THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Was that the same Invincibles that lost more league titles than they actually won, who constantly failed in the knock out stages of European competition & even lost the two finals they managed to get to? :barscarf:

Piss off Wenger & take your AKB cúnts with you!!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Lost more league titles than they won :rubchin: :lol:

so did every fukin Arsenal team you have known you idiot

They are the invincibles because they won the league without a single defeat

fuck off anybody who wants to down play important victorys in our history because their hatred of one man is bigger than their love of the Arsenal :barscarf:

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:59 pm
herbert wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 pm
I was going to start a thread about it but it could get nasty :box: :lol:

So I will post it here

15 years ago this month a whole season invincible with the so called mad dictator at the helm :mrgnu: :barscarf:
with a defence,midfield and attack of your players( plus DB10 ) :barscarf: they cant nick that season of you by saying it was what you inherited :blah: :blah: :blah:

what a season and what a legend :lol:

Yeah but the question has to be..... if he hadn't inherited the side (particularly the defence) that he did what would he have achieved. He repeatedly showed himself to be incapable of building a defence. Had he inherited a defence that was equivalent to his own average standard would he have won a thing. We made him not the other way around. Whatever people may think of David Dein now, he was at the club during that period and very much involved in what went on.
He inherited jens, Lauren, sol, toure, and Cole? Ok missed that.

augie

Post by augie »

subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:59 pm
herbert wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 pm
I was going to start a thread about it but it could get nasty :box: :lol:

So I will post it here

15 years ago this month a whole season invincible with the so called mad dictator at the helm :mrgnu: :barscarf:
with a defence,midfield and attack of your players( plus DB10 ) :barscarf: they cant nick that season of you by saying it was what you inherited :blah: :blah: :blah:

what a season and what a legend :lol:

Yeah but the question has to be..... if he hadn't inherited the side (particularly the defence) that he did what would he have achieved. He repeatedly showed himself to be incapable of building a defence. Had he inherited a defence that was equivalent to his own average standard would he have won a thing. We made him not the other way around. Whatever people may think of David Dein now, he was at the club during that period and very much involved in what went on.
He inherited jens, Lauren, sol, toure, and Cole? Ok missed that.

Commonly accepted fact that in the 98 double season we had just had a bad defeat at home v blackburn in the league - afterwards (in the dressing room) TA6 and the backline called a meeting where they bollocked PV4 and petit and told them that they needed to protect the back 4 better, and that sparked the run that led us to the title.
Ask any of the big "foreign" players (Bergkamp, PV4, henry, pires etc.) we have had at the club in wengers first 10 years, and they will tell you what a huge influence the old Arsenal back 4 had on them adapting to the English game, and telling them what was expected of them at the club - no defender in the past 10-12 years has come into that environment in the club and for me it is a big reason why we have been defensively shit for years. Also commonly known fact wenger NEVER worked on his defence in training, and would never allow any of the coaches freedom/responsibility to do work with them separate from the main group. You can list jens/lauren/sol/kolo all you like, but the reality is that wenger played fuc.k all part in developing that defence cos they were educated by the last breaths of the best back 4 football has ever seen

herbert

Post by herbert »

The manager from whom I learned the most is Arsène Wenger. He is a perfectionist, who does not only know how to defend but who has an exact idea of the game’s movement when going forwards. The possibility of training moves and automatisms forwards as well as backwards

Lehman thinks differently

He played a massive part in the devolopement of that defence , the dna of the previous defence was still in the clubs system
but he signed those players ,he trained them he played them so he put that team together and deserves credit for it

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I see he criticized our Defence on Saturday whilst punditing the CL final.

he called it a collapse. as the expert on defensive collapses who signed three of that back five he would know.

i do give him credit for buying the invincible players but as for training them - LOL, that never happened.

he was fortunate that he inherited the best back five in world football and its greatest ever #10 and he was able to cherry pick the greatest ever generation of players from his home country.

that success led to the ability to attract the likes of Lauren, Campbell etc.

if he was so great, why couldn't he repeat his success from 2012 to 2018 when there was absolutely no financial constraints ?

herbert

Post by herbert »

:shock: :lol: he never trained them?

He was the manager of course he was training them

Your hatred of him as clouded your memory go back to the 25,04,2004 and honestly tell me that at 6pm that evening you didnt believe that Arsene deserved some of the credit for that season and if I would have said to you he was lucky it was down to this and that you would have told me to fuk off
and quite rightly so

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

herbert wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:04 pm
:shock: :lol: he never trained them?

He was the manager of course he was training them
both Vieira and TH14 confirmed he told them to 'just go out and play'.

he expected the players to organize themselves - which was great when you had players like Adams and Sol....

he never studied the opposition nor adjusted his formations, plus it has been since confirmed that they never practiced free kicks, shooting from range or set pieces.

that's what i call training, not just playing six a sides and one touch 'box' games.

the ex-manager deserves credit for his player selection from 2000 to 2004, but that is all.

had he had any real talent in training and coaching he would have been able to repeat the trick after Bergkamp left.

but he couldn't.

he was in the right place, right time. that is all.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Thank fuck he was in the right place at the right time then :barscarf:

Maybe we can credit him with that :lol:

herbert

Post by herbert »

The legends that are the invincibles :barscarf:

and the manager who was in the right place at the right time :lol:

You couldnt make it up :blah: :blah: :blah:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I've never bought this revisionist "Wenger was lucky - he did fuck all" rubbish. It's the thinking of people consumed with hatred.

I've also never bought the AKB "he is a genius" line either.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

He was brilliant manager from 1996 - 2006 arguably still good until 2008..... you do not win what he did playing that style of football based purely on luck.

It's a myth that he didn't coach the defence. Romford, Ozil and a few other players have confirmed that Wenger did a lot of practicing set pieces in training, both attacking AND defensively.

The "he just told us to go out and play" comment has been a bit misconstrued. He didn't say that during training but rather as part of his prematch team talk as the work had been put in on the training pitch during the week. It was more a case of telling players if they saw the chance to try something then do it. Adams' goal against Everton at Highbury in 98 was a direct result of that freedom to take a chance according to Wrighty and had been practiced in training with the CH's.

Yes Wenger was lucky to have inherited the Back 5 and they were the foundation for his early success. But it is churlish and nonsensical to say he added nothing to that and was "lucky" to win what he won. Most successful managers have some form of luck at key junctures in their career. It does not make them lesser managers. Wenger had luck but he also had foresight and revolutionised the English game with the introduction of the two strong, powerful and technically adept central midfielders. That changed the game. Temporarily.....

What the AKB can't accept is that Wenger got it badly wrong in trying to adopt the Barca whore tikka takka style with lighter more mobile players. It didn't transfer from the slower less physical Spanish league to the PL and we ended up with the easily out muscled watered down tippy tappy.

Wenger then fell behind the rest of the top clubs because his ego could not let him accept he had got it so badly wrong and he persisted with The Project and keeping rubbish players long long past the point they were exposed as being not good enough.

He was a great manager but he was very past it in his last decade with us.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Viera, who only played 2 seasons under Mourinho (who I despise btw)

The 39-year-old was speaking to the Times and was selecting a 'team-mates XI' when he was asked who he would pick as the coach of his side.
'Jose,' he said. 'He's the manager who had more influence on me.
'Why? Because he was the one who impressed me most on his work ethic. He knew everything about the opposition, the strength, weakness.
'His detail was unbelievable; everything was so clear about what he wanted from each player. I don't know what happened at Chelsea but he always got the best out of his players.
'Arsene is more concentrated on his own team. He gives freedom to players to express themselves. It's a different style.'

I have heard for a long time that Viera never really liked Wenger and didn't credit any of his personal success to him.

Wenger is the classic example of absolute power corrupting absolutely. He became, or probably always was, arrogant...…...unlimited power then made him unanswerable, unaccountable & completely unteachable.

Give him a billion dollars and a decade and he'll build you that Ajax team that blew a 3 goal lead in the semi final at home in the CL. When I watched them, I thought of Wenger...put a bit of muscle into them and they collapse.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 am
Viera, who only played 2 seasons under Mourinho (who I despise btw)

The 39-year-old was speaking to the Times and was selecting a 'team-mates XI' when he was asked who he would pick as the coach of his side.
'Jose,' he said. 'He's the manager who had more influence on me.
'Why? Because he was the one who impressed me most on his work ethic. He knew everything about the opposition, the strength, weakness.
'His detail was unbelievable; everything was so clear about what he wanted from each player. I don't know what happened at Chelsea but he always got the best out of his players.
'Arsene is more concentrated on his own team. He gives freedom to players to express themselves. It's a different style.'

I have heard for a long time that Viera never really liked Wenger and didn't credit any of his personal success to him.

Wenger is the classic example of absolute power corrupting absolutely. He became, or probably always was, arrogant...…...unlimited power then made him unanswerable, unaccountable & completely unteachable.

Give him a billion dollars and a decade and he'll build you that Ajax team that blew a 3 goal lead in the semi final at home in the CL. When I watched them, I thought of Wenger...put a bit of muscle into them and they collapse.
Great quote from PV4, if he can put those two things together then he'll be a great manager for The Arsenal. We need to bring back some successful members from the past to take the club forward.

herbert

Post by herbert »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:26 am
I've never bought this revisionist "Wenger was lucky - he did fuck all" rubbish. It's the thinking of people consumed with hatred.

He was brilliant manager from 1996 - 2006 arguably still good until 2008..... you do not win what he did playing that style of football based purely on luck.

It's a myth that he didn't coach the defence. Romford, Ozil and a few other players have confirmed that Wenger did a lot of practicing set pieces in training, both attacking AND defensively.

The "he just told us to go out and play" comment has been a bit misconstrued. He didn't say that during training but rather as part of his prematch team talk as the work had been put in on the training pitch during the week. It was more a case of telling players if they saw the chance to try something then do it. Adams' goal against Everton at Highbury in 98 was a direct result of that freedom to take a chance according to Wrighty and had been practiced in training with the CH's.

Yes Wenger was lucky to have inherited the Back 5 and they were the foundation for his early success. But it is churlish and nonsensical to say he added nothing to that and was "lucky" to win what he won. Most successful managers have some form of luck at key junctures in their career. It does not make them lesser managers. Wenger had luck but he also had foresight and revolutionised the English game with the introduction of the two strong, powerful and technically adept central midfielders. That changed the game. Temporarily.....

What the AKB can't accept is that Wenger got it badly wrong in trying to adopt the Barca whore tikka takka style with lighter more mobile players. It didn't transfer from the slower less physical Spanish league to the PL and we ended up with the easily out muscled watered down tippy tappy.

Wenger then fell behind the rest of the top clubs because his ego could not let him accept he had got it so badly wrong and he persisted with The Project and keeping rubbish players long long past the point they were exposed as being not good enough.

Enjoyed reading that Db

I always said you are a well balanced mod: :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:26 am

That's a fair, well written post mate and hard to disagree with any of it.

I think the problem is some of us respond badly (for want of a better word) to all the bullshit we get fed like ''Wenger built your club'' ... or ''Wenger was a genius'' ... and stuff like ''Wenger has integrity and values etc.''

If only we could swap things round so that in the summer of 2006 we stayed at Highbury and it was Wenger who went somewhere else. I am sure we would all be in a much better position right now!