The Arsenal captain 2019/20

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: The Arsenal captain 2019/20

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:22 pm
Thanks for posting the article Herbert, a great read. Like most on here, I knew about the Wally Barnes injury, but not the injury disaster that beset the whole side.

My Dad was at the final and has talked many times about Barnes having to go off and with no subs back then, we played the lion's share of the game with 10 men. From memory, I think Wally had a leg fracture, which may even have knackered his career (can't be entirely certain of the last bit).

On another note, my Dad and his brother were demobbed from their respective regiments at the end of the war and decided to buy season tickets for the 1946/47 season. Upper West, Block Z (he can still tell you the row and seat numbers !).....cost £5. 7s. 6d or £5 / 7/6.....or for those that need help, £5 . 37 1/2p....for the season !! About 7 or 8 years ago, I told him that given the cost of my ST, that amount would now buy me 10 mins of just one match !!

The Old Man is 97 now and still talks more sense about football than most people you meet.....(I resisted the urge to say "on here"....oops, said it :wink: ).
Brilliant post mate. My dad too gave me the gift of The Arsenal and I've passed that to my kids. That's how football should be. I despise fuckers that pick the current most successful team to "support".

Clash

Post by Clash »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:22 pm
Thanks for posting the article Herbert, a great read. Like most on here, I knew about the Wally Barnes injury, but not the injury disaster that beset the whole side.

My Dad was at the final and has talked many times about Barnes having to go off and with no subs back then, we played the lion's share of the game with 10 men. From memory, I think Wally had a leg fracture, which may even have knackered his career (can't be entirely certain of the last bit).

On another note, my Dad and his brother were demobbed from their respective regiments at the end of the war and decided to buy season tickets for the 1946/47 season. Upper West, Block Z (he can still tell you the row and seat numbers !).....cost £5. 7s. 6d or £5 / 7/6.....or for those that need help, £5 . 37 1/2p....for the season !! About 7 or 8 years ago, I told him that given the cost of my ST, that amount would now buy me 10 mins of just one match !!

The Old Man is 97 now and still talks more sense about football than most people you meet.....(I resisted the urge to say "on here"....oops, said it :wink: ).
Lovely post Retro.

Get your dad to sign up on here mate ... I'm sure both you and he have some fantastic memories to share and some great stories to tell us during a quiet summer :barscarf:
herbert wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:51 pm
Delighted that others got the same pleasure from reading that article as me such a shame that without that injury crisis the double was on 9 yrs before the vermin :banghead:

Good on your dad 97 :shock: thats fantastic for a man ,hopefully your from the same gene pool :lol:
Until you posted that Herbert I had no idea we'd come so close to doing the double before Spurs. I knew Man United lost the FA cup final in 1957 after they'd just won the title but nothing about us.

Surprising how we didnt do it in the 1930s giving how many titles and FA Cups we won in that decade. Same with Leeds, Liverpool and a lesser extent Everton in the 70s and 80s (excluding 1986 of course :roll: )

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

It's nice to be recognised as having the potential to be a captain.

Really hope this guy has an injury free season so we can get a proper look at him at CB.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... shere-news

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:50 pm
It's nice to be recognised as having the potential to be a captain.

Really hope this guy has an injury free season so we can get a proper look at him at CB.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... shere-news
sadly if he has one or two decent seasons he'll be off to a more ambitious club

Herd

Post by Herd »

Oh Captain my Captain ! I yearn for one ,proper.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Herd wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:24 pm
Oh Captain my Captain ! I yearn for one ,proper.
My choice would be Holding,before the injury he was playing well and you could see how vocal ihe was becoming as his confidence was growing

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Very likely to be Xhaka

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 pm
Very likely to be Xhaka
He shouldn't even be at the club, let alone be captain, he's f*cking Swiss ffs.

:banghead:

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

Captain Sokratis

He's a Tall, Calm, BEAST. good temperment, Smart & Quick thinking

like Mertesacker ( with his positioning but he's not turtle slow, he's got some pace)

He spent this entire season making up for INEPT Mustafi's erroneous MISSED Slide tackles

which got Neither BALL nor MAN, leaving Enemy strikers free to 1on1 our Keeper.

He was smart enough to learn that Mustafi was Error prone, Prepare himself mentally & Physically for the INSTANT

That Mustafi could make this error, & positioned himself close enough to him so that Had he need to make a 'Recovery Tackle'

Because of Mustafi's error, he'd be within range of making a PROPER TACKLE or shepherding the Striker/Winger to the Corner flag,

away form our Keeper.

He also had an apprentice brought in, an understudy that he could guide, 6ft2 Mavrapanos who honestly was not there when we needed him, but

like Sokratis, he doesn't look like a player that would shy away from a fight, has a Serious countenance, Professional look
[ Basically he don,t look like a Scared B!t#h, Jenkinson on the other hand . . . . . .]
so either we sell him or we keep him, & I hope we do if he improves & becomes consistent, Mertesacker's HEIGHT was a valued asset on Headers & Corners, keeping trouble Strikers at Bay, Wenger used to like to buy too many Short pretty players, even in defense.

Back to Sokratis, He man manager young defenders & Mustafi's errors at the back, & Guarded Leno as best he could with excellent Proper Defending!
[ That Red Card for Salah was a DIVE & U & all of Liverpool Know it, & he had to take 1 red card,,,just 1 this season for a recovery tackle on a striker that was a smart and quick as Salah, Because of Coarse, Mustafi did a poor job on his side of a High Line & Tackled 'AIR' leaving Sokratis & 35 yards between him & the Keeper, as Defender you always try to either ENGAGE, take the BALL, or guide the attacker away from goal. Either It wasn't Sokratis's Error, he stood his ground well whole season.]

Finally-ish, a Captain should command respect, with his very presence & the way he carries himself, he should even have the POWER to Intimidate a soft opponent, not physically but be a good Judge of Character, have a cool head in the most Explosive situations.
Jack Wilshere was a Real Gooner, but he was a HOT-HEAD!!
Mertesacker was a good captain, good demeanor, Slow in the Later years, but still Smart with his body positioning.

Sokratis is of that ILK, he Smart, thinks Quickly & Reacts quickly ON THE GO!

Xhaka is NO. . . JUST NO...he does NOT think quickly, he does not think Fast & Move well in pressure situations,

& Xhaka makes mistakes in such situation, UNFORCED, Without even the Pressure of 'MAN ON',

3 yards of Space all around Xhaka & he still makes a mistake, errant pass to a Portugal player who gives the ball the Christiano Ronaldo

to score a HATRICK Goal against his Own Country, Switzerland.

& Then he has the audacity, to say, & post online " Nothing you can do about that!, Its Christiano Ronaldo!" Fan boying out, just because they look like models.

He is no Captain, a Captain mans up & admits his mistakes & fixes them, Xhaka cannot Lead a team when he GETS CONFUSED Easily under pressure. LIKE A DEER IN HEAD LIGHTS :shock: [ his errant passes, 5 second pauses with the ball & DIRECT ASSISTS for Enemy Strikers shows like MENTAL WEAKNESS,
a Captain should have a Strong mind, Should be Cunning, & Witty,Focused, Xhaka's minds WONDERS...]

I sincerely hope we get to sell him for 55Mil to AreyoukiddingMe FC!

So yeah Sokratis for Captain, cool under pressure like Seedorf, a Mountain that the team can Stand on, without looking back.

#COYG

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 pm
Very likely to be Xhaka
He shouldn't even be at the club, let alone be captain, he's f*cking Swiss ffs.

If it was down to me i would have him out of the club the next day

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Emery on the captaincy -
We have players with the capacity [to be captains]. One is Granit. Last year also he played so much as a captain, and was like a captain in the dressing room.

“We also have Mesut and Nacho, and also other players, they can take this position also. I want from three to five captains in the team.”

Could be a Wenger quote that :banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:01 am
Emery on the captaincy -
We have players with the capacity [to be captains]. One is Granit. Last year also he played so much as a captain, and was like a captain in the dressing room.

“We also have Mesut and Nacho, and also other players, they can take this position also. I want from three to five captains in the team.”

Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss!
No no no no nooooooooooooooo!

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Clash wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 am
rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:01 am
Emery on the captaincy -

Meet the new boss,
Same as the old boss!
No no no no nooooooooooooooo!
Mesut? Nacho? Granit? ffs wasn't that fannyhole mystify capt the other night?
I would have all of these ringpieces out the door..captains :shock: I think we know how this window will go lads..none of the shite will be shipped out that much is certain.Next season is gonna be painful.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I think il just delete all Arsenal apps and forget the entire season .Xhaka was worse than useless in all but a few games last year and hasn't the pace to survive premieship football,hes a liabilty not an asset one of many we havent got rid of . Emerys statement about the pool of captains was indeed Wengeresque and has made me wish for hibernation . Wake me up when we are a football team again ,lm done.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The last three (if we are not including Comedy Fucking Two Arses obviously) I would make captain are Xhakatard, Ozil, and Monreal ffs. :|

I dunno. Maybe Xhakatard is a great bloke in the dressing room but he is appallingly shit as a footballer. A captain should be a leader but also should be a baller to some degree that can cut it on the pitch at the top level. Watching Xhakatard do his oil tanker turn after yet again being caught square-on, I have to admit the last words that pop into my mind are "top level".

The words "fucking useless cùnt" do come hammering into my mind and out of my mouth though. :censored: