Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Kingralph

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Kingralph »

Emery need to go. Nothing to do with playing Xhaka, keeping Iwobi or failing to close out matches.
He needs to go, simply because he played Cech in the Europa League final.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Kingralph wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:29 pm
Emery need to go. Nothing to do with playing Xhaka, keeping Iwobi or failing to close out matches.
He needs to go, simply because he played Cech in the Europa League final.
Hmmm tbh I was gonna just call this a stupid post :wink: but in fairness to you it is probably the worst black mark against Dick for me. Was it loyalty to the player or was it a Wengeresque ego tantrum saying to the fans and press "fuck you - I pick the team" ?

Either way it was an awful decision that no one can defend. I would not sack him over it but it certainly dented my faith in him.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 pm
Clash wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:03 am
goonersid wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:11 am
Rumours abound that Emery will hand the captains armband to Xhaka :lol: Xhaka posing as his “right hand man” yesterday probably the basis of this rumour!
The Dick lovers on here, were all convinced that Xhaka and co were simply being given enough playing time to either prove their worth or otherwise :roll:
Should this become reality, then we can only assume that the clown we now have managing our club, believes that Xhaka has done a sterling job and has shown great leadership qualities :lol:
Then God help us this coming season, it doesn’t matter who we do or don’t sign, because Emery is a fucking idiot!
:D Not sure there are actually any Dick lovers on here Sid. There are/were some undecided about Dick who were hopeful rather than convinced he would clear out the likes of Xhaka etc. Unfortunately things are starting to look like you called it right about Emery though. If he rates Xhaka there is no hope :banghead:

Ok, let me play a little game with ye 2 geniuses and see how ye get on answering these questions -

1. In order, list the positions that ye feel need to be upgraded this summer

2. What players would ye buy to upgrade those positions ?

3. How much of answers to the first 2 questions would you expect to be able to fulfill with a transfer budget of £45m ?

You see I can understand why some would slate dick over his failure to tactically shut down games, and I can understand why some would criticize him for our failings in the last 5 games of last season, but to me it is beyond laughable when he gets criticized for not replacing xhaka. Personally I wouldn't want the guy as our captain either,and in an ideal world I would want a better player in my midfield, but anyone who thinks that upgrading him is more important than buying at least 3 defenders and a winger, should be sectioned right here and now :roll: Give dick a proper transfer budget and I doubt if too many of the current team would survive, but ffs there is only so much you can do with a £45m budget :cussing:

For the record too, there is NOBODY that should be shown the door ahead of mustafi and lard arse iwobi and I include xhaka in that
Your questions are all irrelevant augie!
Emery (if he makes Xhaka captain) thinks Xhaka is his commander and chief on the field of play!!
Even you in your unyielding support and excuse making, must see that this renders Emery a complete fucking idiot, who shouldn’t even be allowed near our pitiful 45mil transfer budget!
Holy mother of Christ augie what have you become :D :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

It's not that I rate xhaka or anything cos I don't believe that he should be anywhere near AFC, or not near the club we used to be anyway. My reality is that we badly need a left full and two centre halves as a matter of some urgency - if we were able to move on some of the absolute shit that le cock left us (I'm thinking mainly mikki, mustafi, lard arse, kolasniac and Ozil) then maybe it would allow us to generate funds to replace xhaka, but no club wants to buy the shit we are selling

On the issue of captaincy I will again say that he wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice, BUT the reality is again that the French cock has left us a squad totally devoid of leaders. Have a read of the captaincy thread and you will see that there is no stand out for the role - sokratis would be my choice, but maybe dick is going with a guy that has captaincy experience ?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 pm
It's not that I rate xhaka or anything cos I don't believe that he should be anywhere near AFC, or not near the club we used to be anyway. My reality is that we badly need a left full and two centre halves as a matter of some urgency - if we were able to move on some of the absolute shit that le cock left us (I'm thinking mainly mikki, mustafi, lard arse, kolasniac and Ozil) then maybe it would allow us to generate funds to replace xhaka, but no club wants to buy the shit we are selling

