other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by northbank123 »

Difficult to get perspective on this but Barca 2-0 down to Valencia at half time in the cup final. A side who despite going 1-0 down to at home we fucking battered.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

The Valencia team we twatted over both games currently 2-0 up against Barcelona Spanish cup final :roll:

Lots of dismissing of Celtics treble,treble Man City have only achieved this feat once

Yes I am taking the piss but glad the Scousers knocked Barcelona out in the CL now would be even more fearing the worst next week :cussing:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I said it at the time, Liverpool's comeback in knocking out Barcelona has ended the Messi/ Barcelona period. A bit like what we did to the Liverpool 30 years ago today. We ended their tenure at the top. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

So, its welcome back to the Premier League, Aston Villa.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

That's a fucking pity. :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It sure is. Still not to worry they'll go straight back down! :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:30 pm
The teams that finished fifth and sixth in the second tier of English football played in a Wembley Final in front of a full house .The winners received medals and a big trophy. The game was dubbed the most lucrative in football because of the financial rewards for the winners. This was a direct reward for failure . A direct reward for not gaining automatic promotion..
A week previous the "purists" bemoaned the demise of FA Cup Final Day.. Said it last week I know but I can see a time when the Premier League is decided by a "top four playoff"..
The media wankathon over Liverpool finishing second convinces me even more that the money men will see another opportunity to flog another Super Sunday..
I grew up in believing a league was a league and a cup was a cup. Both were beautuful in their own way. I despise the concept of the play offs.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Was flicking through the channels last night and came across a game between Union Berlin and Stuttgart..It was the second leg of a promotion /relegation play off . Stuttgart were trying to avoid the drop while Union Berlin were trying to gain promotion to the Bundesliga for the first time. The standard of the game was poor but the frenzy of it and the very vocal Berlin support made a bad game compelling..It was 2-2 in the first leg in Stuttgart and last night was 0-0 so Union Berlin were promoted on away goals..There was a very excited but friendly pitch invasion .No presentation or anything as far as I could see.
Stuttgart finished third bottom of the Bundesliga and Berlin finish third in the second tier..That is how play offs began in England. That is how they should be now .

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
The teams that finished fifth and sixth in the second tier of English football played in a Wembley Final in front of a full house .The winners received medals and a big trophy. The game was dubbed the most lucrative in football because of the financial rewards for the winners. This was a direct reward for failure . A direct reward for not gaining automatic promotion..
A week previous the "purists" bemoaned the demise of FA Cup Final Day.. Said it last week I know but I can see a time when the Premier League is decided by a "top four playoff"..
The media wankathon over Liverpool finishing second convinces me even more that the money men will see another opportunity to flog another Super Sunday..
I grew up in believing a league was a league and a cup was a cup. Both were beautuful in their own way. I despise the concept of the play offs.
Good post and I agree

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:59 am
It sure is. Still not to worry they'll go straight back down! :lol:

I watched about an hour of the game and it truly was dire stuff :roll: Villa are an old plodding team, and derby looked a bit more lively albeit with little threat going forward.
Both teams are built around loanee's and that's the biggest problem in my opinion. Villa had a centre back and centre forward on loan and they are key positions on every position, whilst derby also had a centre back on loan, plus the young players on loan from the victims and chavs in their starting 11 - these loan players might now even be at those clubs next season, and I dont see how it is fair for these clubs to have a third of their starting teams from premier league clubs, whilst their opponents all season may not have had the resources and contacts to do the same.
Yesterday was a dilemma similar to that which I am facing on Saturday night, in that I didn't want either team to win - first you had the ex chavs in both coaching set-ups (fat frank and pikey terry), in derby with you had a judas cu.nt (cashley), a sneaky fat bast.ard (huddlestone) and of course the over-rated Wilson who seems more focused on style than substance ( :roll: ), but with villa you had the woeful whelan (only a sub I know), the leg breaking thug taylor, and of course grealish who is just a smarmy cocky crunt that I want to see get both his legs broken every time he steps on the field :censored: :censored:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Yesterday was a dilemma similar to that which I am facing on Saturday night, in that I didn't want either team to win - first you had the ex chavs in both coaching set-ups (fat frank and pikey terry), in derby with you had a judas cu.nt (cashley), a sneaky fat bast.ard (huddlestone) and of course the over-rated Wilson who seems more focused on style than substance ( :roll: ), but with villa you had the woeful whelan (only a sub I know), the leg breaking thug taylor, and of course grealish who is just a smarmy cocky crunt that I want to see get both his legs broken every time he steps on the field :censored: :censored:

Other than that , you quite enjoyed it.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:42 am
Was flicking through the channels last night and came across a game between Union Berlin and Stuttgart..It was the second leg of a promotion /relegation play off . Stuttgart were trying to avoid the drop while Union Berlin were trying to gain promotion to the Bundesliga for the first time. The standard of the game was poor but the frenzy of it and the very vocal Berlin support made a bad game compelling..It was 2-2 in the first leg in Stuttgart and last night was 0-0 so Union Berlin were promoted on away goals..There was a very excited but friendly pitch invasion .No presentation or anything as far as I could see.
Stuttgart finished third bottom of the Bundesliga and Berlin finish third in the second tier..That is how play offs began in England. That is how they should be now .
i can never understand why play off winners get a trophy!
you are better off getting promoted via the play offs than finish 2nd.

suppose it is like the Champions League though where some no mark club who have not been champions in anything for over 50 years can somehow end up in the biggest club match in world football :roll:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
Great post as always BWK ... I didnt see all of yesterdays game but I saw most of the Charlton v Sunderland game and thought how ridiculous the whole thing was. The National anthem being bellowed out at the start is completely unnecessary ... and I hate that high-pitched opera style these women sing it in too.

Then there's the fireworks, the glitter and the same old cheesy songs booming out of the tannoys. Who the f--k thought it was a good idea to play ''Sweet Caroline'' in a football stadium? :banghead: And dont forget the cliched andrepetitive player interviews where the interviewer asks a breathless player to ''sum up what it means'' ... only to be told ''I can't put it into words to be honest '' :roll: Then telling us how they're gonna enjoy celebrating later :yawn:

Also we now get the dressing room footage too, either from official cameras or some knobs mobile phone footage that has been uploaded to twitter or whatever. Is nothing private anymore? Do we really need to see loads of tatttooed footballers jumping up and down with their kit off after we've seen them doing exactly that on the pitch for the previous 25 mins!

I share your fears about a ''top four play-off'' in future. It's almost inevitable. I would rather see football stop altogether than witness that!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I can't see a top 4 play off but I can envisage a 3rd-6th play off, with games taking place overseas, probably USA. The teams playing off for a chance to get in the Champions League without having to go through the qualifier as an incentive for the winner, and of course a trophy for the winner.
No doubt this will happen when we finish 3rd, Spurs finish 6th and we fuck it up

OR

They'll have 3rd-6th and then have 7th-10th both have play off's and the winner of each plays in a final in an attempt to break the top 6 monopoly of clubs. Enabling a team that finishes 10th to play in the CL.

It is ridiculous as we have both Cup competitions, but who knows in this crazy world of football.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:30 pm
I can't see a top 4 play off but I can envisage a 3rd-6th play off, with games taking place overseas, probably USA. The teams playing off for a chance to get in the Champions League without having to go through the qualifier as an incentive for the winner, and of course a trophy for the winner.
No doubt this will happen when we finish 3rd, Spurs finish 6th and we fuck it up

OR

They'll have 3rd-6th and then have 7th-10th both have play off's and the winner of each plays in a final in an attempt to break the top 6 monopoly of clubs. Enabling a team that finishes 10th to play in the CL.

It is ridiculous as we have both Cup competitions, but who knows in this crazy world of football.

Uefa will not let that happen - there was a big discussion a few years ago about boosting the fa cup by giving the winners the 4th champions league spot instead of the team that finishes 4th in the league - UEFA knocked that idea on the head straight away