VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: VAR

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:24 pm
CloakedGooner wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:14 pm
According to the commentator they were apparently looking for a stamp or someone scraping their studs down somebodies leg.
They never said that :roll:

Excuse me they did, maybe if your lips weren't moving you might have heard it.
Or "bumping your gums" as I like to say :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:04 am
watched a clip of the NLD post match punditry there. it was on YouTube so they didn't have the rights to show the highlights on it but Dion Dublin says that Rose handled the ball in the box before our first goal. they were obviously looking at the footage at the time of broadcast.

if prefer the goal like everyone else but how come VAR didn't step in?

if man city get a disallowed for a similar incident how come it wasn't even looked at on Sunday.

not even a mention about it on sky

I've watched the Rose penalty incident back but still don't see any hand to ball movement from Rose. I didn't think 'penalty' when it happened in front of us at the time. Old rat face on commentary just went 'oooh' for the pen about 2 seconds after the shout went up and said no more about it. Have to say that there was a lot of embarrassing half cocked bullshit penalty shouts from our lot which we are usually better than. I hate the usual suspect fans who scream for pens/handball when it clearly isn't. Just a personal pet hate of mine.

Citeh's goal was chalked off as any handball intentional or not by the attacking team that leads to a goal is now given as handball. Not the same for the defending side where the old rules still apply (ie whatever the fu.ck the ref decides at the time :roll: ) and for VAR the whole clear and obvious mistake element presumbaly comes into it.....unless it doesn't :lol: I'll tell you what though the whole VAR thing really ruins the celebrations at a NLD, you see the ref touching his ear and think oh shit here we go.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
watched a clip of the NLD post match punditry there. it was on YouTube so they didn't have the rights to show the highlights on it but Dion Dublin says that Rose handled the ball in the box before our first goal. they were obviously looking at the footage at the time of broadcast.

if man city get a disallowed for a similar incident how come it wasn't even looked at on Sunday.

I've watched the Rose penalty incident back but still don't see any hand to ball movement from Rose. I didn't think 'penalty' when it happened in front of us at the time. Old rat face on commentary just went 'oooh' for the pen about 2 seconds after the shout went up and said no more about it. Have to say that there was a lot of embarrassing half cocked bullshit penalty shouts from our lot which we are usually better than. I hate the usual suspect fans who scream for pens/handball when it clearly isn't. Just a personal pet hate of mine.

Citeh's goal was chalked off as any handball intentional or not by the attacking team that leads to a goal is now given as handball. Not the same for the defending side where the old rules still apply (ie whatever the fu.ck the ref decides at the time :roll: ) and for VAR the whole clear and obvious mistake element presumbaly comes into it.....unless it doesn't :lol: I'll tell you what though the whole VAR thing really ruins the celebrations at a NLD, you see the ref touching his ear and think oh shit here we go.
Surely fucking does. When we scored our second I didn't go my usual batshit mental celebrating because I was awaiting the VAR cùnts to rule it out for some bizarre reason or other. Only started leaping about after about two minutes. Fuck VAR.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:08 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:40 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Surely fucking does. When we scored our second I didn't go my usual batshit mental celebrating because I was awaiting the VAR cùnts to rule it out for some bizarre reason or other. Only started leaping about after about two minutes. Fuck VAR.
We were exactly the same for the 2nd so we didn't celebrate it properly at all :( Then we did the whole batshit crazy thing for the third goal without checking the lino first which is normally my first response. Having to climb back up 2 rows of seats was a bit embarrassing :oops: :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Motd praising the Chelsea forward for a "little tug" on the defenders arm so he can get ahead before he scores. So praising cheating and where was var for that one

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:55 am
Motd praising the Chelsea forward for a "little tug" on the defenders arm so he can get ahead before he scores. So praising cheating and where was var for that one
Thought the same, and the Victims had a stone wall penalty not even reviewd

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Another goal yesterday I couldn't celebrate for ages because of this fucking nonsense. :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:55 am
Would have been a different analysis if it had been an Arsenal forward. MOTD cùnts. :censored:

Clash

Post by Clash »

VAR helped last night but rather than this being proof that VAR is a good thing, the attention should be on what a shocking decision that was from the linesman.

The Man United player that played Aubameyang onside was 5 yards from him. VAR should never have been needed for that but he couldnt wait to put his flag up! Shocking decision!!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clash wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 am
VAR helped last night but rather than this being proof that VAR is a good thing, the attention should be on what a shocking decision that was from the linesman.

The Man United player that played Aubameyang onside was 5 yards from him. VAR should never have been needed for that but he couldnt wait to put his flag up! Shocking decision!!
It was Mr BIG BONCE Maguire ... that lino got so many decisions wrong last night he needs to be hooked from the job permanently. The thing is as long as the ferret faced cuntbag Mike (fergies gimp) Riley is in charge of training etc NOTHING will improve. :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Worst offside decision I've ever seen. Boomerang was 5 yards onside ffs. That linesman should be sacked. :roll: :censored:

VAR is still game killing shit btw. :censored:

Also fuck Roy Keane. Total arsehole. :censored:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 am

On the US Feed they said " he was onside by a country mile"

On the Sky feed they said " it was difficult with the defender so close"

For a terrible decision like that, they should take the lino off and replace him with the fourth official.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Was at the Palace game today, not read any of the reaction yet but just watched MOTD and I am so fucking angry about this VAR bullshit !

What a cowardly and corrupt piece of shit this is! Absolute disgrace!

Now, instead of weak dodgy refs which were part of the game, we have faceless, nameless fuckers making result changing decisions in some studio fuck knows where! And they are answerable to nobody it seems. Not anyone publicly anyway!

So how the fuck is this system not open to blatant corruption?

The penalty was dodgy enough but there was nothing wrong with that third goal today. However someone, somewhere, was determined to find something so that it got ruled out! And they couldn’t .... but they ruled it out anyway and the ref just takes their word for it :banghead: !

Also we stood in the crowd for about 2 mins waiting for the check and hear and see nothing while this is happening. Just an eery, confused silence!

If it’s not corrupt, if the decision you are overruling is not controversial and you’ve got nothing to hide, then don’t be cowards! Have the courage to fucking show it and explain it on the screens ... like they do in rugby!

What a cheating piece of shit :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

bunch

Post by bunch »

Clash wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:41 am
If it’s not corrupt, if the decision you are overruling is not controversial and you’ve got nothing to hide, then don’t be cowards! Have the courage to fucking show it and explain it on the screens ... like they do in rugby!
Agree with this. Despite the fact that financially TV revenues are way more important to PL clubs now, fans in the stadium shouldnt get less than the TV viewer.

VAR is based in Stockley Park, near Heathrow, where the PL has its own TV studio as well.

I think that leading up to this week's matches the VARs were briefed in the face of the fact that they had not over-turned a ref decision in the penalty box. They had spotted a few handballs, got the offside right (which are a matter of fact with the technology) but no overturnes decisions or penalties given by VAR. But its gone too far the other way this weekend.

Fouls are always a matter of judgement. Was there contact? Was it deliberate? Was it sufficient to be considered a foul? Did the fouled player go down too easily? So for me if the VAR spots something that they think is a clear error they the ref should review on the pitch-side screen (and show what he is looking at on the stadium big screens). Our disallowed goal and Brighton's penalty I think the ref would have stuck with their decision. The on field red should always be in control and making the judgement calls.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Yesterday was a defining day for VAR in the Premier League and it failed miserably. I would rather take my chances with human error than this corrupt clusterfuck.
I watched the Arsenal incidents again this morning and cannot see why the Arsenal goal was disallowed. Looked at referee Atkinson's sheepish look when making a half hearted TV screen shape with his hand and disallowing the goal..It's as if he knows it is wrong but beyond his control.
Meanwhile at Anfield Liverpool need a goal so they get a penalty..Aurier is clearly attempting to clear the ball, he seems in control of the situation until Mane sticks his left leg in to block the kick and once he feels contact on his leg then it he is "entitled to go down"..
At Carrow Rd two players running alongside each other with minimal contact results in a penalty for Man Utd. Pattern forming here, ie the favoured clubs get the calls.
There was no review of the Sokratis or Saka penalty incidents at Bramall Lane, why not? Maybe the findings of the review would be too awkward.
The authorities and media are desperate for Liverpool to win the title so expect many more decisions in their favour between now and May....
Football was supposed to be cleaned up by VAR, no more contentious calls. What is evident now is that VAR is selective. Calls are subjective in a studio so why not leave these subjective calls to a referee on a pitch who can get a feel for a situation rather than someone sitting in a studio miles away. ?
How can it be sure and certain that the person in the studio hasn't a motive or is under pressure to influence a game and result?
Anyway it's here to stay unless referees call it out for what it is..Maybe VAR has a place in non subjective calls like offside, but it was never meant to be open to interpretation.