On the issue of captaincy I will again say that he wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice, BUT the reality is again that the French cock has left us a squad totally devoid of leaders. Have a read of the captaincy thread and you will see that there is no stand out for the role - sokratis would be my choice, but maybe dick is going with a guy that has captaincy experience ?
Captaincy experience, Jesus Agie, you are grasping at straws there may not be a standout candidate for captain, but if Emery picks Xhaka, who would be in the bottom 3 candidates, then holy fuck, that’s got absolutely nothing to do with what Wenger left him.
This is an insight into Emery’s thinking and it’s fucking terrifying!
I said early last season, that Xhaka would be a first choice on the team sheet next season.
We are a ship heading for an iceberg and with a clown at the helm!

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 pm
Clash wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:03 am
goonersid wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:11 am
Rumours abound that Emery will hand the captains armband to Xhaka :lol: Xhaka posing as his “right hand man” yesterday probably the basis of this rumour!
The Dick lovers on here, were all convinced that Xhaka and co were simply being given enough playing time to either prove their worth or otherwise :roll:
Should this become reality, then we can only assume that the clown we now have managing our club, believes that Xhaka has done a sterling job and has shown great leadership qualities :lol:
Then God help us this coming season, it doesn’t matter who we do or don’t sign, because Emery is a fucking idiot!
:D Not sure there are actually any Dick lovers on here Sid. There are/were some undecided about Dick who were hopeful rather than convinced he would clear out the likes of Xhaka etc. Unfortunately things are starting to look like you called it right about Emery though. If he rates Xhaka there is no hope :banghead:

Ok, let me play a little game with ye 2 geniuses and see how ye get on answering these questions -

1. In order, list the positions that ye feel need to be upgraded this summer

2. What players would ye buy to upgrade those positions ?

3. How much of answers to the first 2 questions would you expect to be able to fulfill with a transfer budget of £45m ?

You see I can understand why some would slate dick over his failure to tactically shut down games, and I can understand why some would criticize him for our failings in the last 5 games of last season, but to me it is beyond laughable when he gets criticized for not replacing xhaka. Personally I wouldn't want the guy as our captain either,and in an ideal world I would want a better player in my midfield, but anyone who thinks that upgrading him is more important than buying at least 3 defenders and a winger, should be sectioned right here and now :roll: Give dick a proper transfer budget and I doubt if too many of the current team would survive, but ffs there is only so much you can do with a £45m budget :cussing:

For the record too, there is NOBODY that should be shown the door ahead of mustafi and lard arse iwobi and I include xhaka in that
I agree with you that the priority is the defence but your post surprises me Augie because I woudnt have expected this somewhat lenient stance from you.

Not sure what the £45m budget has to do with getting rid of a proven liability like Xhaka either. Surely we can sell him for whatever we're offered and buy another player for a similar amount? That way the budget isnt affected and hopefully we've got a better player. Same applies to Mustafi and Iwobi. There is not a limit to how many we can get rid of in the same summer so I am not sure why you say nobody should be shown the door ahead of those two. All these players need to be out of this club before we can improve, not being touted a fucking captain material ffs. But that's what Emery appears to be doing.

I will admit that until quite recently I thought Sid's position with regard to Emery was both harsh and premature. I was prepared to give Emery a year to begin sorting things out but that time is now and not much is happening that I can see.

Would you tolerate a summer like this from Wenger? Despite wanting to give Emery time and also not forgetting the pile of shite Wenger left behind, there are a growing number of things that he is doing (or not doing) that would have had us ranting and raving if it was Wenger.

Something Retro said at the end of the season has stuck in my mind. Talking about how nothing really changed under Emery last season, he asked that if that is the case, then what is the point of a manager? And it is quite true. Emery needs to start making an impact whether he has £45m or £145m - otherwise what is he here for?

