Bent (allegedly) Platini arrested

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
The Arsenal Way

Bent (allegedly) Platini arrested

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Former UEFA President Michel Platini is arrested by French anti-corruption police over the controversial awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.
Since the vote in favour of Qatar, of the 24 members of the executive committee (comex) of FIFA on that date, 16 have been struck off, suspended or remain under investigation.

France’s National Finance Office (the PNF) are believed to be particularly interested in a lunch organised on November 23, 2010 – 10 days before the awarding of the 2022 World Cup.

The lunch involved Platini, then-French president Nicolas Sarkozy, the current Emir of Qatar Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani and Sheikh Hamad Bin Jassem, then-Prime Minister and foreign minister of Qatar.

Platini has claimed of that lunch: ‘I knew I was going to vote for Qatar before lunch and I went to see Nicolas Sarkozy to tell him. I did not know that the Qataris would be there.’

He has admitted he first planned to vote for the United States as World Cup hosts before being convinced by Qatar’s bid.

Le Monde claim the PNF also want to speak to former FIFA president Sepp Blatter, despite having already questioned him as a witness in April 2017.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... d-Cup.html

:lol: :barscarf:

Nos89

Re: Bent (allegedly) Platini arrested

Post by Nos89 »

Slow news day on the Gooner forum

The Arsenal Way

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:53 am

Well. It's not that unusual nowadays. Seeing as the better posters have left.
You could always visit www.caughtoffside.com for your news.
Then again, it would mean that only 12 posters remain loyal here.

Clash

Post by Clash »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:03 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Ah thanks - on behalf of all of us crappy posters that are still hanging around :D

I cant stand Platini. Great player but there is something about people like him and Sebastian Coe that i find utterly f-cking repellent.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Everyone that has worked in an administrative capacity in UEFA and FIFA at anytime over the last 20 or so years should be thrown in prison. :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nice use of "allegedly" in the thread title btw.... :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Throw the C.U.N.T in a 6 ft by 8ft cell with BIG BUBBA The BACDOOR MAN! :D :barscarf:

fron BBC:
Former Uefa president Michel Platini is being questioned by French anti-corruption investigators over the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

Platini, 63, was head of European football's governing body until being banned in 2015 for ethics breaches.

The former France midfielder and three-time Ballon d'Or winner has always denied any wrongdoing.

Qatar beat bids from USA, Australia, South Korea and Japan in 2010.

Platini is in custody and being questioned in Nanterre, a suburb in western Paris.

Officials have been investigating alleged corruption connected to the 2018 and 2022 World Cups for the past two years and were reported to have interviewed Sepp Blatter, the former president of world governing body Fifa, in 2017.

In a statement, Platini's lawyers reiterated he had not been arrested and has "expressed himself serenely and precisely, answering all the questions, including those on the conditions for the awarding of Euro 2016, and has provided useful explanations".

They added: "He has nothing to do with this event which doesn't concern him at all. He is absolutely confident about what's next."

Fifa said it is aware of Platini's questioning, but added it is "not in a position to comment further".

Platini was banned over a 2m Swiss francs (£1.3m) "disloyal payment" from Blatter, who was also banned from football for his part in the matter. Blatter has also always denied any wrongdoing.

Platini's eight-year ban was later reduced to four on appeal and will expire in October 2019.

Qatar's bid team has been previously accused of corruption, but was cleared following a two-year Fifa inquiry.

However, former Football Association chairman Greg Dyke told BBC Radio 4's PM programme that the decision to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup was a "bizarre" one.

"I think anyone who was involved in that decision has to be questioned because it was such a bizarre decision," he said.

"It was against the advice of their own technical committee, who said they didn't think it would be safe - and as we now know they have had to move it to the winter to make it safe. And Qatar didn't meet all sorts of criteria, so it was always a very odd decision.

"I like Michel Platini. I thought he was a good leader for Uefa and he was a very likeable, charismatic man.

"In some ways it's sad that this is being dragged up again but if you look at the wider picture of why was that World Cup awarded to Qatar, there are still so many questions to be answered."

Analysis
BBC sports editor Dan Roan

This is the result of two years of work by French investigators from the country's serious financial crime unit, who - just like their counterparts in the US and Switzerland - have been looking into allegations of corruption connected to Fifa's shock decision to award Qatar the World Cup in 2022.

Given that Blatter has been interviewed as part of the same case, it is no surprise that Platini is also now facing questions.

It is understood these will focus on a lunch Platini attended in Paris just days before that hugely controversial vote in 2010, with the then French president Nicolas Sarkozy at his official residence and the Qatari head of state.

It has long been suspected that the prospect of important bilateral trade deals between the two nations, and the subsequent Qatari takeover of Paris St-Germain may have been used as leverage to get Sarkozy's support.

Platini has always denied that was why he changed his mind to vote for Qatar (rather than the US).

Given how much time has now passed since the 2010 vote, and how much has changed at Fifa, there seems no real prospect that this latest development could affect Qatar's status as hosts, even if Platini is charged.

Fifa's own 2014 internal investigation effectively cleared Qatar of corruption, and stripping it of the event at this stage could leave it open to legal action.

But yet again it does serve as a reminder of the scandal and suspicion that surrounds the saga of how Qatar won the right to stage the event.

Back in 2015, when still one of the sport's most powerful figures, Platini told me he had "no regrets" about voting for Qatar, despite the allegations of corruption and human rights abuses directed against the country, and the havoc a winter tournament would play with the European game he represented at the time.

He may feel differently now.

Ohhh! How I Laughed at that last line! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Corrupt ex-UEFA president, who was sacked for being corrupt, is being investigated for further alleged corruption.
I'm probably one the loyal 12 posters you are referring too. Thank you for suggesting that site I have visited it but I prefer Arsenal chat on here.
The only connection Platini has with Arsenal is that he was manager of the French national team when George Graham's Arsenal beat them 2-0. He got taught a footballing lesson that night, it seems that not only thing Graham taught him :D

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:12 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Corrupt ex-UEFA president, who was sacked for being corrupt, is being investigated for further alleged corruption.
I'm probably one the loyal 12 posters you are referring too. Thank you for suggesting that site I have visited it but I prefer Arsenal chat on here.
The only connection Platini has with Arsenal is that he was manager of the French national team when George Graham's Arsenal beat them 2-0. He got taught a footballing lesson that night, it seems that not only thing Graham taught him :D
At one point in that game didn't we have 11 Englishmen on the pitch?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Red Snapper wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 am
Nos89 wrote:
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

We sure did, Spider went off at some point and it turned into England v France. There was about 20,000 in for that one which was a bit better than we got for the Aussies in the early 80s.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:39 pm
Red Snapper wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 am
Nos89 wrote:
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

We sure did, Spider went off at some point and it turned into England v France. There was about 20,000 in for that one which was a bit better than we got for the Aussies in the early 80s.
Bould came on for O'Leary making it 11 Englishmen on the pitch. I think I heard mooted that they should be given England caps. Perry Groves and Martin Hayes with a lovely curling 20 yearder scored the goals that secured the victory. After this game I was certain that we would win the league that season. Beating an international team with a decent reputation was a marker for that team. Doubt it will happen nowadays because of the multi-cultural nature of the Premier League.

Herd

Post by Herd »

He was a cheat as a player so it follows he cheats off the pitch too .
He HATED the English teams so fuck him I hate he goes to jail !

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Absolutely jail the fucker.

Just hope there is some real evidence out there to make it possible. Mind you the French won't bother their arse with it.

The Arsenal Way

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 pm
Nice use of "allegedly" in the thread title btw.... :D :wink:
It finally sunk in with some of us.....................you bully :D

The Arsenal Way

Nos89 wrote:
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Ok, ok precious :wink:
I forgot to add the obligatory emoticon for the snowflakes, flouncing ones. :D
Glad to see your contributionS :lol:

:barscarf: :barscarf: :D