Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:05 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm
augie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm
At least we have one modern rule bollocks that we can enjoy

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ed-by-fifa

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Nice. 8) :lol:

That horrible little pimped club personifies so much of what is wrong with the modern game.

Maybe we should respect them though - because they have had some good players and a successful manager at one point. :oops: :roll:

Nearly choked when I read that statement earlier :roll: :oops: :oops:
Yup. The mindset of the modern fan augie. :oops: :roll:

I get the feeling most of them are called Josh or Jerome. :lol: :wink:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I don't know if it belongs here but this idea that you should support every English team in Europe, fuck that. I'm Irish so my connection is only to Arsenal anyway but the idea of cheering on the likes of Spurs(or any other side) is beyond sickening. I don't respect any other club in the top 6 for various reasons, and the last thing i want is for one of them to win something. This is some pathetic attempt by modern day wankers to seem sophisticated by being 'above rivalry', when rivalry is what it's all about.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:27 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

That horrible little pimped club personifies so much of what is wrong with the modern game.

Maybe we should respect them though - because they have had some good players and a successful manager at one point. :oops: :roll:

My eldest is called Josh :evil: :evil: We actually christened him Joshua Adam, the Adam part was after the great TA6 8)

I was out playing ball myself last night and watched the second half in the pub afterwards, and when I got home the missus told me that the same Josh (16 years old) sat on the floor crying when that 3rd spurs goal went in, and they weren't tears of joy either - he said that he will wear a victims jersey for the final, but I have told him that is a step too far, and the evidence of that would be there for ever.
I wouldn't mind but none of his buddies are scum fans whilst several of them are victims fans, so if the victims win he will face a lot more shit from them

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:58 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:27 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

My eldest is called Josh :evil: :evil: We actually christened him Joshua Adam, the Adam part was after the great TA6 8)

I was out playing ball myself last night and watched the second half in the pub afterwards, and when I got home the missus told me that the same Josh (16 years old) sat on the floor crying when that 3rd spurs goal went in, and they weren't tears of joy either - he said that he will wear a victims jersey for the final, but I have told him that is a step too far, and the evidence of that would be there for ever.
I wouldn't mind but none of his buddies are scum fans whilst several of them are victims fans, so if the victims win he will face a lot more shit from them
Ooh I withdraw the "Josh" jibe as young Josh sounds like a decent young man. Must get that from his mums side huh? :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BFG4 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:47 am
I don't know if it belongs here but this idea that you should support every English team in Europe, fuck that. I'm Irish so my connection is only to Arsenal anyway but the idea of cheering on the likes of Spurs(or any other side) is beyond sickening. I don't respect any other club in the top 6 for various reasons, and the last thing i want is for one of them to win something. This is some pathetic attempt by modern day wankers to seem sophisticated by being 'above rivalry', when rivalry is what it's all about.
Agreed 100%. And tbh I doubt most proper English club football fans would support another rival and hated club in a final just because they are English. I think it is a media and JCL thing.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

According to the bird on SSN dwight York got sent off yesterday, can't believe he's still playing :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Pundits celebrating goals in studios regardless of who is playing...then justifying it by saying it's because they love football.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

there have been some shocking managerial sackings but in my opinion the fact that Chis Hughton has just been sacked as Brighton manager is right up there!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 am
there have been some shocking managerial sackings but in my opinion the fact that Chis Hughton has just been sacked as Brighton manager is right up there!
He has ?!! :shock: That’s unbelievable !! Ex scum he may be, but I’ve never found it possible to dislike Hughton. Always seems a decent and honest man. Ridiculous decision.

augie

Post by augie »

Disgraceful decision imo - a nice man who is probably too nice cos it makes too easy for dickhead clubs like the geordies and brighton to sack him :roll:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:11 pm
Disgraceful decision imo - a nice man who is probably too nice cos it makes too easy for dickhead clubs like the geordies and brighton to sack him :roll:
Agreed, I like hughton from what I've seen of his interviews and was quite astonished to hear he'd been sacked, where were Brighton hoping to finish in the league ffs, keeping them up was an achievement in itself imo.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Hopefully this little tinpot club will join the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield in fucking off back to the Championship and we can see a few more proper clubs like Villa and Leeds back up.

Basically unless you are the top 6 or one of the few sides that throw about quite serious money outside of that (basically Everton, Leicester and Wolves), you’re in the firing line for relegation. Brighton in particular are a nothing club with a shit squad who won’t offer any investment. He took them from a mid table championship club with little to no pedigree and they’re now in the top flight for the third consecutive season.

I could just about comprehend it if they were in complete free fall and dropped from 8th at Christmas to staying up thanks to the failure of others, but that’s not what we’re talking about. They were always in the mix and finished the season poorly but to be honest did well to stay up.

I imagine they’ll appoint a young Spanish or German manager with some fancy coaching philosophy. Hopefully taking them straight down.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 am
Heard some Brighton fans on radio saying his football was defensive and dour - they stayed up which is about the maximum he could have achieved with them, not sure if an attacking philosophy getting them relegated would have been more popular.

Hey ho.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Unbelievable from Brighton ... but this is the circus of modern football.

It seems you get punished for being relatively successful because that success brings new and unrealistic expectations.

This time last year the Fulham manager was a hero for getting them unexpectedly promoted ... but months later he is sacked. Same story eventually with Wagner at Huddersfield after promotion and then keeping them up ... both teams ended up going down anyway after the sackings :roll:

Wolves will probably sack their manager if they dont repeat their good season again next year. The only club that has bucked this trend is Burnley who stuck with Dyche after being relegated. He got them back up and they've stayed up for a couple of years. Of course its only a matter of time until teams like that do go down.

I wonder if Brighton will end up like Charlton who must really regret sacking Curbishley. Mid table in the PL wasnt good enough for them but then they disappeared without trace.

Clash

Post by Clash »

phpBB [video]

In this day of forced (and false) emotion, where so many revel in being seen to show how much they care, I thought this was a touching tribute from one of our own - Charlie Nicholas about Billy McNeil. No fake tears here.

Not sure this is the right thread but it is a reminder of a time in football when a player and manager actually had a genuine bond between them. I doubt the modern players or managers will ever feel like this about each other.