Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Jock Gooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:41 am
Hypothetical here.

If Allegri were available and wanted to come here how many here would be in favour of sacking Emery to get him?

I'm still very much pro-Emery for next season but you would have to seriously consider it. Small chance that Allegri leaves this summer. More likely to happen in 2020.
Allegri recently stated that he wanted to stay at Juve but as a hypothetical, I'm pretty sure that if he were available and wanted to come to the Arsenal then after the conversation with Kroenke he would probably change his mind pretty fucking quickly.

Tbh there hasn't been that much difference between a lot of last season and this season but at least we haven't gone backwards. A few points and a league place here or there but nothing of real note. We have found out under Dick that Laca can really do it which TOF completely failed to see and we also know that Auba will score plenty of goals (while also missing a fair few too). Upfront is good and with a decent winger we would be in a really good place.

We have brought in a couple of players in defence / midfield who while positive additions to the side cannot alone drag the exisiting dross upto any kind of a standard. This summer is going to be a big test for Dick as he puts what little money he gets to use and while I worry about where that may actually leave us, the fault for that is going to be at the feet of TOF for pissing away all the money and wiggy for being a clueless cu.nt and letting him do it.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I think that on balance he’s done a good job. Plenty of signs of progress from where we were and a large handful of very strong performances in big games. Fail to see the benefit in sacking him now in terms of why that would be likely to improve us.

That said, I’m not utterly wedded to him as the long-term solution by any stretch. If next season he persists with the likes of Xhaka and Mustafi and we haven’t shown serious signs of improving defensively and on the road, he would be right out there door for me.

I just think that a lot of people paid lip service to how difficult a job it would be to turn around the shit which Wenger left (in terms of quality, organisation and mentality) and particularly in. It’s of the money available and inherited wages issues. Some people seem to think we could reasonably have expected to be about 10 points better off but this just isn’t a team capable of racking up 80 odd points.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:14 pm
I think that on balance he’s done a good job. Plenty of signs of progress from where we were and a large handful of very strong performances in big games. Fail to see the benefit in sacking him now in terms of why that would be likely to improve us.

That said, I’m not utterly wedded to him as the long-term solution by any stretch. If next season he persists with the likes of Xhaka and Mustafi and we haven’t shown serious signs of improving defensively and on the road, he would be right out there door for me.

I just think that a lot of people paid lip service to how difficult a job it would be to turn around the shit which Wenger left (in terms of quality, organisation and mentality) and particularly in. It’s of the money available and inherited wages issues. Some people seem to think we could reasonably have expected to be about 10 points better off but this just isn’t a team capable of racking up 80 odd points.

We have competed better against the other top four contenders
Beat & drew v Utd
Beat & drew v tiny totts
Beat / Lost Chelsea (should have at least drew away )
Drew / Lost v Liverpool
Lost x 2 v City

We have had a few really good games but overall I haven’t been very impressed with us in many matches - far too many we were every bit as turgid as under Wenker - West Ham and Watford away, springs to mind.

Definitely happy to give him next season to make the changes (or at least some of them ) that we can all see are needed

If told at the start of the season we would win the Europa Cup and finish 5th, and were pushing for 3rd & 4th spot I would have been happy and quite amazed given the state of our squad and the long term injuries too.
The problem was the awful 4 / 5 matches where we threw away 3rd place - Palace, Brighton, Wolves, Everton & Leicester

I’d say 7 out of 10 for the season, with an 8 if we win the Europa Cup :barscarf:

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:40 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
Hypothetical here.

If Allegri were available and wanted to come here how many here would be in favour of sacking Emery to get him?

I'm still very much pro-Emery for next season but you would have to seriously consider it. Small chance that Allegri leaves this summer. More likely to happen in 2020.
Allegri recently stated that he wanted to stay at Juve but as a hypothetical, I'm pretty sure that if he were available and wanted to come to the Arsenal then after the conversation with Kroenke he would probably change his mind pretty fucking quickly.

Tbh there hasn't been that much difference between a lot of last season and this season but at least we haven't gone backwards. A few points and a league place here or there but nothing of real note. We have found out under Dick that Laca can really do it which TOF completely failed to see and we also know that Auba will score plenty of goals (while also missing a fair few too). Upfront is good and with a decent winger we would be in a really good place.

We have brought in a couple of players in defence / midfield who while positive additions to the side cannot alone drag the exisiting dross upto any kind of a standard. This summer is going to be a big test for Dick as he puts what little money he gets to use and while I worry about where that may actually leave us, the fault for that is going to be at the feet of TOF for pissing away all the money and wiggy for being a clueless cu.nt and letting him do it.
First bit about Allegri now true! i.e. now available

Overall I am more than happy for Emery to be given more time. But this could be a Rioch/Wenger moment whereby someone better becomes available and a ruthless club would take difficult call and go for the better option. Don't think it will happen myself and it would be harsh on Emery but it's a ruthless business

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Skooner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:
Hypothetical here.

Overall I am more than happy for Emery to be given more time. But this could be a Rioch/Wenger moment whereby someone better becomes available and a ruthless club would take difficult call and go for the better option. Don't think it will happen myself and it would be harsh on Emery but it's a ruthless business
I'm surprised he's leaving now. Thought he would stay one more season and have another crack at the CL with Ronaldo still performing.

augie

Post by augie »

Skooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:
Hypothetical here.

