other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by clockender1 »

Brighton sacked hughton. good.

I've always liked Brighton. great town to visit. they almost beat united in the FA Cup Final too, so I keep an eye on them, especially after losing the Goldstone.

it never sat well with me that they had a spud as a manager.

hopefully they appoint a decent young manager and stay up next year.

Clash

Post by Clash »

I'm a bit late for the Scousers runners up party but I'll definitely drink to that. What a fucking relief.

Of course we wont be spared the best runners up of all time thing ... and it will probably be remember more than Man City winning the title .... but imagine how unbearable it will have been had they actually won the thing!

Anyway, lets hope they focus and put all their efforts into winning their next game, whoever that's against ....

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Very pretentious to declare yourself the best runners up. But then again, its a fact. This Liverpool team are the best team not to win the league. I you knew before the season would finish on 95 points and lose only 1 game all season you would have your victory parade then and their. So when you add Gerrard slip and the Micheal Thomas goal of 89, Liverpool fans would be forgiven for thinking the are cursed when it comes to the league.

Clash

Post by Clash »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 am
Very pretentious to declare yourself the best runners up. But then again, its a fact. This Liverpool team are the best team not to win the league. I you knew before the season would finish on 95 points and lose only 1 game all season you would have your victory parade then and their. So when you add Gerrard slip and the Micheal Thomas goal of 89, Liverpool fans would be forgiven for thinking the are cursed when it comes to the league.
Are they really better than our 1999 and 2003 sides? Or Everton's 1986 team? The Leeds team in 1971?

If you're looking purely at the points tally then yes they have the most ... but the PL is crap at the moment. Much weaker than the leagues have been when the runners up and champions were not getting these frankly embarrassing amount of points. Don't get me wrong, it is still a great achievement to get 97 points .... but when the 4th placed team loses 13 games then what can you say about the rest of the teams?

Not sure about Liverpool being cursed either. Sometimes they were just second best and were again this time round.

And sorry to be pedantic but Gerrard didn't ''slip'' as everyone says. That's being generous because a slip makes it sound unlucky. He failed to control the ball. It was a fuck up, a Gerrard MISTAKE! He slipped afterwards desperately trying to recover. And it remains one of the great football moments of the last decade.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 am
"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are NOTHING"

Bill Shankly
Jeff "prostate cancer" Stelling quoted that on Sunday but then said, because of what Liverpool had achieved, it wasn't true. But of course everything else Shankley said must be taken as gospel. In fact the above quote was probably widely accepted by them until Liverpool came in second. Nauseating indeed.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

We did our bit by losing twice to City and getting a point off the bin dippers, which ultimately cost them :barscarf:

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Villa v Derby in the playoff final; dirty Leeds heartbroken again :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

xisstential wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 am
"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are NOTHING"

Bill Shankly
Jeff "prostate cancer" Stelling quoted that on Sunday but then said, because of what Liverpool had achieved, it wasn't true. But of course everything else Shankley said must be taken as gospel. In fact the above quote was probably widely accepted by them until Liverpool came in second. Nauseating indeed.
Shankly said that before Sky (re)invented football so it is now obsolete.
Last edited by Bradywasking on Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 am
Bollocks. Our 99 team was vastly superior to this victims team.

Also the victims were steeped in luck and cheating referee decisions this season. I've never seen a team get so many dodgy decisions go their way since the height of the Rednose manure days of the 2000's. :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ziegler1988 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 pm
Ohhh! How I Laughed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet another bunch of cuntbagfans who think they have a divine right to be in the prem. Don Revie was a C.U.N.T as were Bremner/Giles/ Lorrimer, et al - All DIRTY BASTARDS and I am so glad they were once more denied the chance to play in the top tier. :barscarf:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Ziegler1988 wrote:
Ohhh! How I Laughed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet another bunch of cuntbagfans who think they have a divine right to be in the prem. Don Revie was a C.U.N.T as were Bremner/Giles/ Lorrimer, et al - All DIRTY BASTARDS and I am so glad they were once more denied the chance to play in the top tier. :barscarf:
Villa are another set of *word censored* that fall into that category so even though the Fat Fwank love in next season would be nauseating, I hope Derby beat them

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Oh and fuck off Dirty Leeds. The last thing the league needs is another shit northern club :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

I like the sound of the now ex Leeds manager ,I cut the hedge of the grandad of one of the Leeds players and he was telling me that the players were made to go out and litter pick the streets for a couple of hours so they could appreciate how hard people have to work to afford a ticket.I would like to see Ozil have a go at the bins although he would have to do a full week to get the money for a ticket to Arsenal and would prove get left behind by the truck.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Ziegler1988 wrote:
i'm a bit worried about that utter wanker Lampard winning promotion though :banghead:

surely Villa must win that ?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:12 pm
Ziegler1988 wrote:
i'm a bit worried about that utter wanker Lampard winning promotion though :banghead:

surely Villa must win that ?
On the upside if Derby got promoted, the call for Lampard to be installed as Chelsea manager would be huge, then sit back and let the fun begin
(Not this season coming obviously, as they have their new saviour in mind already, so the season after that )