ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rian1

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Rian1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:32 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:49 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:00 pm
I'm intrigued how the teams going to set up now, slightly apprehensive over the nailed on Xhaka slot which he seems to have but it will be interesting as the season progresses whether UE can have a much more settled line up, injuries and suspensions aside because for me one of the major disruptions last season was the chopping and changing :rubchin:
I am already expecting a lot of criticism over this but here I go: Granit isn't a bad footballer at his position. Granted he is a boring one dimensional player but he is a holding midfielder who rotates the ball and has the job to drag out opposition from their position to create gaps. UE uses him to move forward and that is where the problem lies. This season I'd like to see Granit much more defensive than the previous season, that's where I think he will 'shine' a bit more. He was never an attacking minded box-to-box midfielder like Modric, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi and etc. He was always the anchor between his CB and the attack at Gladback, he gets exposed too often when he attacks so it is wise to use him where he has always played. Send Torreira up, no problem but we get counter attacked way too often when both of them jump up the pitch and lose the ball.

Please be it clear I am not saying he is first team material for a title-winning team but he is being used beyond his means and that's why he does not perform as well as he should.

I agree that he is used beyond his means and Dick is trying to have it both ways by using him to distribute and to cover. He might be able to do one of those roles adequately in the PL but he's not good enough to do them both. I think a lot of the problem with Xhaka is simply down to carelessness, we have seen time and time again that fuc.king ridiculously stupid ball across the field be it in front of the defence or just moving into the midfield and he never seems to learn. You hear the groan go up around the place when he does it (again) and it's heads down and get back time just as we were moving forward. I will never have a problem with a ball down the line if there is nothing on offer but don't play those risky balls instead ffs. I have no doubt that Dick encourages him to play that way but Xhaka is a pro and has to make better decisions than he does.

Ironically he did seem happier during that little spell at LB (or was it just that I was happier with him there) as he challenged effectively and just laid the ball off into the midfield. He wasn't in a position where a fu.ck up left us exposed and tbh he defended better than either of Kolasinac or Monreal.

There were a couple of games last season when he was left out / injured and we were even more fu.cking useless in midfield than when he was in the team. I can't remember the midfield offhand but it was along the lines of Iwobi, Mhiki, Doozi and Ozil and we were all over the place so I guess he does offer a degree of direction when he is playing.

That's all I can offer you mate, otherwise your on your own with this one :lol:
I think you put it through quite well over there. My thoughts exactly and the fact that I hope UE now knows Granit is only fit for one purpose and not very versatile as much as he wants him to become one. I have absolutely no problemo if he does one job and does it with his head high and no mistakes. I'd rather have a less powerful attack (like Pepe, Auba and Laca aren't enough to back defenders anyway!) without him rather than have him and Torreira commit and then let a counter attack leading to 1-0 down.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Rian1 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
I'm intrigued how the teams going to set up now, slightly apprehensive over the nailed on Xhaka slot which he seems to have but it will be interesting as the season progresses whether UE can have a much more settled line up, injuries and suspensions aside because for me one of the major disruptions last season was the chopping and changing :rubchin:
I am already expecting a lot of criticism over this but here I go: Granit isn't a bad footballer at his position. Granted he is a boring one dimensional player but he is a holding midfielder who rotates the ball and has the job to drag out opposition from their position to create gaps. UE uses him to move forward and that is where the problem lies. This season I'd like to see Granit much more defensive than the previous season, that's where I think he will 'shine' a bit more. He was never an attacking minded box-to-box midfielder like Modric, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi and etc. He was always the anchor between his CB and the attack at Gladback, he gets exposed too often when he attacks so it is wise to use him where he has always played. Send Torreira up, no problem but we get counter attacked way too often when both of them jump up the pitch and lose the ball.

Please be it clear I am not saying he is first team material for a title-winning team but he is being used beyond his means and that's why he does not perform as well as he should.

Rian old chap, if you have a season ticket, do you mind if we swap seats for a match, because from where I sit, I can only describe Xhaka as fucking useless !
:wink:
Depends, where do you sit and are you willing to cover my eye bleeding Club Level seats that I took on a whim as I did not want to wait till I grew old before getting a normal ST :wink:

Sad to say he's the better of the bad bunch and here's to hope he learned from last year's mistakes :banghead:
Sorry to be nosey but how much do you pay for the privilege of a fancy seat / what facilities do you have access to.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:48 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Rian old chap, if you have a season ticket, do you mind if we swap seats for a match, because from where I sit, I can only describe Xhaka as fucking useless !
Depends, where do you sit and are you willing to cover my eye bleeding Club Level seats that I took on a whim as I did not want to wait till I grew old before getting a normal ST :wink:

Sad to say he's the better of the bad bunch and here's to hope he learned from last year's mistakes :banghead:
Sorry to be nosey but how much do you pay for the privilege of a fancy seat / what facilities do you have access to.
£3,070 per season - free half time drinks, matchday programme, premium hospitality - á la carte restaurant/buffet restaurant, and other goodies that vary between matches/occasions. Don't ask if it's worth it but I must say I do like everything that comes with it :D

With no ST on sight until I am 35 (12 years left they told me) this was the next best option.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:02 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:

£3,070 per season - free half time drinks, matchday programme, premium hospitality - á la carte restaurant/buffet restaurant, and other goodies that vary between matches/occasions. Don't ask if it's worth it but I must say I do like everything that comes with it :D
Thanks and ouch. How much can you get down your neck at half time :lol: That pays for my two clock end uppers and leaves a nice chunk of change. Have you asked to move as you would easily get an upper tier ticket or would you miss all the razzle dazzle of club level :lol:

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Thanks and ouch. How much can you get down your neck at half time :lol: That pays for my two clock end uppers and leaves a nice chunk of change. Have you asked to move as you would easily get an upper tier ticket or would you miss all the razzle dazzle of club level :lol:
Hear this one out and you'll laugh: I don't drink alcohol :lol: - so the question is null but after shouting at Xhaka and Mustafi I do drink quite a bit of the other drinks that they have and they also have mocktails and whatnot. But one of the focal points is usually CL people do go right down with their alcohol at HT.

Not really and to be honest I don't really like upper tier, way too far for me and yes, I am also losing the comfort of Club Level which I do like. If they do offer me a lower tier ST I would think about it.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:19 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:

Hear this one out and you'll laugh: I don't drink alcohol :lol: - so the question is null but after shouting at Xhaka and Mustafi I do drink quite a bit of the other drinks that they have and they also have mocktails and whatnot. But one of the focal points is usually CL people do go right down with their alcohol at HT.

Not really and to be honest I don't really like upper tier, way too far for me and yes, I am also losing the comfort of Club Level which I do like. If they do offer me a lower tier ST I would think about it.
:lol: :lol:

Yeah do remember you saying on another thread that drink and drugs are not your thing.......your loss :lol: Surprised that Xhaka and Mustafi haven't turned you to drink tbh.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:11 pm
Rian1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:19 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Yeah do remember you saying on another thread that drink and drugs are not your thing.......your loss :lol: Surprised that Xhaka and Mustafi haven't turned you to drink tbh.
They've contemplated me to do far worse than drink and do drugs. Those two do test the last nerve of us supporters :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

To save queuing half-time, the seat lifts up and there's a toilet underneath. :D :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:49 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Rian1 wrote:

To save queuing half-time, the seat lifts up and there's a toilet underneath. :D :wink:
:lol:

Ah so the seat is really a sort of commode :shock: With our defence that's not overly surprising :lol:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Emery on Mustafi: “I spoke with him when we finished last season, I spoke with him when we started pre-season and I spoke with him also two weeks ago saying maybe there was the possibility he can leave.” [via @Football_LDN]

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:11 pm
Emery on Mustafi: “I spoke with him when we finished last season, I spoke with him when we started pre-season and I spoke with him also two weeks ago saying maybe there was the possibility he can leave.” [via @Football_LDN]
Dopey C**t obviously can't take a hint!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Now the dust has finally settled on the summer transfer window, its suddenly hit home that we got £35m for Iwobi...HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHHAHAHHAHAHAH...HOW THE FUCK???? HAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHA...SERIOUSLY....HAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA...haven't heard a peep from any evertonians on my fb news feed....HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Keiren Tierney & David Luiz arrive at Arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb060yInqj0

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:11 pm
In common parlance he means "You can fuckthefuckoff as soon as possible ya useless twonk " :D

This was said whilst they were stood on the balcony of the 66th floor of the Gevora Hotel and Unai had his hand in the middle of mustafi's back whilst looking Down at the ant size taxi's below :D

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:26 am
Keiren Tierney & David Luiz arrive at Arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb060yInqj0
That's a decent watch :barscarf:

KT is class, a quiet unassuming kind of lad and I loved the fact that he couldn't keep the smile off his face once it all got going. He is going to love every minute here as whatever our Celtic friends might like to think London and the Arsenal is a whole different world. Chuffed for the lad and can't wait to see him fit and playing.

DL - Tbh, I'm still not sure what to make of him and his "chav DNA" that he was banging on about just the other day. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he gets The Arsenal and wants to end his career on a positive note. He had a couple of seasons at PSG so he's already seen the difference between a big club and the chavs (small club no history) so who can blame him for coming to us.