Preseason Friendly Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Preseason Friendly Thread

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:51 pm
would like to see dembele at the club

That's your pro-celtic bias affecting you there cos you are Irish :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

Hope to fcuk I am proved wrong, but nketieh just does not convince me - zero link up play, cant get his head up to pass the ball, and his finishing is very patchy.
Like I say, I hope I am proven wrong

augie

Post by augie »

Xhaka has been fcuking horrendous with his passing today :evil: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:07 pm
Xhaka has been fcuking horrendous with his passing today :evil: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Oh, that's not like him?? :( :(

Midz

Post by Midz »

g60gooner wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:07 pm
Oh, that's not like him?? :( :(
:D

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:01 pm
Hope to fcuk I am proved wrong, but nketieh just does not convince me - zero link up play, cant get his head up to pass the ball, and his finishing is very patchy.
agree with this. he's only had a couple good games.

Midz

Post by Midz »

I know the pre-season games are a chance to look at a bunch of players without too much pressure but doesn't Dick already know just how shite Mustafi is?

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Midz wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:15 pm
I know the pre-season games are a chance to look at a bunch of players without too much pressure but doesn't Dick already know just how shite Mustafi is?
Maybe he keeps telling himself that if he puts him into every single starting 11, by a miracle of God he might improve. But nope, the fucker has ZERO urgency in improving or even thinking 'let's improve this season for the sake of trophies'.

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand how professional athletes* do not aspire to move forward and play better. Fuck, I'd play all-in every week in hopes a) I win trophies b) a bigger fish comes looking for me c) I get more money when other clubs want me.

* when I say athletes I mean shit like Mustafi, Granit, Iwobi and the bunch that we want gone ASAP.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

augie wrote:
He's shaky in the first team, maybe played under a different system with the academy. Unfortunately not everyone's Rashford from the get-go but fingers crossed he becomes decent with game time. The positive is that he's not total shite.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:21 pm
augie wrote:
He's shaky in the first team, maybe played under a different system with the academy. Unfortunately not everyone's Rashford from the get-go but fingers crossed he becomes decent with game time. The positive is that he's not total shite.
I was not sure about young Eddie either but having just watched him I am feeling a bit better about him. Some good moments and a couple of misses but it's the old story that he was there to miss them. It might take a while for him to settle but he has the crowd behind him and not on his back so that's a plus.

Nelson was the main draw today and did not disappoint. He wants the ball, is confident, fast and tricky. No way does he get loaned out this season if Dick has half a brain. In fact there was a real buzz about all the kids in the team today which was really encouraging. The only downside was the same old same old when it came to defending. If we are going to spend £75M then we'd do well to spend it on Tierney and a £50M CB.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Rian1 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:19 pm

* when I say athletes I mean shit like Mustafi, Granit, Iwobi and the bunch that we want gone ASAP.
Iwobi wasnt in the team again. Idk if he has featured at all so far.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:20 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:21 pm
augie wrote:
I was not sure about young Eddie either but having just watched him I am feeling a bit better about him. Some good moments and a couple of misses but it's the old story that he was there to miss them. It might take a while for him to settle but he has the crowd behind him and not on his back so that's a plus.

Nelson was the main draw today and did not disappoint. He wants the ball, is confident, fast and tricky. No way does he get loaned out this season if Dick has half a brain. In fact there was a real buzz about all the kids in the team today which was really encouraging. The only downside was the same old same old when it came to defending. If we are going to spend £75M then we'd do well to spend it on Tierney and a £50M CB.
Agree 100% on both points. More so, I agree on the 75m spend, I stated this elsewhere in the forum but not sure how Tierney still isn't an Arsenal player. Budget is not what it was stated, clearly that's the case so why aren't we just chucking an extra million on the deal and get it done. His current team demands 25m on the dot, just give it. Why are we going to 23, 22 or whatever the fuck we playing at.

Having said that, Pepe is an exciting prospect and will get attention from defenders meaning more chances created for us but.. sadly with Mustafi at the back, we only score a goal in hopes to not concede. Quite a few CB's were on the market and we seemed to miss the lot. A good 50m spending would've been Tierney and Alderweireld (just an example).

Nelsson and Willock are impressing and no doubt should feature vs Newcastle from the bench at least. Heck, I'd give Nelsson a start from minute zero ahead of Iwobi.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:27 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Iwobi wasnt in the team again. Idk if he has featured at all so far.
Thanks fuck for that, keeping it that way would be idea. Alex is decent but only when he comes against tired legs where he can create half chances that he does create.

He hasn't featured due to the participation in the AFCON. I think the teams were only released last week from duties.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

HT 1-0 down to Angers.

plc live text says 'the ball was slipped behind the defence, i'm going to guess somebody was ball watching.

not hard to guess who that might be :banghead:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Watching the Angers match and we have been very poor, admittedly he's mainly playing the kids but the defending for their goal was woeful yet again...... Martinelli has been ok but the front players are just too slow and taking over long deciding what to do, Mustafi has been his usual, Monreal is looking really slow even compared to usual and the midfield is struggling to retain the ball and get thiings going forward.