ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Standard say #Arsenal are willing to listen to offers for Shkodran Mustafi & Mohamed Elneny from European clubs up until the 31st August deadline. https://t.co/ze7OopNl80

Although there has been some interest from France & Germany, no formal offers have been made for Mustafi. #Arsenal are keen to recoup the majority of the £35m they paid Valencia in 2016 & would prefer a straight sale as opposed to a loan with an option to buy. https://t.co/jFrAIAcYIh

Elneny was this week in talks over a move to Galatasaray but as of yet the Turkish club have failed to reach an agreement with the midfielder or #Arsenal. https://t.co/iCctXSksRe

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:33 am
Best Transfer window in years for me.

Other fans are saying Arsenal have done good business, and despite manure spending shedloads they have serious problems in putting a team together that will score a lot of goals. Chelski are weakened, and unless their kids step up there is no reason why we shouldn't overtake them. The spuds are the benchmark for us this season, can't have another season of being below them.

Would love to know the net spend overall, can't help feeling its around that £40-£45m that we have been hearing all summer. Great work by Arsenal to get so many deals done. Comedy Iwobi for £35m is the icing on the cake.

If you go back a couple of pages it's been laid out. It's not really about 'net' spend this time it's more about 'current' spend which is probably in the region of £30M. If we get shot of Mustafi and Elniny (most likely to leave this next month) then we will be pretty close to having to hand over next to nothing by the time the current window closes.

The big problem is getting shot of Ozil and Mhiki is going to be a hell of a job with wage bills of £18M and £10M per year respectively. How big a twat is TOF - that's how big a twat :banghead: Against my better judgement and all evidence there is a part of me that wonders whether the recent activity might just give ozil a boost. If he bothered his arse how easy would it be for him to simply drop balls into the path of Pepe/Auba or am I in danger of becoming an optimist :shock: Must be the Iwobi deals gone to my head :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Unai Emery says there will be more departures from #AFC before the end of the European transfer window.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i had the weirdest dream last night. i dreamt we sold iwobi for 40 million.....

:lol:

I was impressed with Martinez pre-season. i thought he was more comfortable on the ball than Leno.

its pretty pleasing that our best prospects are NOT out on loan this year - Willock, Martinez, Reiss, Martinez.

that tells me that Dick learned from last year and we will see them rotated in much more than just the milk cup games.

Clash

Post by Clash »

It's not been the perfect transfer window by any means but it's been much better than I ever thought it would be.

Even as recently as 2 or 3 weeks ago it didn't look like anything much was happening but as as a result of what we've done in the last fortnight, I am looking for to a new season more than I've done for years. The feeling of anticipation is how it should be at the start of a season. And it's what we've been denied for so long!

Well played Unai, Raul and everyone else involved :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Is it too early to start a January transfer window thread,asking for a friend.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm intrigued how the teams going to set up now, slightly apprehensive over the nailed on Xhaka slot which he seems to have but it will be interesting as the season progresses whether UE can have a much more settled line up, injuries and suspensions aside because for me one of the major disruptions last season was the chopping and changing :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Way too early, don't even think about it........er what's your friend heard???

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
I'm intrigued how the teams going to set up now, slightly apprehensive over the nailed on Xhaka slot which he seems to have but it will be interesting as the season progresses whether UE can have a much more settled line up, injuries and suspensions aside because for me one of the major disruptions last season was the chopping and changing :rubchin:
I am already expecting a lot of criticism over this but here I go: Granit isn't a bad footballer at his position. Granted he is a boring one dimensional player but he is a holding midfielder who rotates the ball and has the job to drag out opposition from their position to create gaps. UE uses him to move forward and that is where the problem lies. This season I'd like to see Granit much more defensive than the previous season, that's where I think he will 'shine' a bit more. He was never an attacking minded box-to-box midfielder like Modric, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi and etc. He was always the anchor between his CB and the attack at Gladback, he gets exposed too often when he attacks so it is wise to use him where he has always played. Send Torreira up, no problem but we get counter attacked way too often when both of them jump up the pitch and lose the ball.