As for me or anyone else naming who we should sign etc. I think it would be a futile exercise. I don't have access to information about who is available, who would be willing to come, or how much they would cost. And even if I read every bit of transfer speculation I have no way of knowing what is true or not so I don't waste my time with it.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash there isn't a limited number of players that we can sell this summer IF we find clubs willing to buy them, and look around you cos that ain't happening

Sid there is an absolute dearth of potential captains in this squad and that cannot be denied - allowing for that I say again that I wouldn't pick xhaka as captain, and it feels like I have to keep saying that cos I am being viewed as a xhaka defender :o I will also say again that my preference this summer was to do a serious reset that would involve selling assets with real value (like auba) and building almost from scratch - I believe this would have then allowed dick or whatever manager was in place to have replaced players like xhaka (and countless others) and replace them with proper players and proper leaders, but it seems that many fans expect us to do all that and keep players like auba and that ain't realistic imo

Herd

Post by Herd »

I think Dick is being sold short by the management and will paper the cracks best he can. Remember he isnt the deal maker but first team coach so whilst he might say I want this or that player in or out he is reliant on Raul and the bean counters . I reckon we will break even on transfers this window, I'm not convinced of the 45 mill budget at all.

augie

Post by augie »

Didn't know what thread to put this on, but seeing as it is mostly related to the squad, I put it on this thread

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -mentality

I love the way edu speaks about how important it is that both the players and the club itself has a winning mentality - between wenker and the Kroenke's, a losers mentality runs right through this club :roll: :oops: :oops:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Sorry guys but Emery is complicit in things, not a victim. He has no long standing loyalty excuse to keep him at the club and therefore if things aren't to his liking he has every right to be vocal about it, look at Rafa at the Barcodes, he has been expressing his discontent with the owner almost from the day he arrived and has continued to do so up until he walked at the end of his contract.

Emery is doing a Wenger, pocketing the cash and carrying on regardless. His viewpoint on things is incredibly suspect if he is considering Xhaka as the new Captain, he is not agitating for more funds to be available and is struggling to make his point on who he needs brought in. The reason i mention the last is that everyone mentioned bar one or two has been an attacking player, so either that is what he thinks we need or he is being steamrolled over his requirements, either way it is not inspiring confidence in our head coach :rubchin:

I said it last season and i'll reiterate it again he is not a coach who inspires confidence in me and the longer this farce of a transfer window carries on in the same vain, Kos throwing a hissy fit, Xhaka touted for Captain and ludicrous attempts to actually buy players and Emery staying silent on it all shows he is weak in my mind.

We need a leader not a yes man, we've had one of those for long enough now :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:32 pm
Sorry guys but Emery is complicit in things, not a victim. He has no long standing loyalty excuse to keep him at the club and therefore if things aren't to his liking he has every right to be vocal about it, look at Rafa at the Barcodes, he has been expressing his discontent with the owner almost from the day he arrived and has continued to do so up until he walked at the end of his contract.

Emery is doing a Wenger, pocketing the cash and carrying on regardless. His viewpoint on things is incredibly suspect if he is considering Xhaka as the new Captain, he is not agitating for more funds to be available and is struggling to make his point on who he needs brought in. The reason i mention the last is that everyone mentioned bar one or two has been an attacking player, so either that is what he thinks we need or he is being steamrolled over his requirements, either way it is not inspiring confidence in our head coach :rubchin:

I said it last season and i'll reiterate it again he is not a coach who inspires confidence in me and the longer this farce of a transfer window carries on in the same vain, Kos throwing a hissy fit, Xhaka touted for Captain and ludicrous attempts to actually buy players and Emery staying silent on it all shows he is weak in my mind.

We need a leader not a yes man, we've had one of those for long enough now :roll:

Firstly, you are using rafa as a beacon on how an unhappy manager should behave ?? A man that moaned continually for years but never walked out and would still be there if he had 12 months left on his contract :roll: If the fat spanish waiter was so disgruntled then why didnt he walk a long time ago ? The fat c.unt needed feeding and sold his so called principles for his fat contract, and you claim that emery is complicit :roll:

Secondly, I will agree with you that Emery should be extremely vocal IF he doesnt get the players he wants, but do you honestly want him to throw his dummy out of the pram now with 3 weeks still to go in the transfer window ?? Tell me what positive you see coming out of dick having a major hissy fit in public domain right now ? For starters any selling club will feel inclined to increase their asking prices simply cos they will feel there will be added desperation on our clubs behalf to get the deals done. Secondly the last thing dick should want right now is to piss off the people who he has to trust to get these players in, and publicly throwing them under the bus will not do much for a working relationship. Of course causing unease in the squad is never a good thing either, and any potential signing would certainly think twice before joining a club that seems divided from the outside.

Tbh I don't think that dick kicking up a fuss at the end of the transfer window will serve any purpose anyway - to me I would have more respect for the man if he just packed his bags, told the club to get fcuked, and went back to spain to await a job offer from a club intent on competing

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

five minutes into a friendly and your opponents give away a silly straight red.

Dick knows :
Emery remarkably asked the referee to give Madrid a player back.

"When we were playing 11 vs 11 we were playing well," he said. "After the red, we preferred to play against 11 and asked the referee if we could play against 11 again but they didn't support that chance. "
classy move. 8)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

This is what Emery told Arsenal.com: “Last year we used different systems during the season. Each moment, each match was thinking about how we were better in our positioning for defence or attack. We are starting last year working in general with a back four and trying to use two players like Ainsley and Sead, working a lot in this back four and also with Jenkinson, maybe Nacho, his natural habit was to play back four and sometimes like a left centre back in a back three.

“But we want to use two systems and we are working with two systems, but our first objective is to play with a back four. We are continuing working on that and, above all, feel that we defensively get stronger with a back four with Sead, with Ainsley, with Sead, with Jenkinson and with Hector when he comes back. But we can take the performance with two systems and I think it’s rich for us tactically to use two systems and have two options.”

Looks like he's going with what he has in defence, hopefully will get Tierney before deadline

One things for sure Leno is going to be busy

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Jenko played very well last night. he worked very hard and got forward.

Dick is not going to announce the positions he is looking for, no sane manager does.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Looking at the squad I can see why we are looking at the midfield attack, rather than defence. We have a squad that is heavily weighted with defenders and short in numbers in midfield and attack. There are the 5 kids coming through that bulk out the midfield and attack but we are short in squad numbers.
I simply don't understand the point of getting rid of Emery at this stage. So much fear mongering. There was a period of adjustment for players to what Emery wanted from them. It has to be remembered a majority of that squad coasted for two seasons. Last season showed signs of life. It was no mean feat getting to the Europa Legaue final. Given the same set of players fell short the season before.
Pre-season appears to going very well. Koscielny isn't being missed at all. The team have played some good football and been quick in the attack. Willock, Sako and Nketieh have performed well. Jenkinson has shown that he will always put a shift in and work hard for the team. In the performances I've seen from him, he hasn't let the team down in the way Ozil, Xhaka, Monreal, Kolasinac and Mustafi have done over the last season.
Emery is coaching the team and with the return of Holding and Bellerin who showed signs of improvement under emery, maybe he doesn't need to get a CB just yet. Left sided defender is a position needed and really our attacking options do need freshening up with pace. I'm anticipating a big season from Guendouzi who was a top performer for the French u-21's. Torreira will also be more acclimatised to the Premier League, if he stays will have a bigger impact.
Emery is using his squad and has a plan B, which we've not had for a few years. I'm confident that we will finish top 4 and win a trophy next season. Last season it was a hope this season it is an expectation. On playing Cech in the Europa League final didn't contribute to our defeat, he was by far and away out best player that dreadful night, it was the 10 clowns in front of him that left him exposed. You also forget Leno conceded 10 goals in the last 4 games, which saw us drop from 3rd to 5th.