Europa League Final Arsenal v Chav$ 29/05 Match Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: Europa League Final Arsenal v Chav$ 29/05 Match Thread

Post by xisstential »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm
We are heading towards midtable now.

Couple of years time we will be grateful for being in the Europa League.

Spurs are top dogs in north London now.
Get Wiggy out or this will be the future for next 10 years :banghead:
Bollox to scum, they have won fuck all...fucking slags
They are actually a crap team.....they have got to the CL final with the same sort of incredible luck that saw the Chavs win it....both Bayern & Barca missing penalties.

Their finish to the PL season was terrible, disastrous in fact, we just managed to get to catastrophe level in the run in which allowed them to sneak into 4th. I HATE the dippers, BUT in fairness, they actually deserve it more.

And once Emery is replaced we are going to be one of those clubs that has a new manager every couple of seasons, just never winning anything. We'll probably end up with a managerial pygmy, desperately grateful to be at such a "big" club, who will have the odd cup run, making it to the 5th round, or every once in a while to the 1/4's and keeping us in the PL season after season viewd as a major achievement.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

As usual, it's all been said already. Most of us can accept losing IF, we give it all we've got. I said a few days ago either on this thread, or another, that when I walked out of the stadium after the Paris final, as disappointed as I obviously was, I held my head up, knowing we gave it our best shot with 10 men. Last night's capitulation is simply a fucking embarrassment. The most troubling thing and the biggest indicator of where we are as a club, is that our performance and the outcome will surprise almost none of us. The saddest thing, is that it no longer hurts the way it once did.

This Club is part of my being and has been from earliest memory (it's a family thing), but as much as I know that the visceral love will always burn, even if it's deep inside, I honestly don't like the Club anymore. It's no longer the Arsenal that I knew and that's nothing to do with being a crap side....God knows I've seen plenty of dismal teams, notably mid 70s, mid 80s and mid 90s. No, I fear that the soul of the Club has been removed and that die was cast the moment Kroenke walked through the door.

No point me trying to analyse last night's game and beefing about what's wrong with the team, it's been said a million times and everyone on here knows the details. It's the future that is important and I'm afraid that it looks very grim indeed. Wenger, in league with the board (both pre and post Kroenke's arrival) undertook the death of our club, but he became the far lesser problem, because without the owner giving him the amount of rope he did, then Wenger could have been sacked years ago. The very real and largely unsolvable problem, is Stan. As many have said, it's mid table at best under his ownership and that wont bother him one bit, unless the money dries up.

Emery is not the answer, he's a second level manager at best. I know that he inherited a pile of crap, but some additions were made and even with the same squad, I expect improvements in organisation, coaching, motivation and attitude from the players. If different managers can't have different impacts on the same group of players, then what's the point of a manager ? He's now had a full season, but let's be honest, it's as though Wenger never left. Forget the Valencia games, they were the oddities (also, we could have been 3 down in the first leg, before we scored). It was the last 6 or 7 league games that tell you all you need to know and last night...against an English league side....was merely a continuation of that run of form. Bang average squad or not, there's no excuse for the end of season collapse in the league, when so much was at stake. It piled the pressure on last night's result and we all know how we perform under pressure. As long as Kroenke owns the Club, we're doomed and the manager is to a large extent irrelevant, but I expect more from Emery than he's been giving us and while I'd give him next season, we'll know by Christmas.

I've a decision to make. My ST renewal is in and having wrestled with the decision every year for the last 6 or 7, I'm as close as ever to saying fuck it. Frankly, I rented it out for 4 years and this season sold lots of games via ticket transfer. Other than that, the seat mainly sat empty this season. I must be nuts for even considering dropping over a grand, when I have no real desire to (a) go and watch a dying side and (b) line fucking Stan's pockets. I just find it very fucking hard to let go of the ticket that I've had for donkey's years and that gave me great memories at Highbury, when our great Club still had its soul.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Most pointless hangover I’ve ever had

Clash

Post by Clash »

Superb post Retro.

No need to add anything, I feel exactly the same way.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I wanted to wait til i calmed down to post but am still fuming, what a shit performance. From minute 1, there was zero fight or aggression. As for Emery, where do i begin. Our entire game plan was based on getting it down the wings and blasting it across the box, once Chelsea snuffed that out, we had no alternative. He didn't even try to change things tactically, just brought on random subs, it was like wanker was back. Then on top of everything, he shows zero bottle or being ruthless by starting Cech, who needs a European trophy when you can give an oap a good send off :banghead: Emery should be gone, if for nothing else, failing to beat either Palace or Brighton which should have made last night meaningless. On a side-note, there is a video of Giroud on the Plane after the match screaming "thank you Arsenal" then laughing, yet when he came to the Emirates, our fans were acting like he was Henry returning. Why would silent stan ever change when you have so many brainless idiots following this club, who will put up with anything.

Herd

Post by Herd »

When I came back from Singapore in 2015 I looked forward to games but very quickly blew it out . I have no stomach for turgid tip tap with no end product ,jerk hotdogs and an atmosphere that lends itself to meditation more than football.
My Seasons are used by friends for the past 3 seasons and if they don't want them next year ,I will bin them off for the first time since 1974 !
The note they sent about season ticket renewals was a classic saying we wont tell you how much you will pay until we find out if we are in the chumps league, and reminding us of the "discount" we have had this year !
I'm almost done with this club ,but then Ive been saying this for nearly 10 years ,if I felt this way about my missus they would be gone by now !

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Rian1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 am
Redarmy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm
We are heading towards midtable now.

Couple of years time we will be grateful for being in the Europa League.

Spurs are top dogs in north London now.
Get Wiggy out or this will be the future for next 10 years :banghead:
Bollox to scum, they have won fuck all...fucking slags
No one said anything about winning, it's a mere statement of the better team in NL. Regardless of what we won and their trophy cabinet, in this present time they are ahead. You don't have to win a treble to be the better team in your city/area.

United is more successful but City has been the better team for a while.
Don't want to hear about those *word censored*....fuck the lot of them

augie

Post by augie »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:37 pm
augie wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:03 pm
Thierry 3-8-99 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm
augie wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:49 pm

The thing I cant understand with comments like this (and those from sid), is that they totally absolve the players from blame and seem to think that a different manager will make everything better :roll: I said yesterday that dick is nowhere near an elite manager, but these players are nowhere near good enough either in ability or attitude. We will NEVER be a big club again under this ownership and we need to realise that
Very very true - just not sure as Arsenal fans how we cope/adapt/deal with it :(
Whilst i agree that the players are as much as fault as the manager tonight there were plenty on here whose ire only ever reach Wenger and often the players were a only a byproduct of his poor management style or recruitment policy, so why then after a complete season to improve things does UE suddenly get absolved of any blame and it is purely down to the players, he is the Head Coach, i go back to my earlier statement please point out one area he has obviously improved with his coaching, or even one player...

Being blinkered in the post Wenger era is just as bad as those who were blinkered for years because of what Wenger did for us in his early years. The Head Coach/Manager, no matter who he is, is responsible for how the team plays as a whole and how it is set up, we have been carved open too many times this season against differing levels of opponents (some of them incredbly shit teams) for him not to be responsible for the organisation, tactics and especially defending.

He is NOT absolved of blame/responsibility, and I blame his team selection against palace for triggering our end of season collapse :evil: What I will continue to say in his defence, is that he was left with a piss poor squad riddled with disgraceful attitudes
BUT he signed 5 players, certainly 4 That you and everyone else on here have said we were crying out for and were UPGRADES, as in better but yet we lookl fuckin shit for 90% of our games.

In fact apart from games against Fulham (who gave us a plus 7 goal difference) we have looked like losing every fuckin game at any given moment.

Regardless of our wanky yanky owner dick is shit and out of his depth and I've said this from months ago.

And those 4 players were an upgrade to the point we finished 9 points and 1 place higher than last season. Some are happy to quote stats about goals conceded etc and that is ok, but if you want to quote stats then include points total and finishing spot cos they are the most important stats. What those signings cannot do is over-ride the ineptitude and pathetic attitude of the other 8 outfield players last night (dozi was only a sub, and I cant blame cech)), and we need at least another 4 or 5 HIGHER QUALITY players that will make the type of difference that you, sid and the rest of us want and expect. If we give dick those signings and we don't improve, then we can lay it on dick and get rid

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Retro. Agree with that post, excellent stuff. I too have really struggled with renewing each season. Its the shame old Shit again. But mug that i am i will probably do it. Toyed with renting it out to trusted pals and/or friends of, but hilariously no one has shown ay interest. Fucking love this club, hate what its become, and what it does too us.

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:38 am
As usual, it's all been said already. Most of us can accept losing IF, we give it all we've got. I said a few days ago either on this thread, or another, that when I walked out of the stadium after the Paris final, as disappointed as I obviously was, I held my head up, knowing we gave it our best shot with 10 men. Last night's capitulation is simply a fucking embarrassment. The most troubling thing and the biggest indicator of where we are as a club, is that our performance and the outcome will surprise almost none of us. The saddest thing, is that it no longer hurts the way it once did.

This Club is part of my being and has been from earliest memory (it's a family thing), but as much as I know that the visceral love will always burn, even if it's deep inside, I honestly don't like the Club anymore. It's no longer the Arsenal that I knew and that's nothing to do with being a crap side....God knows I've seen plenty of dismal teams, notably mid 70s, mid 80s and mid 90s. No, I fear that the soul of the Club has been removed and that die was cast the moment Kroenke walked through the door.

No point me trying to analyse last night's game and beefing about what's wrong with the team, it's been said a million times and everyone on here knows the details. It's the future that is important and I'm afraid that it looks very grim indeed. Wenger, in league with the board (both pre and post Kroenke's arrival) undertook the death of our club, but he became the far lesser problem, because without the owner giving him the amount of rope he did, then Wenger could have been sacked years ago. The very real and largely unsolvable problem, is Stan. As many have said, it's mid table at best under his ownership and that wont bother him one bit, unless the money dries up.

Emery is not the answer, he's a second level manager at best. I know that he inherited a pile of crap, but some additions were made and even with the same squad, I expect improvements in organisation, coaching, motivation and attitude from the players. If different managers can't have different impacts on the same group of players, then what's the point of a manager ? He's now had a full season, but let's be honest, it's as though Wenger never left. Forget the Valencia games, they were the oddities (also, we could have been 3 down in the first leg, before we scored). It was the last 6 or 7 league games that tell you all you need to know and last night...against an English league side....was merely a continuation of that run of form. Bang average squad or not, there's no excuse for the end of season collapse in the league, when so much was at stake. It piled the pressure on last night's result and we all know how we perform under pressure. As long as Kroenke owns the Club, we're doomed and the manager is to a large extent irrelevant, but I expect more from Emery than he's been giving us and while I'd give him next season, we'll know by Christmas.

I've a decision to make. My ST renewal is in and having wrestled with the decision every year for the last 6 or 7, I'm as close as ever to saying fuck it. Frankly, I rented it out for 4 years and this season sold lots of games via ticket transfer. Other than that, the seat mainly sat empty this season. I must be nuts for even considering dropping over a grand, when I have no real desire to (a) go and watch a dying side and (b) line fucking Stan's pockets. I just find it very fucking hard to let go of the ticket that I've had for donkey's years and that gave me great memories at Highbury, when our great Club still had its soul.
Great post, sums up my feelings exactly.

Tollgoon

Post by Tollgoon »

**Warning** NSFArsenal fans, I was shocked when I read the thread up post about Giroud on the plane - well here it is - there's your respect. https://twitter.com/CFCDaily/status/1133879104737075201
Woke up this morning feeling like it's the end game and the soul of Arsenal passed away last night, not one player I care about and to be frank they don't care about playing for Arsenal. It's just a game for mercenaries now, and the only person who I thought really cared last night was Cesc - in the studio. I think it will only turnaround with a bunch of young players coming through at the same time but in London with all the competition from other clubs that could be a long wait. Big decisions come season ticket renewal time, because its getting harder to palm them off to someone else game by game let alone for the whole season.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Piss poor lastnight..a very wengerlike performance :cry: all fart and no shite.I knew we wouldn't win it the second those chav fuckers won the shootout against frakfurt :cry: shower of bastards have some record in European finals it has to be said played 6 won 5 lost 1 and that was on pens.Our record on the other hand is pathetic..played 7 won 2 lost 5..this is where we are now as a club.Owned 100% by a wiggy parasite who doesn't give one single iota of a fuck about football..the gap to city and the dippers is a chasm :cry: and will only get bigger thanks to stan.Wolves Everton etc are our challengers now.This is Arsenal 2019..an owner miles away and a club miles away from competing :cry: it's been said elsewhere that lastnights defeat doesn't sting like it should,I concur wholeheartedly with this :cry: I couldn't give a fuck really,just numb to it all now.

augie

Post by augie »

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if wiggy or his puppet son was at the game last night ?

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm
Out of curiousity, does anyone know if wiggy or his puppet son was at the game last night ?
Only Josh, not Stan.

This is what Kevin Whitcher said on his editorial:
A footnote. The club’s owner Stan Kroenke was not in attendance at the final last night. Presumably once he was told he would not be sitting next to a member of the Royal Family as in previous finals, he found better things to do. He sent his son Josh instead. I’m not certain what the Kroenkes know about the values of the club, but one thing’s for sure after this season. The value of the club itself has dropped. It would be nice if Silent Stan were to sell up and give someone who actually cares about winning a crack at the whip. Now that would be a real result.

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

I’m firmly in the Emery out camp now.
Whether or not he is a good manager or bad manager, dealing with handed down shite from Wenger or making his own player sales and buys, the very fact he caved and played Cech last night proves he doesn’t have the balls needed to make hard decisions.

Admittedly Cech was ok, but by not naming Leno he already massively undermined his position with the team IMO.

Imagine if you’re Laca or Auba and your manager shows he doesn’t really care about putting out the team with the best possible chance to win the cup. Why should they give a fuck if Emery doesn’t and the Board don’t?