Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: Unai Emery

Post by sk-gtfo »

augie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:30 pm
I really don't understand how we are supposed to have made a loss of between 40m-60m last season - we spend fcuk all in the transfer market, we sell out tickets for every home game, we probably make millions on merchandise worldwide, plus we rake in serious coin from tv deals, so how the fcuk can we be in a worse position that the shite fart lane scum ? :?
Because our wage bill is still for a top(ish) CL club but we've become a Europa league club with a lot of overpaid dross in the squad, we've bought and sold poorly and our commercial deals are also sub-par although maybe not when considering we're not really much of an asset anyway given we never challenge for the big prizes since Wiggy came along (coincidence that.. :roll: ).

We're not in a worse position than Spuds, other than parasite Stan being around (hmm maybe we are), they will make a profit and even more for this season with their jammy run in the CL but long term they still have a £1BN stadium to pay for, the most annoying thing for me though is we could have heaped serious pressure on them by denying them top 4, we've not only made matters worse for ourselves but we've eased the burden a little on their stretched finances, because we are being run so poory ourselves.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anyway going off topic here so I'll leave it at that :roll:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

A lot of it is down to not being in the CL but mainly mental wages - Matchday income was down a smidgen due to cheaper prices for the ropey cup, broadcasting was down due to the Ropey cup and commercial down as fans spent less - TOF didn't help there probably. Overall about £20M down.

However costs went up considerably, about £70M. Wages up by £40M and we had to throw about £17M at TOF and his entourage to get shot of them. So while we actually made a profit of £55M it all came from transfers while our actual day to do trading is running at a loss as revenue declines and wages go up. Without the transfers we would have made a £50M loss apparently.

This year there isn't the same transfer income so with the same level of ropey cup based income and increased level of wages we see a loss looming.

Hence why TOF making such a fucking mess of transfers and contracts in the last few years is now coming back to bite us in the arse. Ramsey going for nothing isn't clever from a financial perspective, nor Wilshere or getting Mhiki for Sanchez......ffs in what world was an in form Sanchez worth one Mhiki, Sanchez was worth about 10 Mhikis :banghead: Buying Xhaka and Mustafi - a spend of £70M and I wonder whether we'll see £20M back for the pair of them one day :-P Ffs we are paying £30M a year wages now for Ozil, Mhiki and Kolasinac :oops: That's a great investment :banghead:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

It does now seem to me that Emery was solely appointed to improve our displays in European competitions, not necessarily domestic performance. I'll take that if we can win all the trophies missing from list of honours, UEFA/ Europa league, European Super Cup, World Club champions and the CL.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Not sure where Wiggy might come in all this but see Usmanov is in the Top Tier.

The Sunday Times Rich List 2019 (Top 10)

Sri and Gopi Hinduja (Industry and finance) | £22bn
David and Simon Reuben (Property and internet) | £18.7bn
Sir Jim Ratcliffe (Chemicals) | £18.2bn
Sir Len Blavatnik (Investment, music and media) | £14.4bn
Sir James Dyson and family (Household goods and technology) | £12.6bn
Kirsten and Jorn Rausing (Inheritance and investment) | £12.3bn
Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken (Inheritance, brewing and banking) | £12bn
Alisher Usmanov (Mining and investment) | £11.3bn
Roman Abramovich (Oil and industry) | £11.2bn
Mikhail Fridman (Industry) | £10.9bn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48240853

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 am
Not sure where Wiggy might come in all this but see Usmanov is in the Top Tier.

The Sunday Times Rich List 2019 (Top 10)

Sri and Gopi Hinduja (Industry and finance) | £22bn
David and Simon Reuben (Property and internet) | £18.7bn
Sir Jim Ratcliffe (Chemicals) | £18.2bn
Sir Len Blavatnik (Investment, music and media) | £14.4bn
Sir James Dyson and family (Household goods and technology) | £12.6bn
Kirsten and Jorn Rausing (Inheritance and investment) | £12.3bn
Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken (Inheritance, brewing and banking) | £12bn
Alisher Usmanov (Mining and investment) | £11.3bn
Roman Abramovich (Oil and industry) | £11.2bn
Mikhail Fridman (Industry) | £10.9bn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48240853
He used to be floating around #1 and #2 - I think the frustration of dealing with wiggy lost him a few billion. Wiggy would 'only' be top 20 but he isn't 'UK based' so doesn't get on there, I'm sure if there was a Sunday Times Cvnt List he would hold his own quite well though..

:roll:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Well, that's the end of Unai's first season (as far as the league goes), and I'm naturally disappointed that we missed out on top four. Had Aubameyang made an effort with his penalty at Wembley back in March, or if we'd beaten just one of Palace or Brighton at home, we'd have done it.

That said, it's seven points more than last season, and a position higher in the table too. I'll take that, especially when Neville, Keown, Tyler and all the other tossers out there said "Be careful what you wish for", implying that nobody could do a better job than Wenger.

Throw in the European final, and I think it's been a decent season. More than happy to give Emery a second season, and would really be expecting top four next time.

:barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Throw in the European final, and I think it's been a decent season. More than happy to give Emery a second season, and would really be expecting top four next time.

:barscarf:
Yeah, 4th next year and either a strong showing in the CL or another EL final.

Id like to see us put in some good defensive performances against the top two. United are done and the chavs have a two year transfer ban. We should aim to turnover both.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

7 points improvement on last year - not insignificant, particularly when you realistically accept that we would have gotten worse under Wenger rather than better.

You watch the likes of Leicester, Wolves etc and the only real advantage we have is our strikers. Other than that, anybody being honest would accept we are closer to those sides than we are to challenging.

Aubameyang despite his faults has done brilliantly to finish with the Golden Boot in this side. Lacazette has gone from embarrassing nervous mess last season to confident quality handful this year. We ground out more results than we have for a while, and can be relied upon to turn up in big games at home. People belittle Napoli and Valencia, but the former in particular beat Liverpool and were widely predicted on here to beat us with ease - we fucking smashed them. Negatives - we are still powerpuff away from home which we can't afford to continue with and our defence is painful.

Overall, the bloke has done well in my opinion. Generally bought well (Leno excellent, Sokratis and Torreira good, Guendouzi pretty good, only Lichtsteiner disaster) and our team does look generally different to under Wenger. Next season will be a big one, and in particular whether we see muppets like Mustafi and Xhaka lining up on the first day of the season. I would pretty much withdraw my support for him immediately if either of those start - that is how strongly I feel about them.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Be seriously careful about reading too much into the 7 points better of thing, that is partly down to others being shitter than us.

As i said elsewhere GF, GA and GD is nearly identical to last season and therefore we as a team have not moved on much from last season, we scored one more and conceded one less with supposedly a stronger team :rubchin:

If i'm honest i'm underwhelmed with our league season i genuinely hoped to see improvement in the team as a whole and yet after an early optimism it has once again been a season of missed opportunities.

Dick has a massive amount to do this summer on a very tight budget and i'm still not convinced he is capable, he seems to be a good European competition manager but not so great in the leagues where other than the walk in the park French league his league stats arent great.

Anyway each to their own and hopefully he will prove me very wrong next season but in the meantime he can go win us the EL as a start :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

For me we have improved under Dick. The numbers are 7 points better off and one place higher in the league and getting past the Europa semifinal to the actual final.

But it's more than that. Despite our defensive frailties and still dodgy away form we have improved slightly in both of those areas.

Hopefully Dick can bring in a couple of his own players this summer and offload a couple of the Wenger hanger-ons.

Make no mistake it will take a few years to rebuild the shitfest Wenger and the Lizard left behind.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 am
For me we have improved under Dick. The numbers are 7 points better off and one place higher in the league and getting past the Europa semifinal to the actual final.

But it's more than that. Despite our defensive frailties and still dodgy away form we have improved slightly in both of those areas.

Hopefully Dick can bring in a couple of his own players this summer and offload a couple of the Wenger hanger-ons.

Make no mistake it will take a few years to rebuild the shitfest Wenger and the Lizard left behind.

Agreed DB10, but the reality is that he wont get that few years to rebuild - already a LOT of fans are written him off ( :shock: ), and I see signs that the media are beginning to hint at it too. In my mind there is no doubt, that unless he makes massive strides next season, fans will voice their displeasure and the club will then activate the 2 year contract break clause and release him.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Next season will be a big one, and in particular whether we see muppets like Mustafi and Xhaka lining up on the first day of the season. I would pretty much withdraw my support for him immediately if either of those start - that is how strongly I feel about them.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree with this. There was quite a debate on this forum last week between Sid and Augie about the merits of Emery. There was validity to both sides of the argument and while there is definite justification for harbouring reservations about Dick, he deserves next season to really make his mark and clearly show that we’re progressing.

That said, as North Bank says, to start next season with Xhaka and / or Mustafi in the side, would be inexcusable. In Xhaka’s case, it’s been pretty inexcusable this season, because despite injuries, there always been an alternative midfield choice.

We’ll see, but I’d almost guarantee that Xhaka will be lining up in our opening game. He’s Dick’s first choice centre mid. Very, very worrying.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Hypothetical here.

If Allegri were available and wanted to come here how many here would be in favour of sacking Emery to get him?

I'm still very much pro-Emery for next season but you would have to seriously consider it. Small chance that Allegri leaves this summer. More likely to happen in 2020.

augie

Post by augie »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:41 am
Hypothetical here.

If Allegri were available and wanted to come here how many here would be in favour of sacking Emery to get him?

I'm still very much pro-Emery for next season but you would have to seriously consider it. Small chance that Allegri leaves this summer. More likely to happen in 2020.

This time last season I was begging the club to give allegri the job, but I have to be honest and say that right now I would rather stick with dick for another 12 months and then decide if a change is needed. My preference for emery (not dick :wink: ) is not that I believe that he did such an outstanding job so far, but more to do with my believe that he is better suited to our club given our lack of financial power in the transfer market - with our current regime and business practices, we could bring in allegri/pep/valverde/klopp or whoever and they would be destined to fail cos we would be giving them an average squad and fcuk all money to upgrade it, whilst these managers have enjoyed financial dominance everywhere they have had success. Dick managed seville where they werent even in the top 4 spanish clubs when it came to financial power, and yet he consistantly brought them success, so for me he is more suited to 2 bob rovers (us) than allegri

Clash

Post by Clash »

It's been a bit up and down at times but overall I am just about satisfied with how Emery has done.

There were some moments I really enjoyed this season - the 2nd half against Leicester and that outstanding game against the scum at the Emirates where I felt an intensity that I thought the second half of Wenger's era had destroyed forever.

Unfortunately things didnt quite develop from there the way we wanted - in fact in the very next game at OT Rob Holding got injured and we have missed him badly. You can never say for sure what would have happened if it wasnt for that (and to a lesser extent the injuries to Bellerin) but I'm pretty sure we would be closer to 80pts than 70pts ... and that would have got us that 3rd place.

Hope we can end with a trophy. And if that lot up the road finally run out of luck and get the fuck all their CL displays have deserved, then it will have been a very good first season :barscarf: