Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by Clash »

bunch wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 pm
This Hull fan texting thing is part of the locking down of copyright of everything to do with modern professional football.

I guess this Comsec company are agents of someone like Opta that gathers detailed stats on EFL games. They no doubt pay a licence fee to the EFL to be able to do this exclusively and then sell these stats to media or the playing clubs themselves.

I guess their "inspectors" say a guy tapping into his phone to much and suspected he was gathering match data.

Its staggering that they would try and do it like this. Surely they should monitor uses of match stats and determine from that whether those came from the licenced source.

I guess this is only an issue in the EFL because in the PL every game is broadcast live so anyone want to gather match stats for immediate use they can just watch the broadcast.

It is another giant shit on the head of the fan in the stadium. I know there are fans that do like to gather some stats whilst they watch games, just like collecting programmes, so can tney not do that now. What about photos or videos? You see people taking shots or vids on their phones. I guess this is in breach of copyright too.
Thanks bunch, that’s a much better explanation than the very poorly written article in the link above!

Personally I prefer people not texting during a game … but I have done it myself, usually at half time, if its connected with the game as it appears the Hull fan was doing. When you know someone who is watching it on TV then sometimes you want to know what the TV replays showed as you don’t get to see all of these when you’re in the ground.

This brings up another major difference in the modern game though. I watched a recording of the Sunday Supplement the other night and Martin Samuel was on it talking about VAR and how fans inside a ground are not being told the reason why something was disallowed or re-taken etc.

And he said how these days, the fans inside the stadium are now the least informed people - when at one time they were the most informed.

Before live TV games, anyone who had been at a game was seen as the authority on how a match went and who had played well etc. Now you can leave the ground and go home or to the pub afterwards … and everyone who saw it on TV knows what happened better than you do. They’re now the ones telling you what happened when you’re the one who travelled to a game and paid for a bloody ticket :roll:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

""and everyone who saw it on TV knows what happened better than you do. They’re now the ones telling you what happened when you’re the one who travelled to a game and paid for a bloody ticket "" .

And so it has come to pass , in all probabilty it is just a matter of time before TV will sell season tickets for individual clubs. Certainly it will do away with all those nasty away fans that keep complaining about moving fixtures to stupid times.
Home support will drop and clubs will have to invent new ways to get people to the stadiums .

Football as we knew it has gradually been eroded but just as banal TV comedies get added laughter , crowd atmosphere will be tagged on and the ground supporter will become less and less important.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Clash wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:38 pm
bunch wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 pm
This Hull fan texting thing is part of the locking down of copyright of everything to do with modern professional football.

I guess this Comsec company are agents of someone like Opta that gathers detailed stats on EFL games. They no doubt pay a licence fee to the EFL to be able to do this exclusively and then sell these stats to media or the playing clubs themselves.

I guess their "inspectors" say a guy tapping into his phone to much and suspected he was gathering match data.

Its staggering that they would try and do it like this. Surely they should monitor uses of match stats and determine from that whether those came from the licenced source.

I guess this is only an issue in the EFL because in the PL every game is broadcast live so anyone want to gather match stats for immediate use they can just watch the broadcast.

It is another giant shit on the head of the fan in the stadium. I know there are fans that do like to gather some stats whilst they watch games, just like collecting programmes, so can tney not do that now. What about photos or videos? You see people taking shots or vids on their phones. I guess this is in breach of copyright too.
Thanks bunch, that’s a much better explanation than the very poorly written article in the link above!

Personally I prefer people not texting during a game … but I have done it myself, usually at half time, if its connected with the game as it appears the Hull fan was doing. When you know someone who is watching it on TV then sometimes you want to know what the TV replays showed as you don’t get to see all of these when you’re in the ground.

This brings up another major difference in the modern game though. I watched a recording of the Sunday Supplement the other night and Martin Samuel was on it talking about VAR and how fans inside a ground are not being told the reason why something was disallowed or re-taken etc.

And he said how these days, the fans inside the stadium are now the least informed people - when at one time they were the most informed.

Before live TV games, anyone who had been at a game was seen as the authority on how a match went and who had played well etc. Now you can leave the ground and go home or to the pub afterwards … and everyone who saw it on TV knows what happened better than you do. They’re now the ones telling you what happened when you’re the one who travelled to a game and paid for a bloody ticket :roll:
Everyone is a football expert now mate
Get back home from a game and the mrs is telling me who played well and who was shit :banghead: :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 pm
""and everyone who saw it on TV knows what happened better than you do. They’re now the ones telling you what happened when you’re the one who travelled to a game and paid for a bloody ticket "" .

And so it has come to pass , in all probabilty it is just a matter of time before TV will sell season tickets for individual clubs. Certainly it will do away with all those nasty away fans that keep complaining about moving fixtures to stupid times.
Home support will drop and clubs will have to invent new ways to get people to the stadiums .

Football as we knew it has gradually been eroded but just as banal TV comedies get added laughter , crowd atmosphere will be tagged on and the ground supporter will become less and less important.

We all ready have that embarrassing piped crowd roar just before the teams come out at the bowl.......terrible :x

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Just a small thing for me, but watching MOTD and seeing the amount of teams in the PL sponsored by shitty online gambling firms. It just looks so tacky, and morally too, and I'd prefer not to have a sponsor on our shirt at all than have some crap like Fun88 or LoveBet written across it!

https://www.scoreandchange.com/overview ... -sponsors/

augie

Post by augie »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:47 pm
Just a small thing for me, but watching MOTD and seeing the amount of teams in the PL sponsored by shitty online gambling firms. It just looks so tacky, and morally too, and I'd prefer not to have a sponsor on our shirt at all than have some crap like Fun88 or LoveBet written across it!

Personally I don't give a fcuk if a football club is sponsored by a betting firm, a drinks company or even the local whore house. I don't gamble but gambling (and drinking) are 100% legal so I don't understand the moral outrage of having drinks companies and betting firms names across the front of jersies. As an industry football sometimes thinks that it is a class above but that is a load of b.ullshit imo

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Free market baby. Capitalism rools :lol:

We are happy to take cash from a significant contributer to emissions pollution :rubchin:

Vbet are the clubs official betting and gaming partner :rubchin:

Then there's the Rwanda angle including Skol brewery in Rwanda :rubchin:

where do you draw the moral line.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 am

Free market baby. Capitalism rools :lol:

We are happy to take cash from a significant contributer to emissions pollution :rubchin:

Vbet are the clubs official betting and gaming partner :rubchin:

Then there's the Rwanda angle including Skol brewery in Rwanda :rubchin:

where do you draw the moral line.
Yeah, maybe I'm being idealistic as I absolutely detest gambling.

We've got a stadium named after the national airline of an absolutely revolting abuser of human rights.

Why can't we still be sponsored by JVC (I know they're not really around but that sponsorship was mint. :cry: I even got excited as a youngster going past their warehouse at Staples Corner because of Arsenal, and followed Aberdeen for a bit because they had them also :oops: )

"The Perfect Match"

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

This should be perfect. If only more firms would do this. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standa ... html%3famp

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Sunday 4.30pm kick off is the new Saturday 3pm kick off :roll:

half of our first 10 fixtures will kick off at this time (none at Saturday 3pm) :banghead:

after Saturday we won't have a Saturday game until November at the earliest :shock:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:05 am
Sunday 4.30pm kick off is the new Saturday 3pm kick off :roll:

half of our first 10 fixtures will kick off at this time (none at Saturday 3pm) :banghead:

after Saturday we won't have a Saturday game until November at the earliest :shock:

And when they have tinkered some more with VAR and it really starts gathering pace, by the time the game ends it will be bedtime.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Alex fucking Scott. :censored: :roll:

Not content with pouring out her fucking inane cliché riddled horseshit as a token pundit, this vapid empty bitch is now a sidekick to dizzy cùnt Chris "please daddy look at me" Kamara on Goals On Sunday AND is apparently going to be on some dancing related cuntfest of a reality show. :oops: :roll:

Jesus the career planning meeting her manager and agent had must have been a blast....

"Well she is braindead but unlike most ex-Lezzerball players she at least actually looks like a woman so let's jump on this current snowfkake generation's obsession with pc tokenism and market the living shit out of her to Sky. If they don't bite, we play the double whammy racism and sexism cards".

Wànkers. :censored:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:25 am

Not content with pouring out her fucking inane cliché riddled horseshit as a token pundit, this vapid empty bitch is now a sidekick to dizzy cùnt Chris "please daddy look at me" Kamara on Goals On Sunday AND is apparently going to be on some dancing related cuntfest of a reality show. :oops: :roll:

Jesus the career planning meeting her manager and agent had must have been a blast....

"Well she is braindead but unlike most ex-Lezzerball players she at least actually looks like a woman so let's jump on this current snowfkake generation's obsession with pc tokenism and market the living shit out of her to Sky. If they don't bite, we play the double whammy racism and sexism cards".

Think the lovely Alex fits into another protected category also this even further cementing her future in media. Have you noticed RTE are putting the token women pundits on their Gaelic Games coverage.. The hurling ones are Camogie players which is a different game with many different rules. It would be like a female Netball player (are they only female?) analyising a top class Basketball game from America.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:36 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:25 am

Think the lovely Alex fits into another protected category also this even further cementing her future in media. Have you noticed RTE are putting the token women pundits on their Gaelic Games coverage.. The hurling ones are Camogie players which is a different game with many different rules. It would be like a female Netball player (are they only female?) analyising a top class Basketball game from America.

That's why I have asked on many occasions if it is legally stated that panels for sporting events have to contain male and females ? Can they not have a woman bringing out the tea to the expert pundits live on tv ? Would they represent giving women tv exposure ? :wink:

Clash

Post by Clash »

This is not just modern football as such but modern society too - the definite increase of double-barrelled surnames that are around!

It is a mouthful for commentators. it can be irritating to listen to and a pain to type them out as well.

And it's largely because modern certain women think they're making some kind of stand by keeping their name! Well guess what sweetheart, you now have two male names instead of one because the one you have kept is your dads name and not a female name!

Sorry to go off topic but lets look at what the typical man gives up when he gets married:
Freedom
Hobbies
Friends
Time
Money
Dreams
And in extreme cases, a house, life-savings and the kids

And yet despite the above sacrifices, a growing number of women (who lets be honest gain far more than they lose when they get married) are not even prepared to give up their surname in return.

Absolute bollocks :banghead: