ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Midz »

When we so urgently need new defenders what is the point of signing someone and sending them back on loan for a year?

Sure he might be a good prospect for the future so sign him in the future but we need good defenders now FFS!!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:07 am
:high5: :wink:

BBC Football Gossip column:

Unai Emery insists Arsenal are working to bring in "three or four" players before the start of the new season. (Independent)

Defender Laurent Koscielny, 33, faces showdown talks and being docked pay after he refused to go on Arsenal's pre-season USA tour. (L'Equipe)

Midfielder Granit Xhaka is in pole position to replace Koscielny as the Arsenal captain. (Telegraph)

:lol: This has got to be the funniest thing of all.

Although, it's not really funny at all. Every now and then, there's a very stark reminder of how far we have fallen. If this happens, it will be one of the starkest reminders of all. :suicide:

augie

Post by augie »

Forget for a minute whether or not we want the club to buy him, but I'm wondering if any fans believe that we will make a real serious effort (not a taking the piss bid) to buy zaha, and if we could actually sign him :rubchin:
Again I am ignoring my own views on him as a player, but am wondering if the club ever really seriously wanted him - he wants to join us no doubt, so I'm wondering if the low bid was a way for the club to cover themselves by claiming that they made a bid within their budget, and try to con zaha by letting him think that they wanted him but couldn't afford him. Maybe I am way wrong on this and we do actually want him and will now make serious efforts to sign him after telling palace he wants out, but if we persue him to the point that we sign less defender's than we need, or cheaper/shittier players than we need, then I will be pissed

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm
Forget for a minute whether or not we want the club to buy him, but I'm wondering if any fans believe that we will make a real serious effort (not a taking the piss bid) to buy zaha, and if we could actually sign him :rubchin:
Again I am ignoring my own views on him as a player, but am wondering if the club ever really seriously wanted him - he wants to join us no doubt, so I'm wondering if the low bid was a way for the club to cover themselves by claiming that they made a bid within their budget, and try to con zaha by letting him think that they wanted him but couldn't afford him. Maybe I am way wrong on this and we do actually want him and will now make serious efforts to sign him after telling palace he wants out, but if we persue him to the point that we sign less defender's than we need, or cheaper/shittier players than we need, then I will be pissed
I bloody well hope not. He's shite!

augie

Post by augie »

The sun are claiming that manure have bid £62m for auba - that wouldn't buy his left foot imo and they should be told to come back when they serious about buying him. They are looking for £75m for the embarrassingly fat lukaku (anyone see the photos of him at manure's training camp ? :shock: ), and they think we should sell last season's top scorer for less ?? Get the fcuk off :censored: :cussing:

augie

Post by augie »

Midz wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm
I bloody well hope not. He's shite!

I know most fans feel that way, but my question is whether you think the club are gonna make serious effort to buy him, or if they have no intention of trying to sign him

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Whilst we realise that our defence is vulnerable. It seems to me that Emery may well be giving Holding, Chambers, Medley and Sokratis as well as Mavropanos the opportunity to prove themselves before he goes into the market for an established CB. Holding was definitely becoming more dominant before his injury. Chambers was Fulham's player of the season and sokratis was our most consistent CB last season. Together with Holding, they showed signs of being a solid CB combination. The left side is clearly a problem area and Tierney would be an improvement.
The club chasing Zaha is a significant move. He improved massively last season finally delivering on the precocious talent Fergie saw in him all those years ago. His ability to win penalities contributed 8-10 goals. I wouldn't be too surprised if the club cashed in on Auba after last season, although I sincerely hope they do not sell him to Manure. It's hardly a step forward for him as they are at the same level as we are.
Once we've got the players in that we have been strongly linked with i.e. Saliba, Tierney, Everton Soares and Ceballos, hopefully the clearout will commence.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 am
Whilst we realise that our defence is vulnerable. It seems to me that Emery may well be giving Holding, Chambers, Medley and Sokratis as well as Mavropanos the opportunity to prove themselves before he goes into the market for an established CB. Holding was definitely becoming more dominant before his injury. Chambers was Fulham's player of the season and sokratis was our most consistent CB last season. Together with Holding, they showed signs of being a solid CB combination. The left side is clearly a problem area and Tierney would be an improvement.
The club chasing Zaha is a significant move. He improved massively last season finally delivering on the precocious talent Fergie saw in him all those years ago. His ability to win penalities contributed 8-10 goals. I wouldn't be too surprised if the club cashed in on Auba after last season, although I sincerely hope they do not sell him to Manure. It's hardly a step forward for him as they are at the same level as we are.
Once we've got the players in that we have been strongly linked with i.e. Saliba, Tierney, Everton Soares and Ceballos, hopefully the clearout will commence.
Have a feeling it will be Auba to Man utd and we get Zaha....one of those last minute deals

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:11 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 am
Have a feeling it will be Auba to Man utd and we get Zaha....one of those last minute deals
Christ I hope not. Zaha is utter shit. :roll:

Naki_Gooner

Post by Naki_Gooner »

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

Surely if we are going to cash in on Auba it wouldn't be to buy someone like Zaha, it would be to strengthen the team elsewhere like the defence/midfield. Even accepting that Zaha is younger it doesn't make sense to sell last seasons top scorer and use the money to buy someone effectively in the same position who is less proven!

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I think we’ll sign Zaha.
Kroenke would be very foolish to say what he’s saying if they didn’t back it up. They are a lot of things....but I’m not sure very foolish is one of them! First he said we’ll be excited, then he said we don’t only have 45m to spend. I think we have a fairly big signing incoming.

Zaha is a good player, just because he failed at Yahnited doesn’t mean he’s shit, we’ve signed plenty of good players over the years who struggled at other clubs. Personally I’d be delighted to sign a winger who can go past defenders for fun, and he can. Arsenal are so predictable and a good winger changes so much.
I just hope we sign a couple of defenders. I get the Saliba signing and loaning him back, he’s very promising but needs another season under his belt. We’ve often criticised the club for not taking the jump for a youngster, he’s not ready to step into the poisoned chalice of a CB place at Arsenal.

augie

Post by augie »

Skooner wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 am
Surely if we are going to cash in on Auba it wouldn't be to buy someone like Zaha, it would be to strengthen the team elsewhere like the defence/midfield. Even accepting that Zaha is younger it doesn't make sense to sell last seasons top scorer and use the money to buy someone effectively in the same position who is less proven!

I personally wouldn't piss too much money on Zaharias either, but let's be clear here and acknowledge that they are not the same position - zaha is a natural winger, whilst auba is being played out of position on the wing cos he is a striker.
Let me also say that zaha is 26 years old and coming in to what is effectively his prime years, whilst auba is 30 years old and heading into his declining years.

All that being said, I personally would prefer to sell auba abroad (something that I would be very comfortable doing), but if I was to sell him to manure I wouldn't do so for anything less than £85m straight up (no instalments shite for a 30 year old).
Secondly zaha wouldn't be in my top 3 choices if I was gonna buy a winger - I do like the idea of having a proper winger with pace that can dribble past full backs and set up chances for our strikers, cos lard arse with his ridiculous step overs, and the Armenian pussy don't tick the boxes for me. On no planet can I see zaha being value for money, and even less so when that money would be better used filling other needs. I think Fraser is far, far from what should be the required quality to play for our club, but at £20m it would be a more sensible purchase than zaha (although I think zaha is miles better than him if I'm honest)

Herd

Post by Herd »

If Emery wants to have faith in our younger CB,s then why oh fucking why is he playing mustfuckup in any pre season friendlies. Doesn't make sense to me . I'm convinced we will sell aubameyang but if we get zaha we should throw mustafi iwobi and jenkinson in for 40 mill.
Why am I posting I thought I'd given up

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:57 am
Skooner wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 am

I personally wouldn't piss too much money on Zaharias either, but let's be clear here and acknowledge that they are not the same position - zaha is a natural winger, whilst auba is being played out of position on the wing cos he is a striker.
Let me also say that zaha is 26 years old and coming in to what is effectively his prime years, whilst auba is 30 years old and heading into his declining years.

All that being said, I personally would prefer to sell auba abroad (something that I would be very comfortable doing), but if I was to sell him to manure I wouldn't do so for anything less than £85m straight up (no instalments shite for a 30 year old).
Secondly zaha wouldn't be in my top 3 choices if I was gonna buy a winger - I do like the idea of having a proper winger with pace that can dribble past full backs and set up chances for our strikers, cos lard arse with his ridiculous step overs, and the Armenian pussy don't tick the boxes for me. On no planet can I see zaha being value for money, and even less so when that money would be better used filling other needs. I think Fraser is far, far from what should be the required quality to play for our club, but at £20m it would be a more sensible purchase than zaha (although I think zaha is miles better than him if I'm honest)
One might be a striker and the other a winger but if the two transfers happen, Zaha is being bought as his replacement to play a similar role in the team as Auba did last season. Just don't think it makes sense, I still think we'd get more from Auba in the next two/three seasons than we would Zaha or any of the other names touted as new wingers.

I agree Fraser makes more sense as a cheap option so you can reinvest the cash else where (not saying Fraser is good enough). But you wouldn't necessarily need to sell to make that deal happen.