VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: VAR

Post by Nos89 »

On the theme that VAR might be manipulated to get the result certain authorities want, Brazil vs Argentina threw up a new one. I didn't watch the game but here are reports VAR wasn't used when it should've been and I've read today that the communication system between the ref and the VAR officials was intercepted by the secret service police protecting the Brazilian president who attended the match. Seems like an absolute bizarre reason if true.
Similar to France v Cameron at the womens world cup, Brazil the host nation got the benefit of the doubt in VAR non-decisions. So, don't be surprised if Qatar win the 2022 World Cup if VAR is still in use.

augie

Post by augie »

Just accept that referee's and linemen make mistakes, scrap var, and lets make it a proper game again 8) By all means keep goal line technology, but var leads people to think that it is a fool proof, non corrupt system that will be right 100% of the time, when the reality is that it is nowhere near right and will cause as many problems as it cures

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:27 pm
Just accept that referee's and linemen make mistakes, scrap var, and lets make it a proper game again 8) By all means keep goal line technology, but var leads people to think that it is a fool proof, non corrupt system that will be right 100% of the time, when the reality is that it is nowhere near right and will cause as many problems as it cures
Agree with every word augie !

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Goal line technology is more than enough, VAR takes ages & still the decisions are often debatable. :evil:

Fouls & offside in the penalty area is about as far as it should go if you really must have VAR, if any of this happens before the play enters the box this should be ignored, anyway the referee linesman should already have pulled up play for incidents outside the area. :cussing: :cussing:

It takes ages as well, that England womens penalty appeal was farcical. Seemed almost 5 minutes? :rubchin:

Even Hurling has had Hawkeye the last few seasons, but VAR would totally destroy that game if it ever came in. They are already clamping down on rough tackles, the sort you got in winter football back in the '60's & '70's, shoulder barges, sandwich tackles are proper old school & should never have been abolished! :box:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

American soccer so it doesn't really matter but another truly shit VAR decision. The forward is put through and the keeper comes out, the forward gets a shot away as the keeper slides into him but the keeper blocks it. There is contact due to the keeper's challenge and the keeper stays down squealing like a bitch. Ball ends up with the kid who floats the ball into the top corner. GOAL

But then VAR gets involved and rule that the forward clipped the keeper's foot after he shot as the keeper slid into him - no goal - bollox. It's fuck.ed

SSN have the clip below from a better angle but here it is the "mis-goal" :lol:

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/ ... s-mls-goal

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 pm
American soccer so it doesn't really matter but another truly shit VAR decision. The forward is put through and the keeper comes out, the forward gets a shot away as the keeper slides into him but the keeper blocks it. There is contact due to the keeper's challenge and the keeper stays down squealing like a bitch. Ball ends up with the kid who floats the ball into the top corner. GOAL

But then VAR gets involved and rule that the forward clipped the keeper's foot after he shot as the keeper slid into him - no goal - bollox. It's fuck.ed

That's disgraceful mate! VAR really is fucking up football.

Yesterday in the WWC there was another shocker. I know you couldn't get many games less important than a 3rd place pay-off in a women's game but it was another example of what a piece of shit VAR is. An equaliser for England's women was initially given with the ref right on the scene ... but after the celebrations VAR poked its nose in and called it back to be reviewed for handball. The replays were inconclusive and at worst it was ball to hand but the ref still ruled it out ... after taking ages to decide :roll:

I'm hoping that the WWC will prove to be a useful guinea pig for how VAR should and should not work ... but I'm not holding my breath that VAR will ever become a good thing. The VAR people are mini-refs and we all know these self-important fuckers revel in interfering and do anything they can to spoil something.

Clash

Post by Clash »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

VAR will destroy the game. :cry: :cussing: :banghead: :box:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:48 pm
VAR will destroy the game. :cry: :cussing: :banghead: :box:
Absofuckinglutely

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:21 am
Jock Gooner wrote:

Yesterday in the WWC there was another shocker. I know you couldn't get many games less important than a 3rd place pay-off in a women's game but it was another example of what a piece of shit VAR is. An equaliser for England's women was initially given with the ref right on the scene ... but after the celebrations VAR poked its nose in and called it back to be reviewed for handball. The replays were inconclusive and at worst it was ball to hand but the ref still ruled it out ... after taking ages to decide :roll:

I'm hoping that the WWC will prove to be a useful guinea pig for how VAR should and should not work ... but I'm not holding my breath that VAR will ever become a good thing. The VAR people are mini-refs and we all know these self-important fuckers revel in interfering and do anything they can to spoil something.

Along with the absolute clusterfuck they have made of the offside rule, fifa's bolloxing around with the handball rule is so fcuked up that no fcuker can understand it - to my knowledge it no longer matters if it's ball to hand or hand to ball, cos they are all called handball nowadays :evil:

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:22 pm
Clash wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Along with the absolute clusterfuck they have made of the offside rule, fifa's bolloxing around with the handball rule is so fcuked up that no fcuker can understand it - to my knowledge it no longer matters if it's ball to hand or hand to ball, cos they are all called handball nowadays :evil:
Indeed ... and as a result you now see an increasing number of defenders doing that ridiculous looking thing of holding their hands behind their backs like they're wearing handcuffs when trying to block a cross or shot

Modern football :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

I think it was good of your wife to tell you about that mate. I'm trusting her enjoyment of the game of "soccerball thingy" did not delay your dinner? :D :wink:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:11 am
Clash wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

I think it was good of your wife to tell you about that mate. I'm trusting her enjoyment of the game of "soccerball thingy" did not delay your dinner? :D :wink:
haha :oops:
errr yeah you're right mate I was told about it while I was out the back breaking up some rocks with my bare hands :lol:

Actually I happen to live with 4 females :banghead: ... who I think see it as some mini triumph that I watched an entire woman's world cup match having moaned about it so much! I'm pretty sure like a lot of women this summer, they're all temporarily feigning interest in the game but I tried to burst their bubble a bit by telling them I was only watching because Alex Greenwood was playing. Which was a good enough reason I think :wink:

P.S, fuck VAR!

Clash

Post by Clash »

Fucking VAR again ruling out an injury time winner for City against Spurs :banghead: :banghead:

This after lengthy celebrations ... including myself :evil:

Fucking despise this thing! You just cannot celebrate goals anymore.

augie

Post by augie »

And either var was blind and didn't see lamella drag rodri to the ground from citeeh's corner in the first half, or the wanky arrogant cuntin ref decided that he was right and var couldn't get involved - either way I say again that it is a fcuked up system/notion :censored: :evil: :evil: :evil: