other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by Jock Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:12 pm
Ziegler1988 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 pm
Villa v Derby in the playoff final; dirty Leeds heartbroken again :lol:
i'm a bit worried about that utter wanker Lampard winning promotion though :banghead:

surely Villa must win that ?
If Villa win though we have to put up with the full kit wanker on the sidelines next season.............not a great choice :?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 am
clockender1 wrote:
Ziegler1988 wrote:
i'm a bit worried about that utter wanker Lampard winning promotion though :banghead:

If Villa win though we have to put up with the full kit wanker on the sidelines next season.............not a great choice :?
On the upside if JT single handedly gets Villa promoted there will be a huge clamour for him to be the next Chelsea manager.
Not this season coming, but next or after Fat Frank has failed then we can sit back and enjoy.

augie

Post by augie »

StuartL wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
Ziegler1988 wrote:

On the upside if JT single handedly gets Villa promoted there will be a huge clamour for him to be the next Chelsea manager.
Not this season coming, but next or after Fat Frank has failed then we can sit back and enjoy.

Is it possible for a chav manager to "fail" though, or what exactly constitutes failure there ? This season sari has been lambasted from pillar to post and has been branded as a failure, but yet the mad b..astard has got them into two cup finals (hopefully they win neither). He has done this with an unbalanced squad who continually undermine every single manager that they have, but what they class as failure most clubs would be happy with. Any new manager will be given funds to strengthen the squad (although not as much as years gone by) when they are allowed buy again, so fat frank or pikey scumbag will have a great chance of winning trophies even if they are not top quality managers. If the Russian crook remains their owner, I would worry that they will do even better with one of those c.unts as manager, cos his relationship with them will mean that they would be the first manager in years that will hold more power there than the players

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
Ziegler1988 wrote:

its a dire situation admittedly. i wanted WBA to go up.

either terry or Lampard will fail spectacularly at the chavs though. both thick as two short planks.

i would think though that Allegri will go there. i can't imagine anywhere else for him - Barca maybe tho ?

Good news elsewhere in Spain - Cazorla called up again by Spain. it would seem it was a poor decision by the ex-manager to let him go too ?

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Hoping City smash Watford today...Would normally hope for a shock in a final but Watford's attitude on and off the pitch during our recent game was too close to the Bolton and Stoke model..

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

So a domestic treble for city and they would have added the champions league to it if Pep hadn’t completely bottled the Wembley leg against the scum.

Welcome to the world of state sponsored, petroleum fuelled, cash driven football.

Our sheikh is richer than yours, it’s edge of the seat stuff :barscarf:

:roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

6 nil in the cup final.....the game has eaten its own arsehole again :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:45 pm
Where does it go from here ?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Fuck knows. To the gutter presumably.

I remember being so excited in the weeks leading up to the cup final. I’d have been down the newsagents every Saturday for Shoot and Match and read up everything about both teams. I loved the buzz and if Arsenal happened to make it I wouldn’t sleep properly all week in the lead up to the game.

Regardless of who was playing I’d watch every second of the coverage. The players walking the grounds of the team hotel in the early morning, the commentators standing out on the perfectly manicured pitch hours before kick off. Then the stadium would begin to fill as we headed towards 3pm (it doesn’t even fucking kick off at that time anymore :roll: ) and the excitement would reach fever pitch. Great days.

And what have we now? Abu Dhabi Inc. winning six fucking nil in a bore fest to complete the treble.

FUCK OFF.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Also, in my day the Double was something special and unique. Now it seems to be achieved every 2 or 3 years

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

I don't know how City fans can celebrate this shit tbh.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Great post Rodders .... although I now hope Man City win the next 10 titles, a few more trebles, plus some CL trophies and absolutely destroy football.

I hope they dominate so much that they kill the interest and ruin everything for Sky and the Premier league. And for all those greedy self-serving fuckers at the top. It’s what the game needs and deserves.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I wanted City to win the title because the alternative was Liverpool, I wanted City to win the Cup Final because of Troy Deeney and Watford's players and supporters brilliant impression of a small club up north when we played them.
But obviously the bigger picture is more sinister, this blanket domination and more to the point the funding of it is destroying football. Again what was the alternative in the season just finished? A media driven campaign to hand the title to Liverpool, which from the outside looked well supported by officials and authorities. A media telling us the fourth placed team that lost thirteen league games were world class. Where do you turn for solutions? The aforementioned media? Goid luck with that. UEFA? They who have no interest in the supporters to the point of sending them to Baku to be ripped off. FIFA ? They who are holding a World Cup in 42 degrees of heat.
No the only ones that can save football are the supporters and they (we) can only do so by turning our back on it. But you and I know we won't because we are Arsenal fans and we will worry about new signings, we will pray that we move on the deadwood in our squad,we will moan about our owners and we will be excited about our new Adidas gear. Unfortunately we are hooked and we know it but worse than that they know it.They being the authorities and their puppet masters in the media.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

During the week whenI was reading about and hearing about Liverpool's fantastic achievement to finish second in the league a thought struck me and the more I have thought about it the more I can actually see it happen.
On the lines of Rugby League I can see a top four Super Cup to decide who are Premier League Champions. The top team play the fourth placed side and the second play third in two legged semi finals with the final at Wembley.. If you think that is ridicoulas then look who is playing in Wembley is the "richest game in football" a week tomorrow.
Two teams not good enough to gain automatic promotion will play in front of a sell out crowd , both will go up to the Royal Box and get medals with the winners getting a trophy. The winners may well celebrate on an open top bus in front of their fans. Will anyone give a damn that it is morally wrong that a league can end this way? That a side finishing seventh can get promoted on penalties? No because the media (Sky) will hype it beyind rational thinking.
We have four teams playing in a competition in Europe which by its very name can only be designed for one club from any country ,The Champions, with the holders thrown in if they are not Champions of their own league.

It's eating itself..

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:10 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Fuck knows. To the gutter presumably.

I remember being so excited in the weeks leading up to the cup final. I’d have been down the newsagents every Saturday for Shoot and Match and read up everything about both teams. I loved the buzz and if Arsenal happened to make it I wouldn’t sleep properly all week in the lead up to the game.

Regardless of who was playing I’d watch every second of the coverage. The players walking the grounds of the team hotel in the early morning, the commentators standing out on the perfectly manicured pitch hours before kick off. Then the stadium would begin to fill as we headed towards 3pm (it doesn’t even fucking kick off at that time anymore :roll: ) and the excitement would reach fever pitch. Great days.

And what have we now? Abu Dhabi Inc. winning six fucking nil in a bore fest to complete the treble.

FUCK OFF.

Prior to tv saturation, the cup final day was the pinnacle of football on tv, and the build up on bbc with teams leaving hotels etc, was absolutely riveting for any football mad young lad. If your team was in the cup final you seen more clips of your team in action that day from the highlights of the previous rounds, than you probably did in 9 months of league action. Now as you say the day has been diminished, but for me this is more about tv saturation than clubs fielding weaker teams - people talk about clubs disrespecting the cup, and about too much emphasis on the top 4 has lessened the value of the cup, and while both points are true, I still think that less football on tv would increase the importance of the cup final to fans and this would in turn make the clubs and sponsors more conscious of it's stature