The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Gunner Rob

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 am
Lib dems are even bigger spunkbubbles than the Tories.
Johnson will now pick up Brexit Party voters, Labour is in disarray, Lib Dems not got enough of a base.
Johnson calls a GE and he will get a majority to govern for the next 5 years.

What happens with Brexit is not important for him - Boris has now got power, he will make sure that he keeps hold of it.

Herd

Post by Herd »

His honeymoon will be very short but of course if he needs the lib dems to push through a Hard Brexit he will just offer their leader ,(whoever that is?) a meaningless cabinet post and they will abandon their remain stance quicker than you can say Jeremy Thorpes a pederast !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:12 am
His honeymoon will be very short but of course if he needs the lib dems to push through a Hard Brexit he will just offer their leader ,(whoever that is?) a meaningless cabinet post and they will abandon their remain stance quicker than you can say Jeremy Thorpes a pederast !
he won't need the Lib Dems - a Boris/Brexit Party alliance will rule the UK for the next 5 years.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Im not so sure ,this government is universally hated ,the problem is loads of working class former labour voters hate Corbyn !

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:32 am
Herd wrote:
Johnson will now pick up Brexit Party voters, Labour is in disarray, Lib Dems not got enough of a base.

What happens with Brexit is not important for him - Boris has now got power, he will make sure that he keeps hold of it.
Still don't see an election happening before Brexit. May tried it and nearly got done. Boris won't take the risk. Simply an election would cause unneccesary chaos when governemnt needs to be focussing on the proposition of a no-deal brexit. The fact he's put it back on the table will have the EU's new president having to re-think its strategy as a no-deal leaves them in a more vulnerable position than the UK, as the UK businesses and government have been preparing for the prospect of a no-deal exit. Another little recession will be inconsequential. We've had 3 of them since the '90's and lived in austerity for the last 10 years, all whilst we've been in the EU, so what difference will another make? House prices drop a little, small businesses begin to profit, bigger companies begin to struggle, new car sales drop a bit. Been there seen it survived it. It's time to buy shares in McDonalds as they always do well in a recession.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:32 am
Herd wrote:

Still don't see an election happening before Brexit. May tried it and nearly got done. Boris won't take the risk. Simply an election would cause unneccesary chaos when governemnt needs to be focussing on the proposition of a no-deal brexit. The fact he's put it back on the table will have the EU's new president having to re-think its strategy as a no-deal leaves them in a more vulnerable position than the UK, as the UK businesses and government have been preparing for the prospect of a no-deal exit. Another little recession will be inconsequential. We've had 3 of them since the '90's and lived in austerity for the last 10 years, all whilst we've been in the EU, so what difference will another make? House prices drop a little, small businesses begin to profit, bigger companies begin to struggle, new car sales drop a bit. Been there seen it survived it. It's time to buy shares in McDonalds as they always do well in a recession.
I’ve read some funny stuff recently but this is the king of the crop.

On the one hand The U.K. - begins from a starting point of a predicted 5% loss to GDP (government backed studies) in the event of No Deal and facing years of hammering out new agreements virtually from scratch which must be acceptable to all EU members. Then needs to make agreements with dozens of NonEU nations and trading bodies across the world, which will never give the smaller U.K. economy more favorable terms than the superpower size EU economy.

On the other hand The EU - already trading with the entire world and has vast and current experience of making beneficial trade agreements with all kinds of diverse governments throughout the world. Something which our inexperienced government sorely lacks. Will, in the event of No Deal Brexit, need to renegotiate at a future date with a SINGLE COUNTRY, rather than dozens and does not need to worry about managing the daily infrastructure concerns, health, education, security concerns, not to mention agriculture, food etc etc of an entire nation for which it is solely responsible while it does so. Oh, did I forget to mention simultaneously handling the rising anger, independence movements in Scotland and N.Ireland?

But the EU is “more vulnerable” than the U.K.? Okay, okay. Sure.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm
One thing I guarantee you will happen is a constitutional crisis within a month, two months tops, of Boris The Racist's "leadership".

I always kind of had a grudging respect for the UK not cowing down to the EU on everything, but when I look at the complete fuckwits that are trying to lead you out of the EU I can't help but think you are probably fucked unfortunately.
The UK is the EU - literally. A very important part of it. So it was only ever "standing up" to itself. And it does (did) very well from it: unhindered access to the world's largest/second largest economic block with which it conducts a humungous proportion of its total importing/exporting (not nearly comparable to the EU's proportion of trade with the UK economy which is minuscule by comparison). Shared technological and scientific research, shared security, guaranteed extremely high food and safety standards on all products entering the UK. And on and on. Ireland does very nicely out of as well which is why it backed by about 90% of the population there.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

cameron326 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:43 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
One thing I guarantee you will happen is a constitutional crisis within a month, two months tops, of Boris The Racist's "leadership".

I always kind of had a grudging respect for the UK not cowing down to the EU on everything, but when I look at the complete fuckwits that are trying to lead you out of the EU I can't help but think you are probably fucked unfortunately.
The UK is the EU - literally. A very important part of it. So it was only ever "standing up" to itself. And it does (did) very well from it: unhindered access to the world's largest/second largest economic block with which it conducts a humungous proportion of its total importing/exporting (not nearly comparable to the EU's proportion of trade with the UK economy which is minuscule by comparison). Shared technological and scientific research, shared security, guaranteed extremely high food and safety standards on all products entering the UK. A massive economic face to present to China, the US and other emerging superpowers. A proper poker hand rather than the single pair the UK is pathetically pretending is a flush (we can all see the hand you know). And on and on. Ireland does very nicely out of as well which is why it backed by about 90% of the population there.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

cameron326 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:46 am
cameron326 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:43 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

The UK is the EU - literally. A very important part of it. So it was only ever "standing up" to itself. And it does (did) very well from it: unhindered access to the world's largest/second largest economic block with which it conducts a humungous proportion of its total importing/exporting (not nearly comparable to the EU's proportion of trade with the UK economy which is minuscule by comparison). Shared technological and scientific research, shared security, guaranteed extremely high food and safety standards on all products entering the UK. A massive economic face to present to China, the US and other emerging superpowers. A proper poker hand rather than the single pair the UK is pathetically pretending is a flush (we can all see the hand you know). And on and on. Ireland does very nicely out of as well which is why it backed by about 90% of the population there.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

[/quote]
[/quote]

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

The UK is the EU - literally. A very important part of it. So it was only ever "standing up" to itself. And it does (did) very well from it: unhindered access to the world's largest/second largest economic block with which it conducts a humungous proportion of its total importing/exporting (not nearly comparable to the rest of the EU's proportion of trade with the UK economy which is minuscule by comparison). Shared technological and scientific research, shared security, guaranteed extremely high food and safety standards on all products entering the UK. A massive economic face to present to China, the US and other emerging superpowers - a proper poker hand rather than the single pair the UK is pathetically pretending is a flush (we can all see the hand you know). And on and on. Ireland does very nicely out of as well which is why it backed by about 90% of the population there.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

That's the thing about indoctrination , If you keep repeating it eventually people begin to believe it.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

cameron326 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 am

The UK is the EU - literally. A very important part of it. So it was only ever "standing up" to itself. And it does (did) very well from it: unhindered access to the world's largest/second largest economic block with which it conducts a humungous proportion of its total importing/exporting (not nearly comparable to the rest of the EU's proportion of trade with the UK economy which is minuscule by comparison). Shared technological and scientific research, shared security, guaranteed extremely high food and safety standards on all products entering the UK. A massive economic face to present to China, the US and other emerging superpowers - a proper poker hand rather than the single pair the UK is pathetically pretending is a flush (we can all see the hand you know). And on and on. Ireland does very nicely out of as well which is why it backed by about 90% of the population there.
Very good post!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:40 am
That's the thing about indoctrination , If you keep repeating it eventually people begin to believe it.
good to see that you have finally realised that supporting Brexit is a cult.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

cameron326 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 am

The UK is the EU - literally.
A very important part of it. So it was only ever "standing up" to itself.

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: