Europa League Final Arsenal v Chav$ 29/05 Match Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: Europa League Final Arsenal v Chav$ 29/05 Match Thread

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Rob Admin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 pm
So losing means no CL and less $ for Kronke? I think we're happy to take that one on the chin right?
very much so

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:38 pm
I'm still not sure what happened in that 20 minute spell. Giroud scored and we collapsed. The hunger from the three home grown players was evident, as for the rest.
Simply the key area which has let us down all season was bared open again tonight (or tomorrrow given the time difference). Koscielny/ Sokratis ?monreal are gone. There were no challenges going in from the midfield or defence. Chelski had better players.
Tactically, Emery wasn't outhought, he simply hasn't got the quality of players. That was our best fit first eleven out there tonight. Looking at the manager's face tonight I wouldn't be surprised if he sacked off that team. There really isn't anything he can pick from the debris of that performance to look forward to next season. All the fuss over cech and he was our best performer.
Taking Ozil off and replacing him with Willock was the biggest "fuck you" move Emery could've made. The impact Willock made in however many minutes he was on the pitch for, overshadowed Ozil entire season.
Can we re-build? Yes, but it will have to come from within the club.
Sorry Nos but i'm not having that, this is pretty much the same team that destroyed Spuds 4-2 at the bowl, went home and away against Napoli and looked rock solid, at home against United and Chelsea we were good in both matches, in fact we looked good at home for much of the season, yet too often in away matches we have been utterly attrocious, again tonight off our own turf we were utter crap.

This manager does not understand pragmatism and doesn't learn from his mistakes, i've said it again and again he thinks he can play the same way away from home as we do at home and it is blatantly obvious we can't. There's an old saying by Einstein i think, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.' Well he has kept setting us up away time after time the exact same and got the same results more often than not and never learned from it. Wenger was exactly the same and there is, for me anyway, a similar egotism between the two of them.

The players have shown in fits and starts that they can actually play football when set up correctly and motivated to do so and that is the head coaches job, the players not playing properly tonight when it has been shown multiple times this season that they can means there is a deficiency in the boss as much as in them.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Fuck. :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rob Admin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:02 pm
Anyone remember when results like this would put you in deep depression for days, that United semi defeat for example.

I switched off when the 2nd goal went in and started pulling the kick boards off my kitchen units to check that my fight with the mice is on track

I'm struggling to reconcile how much I don't give a fuck about the result.
Me too Rob. I'm not even angry or deppressed this morning the way I would have been after a similar capitulation a few years ago. I just feel..... kind of empty.

I hardly recognise the club I started supporting with such pride as a child. I feel very very disconnected from something that was such a huge part of my life for over 40 years to the extent of having it tattooed on my body.

TBH I'm kinda more disappointed in how I feel then I am in the players, manager or parasitic owner. :|

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Comes back to what it always does - no understanding of how to defend and no backbone.

The first goal was just no pressure on the ball and Koscielny getting done like that is embarrassing. He just watched Giroud run across him and didn’t bother fighting to get there. We gave away two goals by getting tackled 30 yards out in our own half and the other we let Kovacic run half the pitch.

We folded like a house of cards as soon as they scored. They are bang average and it was embarrassing - if we had scored first we would have won.

Echo the sentiments of others about it just not hurting the same way any more. Aided and abetted by the complete farce of playing nearly 3 weeks after the end of the season 2,500 miles away with no fans a ref who was evidently happy to let players foul with complete impunity at 11pm on a pitch which had been watered so heavily that it was like playing on an ice rink. But largely down to this club dampening expectations in this way for a decade now.

Too familiar and predictable to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but fuck me Emery has got a point to prove next season. It was always an enormous job and he hasn’t (and won’t) get half of the money he needs to do it, but if we are still routinely getting run rings around, shipping in 4 and bottling it away from home next season then it should be his last. Sadly it’s guaranteed Xhaka will still play regularly and I have to question his judgement on that. Seriously.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Emery had my full support but I don't really care if he goes. Everybody who is calling for his head, fair enough, but who is going to replace him? An Allardyce type, who will maybe put some defensive structures in place and turn us into a battling, dour 6th place team, which Kroenke will be happy with and it will go on for years.

I absolutely guarantee you, as long as Kroenke is there, things will not improve, in fact they will get worse.

This team is a turd, and you cannot polish a turd, all you can do is sprinkle glitter on it.....and that is what we are going to get for the foreseeable future.

AS an aside, this team has no business being in the CL....and had we got in Kroenke would have even less reason to spend money....he would just have pocketed more.

KROENKE OUT!!!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

https://youtu.be/LG6QTSqFURk

arsenal fan tv thought the live stream had ended. they have been recorded laughing about profiting from us losing.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

It hasn't got any easier this morning. . I have read all the comments and heard all the talk , in my humble opinion what hurts more than anything is that Chelsea did not have to work overly hard to score four goals. They got in at ease through naive brittle defending and that isn't something new at Arsenal.
Few positives from it.. Tin hat on here but Iwobi (and I don't rate him) did show a bit of pride as did Willock. Cech didn't do anything wrong either.
I have defended Ozil for ever it seems but if I never see him.in an Arsenal shirt again I won't be sorry. What is it with the number 14 shirt and major finals for Arsenal.? Henry played in five finals and never scored, Aubamayang looked indifferent last night.
Emery has it all to do, but will not get the tools to do it with. Maybe he isn't good enough but outside of him where do we go? Allegri has been mentioned again but why would he do that to himself? Why would he join a club with an absentee landlord? Anyway it's hypothetical Arsenal wouldn't have the ambition to even make an enquiry.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

shocking

embarrassing

gutted

i cant think of anymore words to sum it up

oh yeah Ozil is a ****ing disgrace

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:13 am
https://youtu.be/LG6QTSqFURk

arsenal fan tv thought the live stream had ended. they have been recorded laughing about profiting from us losing.
Odious ceunts :x i hope everyone who has defended these muppets for so long are happy with themselves :evil:

brucers

Post by brucers »

I am not going to regurgitate much of what we agree on. Only 2 things, 1 are any of us really surprised? I'm not, usual defensive collapse, any fight there may have been goes after first goal. Number 2, only way out of this is big buyer or maybe even relegation.

Block93

Post by Block93 »

There was no excuse for the pitiful second half performance last night, but that wasn't necessarily all Emery's fault.

What was completely and absolutely his fault, and what f****d everything up, was the appalling team selection for the home match v Palace. The priority for the club, given the parsimonious business model, was to qualify for the CL, as that would release extra funds and, as importantly, attract better players in. Surely the Board impressed that upon him? The Europa League trophy is purely a means to an end; who really cares about it? It is a trophy for the also-rans. I am not suggesting we would win the CL or anything near next year, but it represented the best way forward by a mile.

The Palace result was the killer, I always thought we would lose at Wolves anyway and probably Leicester. Emery prioritised the wrong competition, because he is so arrogant. Fourth place was well within our grasp, and that was very much achievable, as the final league table shows. True, that idiot Xhaka also cost us v Brighton, but everyone, apart from Emery, knows he is an absolute liability and should be nowhere near the first team.

The blame for where we find ourselves can be and should be laid totally at Emery's door. He was the wrong appointment, and I said this on the first page of his thread, so I am not just talking in hindsight. The current situation and potential outlook is a total embarrassment and has set the club back probably two to three years. And if Spurs win on Saturday, then it just doesn't bear thinking about.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm
We are heading towards midtable now.

Couple of years time we will be grateful for being in the Europa League.

Spurs are top dogs in north London now.
Get Wiggy out or this will be the future for next 10 years :banghead:
Bollox to scum, they have won fuck all...fucking slags

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm
We are heading towards midtable now.

Couple of years time we will be grateful for being in the Europa League.

Spurs are top dogs in north London now.
Get Wiggy out or this will be the future for next 10 years :banghead:
Bollox to scum, they have won fuck all...fucking slags
No one said anything about winning, it's a mere statement of the better team in NL. Regardless of what we won and their trophy cabinet, in this present time they are ahead. You don't have to win a treble to be the better team in your city/area.

United is more successful but City has been the better team for a while.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:14 am
Rob Admin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:02 pm
Anyone remember when results like this would put you in deep depression for days, that United semi defeat for example.

I switched off when the 2nd goal went in and started pulling the kick boards off my kitchen units to check that my fight with the mice is on track

I'm struggling to reconcile how much I don't give a fuck about the result.
Me too Rob. I'm not even angry or deppressed this morning the way I would have been after a similar capitulation a few years ago. I just feel..... kind of empty.

I hardly recognise the club I started supporting with such pride as a child. I feel very very disconnected from something that was such a huge part of my life for over 40 years to the extent of having it tattooed on my body.

TBH I'm kinda more disappointed in how I feel then I am in the players, manager or parasitic owner. :|
I still get angry, but more with fellow supporters .
I was honestly awake for at least 15 mins this morning before i remembered the game!
Then my missus asked me the result, “stuffed 4-1, we fell apart in the second half” was my reply, “its a game of two halves Sid” and “its a funny old game” was her response and I almost pissed myself laughing!
Years ago I would have been inconsoleable, but here I am now with the missus taking the piss out of me and I’m much happier and comfortable with that!