Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Unai Emery

Post by OneBardGooner »

Injured player Up-date:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news- ... rney-dinos

I'm assuming Oz-ill-Again won't be playing

1)ee

Post by 1)ee »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 am
Injured player Up-date:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/team-news- ... rney-dinos

I'm assuming Oz-ill-Again won't be playing
Hopefully, has no passion and doesn't show up in big games anyway.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:55 am
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 am
We have a front two that are genuinely respected and feared in this league. Adding Pepe makes the front three as dynamic as Liverpool's front three. Klopp got the attacked sorted then sorted out the defence and goalkeeper. Playing out from the back against a high pressing team is suicidal. Basically, against Liverpool and man city you bypass their high press and sling the ball out to the wings. One attacker collects and runs forward with the ball, the other two run alongside in support. One cross and there are two players running in for it. Simple really. Do that from the off and the attacking full backs have to stay back and defend. How do I know this great tactic? I've seen the opposition do it to Arsenal enough times on counter attacks over the last 10 years.
The best way to set up this team is 4-2-1-3. We've an attack that cost £180m. Play all 3 of them at the same time. Pretty simple really
Two things.

1. That mouser defence is not "sorted". They have one very good defender who still shits the bed if you run at him and the rest are bog average to goodish at best. We were shit and they still gifted us 4 good opportunities to score. The pace and ability of their front three hugely covers a very beatable midfield and defence.

2. Who is the 1 in your 4-2-1-3..... ?

In response
1) best defence in the league last season, are you saying robertson and alexander arnold are bog average compared to monreal and maitland-niles (who isn't even a defender so that is a bye)

2) cellabos/ willock/ guendouzi / ozil. In that order. My two would be Luiz / Torreira and the four when fit would be bellerin/ holding/sokratis/ tierney.
1. Ridiculous comparison ffs. Monreal and AMN are terrible defenders. Those two mouser players are average to goodish but not top quality. Top quality midfielders and defenders don't let players waltz through the middle of the park to get one on one with their keeper and they do not concede 4 gilt edged chances to a team playing as shit as we were. The fact that victim team is the second best team in the PL is not an indictment of how good they are - it is a glaring indictment of just how shit and devoid of true quality the PL currently is.

2. That 1 in your formation is a number 10 in reality. Cellabos is not experienced enough yet in the PL and is too loose with possession - he'd be eaten alive by that scum midfield. That's not to say he might not develop into that role but it's too soon for him. Willock? Are you serious? They'd have him as a snack ffs. The Dozer is not a 10 - he too is too loose with his passing and far too often gets caught and gives away cheap possession. Ozil? The only one we have that can link the play and put a ball where it needs to go and retain posession..... but that's Ozil on a good day and he picks and chooses his good days. Also he hasn't played enough yet to be fully match fit so he's a no for me.

I literally would not start any one of those players as a 10 in that formation against the scum at this time.
Just quick question and not to slang off ozil cos on his day he is good but his style doesn't suit these types of games, did he play last season when we beat them or chavs at home, can't remember for certain but don't think he did.

Anyhow, carry on. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:55 am
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 am
We have a front two that are genuinely respected and feared in this league. Adding Pepe makes the front three as dynamic as Liverpool's front three. Klopp got the attacked sorted then sorted out the defence and goalkeeper. Playing out from the back against a high pressing team is suicidal. Basically, against Liverpool and man city you bypass their high press and sling the ball out to the wings. One attacker collects and runs forward with the ball, the other two run alongside in support. One cross and there are two players running in for it. Simple really. Do that from the off and the attacking full backs have to stay back and defend. How do I know this great tactic? I've seen the opposition do it to Arsenal enough times on counter attacks over the last 10 years.
The best way to set up this team is 4-2-1-3. We've an attack that cost £180m. Play all 3 of them at the same time. Pretty simple really
Two things.

1. That mouser defence is not "sorted". They have one very good defender who still shits the bed if you run at him and the rest are bog average to goodish at best. We were shit and they still gifted us 4 good opportunities to score. The pace and ability of their front three hugely covers a very beatable midfield and defence.

2. Who is the 1 in your 4-2-1-3..... ?

In response
1) best defence in the league last season, are you saying robertson and alexander arnold are bog average compared to monreal and maitland-niles (who isn't even a defender so that is a bye)

2) cellabos/ willock/ guendouzi / ozil. In that order. My two would be Luiz / Torreira and the four when fit would be bellerin/ holding/sokratis/ tierney.
1. Ridiculous comparison ffs. Monreal and AMN are terrible defenders. Those two mouser players are average to goodish but not top quality. Top quality midfielders and defenders don't let players waltz through the middle of the park to get one on one with their keeper and they do not concede 4 gilt edged chances to a team playing as shit as we were. The fact that victim team is the second best team in the PL is not an indictment of how good they are - it is a glaring indictment of just how shit and devoid of true quality the PL currently is.

2. That 1 in your formation is a number 10 in reality. Cellabos is not experienced enough yet in the PL and is too loose with possession - he'd be eaten alive by that scum midfield. That's not to say he might not develop into that role but it's too soon for him. Willock? Are you serious? They'd have him as a snack ffs. The Dozer is not a 10 - he too is too loose with his passing and far too often gets caught and gives away cheap possession. Ozil? The only one we have that can link the play and put a ball where it needs to go and retain posession..... but that's Ozil on a good day and he picks and chooses his good days. Also he hasn't played enough yet to be fully match fit so he's a no for me.

I literally would not start any one of those players as a 10 in that formation against the scum at this time.
Just quick question and not to slang off ozil cos on his day he is good but his style doesn't suit these types of games, did he play last season when we beat them or chavs at home, can't remember for certain but don't think he did.

Anyhow, carry on. :lol:
:lol:

You do know the other side of that coin is that Xhakatard played when we beat the chavs so he must be great. :lol: :wink:

BTW I've long agreed Ozil does not suit Dick's style if he wants to play the high press. On the other hand is Dick right to try implement that system given that most of our players cannot play that system effectively? I've always said it either build a team around Ozil's ability to create chances or get rid and tbh he's past his best now so it's a moot point really.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Morning chaps - a rare post from me (which is probably a relief these days :D ) but just wanted to pop back in to gauge the mood about Emery.

Personally I'm still with him, albeit unlike a lot of our windowlicking fanbase these days, I was left totally underwhelmed by the transfer window and I believe we've missed a significant opportunity to upgrade the defence.

I can't believe more people haven't focused on the RB position - we're going to ruin poor old AMN playing him there every week. As if he wasn't terrorised enough in the Europa League final, he will now be expected to play there every time that Bellerin doesn't which could be dozens of games while we're nursing Bellerin back, In any event, Bellerin is a converted winger and fragile defensively. This position is going to hurt us time and time again this season when we face anyone with half decent left wingers

The sale of Monreal??? FFS. So, its ok to sign the Chavski reject aged 32, but let go someone of the same age as they're too old? Tierney needs solid support when he comes back and that isn't Kolasinac I'm afraid. Another mystifying decision which weakens the defence

Now.....David Fucking Luiz, words fail me. Possibly the only CB more braindead than Mustafi and we've gone and bought him. Expect more moronic moments like the one at Anfield from our 'senior' defender throughout the season

I said I would give Dick two seasons including four transfer windows to see a significant improvement in our defensive shape. There was little evidence of that at Anfield for me, and the personnel are still the wrong ones in my opinion.....but the season is still young so I will give it time.

We must produce better performances against the big teams away from home and the first of those opportunities has gone with us well beaten.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Todays game against the Filth will (for me) show us where Emery is at and if he can be a manager of the future, that we can trust and has the ability to see what we all see and make the correct team selection. (ie not select Xhaka & Ozil)

Surely he has to go with Auba, Laca and Pepe up-front from the start, with Torreira holding the mid-field.

The back line is tricky as we are without what would most likely be the automatic choices of Bellerin and Tierney on the flanks in the back line.

May be he will play a back three?

#COYG :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

what's Allegri at these days?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:44 pm
what's Allegri at these days?
He's on a 12 month sabbatical, so if the board contact him now ready for next season.

Riotof91

Post by Riotof91 »

Emery wiII never win a titIe 4 us, sticking with Emery & Ietting CheIsea/Man u nick Allegri isn't 'IoyaI' it's dumb.

Bruce Rioch was hired in 95 & fired in 96 despite taking AFC from 12th to 5th so we couId upgrade 2 Wenger.

#Emeryout is not reactive & wrong but but pro active & right. we need 2 hit that upgrade button whiIe we stiII can b4 we're Ieft hoIding our dicks when Emery inevitabIy gets sacked in a year or 2 and no top manages are avaiIabIe.

give him another year and our rivaIs wouId've upgraded on us whiIe we're Ieft to settIe for mediocrity again, just Iike we ended up with Emery instead of KIopp Because pussy fans didnt want to puII the trigger on Wenger

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Oh for a poll option!
Would really love to gauge peoples opinions on this clown!!

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Losing faith in him fast now. If Xhaka is still a regular in the team, and there's no improvement in our defence by Christmas I won't be sad to see him sacked!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yeah, it is Baffling and Worrying that he still persists with Xhakawanka (yes it rhymes! :D ) if he continues to do so, then I will have to sadly say he is not the manager I hoped he would be.

The problem is after the horrors of wenger, I was at a point where I would have anyone rather than wenker as manager.

Okay, so Emery is Head Coach, but it is he who has the final say on formation, tactics and team selection, he had a year of grace and we now have a better team - because of Raul Sanllehi & his team bringing in the l;ike sof Tierney & Pepe, whilst off-loading as much of the dead wood that they can, so we should by all rights see Much Improvement this season on last season.

Time will tell.

:anyminute:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Raul is a *word censored* the jury is out on the summers signings.
Emery doesn't have what it takes to manage in this league his reign will be remembered as wenger 2 only worse

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Herd wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:48 am
Raul is a *word censored* the jury is out on the summers signings.
Emery doesn't have what it takes to manage in this league his reign will be remembered as wenger 2 only worse
I don't know him and can only go on what I have witnessed so far, but obviously you must know him ( Raul), but he has done more in this last window than wenger , prick law & snake oil gazidis did in their efforts

Signings are always a gamble regardless of their reputation, even so I have Very High hopes (based on their previous form etc) for Pepe and Tierney. Cellabos has great skills that's obvious, it's just a matter of whether he can handle the prem and some of the more physical teams.

As for Unai Emery - Time will tell. :?

Herd

Post by Herd »

Bard mate everyone is creaming over our window simply because we had one for a change .
The best player we signed is a loanee,the rest have yet to either play or havent done much ,Pepe already is reminding me of his countryman gervinho. David Luiz is utter gash.
Emery shows poor judgement in team selection and wants to play in a style our players are incapable of executing,and which won't work in the premiership. The defense issues haven't been addressed at all.