Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: Unai Emery

Post by herbert »

The league is now all about 6 teams (it might be 7 if Rafa spends well?)we looked like showing improvement in the league but blew it by only picking up 7 points from the last 21 very dissapointing ,we got to a final and didnt turn up very dissapointing so I can understand the knee jerk reaction to the end of our season but we have to give any new manager at least 2 seasons unless they take us backwards in the first season and Unai has not done that

Clash

Post by Clash »

herbert wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:04 am
The league is now all about 6 teams (it might be 7 if Rafa spends well?)we looked like showing improvement in the league but blew it by only picking up 7 points from the last 21 very dissapointing ,we got to a final and didnt turn up very dissapointing so I can understand the knee jerk reaction to the end of our season but we have to give any new manager at least 2 seasons unless they take us backwards in the first season and Unai has not done that
Good point herbert about how he hasnt taken us backwards.

I understand that’s not necessarily good enough but for the likes of le Grove to say appointing Emery has been a ‘’massive mistake’’, you would think we’d finished 10th or something. Only 6-7 weeks ago we looked on for third and a good bet for the EL.

The collapse was very disappointing as you say (and Emery is to blame for that as much as the players) but I will be far more disappointed if lessons are not learned from what happened. Thats what was so infuriating about Wenger for the last decade or more.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:17 am
herbert wrote:

I understand that’s not necessarily good enough but for the likes of le Grove to say appointing Emery has been a ‘’massive mistake’’, you would think we’d finished 10th or something. Only 6-7 weeks ago we looked on for third and a good bet for the EL.

The collapse was very disappointing as you say (and Emery is to blame for that as much as the players) but I will be far more disappointed if lessons are not learned from what happened. Thats what was so infuriating about Wenger for the last decade or more.
Exactly Clash,

He has given those he inherited a season to convince him / show him what they are made of. ( we already knew largely :censored: )
If he hasn’t decided that there are several not good enough to take us forward, and we start with largely the same squad of shit players then he is fair game.
If he doesn’t do anything to change our lack of defence and mentality he is also fair game.

He has it all to prove after a free pass on his first season to acclimatise.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:12 pm
Clash wrote:
herbert wrote:

Exactly Clash,

He has given those he inherited a season to convince him / show him what they are made of. ( we already knew largely :censored: )
If he hasn’t decided that there are several not good enough to take us forward, and we start with largely the same squad of shit players then he is fair game.
If he doesn’t do anything to change our lack of defence and mentality he is also fair game.

Not harsh and most certainly fair. :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Interesting idea about giving him until christmas, except if this year had been his second season most of us would have been relatively happy come christmas, it was as per most Wenger seasons post Christmas the wheels began to come off and at the end when it died :rubchin:

I'm thinking he gets a second season because if nothing else the argument seems to be who would replace him? A bit of deja vu but on the otherhand i'm also in the box with the 'no fucking idea who' group.

So we give him another season, everything starts swimmingly and the same thing happens next season, we'd still be in exactly the same position as now but with potentially even less money available.... things are looking grim going forward :rubchin:

Just putting this out there but Jose is available :suicide: :popcorn:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Clash wrote:

Le Grove is sticking to his guns from earlier in the year when he was championing Arteta. Since then, he has been clinging to any stat which would confirm his bias which is disappointing because I used to enjoy his blog.

I will say that Emery's collapse at the end of the year was incredibly disappointing, but it is difficult to say whether it was the players or his training/tactics. He is far from blameless, so I do think that he should shoulder some responsibility for it. That being said, he does have some awful sh*te to work with which none of the other top 6 have. The fact that we were only a few points off of 3rd suggests that it was a promising season.

Hopefully, he will be given some new tools to work with and be able to dump the overpaid crap out of the team.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I think it's a case of 'the jury is out for now' with Emery. He has to be given a second season, it's madness not to. We were very unlucky with injuries, if Bellend, Welbz and Holding had been fit most of the season we could and probably would have done a little better as we wouldn't have seen much of Mustafi, Elneny and Lichtsteiner/Jenks. However, Emery's team selection, tactics and constant formation changes leave a lot to be desired. There is no excuse for changing the team so often and I think he handled the end of season VERY badly.

At the end of the day, I know some people don't like to blame Wenger continuously but the prick destroyed Arsenal over the course of 10 years and that cannot be fixed in one season!! We have a squad of enormously overpaid players, most of whom are not good enough but who benefitted from Wenger's 'I'll buy loyalty' approach to giving undeserving players continually improved contracts. It's not actually Kr$nky holding the club back from under investment, we are hamstrung by FFP by the fucking wages we pay. It wouldn't matter if Silent Stan gave Emery 500m to spend, if we haven't generated that money we can't spend it!

We need to get rid of at least 6 players (in reality probably 12) to bring the wage bill back down to a level where we can start investing properly. Emery may not be the man to do it but for me, last season wasn't the real barometer of 'is Emery good enough'..........it's this summer that will tell us all we need to know. If the dross is still here next season, if Xhaka is still first choice, then Emery is NOT the man for Arsenal. :rubchin:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:12 pm
Exactly Clash,

exactly mate. he has to buy well regardless of his budget and offload the dross. he also has to bring the players through who we know have talent and integrate them into his system - ESR, chambers, Reiss etc

i expect 4th, an FA Cup semi-final and the EL win. and nothing less.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:29 am
I think it's a case of 'the jury is out for now' with Emery. He has to be given a second season, it's madness not to. We were very unlucky with injuries, if Bellend, Welbz and Holding had been fit most of the season we could and probably would have done a little better as we wouldn't have seen much of Mustafi, Elneny and Lichtsteiner/Jenks. However, Emery's team selection, tactics and constant formation changes leave a lot to be desired. There is no excuse for changing the team so often and I think he handled the end of season VERY badly.

At the end of the day, I know some people don't like to blame Wenger continuously but the prick destroyed Arsenal over the course of 10 years and that cannot be fixed in one season!! We have a squad of enormously overpaid players, most of whom are not good enough but who benefitted from Wenger's 'I'll buy loyalty' approach to giving undeserving players continually improved contracts. It's not actually Kr$nky holding the club back from under investment, we are hamstrung by FFP by the fucking wages we pay. It wouldn't matter if Silent Stan gave Emery 500m to spend, if we haven't generated that money we can't spend it!

We need to get rid of at least 6 players (in reality probably 12) to bring the wage bill back down to a level where we can start investing properly. Emery may not be the man to do it but for me, last season wasn't the real barometer of 'is Emery good enough'..........it's this summer that will tell us all we need to know. If the dross is still here next season, if Xhaka is still first choice, then Emery is NOT the man for Arsenal. :rubchin:

I'm sure he will be. It's apparent that he is Dick's first choice centre mid, because he's always in, even if everybody is fit and he rarely gets subbed. I've said it before, but this belief he has in Xhaka is probably the single biggest question mark I have about Emery and I have quite a few.

As for buying and selling players, I'm not sure how much control Dick has over squad matters. I fear that we've become a club where the suits running the show will make those decisions and that Dick will be the coach who has to use what he's given and will be the potential whipping boy.

We're in a right mess and I can't see it improving. Hope this Summer proves me wrong.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i think Dick played Xhaka for the same reason he played Mustafi - football is now a business and you can't let a 35 million quid player sit on the bench if you want to get something for him in the summer.

at least that is what i hope he was doing...

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

TeeCee wrote:

I would agree Xhaka is not suitable for DM role but he did prove a more effective LB/ LWB than either Monreal or Kolasinac. He still has a contribution to the squad and after the final has shown leadership qualities within the squad. He's signed a longer term contract so he's not going anywhere. With Chambers excelling in the DM role at Fulham then I'd start him there ahead of Xhaka and move Xhaka to the left with the squad we currently have. In addition it's not like Emery had many options for the midfield role with Xhaka's replacement being Elneny.

General

Post by General »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Wenger would have finished above them easily.

The unemployed French con artist somehow still commands a hypnotic trance over some Arsenal fans.
Why would any elite manager risk their reputation to come here and put up with a schizophrenic fanbase scarred by years of terminal decline and a transfer budget less than West Ham’s and Leicester’s.
Don’t be surprised if Emery declines to take up the optional year on his contract for pastures new. He earns half of Wenger’s salary and there are many clubs out there who would want his services.

General

Post by General »

TeeCee wrote:

Good post.
Up until April when we played Everton, we'd conceded the fewest number goals in the league in 2019 after City so Emery was doing something right. He cannot rotate without a significant drop in quality or fans throwing a hissy fit. A combination of a punishing fixture schedule, injuries and some poor officiating (Niles and Torreira red cards against Leicester and Spurs respectively) conspired to wreck our form. This is not to say Emery didn’t make mistakes. The squad is simply too poor and imbalanced to clearly single out the manager as one of the root causes.
What we have now is a fanbase full of extremists who think they can do a better job. The same fans who stood idly by and allowed Wenger to pillage the club for a decade and antagonised the small group of fans who decided to take action.

augie

Post by augie »

He who laughs last laughs the longest, Dick 8) :barscarf: :barscarf:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... y-heckled/

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Haven't seen it mentioned on this forum that Emery is sacking Burgess the head of performance after the cliff dropping end of the season performance of the team. Was he the same guy that Keown was slamming for taking over pre-match team talks in the last few games of the season?

The way we ended the season was very unlike Arsenal even under Wenger the team managed to pull together a few winning results that saw us over the line for the top 4 and win the cup in the last month of the season. I'm pleased that Emery has recognised that maybe the team around him needs a bit more of a shake up. Bould swapping for Freddie and the head of team performance being held to account. Noticeable that since Burgess joined we've failed to qualify for top 4.