Please be it clear I am not saying he is first team material for a title-winning team but he is being used beyond his means and that's why he does not perform as well as he should.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
It will be interesting to see what he has in mind and whether there is a more settled approach to the team. The big plus for me is the chance that our defence for the future might just start to take shape this season.

If Tierney, Holding and the slipper model can get fit and get their shit together then we could, at long last, be in a good way defensively. Whether Chambers can do something or not I have my doubts but hopefully at least one of Mavropanos, Saliba or Medley will come through. That would mean they are brought in to a settled defence as Sokratis 31 and Luiz 32 bow out. Either that or the fu.ckers are all out injured as usual :roll:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:49 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
I am already expecting a lot of criticism over this but here I go: Granit isn't a bad footballer at his position. Granted he is a boring one dimensional player but he is a holding midfielder who rotates the ball and has the job to drag out opposition from their position to create gaps. UE uses him to move forward and that is where the problem lies. This season I'd like to see Granit much more defensive than the previous season, that's where I think he will 'shine' a bit more. He was never an attacking minded box-to-box midfielder like Modric, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi and etc. He was always the anchor between his CB and the attack at Gladback, he gets exposed too often when he attacks so it is wise to use him where he has always played. Send Torreira up, no problem but we get counter attacked way too often when both of them jump up the pitch and lose the ball.

Please be it clear I am not saying he is first team material for a title-winning team but he is being used beyond his means and that's why he does not perform as well as he should.

Rian old chap, if you have a season ticket, do you mind if we swap seats for a match, because from where I sit, I can only describe Xhaka as fucking useless !
:wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The biggest problem with Xhaka is he lacks any sense of discipline, this worries me immensely as our probable Captain. He has to know when to stick and when to completely ignore the manager too during a match, when to grip the players around him and say 'this isnt working' we need to do x,y,z instead. To curb the enthusiasm of not just the youngsters but the older more established players too I just cannot see that from Xhaka at all.

As a coach you have to trust your Captain to make the right choices during a game and Xhaka just doesnt have that game 'sense'to me :rubchin:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Would love to think that as the Iwobi £ came in so late, along with Elneny / Mustahpi / Mick O possibly being offloaded we will go back in big time for a solid centre back .....

Keep us posted Mc :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

I agree that he is used beyond his means and Dick is trying to have it both ways by using him to distribute and to cover. He might be able to do one of those roles adequately in the PL but he's not good enough to do them both. I think a lot of the problem with Xhaka is simply down to carelessness, we have seen time and time again that fuc.king ridiculously stupid ball across the field be it in front of the defence or just moving into the midfield and he never seems to learn. You hear the groan go up around the place when he does it (again) and it's heads down and get back time just as we were moving forward. I will never have a problem with a ball down the line if there is nothing on offer but don't play those risky balls instead ffs. I have no doubt that Dick encourages him to play that way but Xhaka is a pro and has to make better decisions than he does.

Ironically he did seem happier during that little spell at LB (or was it just that I was happier with him there) as he challenged effectively and just laid the ball off into the midfield. He wasn't in a position where a fu.ck up left us exposed and tbh he defended better than either of Kolasinac or Monreal.

There were a couple of games last season when he was left out / injured and we were even more fu.cking useless in midfield than when he was in the team. I can't remember the midfield offhand but it was along the lines of Iwobi, Mhiki, Doozi and Ozil and we were all over the place so I guess he does offer a degree of direction when he is playing.

That's all I can offer you mate, otherwise your on your own with this one :lol:

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Rian1 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Rian old chap, if you have a season ticket, do you mind if we swap seats for a match, because from where I sit, I can only describe Xhaka as fucking useless !
:wink:
Depends, where do you sit and are you willing to cover my eye bleeding Club Level seats that I took on a whim as I did not want to wait till I grew old before getting a normal ST :wink:

Sad to say he's the better of the bad bunch and here's to hope he learned from last year's mistakes :banghead: