ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:36 am
£10.5m for Kannemann......tells you all you need to know. ElNanny was cheap too :rubchin:

Mind you, he’ll still be better than Mustafi and half of our other defenders!! :lol:

The thing we all (me included) need to get our head around, is that we have a very limited budget and many holes to fill, so paying that kind of money for a player will be the norm for us. There is no point in me (for example) talking up the Dortmund financial model (buy cheap to sell high to generate bigger transfer funds), if I am then going to dismiss buying a player for £10m as it is beneath us :oops: Reality is that is the transfer level we are going to be operating in and we are gonna have to get used to it. Maybe I would be happier if Mislintat was making these purchases cos he has history of making some excellent cheap signings at Dortmund, plus we signed sokratis, torreira and the dozi for cheap money last summer and they have all turned out all right.
As I said many times previously, our income from player sales this summer will not be great cos the players are shite, so selling to generate funds is a commendable plan/notion, but it wont apply here UNLESS we sell one of our strikers - it isn't that I would want to sell either of our strikers but more that I see it being a necessity unless dick is given proper funds to spend, and there is no point of having 2 quality strikers up one end of the pitch if the defence is leaking goals all over the place at the other end. Right now if I was told that we could sell auba (for £70m-£80m) and replace him with dembele (lyon striker) AND either umtiti (barca centre back) or Tierney (celtic left full), then I would say that would be an excellent piece of business cos our team would be stronger as a result. That is the mindset that served Dortmund so well over the years, but it requires patience from fans cos it isn't an overnight project that's for sure

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 am
TeeCee wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:36 am
£10.5m for Kannemann......tells you all you need to know. ElNanny was cheap too :rubchin:

Mind you, he’ll still be better than Mustafi and half of our other defenders!! :lol:

The thing we all (me included) need to get our head around, is that we have a very limited budget and many holes to fill, so paying that kind of money for a player will be the norm for us. There is no point in me (for example) talking up the Dortmund financial model (buy cheap to sell high to generate bigger transfer funds), if I am then going to dismiss buying a player for £10m as it is beneath us :oops: Reality is that is the transfer level we are going to be operating in and we are gonna have to get used to it. Maybe I would be happier if Mislintat was making these purchases cos he has history of making some excellent cheap signings at Dortmund, plus we signed sokratis, torreira and the dozi for cheap money last summer and they have all turned out all right.
As I said many times previously, our income from player sales this summer will not be great cos the players are shite, so selling to generate funds is a commendable plan/notion, but it wont apply here UNLESS we sell one of our strikers - it isn't that I would want to sell either of our strikers but more that I see it being a necessity unless dick is given proper funds to spend, and there is no point of having 2 quality strikers up one end of the pitch if the defence is leaking goals all over the place at the other end. Right now if I was told that we could sell auba (for £70m-£80m) and replace him with dembele (lyon striker) AND either umtiti (barca centre back) or Tierney (celtic left full), then I would say that would be an excellent piece of business cos our team would be stronger as a result. That is the mindset that served Dortmund so well over the years, but it requires patience from fans cos it isn't an overnight project that's for sure
It's a model that Liverpool, and Spurs have followed. With the money from coutinho and suarez liverpool have the side it has now. From Bale's and Modric money they have the side now. Neither have to really buy anyone because they have a strong enough squad to carry them through for 4-5 seasons. of course when Arsenal we're selling players for large fees they did not invest in the squad. They paid off the stadium and raised players wages to levels were they couldn't sell because clubs wouldn't pay those wages, or could pay the wages with a reduced transfer fee.
When we bought Ozil, Sanchez, Auba and Lacazette we changed the model but it wasn't sustainable without the champions league money.
So, we're back to the sell our best players and hope we can bring in academy players, with loan/ free signings which the latter part of the model Emery wisely worked with at Seville.
Arsenal do need to bring in one or two established Premier League defenders. Unfortunately, we will have to pay big money for them becuase that is the premium. We do have to consider looking at players like Ake from Bournemouth, Harry Maguire, Eric Bailly, and maybe John Stones from City (who seems to have dropped down the pecking order at City) to bolster our defence. Probably a palace or watford CB that I can't think of as they are well drilled defenders. Something that we lack.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Kroenke OUT.

Not interested in el cheapo signings and austerity measures, just get the f*ck out of our club.

Hell will freeze over before you get any of my money you wig wearing leech. :censored:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

What would be the realistic expected return from selling Mustafi, Mhiki, Elneny and Iwobi? Maybe pushing £60-70M at best, replacing those players alone with upgrades 'might' be doable with a budget of say £110-120M including the proposed infamous 'Warchest' but how much would it actually strengthen us?

One of our biggest problems as i see it this season was a huge lack of depth off the bench and our squad really lacks depth overall, so with the figures above we probably slightly improve the 'main' squad but we'll still struggle for depth. Bearing in mind we're also down Lichsteiner, Ramsey and Welbeck with no return (i know they arent exactly top class players) this leaves yet another big hole in the squad needing filled.

Admittedly we have Chambers, ESR, Ospina, Macey, Nwakali, Nelson, Osano and Bielek on loan but out of that list none are upgrades and some are very raw or never going to be good enough. I expect Ospina, Macey and Osana to go and possibly Chambers but again i cant see it generating significant funds.

As i've said i don't really like UE, his style grates on me for some reason, however i do not envy him his job over the summer and in all honesty i cannot see him being able to improve us much with the options he has (none of it down to him). As Augie said like him or loathe him Sven was good at uncovering young talent and turning at least some profit from most of them i'm not sure if Raul Sanllehi and whoever the Technical Director ends up being will be able to do the same.

Loyalty as a fan can carry you so far but i'm genuinely struggling to see any light at the end of the tunnel even with AW out the door because it still feels like very little has changed since his departure :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 pm
What would be the realistic expected return from selling Mustafi, Mhiki, Elneny and Iwobi? Maybe pushing £60-70M at best, replacing those players alone with upgrades 'might' be doable with a budget of say £110-120M including the proposed infamous 'Warchest' but how much would it actually strengthen us?

One of our biggest problems as i see it this season was a huge lack of depth off the bench and our squad really lacks depth overall, so with the figures above we probably slightly improve the 'main' squad but we'll still struggle for depth. Bearing in mind we're also down Lichsteiner, Ramsey and Welbeck with no return (i know they arent exactly top class players) this leaves yet another big hole in the squad needing filled.

Admittedly we have Chambers, ESR, Ospina, Macey, Nwakali, Nelson, Osano and Bielek on loan but out of that list none are upgrades and some are very raw or never going to be good enough. I expect Ospina, Macey and Osana to go and possibly Chambers but again i cant see it generating significant funds.

As i've said i don't really like UE, his style grates on me for some reason, however i do not envy him his job over the summer and in all honesty i cannot see him being able to improve us much with the options he has (none of it down to him). As Augie said like him or loathe him Sven was good at uncovering young talent and turning at least some profit from most of them i'm not sure if Raul Sanllehi and whoever the Technical Director ends up being will be able to do the same.

Loyalty as a fan can carry you so far but i'm genuinely struggling to see any light at the end of the tunnel even with AW out the door because it still feels like very little has changed since his departure :rubchin:

For starters, (sadly) there is not a snowballs chance in hell that iwobi will be sold this summer - for some strange reason some people think that he is good (although he hasn't started any of the big games recently 8) ) and he is a yoof product so will get more leeway and given another few years to try and show that he isnt as shit as he actually is :roll:
Secondly, there is no way that we would get anymore than £30m-£35m combined for selling mustafi, mikki and the ninny - word is out about how shit mustafi is and how much the fans hate him, so our negotiating power will be fcuked there. The armenian pussy is 30 years old and wouldnt attract any interest from any club with decent money to spend, and the ninny is shit and the swiss league is about his level meaning that would reflect in any fee we get

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

£20-25M each for Mustafalaugh and Mickey Taragon if sold in the PL, as shit as they are EPL prices are ludicrous, if sold elsewhere probably up to £15-20M.

Probably £5-10M for El Ninny, he is probably one of the few Wenger players who will make more than he was bought for precisely because he has played so little and he is only 26 :rubchin:

We often view our players myopically because we watch them week in and week out and dispair of them, our valuation of players we deem poor is not necessarily the market valuation.

augie

Post by augie »

Didn't know which thread to put this in but best of luck to another of our former players

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... on-manager

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Reading all the transfer rumours is mind boggling. Nothing can happen until 1st June so its best ignoring it all till then

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 pm
Didn't know which thread to put this in but best of luck to another of our former players

I shared a hotel lift with Silvinho once. In Barcelona back in 2004. He was talking on his phone so I didnt speak to him and nothing happened. I just got out when it was my floor.

That my fiends is possibly the worst and most pointless anecdote of all time on this board :oops:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:55 am
Reading all the transfer rumours is mind boggling. Nothing can happen until 1st June so its best ignoring it all till then

Transfer window opened last Thursday as far as I know.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 am
augie wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 pm

I shared a hotel lift with Silvinho once. In Barcelona back in 2004. He was talking on his phone so I didnt speak to him and nothing happened. I just got out when it was my floor.

That my fiends is possibly the worst and most pointless anecdote of all time on this board :oops:
:lol: :lol: Oh I dunno - Spuddy used to post some awful shite on here..... :lol: :wink:

A related incident..... a Gooner I know once got in a lift with ubercunt VanLongface.

Just the two of them. :shock:

No one else. :shock:

At the height of him being a manure cùnt and after the "brawl" at old Shatford too.

"Oh" I hear you say "what an opportunity....."

Nope the silly fucker did not throat punch the manure ceeunt but rather said "hi" to Longface and shook his hand. :censored: :roll:

In fairness the bloke always was a bit of a vadge. :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

Another bullshi.t article from one of wiggys puppets :roll:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... enkatesham

Every penny generated by the club will be used for strengthening the squad ? Does that mean every penny raised from sponsorship deals (adidas), and every endorsement deal, and every stadium deal (food companies etc) will be used to buy players ? Does it fcuk - it means that unless you sell you cant buy, cos you have to generate your own transfer budget :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored:

augie

Post by augie »

Some chance of this ever happening

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... er-palace/

Why even link us with him when the world and it's mother knows that we have a transfer budget of a league 2 club ? :roll:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:18 am
Some chance of this ever happening

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... er-palace/

Why even link us with him when the world and it's mother knows that we have a transfer budget of a league 2 club ? :roll:
Woo hoo we're going to sign Zaha....go on the Arsenal........oh, what's that in my inbox....it' my ST renewal request :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Raul and Vinai on transfer window:
•Targets identified with Emery ages ago
•Talks already underway with targets
•Some targets want CL football
•Club confidant ‘Arsenal image’ is a strong pulling power.
https://t.co/FRbdsWkuVb