos would let the Armenian side in but UEFA would have to pay back half of the bung they received in the first place.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

The El Cheapo option might be flights to Georgia as Tbilisi is 551km from Baku, sleeper trains @£25 each way. Maybe via Russia as mentioned earlier but their visa charges are well over £100 last time I checked. If you land in a country to change plans do you even need a visa? :rubchin:

Georgia has no visa charge, Azerbaijan is $25 if visiting for Europa League final. The brother went Georgia last year & had a good time so I'm 'gonna give him a ring over the weekend to find out more.

Seems that flights via Istanbul & Kiev are going sky high, maybe the solution to that is to book each flight as singles.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

Shame Cech aint Armenian

You make a very good point but an Armenian side reaching the final :rubchin: As you say a very big if and one that the shite at UEFA probably were prepared to take their chances with. Would be interesting to know what they would do though - probably some small print in the agreement that in the event of that happening the Azerbanjos would let the Armenian side in but UEFA would have to pay back half of the bung they received in the first place.
So what your saying is.....there's corruption within UEFA? :shock: :lol: :lol:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

I did the UEFA ballot back in March , got lucky and scored a single ticket.
Looking at prices and time length to get there, it doesn't feel lucky.
I found a flight for £765 which includes a ridiculous stopover from 4am till 9pm at night the next day.
Flights for a family of 5 to France in August is cost me less than that.
Typical, I get my hands on a finals ticket the year we are in bloody Baku

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:50 pm
The El Cheapo option might be flights to Georgia as Tbilisi is 551km from Baku, sleeper trains @£25 each way. Maybe via Russia as mentioned earlier but their visa charges are well over £100 last time I checked. If you land in a country to change plans do you even need a visa? :rubchin:

Georgia has no visa charge, Azerbaijan is $25 if visiting for Europa League final. The brother went Georgia last year & had a good time so I'm 'gonna give him a ring over the weekend to find out more.

Seems that flights via Istanbul & Kiev are going sky high, maybe the solution to that is to book each flight as singles.
I checked, it seems there are no direct flights from London to Tbilisi although 1 stop is around £3-£400. For the sleeper trains make sure they don't go via Armenia as it would appear the beef between the two countries is real from some traveller youtube vids.

Tehran doesn't appeal to me, options are running out fast.