But it's not the same situation is it ? For starters the French cock took over a much better squad (one with a winning mentality too), but also he took over at a time where financial power wasn't huge between the clubs. There is NOT ONE top manager (and allegri is a top manager) who would be willing to take over our club right now when they are told that they will only have 40m-50m to spend. Truth be told, most of them would laugh at us if we made contact with them :oops: :oops: :oops:

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

If Allegri is still interested despite our supposed pathetic transfer budget would you still say no Augie?

Have to say that I'm 50/50 towards giving Emery another season if Allegri was interested in coming here. Allegri was my first choice to replace Wenger and under him we'd play some dire stuff but at least the defence would finally be sorted out. Perhaps he would bring the one nil to the Arsenal days. :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm
If Allegri is still interested despite our supposed pathetic transfer budget would you still say no Augie?

Have to say that I'm 50/50 towards giving Emery another season if Allegri was interested in coming here. Allegri was my first choice to replace Wenger and under him we'd play some dire stuff but at least the defence would finally be sorted out. Perhaps he would bring the one nil to the Arsenal days. :rubchin:

I said the same a few days ago, so although I think that it would be VERY harsh on dick, I would still opt for allegri. My persistant concern is that it doesn't matter who is the manager, cos unless we get significant transfer funds, we are not going to be any higher than we are right now :cry: :cry:
In hindsight having mislintat in place was a more important appointment than any manager we recruited, cos the man has an outstanding history of recruiting cheap but still being successful - tbf though, that success takes time and patience cos it involves buying cheap and selling high for a few years to allow those profits to be re-invested in improving squad depth and quality until that success comes

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Skooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:
Hypothetical here.

I don't think he will come given the state of our transfer war chest but I would be very, very, very tempted to appoint him if he was still interested and yes that would be harsh on Dick. This would be a chance to get hold of a seriously top class manager or potentially to find ourselves in 12 months time thinking 'if only'.

It's not quite the same as Rioch/wenker as we didn't have much of a clue who TOF was at that time, only that Rioch was telling Wrighty to model himself on John McGinlay :roll: and things between the two of them were going badly wrong. I'll hold my hands up that I may well be doing Dick a disservice but personally I would rate our future chances as better with Allegri.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:40 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 pm

I said the same a few days ago, so although I think that it would be VERY harsh on dick, I would still opt for allegri. My persistant concern is that it doesn't matter who is the manager, cos unless we get significant transfer funds, we are not going to be any higher than we are right now :cry: :cry:
In hindsight having mislintat in place was a more important appointment than any manager we recruited, cos the man has an outstanding history of recruiting cheap but still being successful - tbf though, that success takes time and patience cos it involves buying cheap and selling high for a few years to allow those profits to be re-invested in improving squad depth and quality until that success comes
Agree with all of that. Liverpool under Klopp have shown the blueprint to compete.

I don't read too much into this supposed £40 million transfer budget Ornstein is going on about. With or without the CL it really should be closer to £100 million with the Adidas and renogiated Emirates deals coming into effect. Like I've said before that's enough for any ambitious manager to begin the process of shaping a squad to his liking to start challenging in a few years.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

augie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm
Skooner wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:
Hypothetical here.

But it's not the same situation is it ? For starters the French cock took over a much better squad (one with a winning mentality too), but also he took over at a time where financial power wasn't huge between the clubs. There is NOT ONE top manager (and allegri is a top manager) who would be willing to take over our club right now when they are told that they will only have 40m-50m to spend. Truth be told, most of them would laugh at us if we made contact with them :oops: :oops: :oops:
It's not exactly the same of course. My point was that we'd actually improved under Rioch from the season before he took over in terms of league position but the club still took the decision to replace him as a better candidate was available. That's the similarity (and I know there were issues with Rioch and players like Wrighty as well which may have been a factor).

Whether Allegri is willing to come is a different matter entirely. Partly depends on other jobs being available (sounds like Bayern could be, maybe Barca and also couldn't rule out Chelsea). For all of the supposed lack of transfer funds, I think we are in general willing to pay managers well and London is also often a draw. I'd still be surprised if it were to happen, mainly because I don't think replacing Emery is on the agenda anyway right now but it's an interesting conudrum if he was interested

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Agree with all of that. Liverpool under Klopp have shown the blueprint to compete.

I don't read too much into this supposed £40 million transfer budget Ornstein is going on about. With or without the CL it really should be closer to £100 million with the Adidas and renogiated Emirates deals coming into effect. Like I've said before that's enough for any ambitious manager to begin the process of shaping a squad to his liking to start challenging in a few years.

We'll see come the end of the window how 'big' our budget was, we are losing £60M+ in next years accounts so that sucks up all the extra commercial money, also Kroenke now has full control so can take money out without question, does anyone really think a c*nt like that wont do it?, perhaps not right now but as soon as we make any small profit it will be going in his back pocket.

Allegri wouldn't touch us with a barge poll and who can blame him?, coming into the richest league in the world and working for a cheapskate operation, no thanks.

I'd rather trust Ornstein and Kroenke's tightfisted track record than pie in the sky about £100M budgets, we aren't challenging anything in the next few years (decades probably) unless you mean challenging for 4th place?. :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

It would be great if an opening was made for this legend

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-16167013

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:13 pm
It would be great if an opening was made for this legend

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-16167013

Surely that is a No Brainer especially now that cuntslopwenger is gone.

Bergkamp 'knows' talent when he sees it and being a genius himself has the understanding, know how and respected profile for youngsters to listen to and do what he advises.

Fugg I hope he does return to AFC.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »