Jose Antonio Reyes - RIP

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Jose Antonio Reyes - RIP

Post by Clash »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:22 pm
Always rated Jose and I think he was one of those footballers who could have had a glittering career, had circumstances panned out differently.

I got the feeling that he was a fairly simple boy, who found it hard to settle in a foreign country. There were also rumours about issues with Henry. The treatment meted out to him by United, whenever he played against them was an outrage and maybe I'm daft, but it seemed to affect how he felt about playing in England.

The Nevilles kicked him all over the park, but worst of all was the tackle on him by Scholes in the 2004 FA Cup semi. Jose had just come on as sub and almost immediately, Scholes slid, studs up, straight into the side of his ankle....clearly deliberately and nowhere near the ball. Jose had to go off. It was a straight red in my opinion, but obviously not for one of Fergie's boys :roll: . Not sure that Scholes was even booked.

RIP Jose.
Absolutely right Retro ... I'm all for a physical game but that tackle was a disgrace It was done to cause damage and the lack of a red card only encouraged the Man United players to keep doing it because they knew they would get away with it.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Herd wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:54 am
He was a great player but was badly let down by his colleagues at Arsenal .
After the Spanish National manager made racists remarks about Henry he was effectively sent to Coventry for not telling the Spanish coach where to go.
If you've seen the vid Reyes looks very embarrassed and laughs nervously as the manager rants on .
Pires never passed to him again and Henry never spoke to him after this event only Berkamp stood up for the lad .
As others have said he was a poor Gypsy kid and had suffered racism at hoe in Spain so I found it ironic.

RIP !
What a legend that man is!

I'm sure you are right about the Reyes / Henry thing too. Although I was puzzled to see Henry quoted as saying Reyes was ''an exceptional human being'' in his tribute. I know people have a tendency to overdo it after someone dies but it was an odd thing to say if there really was some resentment and animosity between them.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:01 pm
Herd wrote:
After the Spanish National manager made racists remarks about Henry he was effectively sent to Coventry for not telling the Spanish coach where to go.
If you've seen the vid Reyes looks very embarrassed and laughs nervously as the manager rants on .
Pires never passed to him again and Henry never spoke to him after this event only Berkamp stood up for the lad .
As others have said he was a poor Gypsy kid and had suffered racism at hoe in Spain so I found it ironic.

RIP !

I'm sure you are right about the Reyes / Henry thing too. Although I was puzzled to see Henry quoted as saying Reyes was ''an exceptional human being'' in his tribute. I know people have a tendency to overdo it after someone dies but it was an odd thing to say if there really was some resentment and animosity between them.

To attempt to diffuse the inevitable comments about their relationship ?

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

augie

Post by augie »

Ernie71 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:45 pm
This is shocking if true

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48513130

Yes shocking in that he should not be driving at that speed and his foolishness played a big part in his death. However I keep hearing/reading comments which seem to suggest that his death is less sad cos he caused it himself, and that is unacceptable imo - there is no way anyone can defend him driving that fast so I wont do that, but what I will say is that we have seen countless incidents of (mostly) famous people driving their top of the range cars at speeds way beyond what they should, but in those cases the drivers were lucky that that either walked away without crashing, or they were nabbed by cops before anything could have happened.
This is a tragic situation where a 35 year old died way too young and left 3 young kids behind him, and tragedy seems more personal to me cos of his time with AFC, but the cause of it doesn't dilute the tragedy for me

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clash wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:01 pm
Herd wrote:

RIP !

Herd is right about this. I also saw the video and read reports that Henry was seriously pissed off about what was said and for Reyes not pulling the national coach up. I seem to remember that the coach referred to Henry as "that black shit", or something like that. Jose clearly looked uncomfortable, but was what, 21 or 22 years old and it's far from easy to have a go at your national manager at any age, let alone when so young.
For what it's worth, it was always rumoured that Henry didn't get on with Van Persie either and as others have said, I suspect there was an arrogance about the man and an unwillingness to share the limelight.

I don't want to question Henry's reaction to the tragedy, but can we really expect him to say anything too different ?

Bottom line is, it's horribly tragic and Jose should have had a high profile, successful career, but circumstance prevented it.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:

RIP !
That's not the complete story. Henry took a dislike to Reyes before the Spanish coach incident and referred to Reyes as a gypsy. The story at the time was that Reyes complained about how Henry had treated him since his arrival at Arsenal and the Spanish coaxh was reacting to that conplaint. Also Keown was the player that stood up for Reyes the most. Keown tended to be the calming voice of reason in that squad.

Herd

Post by Herd »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 pm
Herd wrote:

RIP !
That's not the complete story. Henry took a dislike to Reyes before the Spanish coach incident and referred to Reyes as a gypsy. The story at the time was that Reyes complained about how Henry had treated him since his arrival at Arsenal and the Spanish coaxh was reacting to that conplaint. Also Keown was the player that stood up for Reyes the most. Keown tended to be the calming voice of reason in that squad.
I hadn't heard that one but I do know that he was called Gypsy,It make sense however ,I thought that was because he actually was a Gypsy . As much as we revere Henry as a player as a person he wasn't always very nice and definitely had an ego the size of he Eiffel tower . I liked Reyes and seeing him being getting shunned on the pitch week after week made me livid ! Lastly some of those pay motorways in Spain are deserted and are like racetracks ,Ive driven a hired Porche 911 much faster than 135 and I'm not normally a speed merchant !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:37 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 pm
Herd wrote:

RIP !
I hadn't heard that one but I do know that he was called Gypsy,It make sense however ,I thought that was because he actually was a Gypsy . As much as we revere Henry as a player as a person he wasn't always very nice and definitely had an ego the size of he Eiffel tower . I liked Reyes and seeing him being getting shunned on the pitch week after week made me livid ! Lastly some of those pay motorways in Spain are deserted and are like racetracks ,Ive driven a hired Porche 911 much faster than 135 and I'm not normally a speed merchant !
I think he actually did have Romany ancestry. Not 100% on that tbh but sure I read it somewhere.

But yeah his treatment was awful at times. I remember Reyes giving Henry an assist and he ran over to celebrate by throwing his arm over Henry's shoulder and Henry peeled Reyes' hand off his shoulder with real and obvious disdain like it was contaminated.

Also there was a story that part of Henry's dislike for Reyes was because Reyes looked like he was going to get a lot more game time than Bergkamp and Henry wanted to play with Bergkamp.

Agreed on Henry as a person. He was a superb player but something about him is kind of unlikeable to a certain extent. I recall an interview where Petit said that in France no one hates Henry, but equally no one actually likes Henry.

Herd

Post by Herd »

You mentioned Keown being a force in the dressing room ,in Ta's days that wasn't so they ruthlessly took the piss out of him calling him Bob after his habit of bobbing his head every time GG spoke !
I can imagine him being a leader though as so many of them were alpha males ,something we are utterly devoid of now although Socrates and Torriera have some steel !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:41 pm
You mentioned Keown being a force in the dressing room ,in Ta's days that wasn't so they ruthlessly took the piss out of him calling him Bob after his habit of bobbing his head every time GG spoke !
I can imagine him being a leader though as so many of them were alpha males ,something we are utterly devoid of now although Socrates and Torriera have some steel !
No I didn't say Keown was a force in the dressing room, but rather the voice of reason, the peacemaker.

Wenger also asked Keown to look after Le Sulk Anelka when he was feeling homesick and isolated in the Arsenal dressing room.

augie

Post by augie »

Would have been 36 years old yesterday :( :(

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -birthday/

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

That is really moving, incredibly sad for his wife and children. :(

augie

Post by augie »

At a shit time for all Gooners, it might be no harm to remember the family of jose Antonio reyes at this tough time (the first Christmas is always hard), and I hope they (and jose himself) will have enjoyed this bit of cheer

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -promises/

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

That fucking thunderbolt he scored in the FA Cup against Chelsea would still be travelling now if it hadn’t hit the back of the net. Fucking rocket.